• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

SoccerGoaliePro said:
ITS NO SUIKODEN 6 BUT IM HAPPY THAT THE FRANCHISE IS STILL ALIVE WOOOT
Alive... yes.

29pw8zl.jpg

RPGCrazied said:
Finally! Though not really happy it being another handheld game. Oh well. Still dead to me then.

Let's be honest- konami was NEVER going to greenlight the funds necessary to do justice to a full on PS360 quality entry to this series. It's been in decline since II and *constantly* mismanaged.

a solid DS or PSP quality entry is really all anyone can hope for at this point.

(edit: examples of said mismanagement- the LOLworthy box art to suiko I, scarce supply of suiko II in stores, dramatic ball dropping of suiko III and IV when fans were frothing at the mouth for games in the style of I and II, continued absence of ANY kind of re-release of suikoden II, even after I hit PSN and the I and II collection was released on PSP overseas, story progression stops basically dead after suikoden III, and konami decides to make two prequels [IV, V] and two side games [tactics, tierkreis] instead of resolving cliffhangers teased over multiple games..)

Tabris

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME GOD!? I PRAY EVERY DAY FOR A NEW SUIKODEN AND YOU GIVE ME THIS GARBAGE! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?! IS IT BECAUSE I ENJOYED THEM TOO MUCH?! YOU ARE A VENGEFUL GOD!

I hate the new generation so much because it has ruined Suikoden.

Tabris said:
WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME GOD!? I PRAY EVERY DAY FOR A NEW SUIKODEN AND YOU GIVE ME THIS GARBAGE! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?! IS IT BECAUSE I ENJOYED THEM TOO MUCH?! YOU ARE A VENGEFUL GOD!

I hate the new generation so much because it has ruined Suikoden.

suikoden was "ruined" when they screwed up with IV

Tabris

Manmademan said:
suikoden was "ruined" when they screwed up with IV

As a Suikoden fan, there was still a lot to enjoy from IV (I still played it 4 times even though it's my least favourite mainline Suikoden), and they fixed it with V.

As a Suikoden fan I am excited for this, I hope it'll be better than the DS game.

However I must ask, why the PSP of all platforms ? couldn't they wait for Vita ?

Yuterald

They should just do EVERYONE A FAVOR and release Suikoden II on PSN. If you are a Suikoden/RPG fan in general it is a travesty if you have yet to experience Suikoden II.

Tabris said:
As a Suikoden fan, there was still a lot to enjoy from IV (I still played it 4 times even though it's my least favourite mainline Suikoden), and they fixed it with V.

going back to my comment above- II was pretty much the peak of the series, and konami dropped the ball a little bit by deciding to reinvent the wheel with III.

III wasn't a bad game at all, but a little disappointing as a followup to II. (trinity sight system was a little odd, redoing the battle system was a bad move, etc).

What SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED was someone, anyone saying "maybe we should move the series a little closer to I and II now" after the decline in sales and fan complaints (essentially, make V).

INSTEAD, "let's put suikoden on a boat!". and THEN "let's make a tactics game!"

Lots of fans had tuned out and written the games off (because konami kept fucking up!) by the time V was made. which is why i say that IV is the point where the franchise was ruined.

Yuterald said:
They should just do EVERYONE A FAVOR and release Suikoden II on PSN. If you are a Suikoden/RPG fan in general it is a travesty if you have yet to experience Suikoden II.
They shboud do better justice and localize suikoden collection psp. With the diagonals and the upped resolution.

Why is Sony not forcing these devs to push their games to Vita? Or at least PSP/Vita? Or at least giving them a financial incentive to do so :|?

Yuterald said:
Seriously. Suikoden II is honestly one of the best RPG's I've ever played. ~10 years on, I'm so glad I randomly decided to look through a stack of ex-rentals and buy it for NZ$30. I'd only vaguely heard of it, so I was amazed at my luck when I went online afterwards and found out it usually sold for around NZ$200. Then I spent the next few weeks continually replaying it. Great times.

demosthenes said:
Why is Sony not forcing these devs to push their games to Vita? Or at least PSP/Vita? Or at least giving them a financial incentive to do so :|?

there's a 100% chance at this point that any PSP game intended to see western release will be available on PSN, meaning it will be playable on vita.

I'm not really worried about that.

I haven't had a (working) PSP in a couple of years, so the day Vita releases, I'm probably going to be spending a majority of my time catching up on awesome PSP catalog games via PSN. I imagine a lot of other people will be doing the same thing.

Manmademan said:
there's a 100% chance at this point that any PSP game intended to see western release will be available on PSN, meaning it will be playable on vita.

I'm not really worried about that.

I haven't had a (working) PSP in a couple of years, so the day Vita releases, I'm probably going to be spending a majority of my time catching up on awesome PSP catalog games via PSN. I imagine a lot of other people will be doing the same thing.

I guess that would be enough. Just ensure that all future PSP games will be on PSN and maybe build into them the use of the right control stick if played on Vita. Don't really need to announce it for the system but let it be played on it.

duckroll said:
That makes it even stranger then! Where's 2?!

See my previous post on the franchise being "laughably mismanaged."

2 is the most popular entry in the series- konami short ships it to retail. impossible to find within a year of release. no reprints.

Konami releases 1 and 2 on PSP- refuses to release this in the west for bizarre, mysterious reasons.

Konami releases 1 on PSN. Fans buy it, clamor for 2. Still missing.

duckroll said:
Sony could have been the reason there.

could have, but considering how badly konami has managed the series since 2, I don't think it's very likely.

again: there's a direct port of 1 on PSN. it's been there for years now. 2 is entirely absent, despite the fact that it would outsell 1 by several orders of magnitude and require almost no effort to do.

Nix

Banned
Man this is great, if not mildly suspicious news. Does this mean Suikoden is getting back into the game, or is this just the roar before hibernation once more =(

Suikoden 6 <3

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Manmademan said:
could have, but considering how badly konami has managed the series since 2, I don't think it's very likely.
When Konami had those message boards up a few years ago they pretty much said it couldn't be brought over.

daoster

The fact that it wasn'T revealed in dengeki says it all.

Still, translate it and put it on psn so I can criticize it while playing on my vita!!!!

Famassu

duckroll said:
Sony could have been the reason there.
SCEA was, SCEE wasn't. The same reason why Tales of Eternia wasn't released in the US, but was in Europe (SCEA didn't like ports of old games). Guess Konami just decided it wouldn't be worth the effort to localize Suikoden I & II only for Europe.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
duckroll said:
That makes it even stranger then! Where's 2?!

Maybe 2 didn't pass quality assurance because well...

Suiko2-Gibberish2.png

Suiko2-Enemy1.png

Zwei

Manmademan said:
See my previous post on the franchise being "laughably mismanaged."

2 is the most popular entry in the series- konami short ships it to retail. impossible to find within a year of release. no reprints.

Konami releases 1 and 2 on PSP- refuses to release this in the west for bizarre, mysterious reasons.

Konami releases 1 on PSN. Fans buy it, clamor for 2. Still missing.

Seriously. WTF is konami thinking ? It would've made more sense to release II instead of I, in fact. (fuck chronology)

Emotional ride

New Suikoden! - very happy
PSP - I can live with that, I guess
Not the main world - very sad
Hope that it will maybe play like the originals at least - happy
Realization that it will probably never make it over here - sad again

edit: 2 not being on PSN is indeed bullshit.

jj984jj said:
When Konami had those message boards up a few years ago they pretty much said it couldn't be brought over.

bull. suikosource still has boards up- some quick and dirty searching reveals this:

First Day Sales
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=27277

[PSP]&#12288;Suikoden I+II Best&#12288;620&#12288;10%

If there ever was proof for Konami that they don't need to do anything with this compilation, that's it.

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11620&start=15

If the conversation is accurate, that means 620 copies sold of suiko I and II on the first day, out of 6200 TOTAL copies printed. Konami never expected it to be successful, and sales for it were abysmal, which is why it never made it over. Even if SCEA made noise about "Straight ports" there's a ton of additional content (for instance, the suikogaiden text adventure games) that never made it here that could have been added with little effort.

JP copies of suiko I and II are substantially easier to find overseas, and rare as hell in the US, since neither game ever got a "greatest hits" release here. the 1 and 2 collection would have CERTAINLY sold many, many more copies with a US/EU release, but konami brings it out in the one territory that has no real need for the game.

edit: LOL and yeah, fun as it was, II did have some crazy bugs in it from lack of polish.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Manmademan said:
bull. suikosource still has boards up-
Has what boards up? I'm talking about the official boards for the community site done a few years ago, it wasn't specifically for Suikoden but it was still included.

Suiko II won't come to PSN beause it has a few bugs and a sloppy translation in some places. they probably don't want to put the effort in to retranslate the script and fix their mistakes, so that's probably the reason.

i only own the NA version of the game, but i've heard some issues got fixed for the euro release. so that's my guess, and i mentioned the same in past threads as well.

jj984jj said:
Has what boards up? I'm talking about the official boards for the community site done a few years ago, it wasn't specifically for Suikoden but it was still included.

and I'm talking about the sales figures posted to suikosource, which show that the game sold terribly, and was always expected by konami to sell terribly.

if they were serious about releasing the game in the west, they could have (clean up some of the bugs, add additional content), but barely put any effort into the JP release. There's a big difference between "we can't release it in the west" and "We don't think its worth it to put in the effort." guess which one is more likely?

Keep in mind square managed to release a reprint of FF Tactics by adding cutscenes and a couple extra classes.

Konami either doesn't care about the series, is clueless about what to do with it, or both.

Grisby

Never played Tierkreis. Kinda glad the name is back out but still, it doesn't really have anything to do with Suikoden does it?

Manmademan said:
bull. suikosource still has boards up- some quick and dirty searching reveals this:

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11620&start=15

If the conversation is accurate, that means 620 copies sold of suiko I and II on the first day, out of 6200 TOTAL copies printed. Konami never expected it to be successful, and sales for it were abysmal, which is why it never made it over. Even if SCEA made noise about "Straight ports" there's a ton of additional content (for instance, the suikogaiden text adventure games) that never made it here that could have been added with little effort.

i don't believe that one. konami did a reprint of said collection some time ago. they wouldn't have bothered if there was no reason to.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-3vwu.html

Augemitbutter said:
Suiko II won't come to PSN beause it has a few bugs and a sloppy translation in some places. they probably don't want to put the effort in to retranslate the script and fix their mistakes, so that's probably the reason.

i only own the NA version of the game, but i've heard some issues got fixed for the euro release. so that's my guess, and i mentioned the same in past threads as well.

Suikoden 2 did have a shitty localization. But it worked out better for me than many others because I named my McDohl in Suikdone 1's name started with an "M". No ScDohl for me!

Augemitbutter said:
i don't believe that one. konami did a reprint of said collection some time ago. they wouldn't have bothered if there was no reason to.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-3vwu.html

*slaps forehead* now that you say that, those figures ARE probably the sales for the reprint, not the original- the original game came out in much earlier than 2009. So I retract that portion of my comment.

still, since we know FFT made it over and was approved for release, its not like sony had a ban on PS1 games on PSP- they just need to meet a threshold for new content. Square added new cutscenes, classes, and cleaned up the translation. FFT got approved.

Valkyrie Profile was another PS1 game that got a couple of new cutscenes tossed in and a smattering of new content- approved.

Konami didn't want to bother. Suiko I and II got rejected- this is despite the fact that there's TONS of new content (again, suikogaiden) that's never made it stateside.

Ask yourself what's the difference between the releases of Valkyrie Profile and FFT, and the release of Suikoden I&II. The difference is that square was willing to put the minimal amount of effort in for release (even for Valkyrie profile, which wasn't a big name here) and Konami wasn't.

If konami were serious about promoting the series and releasing it here instead of screwing fans, it would have made it over.

wrowa

Manmademan said:
No, this is wrong. Suikoden 1+2 sold roughly 10k units in its first week according to Famitsu. The numbers you quoted are from the later re-release which sold at least 20k LTD according to Famitsu. However, there even was a second re-release released in 2010 which sold about 8k units until the end of the year.

All numbers are taken from garaph: http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

Also, the words "added with little effort" and unreleased "text-adventure games" don't fit very well together.

Majmun

I loved Tierkreis. Collected all of the stars in that game.

This game being like Tierkreis is A-OK with me.

wrowa said:
No, this is wrong. Suikoden 1+2 sold roughly 10k units in its first week according to Famitsu. The numbers you quoted are from the later re-release which sold at least 20k LTD according to Famitsu. However, there even was a second re-release released in 2010 which sold about 8k units until the end of the year.

All numbers are taken from garaph: http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

Also, the words "added with little effort" and unreleased "text-adventure games" don't fit very well together.

yeah, I realized that after a previous poster corrected me.

It still doesn't change the fact that similar games were approved for release with minimal additional content- a couple of cutscenes and a cleaned up translation got VP approved without issue. saying I&II "couldn't" be released at all is flat out false.

Adding in the suikogaiden games isn't exactly a zero effort situation, the games are already made. Translating and including them would qualify as enough new content to get the games stateside.

Yes, it takes effort, but somehow I imagine that's slightly less effort than the "silent hill experience" UMD, that was fully voice acted digital comics/novels that konami was giving away for free as a promotional item.

Top Bottom