• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hmmm, battles look very Tierkreisesque. Hopefully this will be the end of their "million worlds" experiment.

Take a look at the Kiseki series Konami and remember what you once had, and could have again, please.

I totally agree with you ;)

It won't be. Unless this game is the last in the franchise, every future title will be a million worlds title. Real Suikoden is dead.
Nothing is ever really dead.

I'm going to place the real Suikoden deep into my gamer's heart and then when it returns I'll open the floodgates of emotion and drown the millions worlds in my true rune tears.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It won't be. Unless this game is the last in the franchise, every future title will be a million worlds title. Real Suikoden is dead.
Real Suikoden can live on in Frontier Gate!

24sd4.jpg

I'm not going to deny that this disappoints and somewhat infuriates me, though. Dammit, Konami. All those assets can be improved and used in another Suikoden game taking place in the old world. No need for the Million Worlds concept at all.

Xelinis

The special edition of this game comes with illustrations by Junko Kawano. We may have found our character designer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The entry on the Konami store with all the different things you can buy :)

http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/genso_100y/index.html

And official website updated:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/genso/100-years/
Whoops. Forgot to rip the art from this. I miss Ishikawa already. Most of the character descriptions fall in line with their descriptions from Famitsu. The other characters detailed this week are not up on the site yet. Oh my at some of those textures.

Edit: I decided to translate these. I was kind of busy before, so... forgive me if anything's wrong! :O

Main Character - Tenkai Star (seiyuu: Hiroshi Kamiya)

famitsu said:
He is a swordsman in Terube Village. His father died when he was a child. His mother was killed during clashes with the Holy Aionian Imperial Army several years ago.

"...Please tell me what happened in this time period."

A swordsman from Terube Village. His father died when he was a child. His mother, Signey, died in battle during clashes against the Holy Aionian Imperial Army several years ago. His mother was a swordswoman specializing in the "Blue Flash" style, and had instructed him in the technique since his childhood. Since her death, he has continued his training alone, and was just accepted as a swordsman.

lxQ5s.png

Miyura - Tenei Star (seiyuu: Marina Inoue)

Famitsu said:
She is the Terube Village magician. She is also Gino's sister. After the hero lost both of his parents, she treated him like her real brother.

"As if we'll follow orders from someone who doesn't even understand facial expressions!"

A magician from Terube Village, and she is also Gino's older sister. After the Hero lost both of his parents, they have been raised as if they were real siblings. She is skilled at wielding a magic staff, and is one of the most skilled young mages in Terube Village.

g9R6H.png

Gino - Tentai Star (seiyuu: Jun Fukuyama)

Famitsu said:
Terube Village magic stone (demon stone?) craftsman. He is the hero's childhood friend, as well as Miyura's younger brother. He is easily elated by flattery and praised, but is usually scolded by his older sister as a result.

"You thinking about that again? You're way too serious."

A magic stone craftsman from Terube Village and also Miyura's younger brother. He is the Hero's childhood friend. At his sister's insistence, he became a craftsman of magic stones. He is easily pleased, but likes to behave in a silly manner for others' amusement and thus is scolded by Miyura.

sRywE.png

Dukas - Tenko Star (seiyuu: Katsuyuki Konishi)

Famitsu said:
Commanding officer of the 4th infantry division in the Aionian Holy Imperial Army. He has been dispatched to Terube Village in order to keep them in line.

"If Aionia is a monster, then you guys are some interesting monsters yourselves!!"

Commanding officer of the 4th infantry division in the Aionian Holy Imperial Army. He has been dispatched to Terube Village in order to keep them in line. Although he's a soldier, he has a carefree attitude and can exhibit on-the-spot speech and conduct. But he's very popular because he takes the duty of looking after his subordinates seriously.

TsVEs.png

Zephon - Tenkan Star (seiyuu: Yuki Kaji)

Famitsu said:
A mysterious child appearing before the hero when he sought shelter in the fortress ruins and teleported the hero 100 years in the past.

"This tree is called the Tree of Time. It extends its branches and leaves, transcending time."

A mysterious boy who suddenly appears before the Hero, and sends him and his friends into the past with the power of the Tree of Time.

rfqRA.png

And then the images in the gallery section:

arGQB.jpg

eq9Lp.jpg

Q21iu.jpg

nGlNz.jpg

pedK5.jpg

KlPpt.jpg

EBVRR.jpg

Ir1H8.jpg

RnRat.jpg

q2i9p.jpg

1vvNi.jpg

yfs7K.jpg

frequency

I like the character outfits. The main character gives me a Flik vibe... maybe it's just the blue/bandana thingy.
His face in one of those shots makes me think Yuri (ToV) though.

Acrylic7

typical character designs.

I have no idea why people insist on creating male characters with half shirts (that painstakingly obvious thief class character)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The art is just too simplistic looking, kinda like Tierkreis's >.<

It needs more detail, more passion, more awesomeness a'la the mainline Suikoden art~

Designs are good, art isn't exciting.
The outfits are nice enough, very belty though. But the characters themselves aren't that interesting, and the art style is definitely not helping.

The heavy armor dude is the only one that seems semi-intriguing just by looking at the art, but I have a feeling he's the probably the
Ted/Jowy/Lulu/Snowe/Sialeeds/Dirk
of the game.

I have no idea why people insist on creating male characters with half shirts (that painstakingly obvious thief class character)
I don't mind half shirts when they are implemented well. (ie. Not on scrawny waifs.)

So... the chance this game will get an English release?
A PSN release, maybe. Doesn't look too promising right now though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm going to bet on none because PSP and Tierkreis didn't do so well.

It's a PSP game in 2012. Zero chance.

Well isn't that just fantastic that they finally decide to release a Suikoden game like this. Utterly, incredibly, fantastic.

For what it's worth, I just want to say that Suikoden V has the most fantastic character/clothing design of all Suikodens.

And with that, I will continue retreat to that dark corner over there to cry and curse Konami for all eternity.

Acrylic7

The outfits are nice enough, very belty though. But the characters themselves aren't that interesting, and the art style is definitely not helping.

The heavy armor dude is the only one that seems semi-intriguing just by looking at the art, but I have a feeling he's the probably the
of the game.

I can read these characters like a book. Makes me not take the story seriously.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The art is just too simplistic looking, kinda like Tierkreis's >.<

It needs more detail, more passion, more awesomeness a'la the mainline Suikoden art~
FREE ISHIKAWA! :D

It's odd because I liked Kawano's art for Genso Suikoden. Why the art looks so off here is kind of mindboggling... :/

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
FREE ISHIKAWA! :D

It's odd because I liked Kawano's art for Genso Suikoden. Why the art looks so off here is kind of mindboggling... :/

Well, that's assuming it's Kawano.

A guest illustration, is just that, a guest illustration XD

Like how Ishikawa did the drama CD art for Tierkreis, so the same could apply for Kawano here lol

I don't think it's Kawano IMO >.<

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think it's Kawano. I think she's just doing some of the promo art.
I don't think it's Kawano IMO >.<
Yeah, the art looks too strange to be Kawano's.

Who did the art for Tierkreis again? The person who did Order of Ecclesia's art, right?

(lol, I never really bothered to do in-depth research into Tierkreis's credits due to disinterest...)

of the game.
Well... maybe. The character description says that he's the commander of the fourth division of the advance troops of the Holy Aionian Imperial Army, and was sent there to make sure the hero's hometown doesn't do any funny business (ie: keep them obedient to their lord or something).

Paertan

Propably wont be that good but I will buy a PSP and try if it gets a trnslation. Bought a DS for Tierkreis so why not.

But yes please sell the rights Konami. You seem to have dropped the ball after Suikoden 5.

I still dream for a Suikoden 6 in Suikoden 2 style but HD.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I saw the thread title and thought "NEW SUIKO--oh, right, that game." I had completely wiped it from my mind. Remembering was painful.
Still going to play it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Given that Trails LOOKS to be a better Suikoden than Suikoden these days (even if the first installment's way closer to Lunar in tone) it's definitely the better reason. Though who knows where we'll even get the next parts? :/
At least Falcom treat their series' lores properly. I was planning on importing the Trails games that have gone budget sometime in the new year, but I'd much rather play them in English. Fingers-crossed!

A Falcom-developed Suikoden game is like the stuff of dreams, though.

Also, boxart:

BVbEG.jpg

ctrayne

Well, the box art is amazing, but I'm not digging anything else about it so far. We'll see. Not invested at all.

Edit: The furigana above the title feels weird to me. In fact, the whole logo is unwieldy.

the char. designer from tierkreis/ecclesia is wonderful if you let him. konami used simplified versions of his work for tierkreis ingame, that i didn't like.

can't say i like the new? guy any better. faces are so flat and blank. the costumes are fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looks a loooot more exciting than Tierkreis at least, though that isn't saying much.
Well... it has time travel! Depending on the writer, this could be good or bad. The main character learns how to use a sword from his ancestor (Torwald Albarek)? He recruits him, I guess, since he's assigned to a Star of Destiny.

I posted this in the Famitsu thread, but I'll post it here too. Four more characters were introduced this week. I'll add some info from the actual article.

In the beginning of the game, after the main character has his first encounter with the "Centennial Monster," he goes back in time by 100 years, where he learns sword techniques from his ancestor. When he returns to the present, he fights the Centennial Monster, but...

Also, four characters are introduced in this little snippet:

Chiki Star - Toruwado Arubureku (Daisuke Ono) (I've romanized this as Torwald Albarek, but it'll probably be different from other people's)
This fellow is the main character's ancestor from 100 years ago. He fights against the Centennial Monster in his era as part of the military. He treats the main character as a younger brother.

Chimou Star - Rorufu Raugu (Koji Yusa) (romanized as Rolf Raug)
Torwald's best friend. He is a mage who was an officer during the battle against the Centennial Monster.

Tenju Star - Ilia Barukai (Mamiko Noto)
The village healer. She's like an older sister to the hero and his friends. The village where she was born and raised disappeared when she was child. She was adopted by the mayor of Shulat Town.

Tensui Star - Meamei (Hisako Kanemoto)
A... sub-race (&#20124;&#20154;) girl. (She is part of a race in this game that is looked down upon by humans. I saw the scan and it says she's part of a tribe called the Feather Tribe (yeah, she looks like a bird). She's self-reliant and lives alone in the forest.

Kikujiro

Even if this won't come here I'm pretty sure the Suiko fanbase will translate it as soon as possible, so that's not a problem. But I hope it'll come here so they can take my money.

they 're learning from teh ds mistakes while not correcting a lot of things . I need more informations about teh battle system..but those designs and graphics dooesn't feel very suikoden to me.

( it's trully a shame after suiko5 that they lost their way )

Well... it has time travel! Depending on the writer, this could be good or bad. The main character learns how to use a sword from his ancestor (Torwald Albarek)? He recruits him, I guess, since he's assigned to a Star of Destiny.

I posted this in the Famitsu thread, but I'll post it here too. Four more characters were introduced this week. I'll add some info from the actual article.

Oh yeah time travel is usually hit or miss with me in jRPGs. If it's plot driven then I usually don't care for it, but if the time travel aspect is a gameplay mechanic, like Trigger or Historia then it could be good. Best to keep expectations in check though. Having 6 characters in battle already makes me interested (hate 4 party battles in Suikoden).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even if this won't come here I'm pretty sure the Suiko fanbase will translate it as soon as possible, so that's not a problem. But I hope it'll come here so they can take my money.
I don't think the Suikoden fanbase is that large anymore. I'm not even sure if they're still working on that patch for Genso Suikogaiden Vols I and II. (If they still are working on it, and if it comes out, I encourage fans of Suikoden I, II and III to get copies of the gaiden games! Suikogaiden acts as a wonderful supplement to Suikoden II.)

Not to mention that this game does not use the Old World lore. I'd imagine that plenty of those fans willing to translate a game aren't going to do this one just because it concentrates on the Million Worlds thing.

they 're learning from teh ds mistakes while not correcting a lot of things . I need more informations about teh battle system..but those designs and graphics dooesn't feel very suikoden to me.

( it's trully a shame after suiko5 that they lost their way )
Six member parties. From the scans I saw, the battle system looks like it's like Tierkreis's. Everyone was in a strange formation on the field (it looked like there were rows, but the scan quality was really bad, so I'm not sure...). Everyone's character portrait and what looks like to be HP/MP bars (no, I do not see rune spell numbers per level here) are on the bottom of the screen. Oh well. I guess more info is coming later.

Maybe it's the quality of the scans, but the graphical style looks... boring.

Oh yeah time travel is usually hit or miss with me in jRPGs. If it's plot driven then I usually don't care for it, but if the time travel aspect is a gameplay mechanic, like Trigger or Historia then it could be good. Best to keep expectations in check though. Having 6 characters in battle already makes me interested (hate 4 party battles in Suikoden).
I have to wonder if you can freely travel back and forth through time to recruit people. I'm keeping my expectations tremendously low. It could be like Tierkreis: a decent RPG on its own, but a poor Suikoden. At least I know from experience to keep my expectations from getting too high.

Zafir

Shame we won't get it regardless. I enjoyed Tierkreis for what it was. I suppose I went in with a far more open mind than most though. I think I could easily enjoy this PSP game too.

frequency

Shame we won't get it regardless. I enjoyed Tierkreis for what it was. I suppose I went in with a far more open mind than most though. I think I could easily enjoy this PSP game too.

I enjoyed it too. I think it's just that a lot of Suikoden fans just really wanted a continuation from 2. As great as that would be, it won't happen now. I see Suikoden more as a Final Fantasy type thing now where there are some common elements and themes but the games are not really connected. That lets me enjoy them as just "standalone" RPGs.

Except 4. It has some stuff I liked but I didn't enjoy 4 overall.

Suikoden isn't what it used to be but I'm just glad that it still exists and still has enjoyable games in the franchise.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
i want to cry because this game will never come in english

Suzzopher

Zafir

Yeah, Persona 3 and Persona 2 have been released in Europe on PSP. Actually Persona 1 did too, but it was PSN only.

Hmm, I wonder what it is...

suzu

The characters look Suikoden ish, but not very "main cast" like though (IMO). I hope it will be released in English, but that seems to be a longshot.

Top Bottom