• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

In David Sheff's Game Over, he had a part about how absolutely hated the SNES launch was at the time by enthusiasts because Super Mario World looked like such a miniscule and uninventive leap over SMB3.

I've been thinking about that book a lot lately.

Exactly

A 2d mario platformer is the perfect launch title right now.

No game for them will

A) Sell that much

B) Be a slow burner

The only reason I say the wii u has a chance to sell out is because of mario u
There are enough Nintendo fans and Wii owners to make it sell out at launch regardless. Its 3 months after launch that NSMBU will show its staying poer

RedSwirl

It'll be out before the end of 2012 surely. If it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread, it'll be basically the same as Super Smash Bros. Melee - basically a launch title as far as everyone who get's one this holiday is concerned.

Drago

It'll be out before the end of 2012 surely. If it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread, it'll be basically the same as Super Smash Bros. Melee - basically a launch title as far as everyone who get's one this holiday is concerned.
Why bump this thread?

Made me think there was news about the game not being a launch title for a second

The Wii-U Launch is already shaping up to be a failure and to me if you support that you are encouraging Nintendo to lower the bar. I am not going to reward failure and so I will purchase Wii U when it has real content to offer. I am sick of these weak ass console launches.

Blasty

If this were to come true it could be a good and a bad thing. Without a Mario game third party games might sell more, but Nintendo might not sell as many units.

Diablos54

The Wii-U Launch is already shaping up to be a failure and to me if you support that you are encouraging Nintendo to lower the bar. I am not going to reward failure and so I will purchase Wii U when it has real content to offer. I am sick of these weak ass console launches.
Have you ever seen a console launch before? Because this is a damn good one. Lots of different genres and some quality titles. It's almost as if people are complaining just for the sake of it.

qq more

oh you

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

can't wait to waste my money on shite games like NSMBU

Have you ever seen a console launch before? Because this is a damn good one. Lots of different genres and some quality titles. It's almost as if people are complaining just for the sake of it.

wtf ive seen them all and this is easily one of the most pathetic. Where are the AAA standout titles that show what this system can do? All I see a minigame compilation, another zombie game, and another New Super Mario bros game (that is now going to be delayed on top of that)

I come from a time when consoles would launch with high profile titles like Soul Calibur, Super Mario 64, Halo, Rogue Squadron and Dead or Alive 3. What Nintendo is offering for launch isnt going to cut it with me.

Diablos54

I come from a time when consoles would launch with high profile titles like Soul Calibur, Super Mario 64, Halo, Rogue Squadron and Dead or Alive 3. What Nintendo is offering for launch isnt going to cut it with me.
NSMB? Wii Fit? 2 sequels to 2 of the highest selling titles this gen is not high profile? Zombi U? Pikmin? P-100? (Although I'm not sure the last 2 are launch, maybe launch window). You can't just disregard these because you don't like them.

Agreed. Hell, even the stack of late ports (sans NG3) are better than anything Ps3 or X360 had at launch. Say what you will about Arkham City but that game alone completely murders anything I've seen at any launch ever. Not that I'm planning on buying it... (double dipped already, triple is excessive)

The only issue I see at this point is that Nintendo Land might not be the killer app they're looking for. Then again, with how much shit Wii Sports got amongst the hardcore gaming community you never know. Could wind up an absolute MONSTER.

wtf ive seen them all and this is easily one of the most pathetic. Where are the AAA standout titles that show what this system can do? All I see a minigame compilation, another zombie game, and another New Super Mario bros game (that is now going to be delayed on top of that)

Would you rather have ONE big AAA title at launch and then an extreme software drought for months? Because that has been the case for every other console for years. And NSMB is not being delayed FFS

IrishNinja

dammit, between this and Pikmin 3 i guess it's just P100 for me at launch? hoo boy, thankfully ive a wii backlog going

so you havent seen a good launch in over a decade now either, huh

Glass Joe

This is just a baseless rumor at this point, but I actually think it would be a smart move for Nintendo to delay NSMB to at least December.

Consoles sell well out of the gate out of newness alone. November also gives the U a natural holiday push. It's not like the 3DS situation, coming out in March with no compelling software. Even without Mario, there's some interesting stuff for U.

It would also give a chance for Zombi U and especially Rayman to sell some units. Getting some sales from 3rd party stuff might send a better message to the industry than "everyone bought a U and Mario and everything 3rd party sold like shit."

Face it, would the average consumer pick up two sidescrollers in one day? And having a choice, which mascot would they go with -- Mario or Rayman? Mario would keep the early momentum going with a December release and force attention on other offerings.

hatchx

Banned
Guys, a Nintendo "launch" or "launch window" lasts around 6 months to a year. Kid Icarus was a launch title for 3DS, remember?

I fully expect P-100 and Pikmin 3 to slip into 2013, as late as the holidays.

bh7812

Banned

Thank you for saying this, these are my feelings exactly! That launch is going to be a very strong one. Within a very short time of launch, and surely by years end there will be around 30 games already for Wii U. THIRTY. Even if you're not interested in all 30 of those games..and I'm certainly not, you cannot possibly say they are not trying their best for a super strong launch. Every genre will be represented at launch, with the exception of a JRPG. Outside of that, it's really all there. I just don't understand how people are saying this launch is "not enough", I respect the opinion but I'm just not getting it. It's launching with a Mario game for the first time in 16 years that looks like it'll be more or less a Super Mario World..that should be a huge thing right there. Most console launches struggle to launch with a dozen games..this one will be launching with 2 to 2 1/2 times that number. Maybe not all good games, maybe not the genres people are wanting at launch but they're doing their damndest to have a strong number of games ready for launch. Also important is it's launching with 3rd party support, too.

I want to address one thing because I've been reading it all summer and it's a silly thing. I think Nintendo's launch strategy is smart. Period. They're showing you all the stuff you can play on Day 1 immediately. The stuff that will make up their Holiday strategy for this system this year. Not games coming 2-3 years from now. I can tell you, what the average, regular person who will be buying one of these this Christmas will be far, far more concerned with what they can buy right there, that day in the store as part of the launch. They're not as concerned as others about what may or may not be coming a few years from now. At E3, what good would it have done if they'd flashed the logos and just the logos for SSB4, Retro's game, Mario Galaxy 3 or whatever that will be, and Zelda U on the screen? Especially when those games are all at LEAST a year and a half off probably? It doesn't do any good to do that. What they concentrated on that day was the smartest thing they could have done. They made the right choice on what to concentrate on. They'll show all that other stuff sometime next year most likely. Right now, they absolutely need to do everything possible to show what games you can buy and play on your Wii U THIS Christmas. 2013 and 2014 are a whole different story and should be dealt with starting next year. It needs to get off the ground, establish itself and get a good install base going this year. I think their strategy is sound just solely for this Christmas and most regular joe xconsumers would probably agree. It looks like a fantastic launch and even if I don't want say Wii Fit U, or some of the lesser known titles I cannot deny they have a hell of a line up just as far as number of titles go and good representation of nearly all genres too.

Only two of those games are impressive launch titles compared to the Wii U launch titles.

Diablos54

Guys, a Nintendo "launch" or "launch window" lasts around 6 months to a year. Kid Icarus was a launch title for 3DS, remember?

Reggie said it was up to 4 months. But then, it's Reggie.

And if I remember right, KI was never actually a launch title. Might be wrong though.

BlazinAm

The whole launch windows logic is pretty dumb, if it isn't there at launch it isn't a launch game. Same thing that Sony did with Gravity Rush and that was four months after.

hatchx

Banned
I want to address one thing because I've been reading it all summer and it's a silly thing. I think Nintendo's launch strategy is smart. Period. They're showing you all the stuff you can play on Day 1 immediately. The stuff that will make up their Holiday strategy for this system this year. Not games coming 2-3 years from now. I can tell you, what the average, regular person who will be buying one of these this Christmas will be far, far more concerned with what they can buy right there, that day in the store as part of the launch.

I'll probably be picking up a WiiU on launch day, but you are crazy if you think everything we've seen will be available Day 1. They use the term launch window very freely. I'd expect Q1 2013 to be nothing but the 'launch window' games.

And remember, Paper Mario for 3DS was shown at e3 2010. It's coming out this november, 2 and a half years later.

Now the WiiU could have a great launch and it very well might, but Nintendo's odd silence and NDA's on developers make things very curious. Knowing Nintendo, I have to expect the worst.

Hiltz

Platinum Games was pretty quick to state that P-100 was a launch-window title to indicate that it wouldn't be coming out this year.

Medalion

Banned
I always remember hearing "launch window" for all these games including Pikmin 3.

Yeah... technically the console could launch with no games... cuz the games have a launch "window" ya see... as long as its within 4 months of the system's debut... it's a window

Mariolee

In David Sheff's Game Over, he had a part about how absolutely hated the SNES launch was at the time by enthusiasts because Super Mario World looked like such a miniscule and uninventive leap over SMB3.

I've been thinking about that book a lot lately.

Always a nugget of wisdom in every post you make.

NSMB? Wii Fit? 2 sequels to 2 of the highest selling titles this gen is not high profile? Zombi U? Pikmin? P-100? (Although I'm not sure the last 2 are launch, maybe launch window). You can't just disregard these because you don't like them.

P-100 is more than likely not a launch title, no idea about Pikmin but it's definitely not a MAJOR release, zombieU looks too simple and I have a feeling is just going to be red steel all over again. We are under the assumption that nsmbu is not a launch title Oh and wii fit can go fuck itself.

Tough luck then.

With your standards, we haven't seen a decent launch since a decade ago.

Bs the vita had a very good launch lineup software wise. Xbox 360 had call of duty 2 and two New RARE games which believe it or not was still a big deal at the time, and even ps3 had Resistance

hatchx

Banned
I expect:

NSMBU at launch
Pikmin 3 before the end of the year
P-100 in Q1 2013

I expect:

NSMBU before the end of the year
Pikmin 3 in Q1 2013
P-100 in Q-4 2013

....and I think I'm being optimistic. Pikmin 3 could easily be a June title with P-100 slipping into Q1 2014. This is Nintendo we're talking about.

NateDrake

I expect:

NSMBU before the end of the year
Pikmin 3 in Q1 2013
P-100 in Q-4 2013

....and I think I'm being optimistic. Pikmin 3 could easily be a June title with P-100 slipping into Q1 2014. This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Hahahahahah....not a chance in hell. To quote the great Kamiya "Use your brain."

NSMBU = Launch
Pikmin 3 = Launch Window (Nov--March)
P-100 = Same as Pikmin 3.

We'll know in less than 2 weeks what will be there day 1. Remember, Nintendo isn't afraid to release something in December and Pikmin 3 could be that title.

End of story.

There's no way Project P-100 gets pushed to Q4 2013, much less 2014.

Nintendo made it obvious that they wanted to focus on games in the launch window. Showing a game that would take another year and a half to complete would have gone against their goal.

Top Bottom