• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

B.K.

Drkirby said:
My only guess is due to the few bugs in the game. They weren't game breaking, but they were pretty visable. Both the Imported data from the name, and a few NPCs text were messed up.

But they let Square Enix put Xenogears on the PSN and it has several game breaking bugs that cause the game to crash and force the player to reset the game. The bugs in Suikoden II can't be that bad.

scurker

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if I even want to see another sequel to Suikoden at this point. Given Tierkreis and the time since Suikoden V I'm not sure Konami has capable developers to even understand what fans really want, much less give the series the loving care it really deserves.

I don't mind them being creative with the series, as I thoroughly enjoyed Rhapsodia, but I don't really care to see another "Tierkreis" as that's not really Suikoden to me.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Most likely another horrible game to put the final nail in the coffin for the franchise, so fans can finally stop bugging them for more Suikoden.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
B.K. said:
But they let Square Enix put Xenogears on the PSN and it has several game breaking bugs that cause the game to crash and force the player to reset the game. The bugs in Suikoden II can't be that bad.
Nope, they aren't, so I don't know. Maybe Konami is saving the game's release for something, it isn't like they are bleeding money. Maybe release Suikoden II to hype up this PSP game or something.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drkirby said:
Sadly, I can say without doubt, the opening in Suikoden III is the single best thing in the game. Game just goes down hill from there.

I don't want simply an HD version of Suikoden III, I want a full damn remake. The game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. The plot is great, the game play supporting the plot is horrible.
I kinda agree with that part. I know we've had this discussion before, but I didn't really like the gameplay and some of the dungeon design much. I like Suikoden III a lot, but there are some directions in gameplay and design that I did not enjoy. The ability system was cool in that I can increase how powerful spells could be depending on the character's affinity to the equipped rune, or increase their stat rank, etc. Adding the ability for convoy characters to actually support the party was nice too. But the battle gameplay was really meh.

ctrayne said:
Such a thing would never happen, but a Suikoden action-RPG would be cool. Maybe as the Flame Champion or something?
I would love a Suikoden III prequel as the Flame Champion, mostly because of
what happened to the rune leading to that large explosion that resulted in casualties; and the love story between him and Sana because that was kind of sweet

Laughing Banana said:
I blame Kojima.

Yes.

I BLAME Kojima and his Metal Gear Solid series. Fucking Kojima.

*sigh*
I honestly don't know how I'd feel about a theoretical KojiPro produced/overseen/developed Suikoden. I get the feeling that I won't like it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
I honestly don't know how I'd feel about a theoretical KojiPro produced/overseen/developed Suikoden. I get the feeling that I won't like it.

Have you seen God of War... er... Castlevania: Lords of Shadow?

Probably something horrendous like that... I want my Igavania/Ayami Kojima art back XD

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Dark Schala said:

I'd rather the Suikoden series stays dead.

In the perfect world, it is Suikoden that becomes Konami's most prominent series while Metal Gear Solid can just rot away in the background for all I care. Alas, the world is not that nice. :|

Jaxter09

Drkirby said:
Nope, they aren't, so I don't know. Maybe Konami is saving the game's release for something, it isn't like they are bleeding money. Maybe release Suikoden II to hype up this PSP game or something.
They are still printing 10000 copies a year to sell on ebay

TreIII

Hmmm, not quite what I want, but I'll take what I can get.

At very least, this is probably more than Goemon will probably ever get.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Laughing Banana said:
I'd rather the Suikoden series stays dead.

In the perfect world, it is Suikoden that becomes Konami's most prominent series while Metal Gear Solid can just rot away in the background for all I care. Alas, the world is not that nice. :|
A lot of Konami's stuff has become underwhelming for me, to the point of almost being nonexistent to me (except for maybe the ZOE Collection, Beyond the Labyrinth, maybe Frontier Gate, and uh, this, I guess...). Can't really think of many upcoming things that I'm looking forward to from Konami. Could be forgetting a few things, but the fact that Konami used to be one of my favourite developers/publishers when I was younger and seeing what they've been reduced to, well...

Akselziys said:
Have you seen God of War... er... Castlevania: Lords of Shadow?

Probably something horrendous like that... I want my Igavania/Ayami Kojima art back XD
Despite Lords of Shadow being one of the better 3D Castlevanias, I didn't really enjoy it; not as much as I do the Igavanias or the Classicvanias.. . At least Ayami Kojima did art for Harmony of Despair! :(

Man, I remember the first time I saw the Fumi Ishikawa artwork for Portrait of Ruin and I was like :O

<3 Fumi Ishikawa's work.

You know, now that I think about it... this soundtrack box was delayed. Perhaps they delayed it in order to release it in time with this game. Wouldn't be surprised.

...and they might need to release an updated encyclopedia with details from the upcoming game too. lol.

IrishNinja

Laughing Banana said:
I blame Kojima.

Yes.

I BLAME Kojima and his Metal Gear Solid series. Fucking Kojima.

*sigh*

...so you would rather Konami was a house with no legs underneath it at all? interesting.

wait, forgot about PES.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
daoster said:
Wow. All this hate on the best Suikoden, Suikoden III!

Thomas FTW!
But Nash >>>>>>> Chris >>>>>>>>>>> everyone else! :O

There are simply some design decisions with regards to the gameplay and flow that I didn't really like. The plot is pretty awesome, as are the characters. Actually, upon reflection, Tierkreis was the only game in the series that I really didn't like. It's good game and has some good mechanics, but it's the only one in the series that I don't really desire to replay. :/

It doesn't seem we're going to get a sequel to GS3 (or a prequel, even) anytime soon. It's disappointing.

Paertan

Just got back from a business trip and I read this =D Suikoden is by far my favorite series. This will propably not be as good as the main series but a man can hope.

Seik

Banned
At first I was hyped....

Then I checked the video, which had no gameplay, now I'm mid-hyped....

I read comments saying 'old suikoden is dead'...

... :(

I never managed to finish Tierkreis even though I've spent maybe 30 hours into it and enjoy it. got distracted by other game, maybe I should come back and try to finish it, but I already forgot the story and character, I may have to start a new game. sigh

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Right now, I'm so starved for RPGs that I'll take a look, even if it's not what longtime fans wanted.

Hobbun

Eh, not a classic Suikoden. Not getting excited for this at all.

Unfortunately I think classic Suikoden is dead.

:(

Jay Sosa

All I want is to be able to recruit stars some SRPG elements and renovating/building a castle/ship/whatever.

Other than that I don't give a f about the universe or characters as long as it's fun and compelling.

daoster

Hopefully we have more info coming up soon in an upcoming Famitsu (or more likely, Dengeki), but let's do a little speculating on why Konami decided on putting the game on the PSP as opposed to the DS or 3DS.

- Maybe they want to make a clean break from Tierkreis, and make it a point that this isn't Tierkreis 2. This doesn't necessarily mean that the game can't take place in another one of those infinite worlds, but who knows! Releasing it on the PSP is a way to say, "okay, we're starting anew"

- Maybe they're having an eye towards the future, and with the PSP using memory cards, they'd be able to do something like save transfers for future iterations of the series. With the VITA almost coming out in two months and having its own memory card slot, they wouldn't be left out in the cold either.

My secret hope with no basis whatsoever is that this is a gaiden game, setting the building blocks for Suikoden VI, and by putting it on a PSP...you can transfer your save when Suikoden VI finally comes out (on the PS3)!~ Valkyria Chronicles 2 allowed you to transfer VC1 saves over to the PSP right? There's no reason to think that the opposite couldn't happen (transferring PSP/Vita to PS3).

BELIEVE!

Takao

Banned
daoster said:
Hopefully we have more info coming up soon in an upcoming Famitsu (or more likely, Dengeki), but let's do a little speculating on why Konami decided on putting the game on the PSP as opposed to the DS or 3DS.

- Maybe they want to make a clean break from Tierkreis, and make it a point that this isn't Tierkreis 2. This doesn't necessarily mean that the game can't take place in another one of those infinite worlds, but who knows! Releasing it on the PSP is a way to say, "okay, we're starting anew"

- Maybe they're having an eye towards the future, and with the PSP using memory cards, they'd be able to do something like save transfers for future iterations of the series. With the VITA almost coming out in two months and having its own memory card slot, they wouldn't be left out in the cold either.

My secret hope with no basis whatsoever is that this is a gaiden game, setting the building blocks for Suikoden VI, and by putting it on a PSP...you can transfer your save when Suikoden VI finally comes out (on the PS3)!~ Valkyria Chronicles 2 allowed you to transfer VC1 saves over to the PSP right? There's no reason to think that the opposite couldn't happen (transferring PSP/Vita to PS3).

BELIEVE!

It's none of that. The PSP has 18 million more units than the 3DS does in Japan. The DS's software situation is dying and on its way out. Ergo, you make a game for the platform with the most active userbase - PSP.

daoster

Takao said:
It's none of that. The PSP has 18 million more units than the 3DS does in Japan. The DS's software situation is dying and on its way out. Ergo, you make a game for the platform with the most active userbase - PSP.

:( Reality hurts, but let me dream.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
daoster said:

BELIEVE!
Aw, don't get my hopes up with the save transfer thing. I know people in some fan communities say that the guy in the trailer looks a lot like Flik, but I don't really think so. It would be ... kinda cool if the game's narrative was an alternate retelling of one of the first two Suikoden games in another dimension, but I deeply doubt that this is the case.

I am a tad surprised that they aren't going ahead and just putting it on Vita, to be honest with you (outside of the fact that PSP is still popular in Japan and the userbase for it is huge). Shouldn't PSP saves be compatible with Vita if this were the case? (I'm still of the mindset that this might stay in Japan, especially now taking the theory of importing GS1 and GS2 saves into consideration--though I doubt this will happen). You could have still imported your PS1 Suikoden II save into Suikoden III, for example. Now then, because this is on PSP, I have to wonder whether or not they're going to localize this at all.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach towards Centennial Tapestry. I already know that I'm going to import this even if it isn't quite what I'm hoping it'll be. This is still a gaiden game to me. But even if it follows the "million worlds" basis, if it manages to recapture the essence that made Suikoden "Suikoden", then maybe it'll be okay. I personally would like it to take place back in the old world. I'm just not sure that we're going to get that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Takao said:
Yeah, the PSP is likely the best platform for an RPG right now. The sales likely wouldn't be that much better on the DS at this point, and Konami may be hoping to sell the game for a while on the eshop also.

And like others have said.

Number of PSP sold in Japan: 18 Million.
Number of Vitas sold in Japan: 0 Million.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I saw this topic at the top and was like what!? Then I saw how long ago it had been posted and thought, how could I have possibly missed this news? Of course, it's because I was visiting a friend in a place without internet at that time. And my boyfriend wouldn't even know to tell me since he doesn't care about Suikoden in the slightest.

I'll just be cautiously optimistic, given their last offering...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drkirby said:
And like others have said.

Number of PSP sold in Japan: 18 Million.
Number of Vitas sold in Japan: 0 Million.
I keep getting hooked on the potential the system has to offer, so I keep forgetting that. If this is put on PSN anyway, people can just purchase it for Vita if they choose to wait and not purchase it on PSP. I will be interested in seeing the sales of this new game compared to Tierkreis, though. Will they be better or worse?

Lissar said:
I'll just be cautiously optimistic, given their last offering...
Looks like it's following the "Million Worlds" premise that Tierkreis did with no Old World Suikoden narratives in sight, so keep expectations low.

That's what I'm doing.
Or at least am trying to do... ;_;

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Dark Schala said:
Looks like it's following the "Million Worlds" premise that Tierkreis did with no Old World Suikoden narratives in sight, so keep expectations low.

That's what I'm doing.
Or at least am trying to do... ;_;

Haha, yeah. That's why I can only be cautious about it... but the Suikoden name lights a fire in me that cannot be quenched! I hate to be one of those people, but I know I'll buy anything that has the Suikoden name plastered on it.

leroidys

daoster said:

BELIEVE!

Konami has already proven that they really don't give a shit about file transfers anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Augemitbutter said:
so who will compose the soundtrack this time? hopefully they can get higashino back for a few tracks at the least.
Higashino was supposed to do some work on the Tierkreis soundtrack, but there were scheduling conflicts.

Original Sound Version Interview said:
OSV: Higashino-san’s work on the series is highly regarded among fans, so I’m curious what your thoughts are as to her contributing to Suikoden titles in the future. Given the large teams that often work on Suikoden titles, do you see this is a possibility?

Miura: I am a good friend with Ms. Higashino. Actually, I did ask her to participate in Tierkreis, however due to scheduling conflicts it wasn’t possible for her to work on Tierkreis. As for her contributing to future Suikoden, this is definitely something we hope we can achieve.
The prospect of another soundtrack with Higashino (even with other people helping out like on GS1, GS2, GSVol1, GSVol2 and GSCS) fills me with joy. But I really like the works of the composition staff on GS4/Tactics and GS5 as well. Stuff like Rune of Punishment and Oboro Detective Agency are things I'd love to hear another Genso Suikoden title.

I sincerely hope it includes the same people who did Tierkreis's soundtrack(s), though (Norikazu Miura, Yoshino Aoki, Masaharu Iwata, Kaori Komuro, Hitoshi Fujima, Junpei Fujita, Tomoaki Hirono, Daisuke Kikuta, and Masato Nakayama). That was some really great work. The Plain and the Sky, Porpos' Home, Clash with the Librarian, and Perpetual Day are among these works.

It's too bad the Tierkreis "Night Before the Decisive Battle" (huh, I guess YT doesn't have it; it's too bad because I liked it) theme wasn't what I was expecting. >.> It's a really nice arrangement of the OP song, so that's cool.

funny you bring that interview up, because i did a re-read of that one just two weeks ago. i have nothing negative to say about the new guys, but i still prefer the first two soundtracks over anything else. they set the tone for the whole series and belong to the most consistent RPG soundtracks to me.

i don't expect her to do a full OST ever again, since she retired years ago, just a few tracks will do.

daoster

Augemitbutter said:
funny you bring that interview up, because i did a re-read of that one just two weeks ago. i have nothing negative to say about the new guys, but i still prefer the first two soundtracks over anything else. they set the tone for the whole series and belong to the most consistent RPG soundtracks to me.

i don't expect her to do a full OST ever again, sine she retired years ago, just a few tracks will do.

Suikoden I's castle theme is still my favorite song...of the entire series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwVHh3RJFY

Suikoden III's castle theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFmt6Ib49U) and Suikoden IV's first base song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVtiEhkoLw&fmt=18) are a close second though!

I don't know why...its just so catchy! Actually, I think Suikoden I's soundtrack is probably my favorite from the entire series.

I usually don't care much about video game music, but for some reason, I really like Suikoden's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Augemitbutter said:

i don't expect her to do a full OST ever again, since she retired years ago, just a few tracks will do.
I like that interview. :D

Oh yes, I do too. Those two soundtracks, along with the Suikogaiden arrangements (the Gothic Neclord arrangement is the bomb), are probably my favourites because they were consistently-composed, even the minigame tracks. But I generally like most of the soundtracks. GS4's and GS5's was a wonderful return to form for me because they were trying to recapture that essence of the PS1 soundtracks.

Actually, I think my least favourite of the soundtracks was GS3's. It was more or less like a mixed bag for me. When the tracks really stood out and were impressive, they really stood out and impressed me (ex: Transcending Love, Old Castle by the Lake, Those Blocking the Road, Searching for a Hero of Long Ago, Mysterious People, Midwinter Land, Complicated Thoughts, etc). And then there were some blandly arranged pieces in there as well, or some pieces that didn't really didn't much for me. I was quite disappointed that some of Higashino's older stuff wasn't arranged for the GS3 soundtrack, actually. Especially when the time for "Theme of the Moonlit Night" came up, and it was replaced with this piece (which isn't bad, but I was expecting something else). The arranged album for Suikoden III was good, though. And the vocal version of Searching for a Hero? Love it.

The thing about the Suikoden soundtracks is that I can probably select one single track that would describe the whole game for me. I can't really do that with some other game soundtracks I listen to. I really like how well-put-together some of the standout tracks are.

I really hope they can bring her onto this project. Part of what hooked me into Suikoden was the soundscape of the original PS1 games, so if she can revive that "sound" and bring it to this title, I would welcome it.

Edit:

daoster said:
Suikoden I's castle theme is still my favorite song...of the entire series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwVHh3RJFY

I don't know why...its just so catchy! Actually, I think Suikoden I's soundtrack is probably my favorite from the entire series.
Both of the GS1 castle themes are so catchy. I really love that soundtrack. A lot of the themes are just very well-composed.

Suikoden I's soundtrack still has one of my favourite Suikoden themes ever (Celtic Version selected): Forgotten Days. So good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:
Suikoden in HD, oh what could be... XD

http://nihon.kaisho.org/Random/Prince.png

http://nihon.kaisho.org/Random/Arshtat.png

Suikoden VI, I need you ;-;

I'm curious when Konami will reveal more info and media on Centennial Tapestry...
They need to release an HD collection of the PS2 games. I didn't really mind the loading times in it, but I'm sure Suikoden V might be more enjoyable for people if the loading times were reduced. Those shots look so tempting...

Maybe Jump Festa or a Dengeki issue, hopefully? Just checked the Twitter account and it has not been updated since September 18th. I'm not as torn up about it as I was last week. I'm genuinely curious as to how this game is going to shape up (and I'm gonna import it anyway... >.>).

Hmmm, battles look very Tierkreisesque. Hopefully this will be the end of their "million worlds" experiment.

Take a look at the Kiseki series Konami and remember what you once had, and could have again, please.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmm, battles look very Tierkreisesque. Hopefully this will be the end of their "million worlds" experiment.
At least they're six-member party systems again. I don't really have an attachment to the graphics, though.

What the hell, I'll take the plunge and import it. I didn't care for Tierkreis much, but we'll see how they handle time travel, I guess. The main character learns swordplay from his ancestor?

I really want some of those KonamiStyle bundles, though. Especially the one with the encyclopedia!

That's as great an idea as, say, releasing Suikoden 1 & 2 on PSN.

Which you know means Konami will never do it.

EVER.
Hahahaha, well-put.

Top Bottom