• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

AntMurda

Even if it launched with Mario, Wii U would be the worst Nintendo console launch line up. Without Mario, it would be appallingly bad.

It's better than the GameCube launch line up. I loved Blue Storm. But Super Mario U and Nintendo Land are overall much more exciting than Luigi's Mansion and Blue Storm.

Well because it was still something. (Even if it's nowhere near being adequate.) Taking even that away would be suicide.

You don't find anything wrong with that picture? I'm actually reading old threads about Reggie's statement about insatiable gamers. A lot more people than I expected were putting down Nintendo's efforts with New Super Mario Bros. U.

I don't think it's quite fair to suddenly get upset when we don't get a game that we've been belittling.

The wii u

with mario, pikmin, rayman, zombie u , scribblenauts, sonic racing, p 100, batman ( never played it) all in the immediate launch window is pretty nice

Anth0ny

Seriously? Worse than the n64 and the gamecube? really? The n64 had ONLY TWO games for crying out loud!

quality>quantity

Mario 64 is one of the greatest games of all time. I still play it consistently today.

It's better than the GameCube launch line up. I loved Blue Storm. But Super Mario U and Nintendo Land are overall much more exciting than Luigi's Mansion and Blue Storm.

Gamecube had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. Nuff said.

Also, SSBM came out like 2 weeks after launch.

donny2112

Well, holiday season matches up perfectly with the week before thanksgiving. October doesn't.

Fine. It can release on Friday of that same week, November 2. Assassin's Creed III can still launch on October 30, then. Pretty sure a couple of games were released for GameCube prior to the system launch, too. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fine. It can release on Friday of that same week, November 2. Assassin's Creed III can still launch on October 30, then. Pretty sure a couple of games were released for GameCube prior to the system launch, too. :)

Ha. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it launch earlier- just seems like all the hints are at the exact same launch schedule as the Wii.

Glass Joe

Pretty sure I heard "at launch" from Reggie's mouth in prior interviews / E3, which is different to my ears than launch window. If that doesn't happen, there will hopefully be a compelling reason. If they can get the U out earlier than November 18th (the date I'm banking on), then that's potentially fine... As long as they're doing it to appease 3rd parties, it makes sense, even.

They can hope the newness of the system sells the console in October, and that way it won't be directly competing with Rayman, Zombi, NintendoLand and other stuff that might get ignored. Then the holidays will naturally regenerate interest in the console, along with Pikmin in November and NSMB in December for additional momentum. So, doing so could avoid an impression of a software drought.

Plus, I think two mainline 2D Mario games released so close together is just dumb no matter how you slice it. Any gap they can give will actually probably help both entries (referring the the 3DS's NSMB 2).

donny2112

just seems like all the hints are at the exact same launch schedule as the Wii.

If they launch November 18, then NSMBU has to be a launch day title. If it's not a launch day title, then that says to me that the Wii U launch will be before November 18. Just can't fathom Nintendo purposefully missing their traditional November big game slot, when NSMB U seems like it would be that big game.

481078_front.jpg

bridegur

The Gamecube had a pretty good launch in comparison to the Wii U. Luigi's Mansion was a new idea, Rogue Squadron looked great, Wave Race was extremely solid and showed off a lot of what the GC could do, and Monkey Ball is still one of the best party games available. Plus, wasn't Smash Bros. available pretty soon after launch, as well?

In direct battles

mario U vs luigi winner - wii u
pikmin 3 vs wave race winner - wii u
monkeyball vs nitnendoland winner - gamecube

Not sure what matches up with scribblenauts rayman

Launch Windows (launch date through Jan 1st)

NES (Oct-Dec 1985)
10-Yard Fight (Nintendo)
Baseball (Nintendo)
Clu Clu Land (Nintendo)
Donkey Kong Jr. Math (Nintendo)
Duck Hunt (Nintendo)
Excitebike (Nintendo)
Golf (Nintendo)
Gyromite (Nintendo)
Hogan's Alley (Nintendo)
Ice Climber (Nintendo)
Kung-Fu (Nintendo)
Mach Rider (Nintendo)
Pinball (Nintendo)
Stack-Up (Nintendo)
Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
Tennis (Nintendo)
Wild Gunman (Nintendo)
Wrecking Crew (Nintendo)

Super NES (Aug-Dec 1991)
Actraiser (Enix)
Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball (Hudson Soft)
Darius Twin (Taito)
Drakkhen (Kemco-Seika)
Final Fantasy II (Squaresoft)
Final Fight (Capcom)
F-Zero (Nintendo)
Gradius III (Konami)
HAL's Hole in One Golf (HAL America)
Home Alone (THQ)
Hyperzone (HAL America)
John Madden Football (Electronic Arts)
Lagoon (Kemco-Seika)
Miracle Piano (The Software Toolworks)
Paper Boy 2 (Mindscape)
Pilotwings (Nintendo)
Populous (Acclaim Entertainment)
RPM Racing (Interplay)
Sim City (Nintendo)
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 (Culture Brain)
Super Bases Loaded (Jaleco)
Super Castlevania IV (Konami)
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Nintendo)
Super Mario World (Nintendo)
Super Off-Road (Tradewest)
Super R-Type (IREM)
Super Tennis (Nintendo)
The Chessmaster (Mindscape)
True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club (T&E Soft)
Ultraman: Towards the Future (Bandai)
U.N. Squadron (Capcom)

Nintendo 64 (Sep-Dec 1996)
Cruis'n USA (Nintendo)
Killer Instinct Gold (Nintendo)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Midway Games)
Pilotwings 64 (Nintendo)
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64 (Nintendo)
Wave Race 64 (Nintendo)
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (Midway Games)

Gamecube (Nov-Dec 2001)
All-Star Baseball 2002 (Acclaim Entertainment)
Batman Vengeance (Ubisoft)
Crazy Taxi (Acclaim Entertainment)
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2 (Acclaim Enertainment)
Disney's Tarzan Unlimited (Ubisoft)
FIFA Soccer 2002 (EA Sports)
Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo)
Madden NFL 2002 (EA Sports)
NFL Quarteback Club 2002 (Acclaim Entertainment)
NHL Hitz 20-02 (Midway Games)
Pikmin (Nintendo)
SSX Tricky (EA Big)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (LucasArts)
Super Monkey Ball (Sega)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo)
The Simpsons Road Rage (EA Games)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Activision)
Universal Studios Theme Parks Adventure (Kemco)
Wave Race: BlueStorm (Nintendo)
XG3: Extreme-G Racing (Acclaim Entertainment)

Wii (Nov-Dec 2006)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (THQ)
Barnyard (THQ)
Call of Duty 3 (Activision)
Disney / Pixar's Cars (THQ)
Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Disney Interactive Studios)
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Namco Bandai Games)
Elebits (Konami)
Excite Truck (Nintendo)
Far Cry Vengeance (Ubisoft)
GT Pro Series (Ubisoft)
Happy Feet (Midway Games)
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown (Sierra Entertainment)
Madden NFL 2007 (EA Sports)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
Metal Slug Anthology (SNK Playmore)
Monster 4x4: World Circuit (Ubisoft)
Need for Speed: Carbon (EA Games)
Open Season (Ubisoft)
Rampage: Total Destruction (Midway Games)
Rapala Tournament Fishing (Activision)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft)
Red Steel (Ubisoft)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (THQ)
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Sega)
Super Swing Golf (Tecmo)
The Ant Bully (Midway Games)
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (Midway Games)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Ubisoft)
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (Activision)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Atlus)
Wii Sports (Nintendo)
World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions (Activision)

Wii U (???-Dec 2012)

official
Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes (Nicalis)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games)
Ben 10: Omniverse (D3 Publisher)
BIT.TRIP presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games)
Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules)
Cloudberry Kingdom (Pwnee Studio)
Darksiders II (THQ)
Family Party: 30 Great Games (D3 Publisher)
Game & Wario (Nintendo)
Jeff Tailfin Racing (Maximum Games)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo)
Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft)
Marvel Pinball (Zen Studios)
Mass Effect III (EA Games)
Mighty Switch Force! HD (Wayforward Technologies)
NBA 2K13 (2K Sports)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge (Nintendo)
Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
Project P-100 (Nintendo)
Rabbids Land (Ubisoft)
Rayman Legends (Ubisoft)
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game (D3 Publisher)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (WB Games)
Sing (Nintendo)
Skylanders: Giants (Activision)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sega)
Sports Connection (Ubisoft)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco Bandai Games)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai Games)
Toki Tori 2 (Two Tribes)
Tranformers Prime: The Game (Activision)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (FrozenByte)
YourShape Fitness Evolved 2013 (Ubisoft)
Wii Fit U (Nintendo)
Wii U Panorama View (Nintendo)
ZombiU (Ubisoft)

unofficial
007 Legends (Activision)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)
Deca Sports 12 (Konami)
DiRT 3 (Codemasters)
Disney Animator (THQ)
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney Interactive Studios)
F1 Race Stars (Codemasters)
FIFA Soccer 13 (EA Sports)
Game Party 4 (WB Games)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (EA Games)
Madden NFL 13 (EA Sports)
Monsters Party (???)
PES 2012: Pro Evolution Soccer (Konami)
The Sims (EA Games)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online (Ubisoft)
Warriors Orochi 3 (Tecmo Koei Games)

Fredrik

It doesn't matter if you're personally not "wowed" by the NSMB series. Saying a NSMB game won't move systems is like saying Star Wars movies don't get people to buy movie tickets.
Buying a new Star Wars movie ticket and buying gaming system to play a new NSMB game is hardly the same thing. I'm talking about the quality of the game as a system-seller, not as a game for a gaming system you already own.

Again, I just don't see how the fourth game in the "New" series with the same visual style and core gameplay mechanics is going to sell systems, unless of course I've missed something really really important about the game. Maybe I have? What's the biggest selling ponit for it? What would they focus on in a TV commercial for the WiiU? What's the "OMG I need to get this!!" feature?

It's already out, didn't you hear? Been around for three years...
Obvious troll is obvious.

Buying a new Star Wars movie ticket and buying gaming system to play a new NSMB game is hardly the same thing. I'm talking about the quality of the game as a system-seller, not as a game for a gaming system you already own.

Again, I just don't see how the fourth game in the "New" series with the same visual style and core gameplay mechanics is going to sell systems, unless of course I've missed something really really important about the game. Maybe I have? What's the biggest selling ponit for it? What would they focus on in a TV commercial for the WiiU?
Its a new 2D Mario, people love 2D Mario, people buy consoles for 2D Mario. Its not that hard to understand.

NSMB DS and NSMB Wii has the same gameplay mechanics and visual style and it sells gangbusters still.

Hell COD is the exact same shit every year and it sells systems every year. This goes for many franchises where there's not much difference, but people love the basic mechanic of the game. Is it really that hard for you to understand?

Lets just say NSMBU was gonna be released for the Wii, it wouldn't sell as many systems because the majority of the fanbase already has the Wii, but since its on a console they don't own (the Wii U), they NEED to buy the console to play the game.

The really important thing you missed is the fact that people love Mario and they will buy whatever console they need to play it. Simple as that.

I feel stupid explaining this to you.

Fredrik

Its a new 2D Mario, people love 2D Mario, people buy consoles for 2D Mario. Its not that hard to understand.
I seriously doubt that it'll be that easy to sell it, they need to add a twist to it for that to work, like they usually have, something that makes this particular game so unique that you just can't be without it. I'm not seeing this in NSMBU. Plus, NSMB2 is out before NSMBU, which I think is a big problem since people might think that this is just NSMB1 for WiiU.

I seriously doubt that it'll be that easy to sell it, they need to add a twist to it for that to work, like they usually have, something that makes tjus particular game so unique that you just can't be without it. I'm not seeing this in NSMBU. Plus, NSMB2 is out before NSMBU, which I think is a big problem since people might think that this is just NSMB1 for WiiU.
What was NSMB DS and NSMB Wii's twist? What was MW3's twist? What was GTA IV's twist?

People will think this is NSMB1 for Wii U? lol, right coz when you see the game's new levels and upgraded visuals you can't tell its a brand new game. If that was the case why didn't people think NSMB Wii was NSMB "1" for the Wii?

A Mario 2D game in an era when 2D platformers barely existed anymore. Perfect timing.
This time? Another 2D Mario platformer in the "New" series?
Oh but there was NSMB DS already, surely NSMB Wii wouldn't have sold if that was the case. Besides you're not even answering what I'm asking and instead making new excuses.

Oh and did you forget WarioLand came before NSMB Wii? Why did people choose to wait for NSMB Wii when there was already a 2D platformer and a 2D Mario released already? How about Super Paper Mario? That was a 2D platformer released before NSMB Wii also.

Just because you think its just another 2D Mario and you won't buy it, doesn't mean the masses won't. Put your personal feelings aside and you'll learn more.

Fredrik

People will think this is NSMB1 for Wii U? lol, right coz when you see the game's new levels and upgraded visuals you can't tell its a brand new game. If that was the case why didn't people think NSMB Wii was NSMB "1" for the Wii?
Many did, but it didn't hurt the sales since it was the first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in a very long time, and a game for hardcore gamers and oldtime Nintendo fans on Wii.

Many did, but it didn't hurt the sales since it was the first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in a very long time, and a game for hardcore gamers and oldtime Nintendo fans on Wii.
Many did...right...according to who? Gaf? lol

Lets go by your logic and say many did, why does that matter? It still sold plenty and it still sold consoles right?

A Mario 2D game in an era when 2D platformers barely existed anymore. Perfect timing.
When NSMB2 comes out and it sells systems, what then? It seems to be sharing the same problems that NSMB U has right?

Again, I just don't see how the fourth game in the "New" series with the same visual style and core gameplay mechanics is going to sell systems, unless of course I've missed something really really important about the game. Maybe I have? What's the biggest selling ponit for it? What would they focus on in a TV commercial for the WiiU? What's the "OMG I need to get this!!" feature?

I seriously doubt that it'll be that easy to sell it, they need to add a twist to it for that to work, like they usually have, something that makes this particular game so unique that you just can't be without it. I'm not seeing this in NSMBU. Plus, NSMB2 is out before NSMBU, which I think is a big problem since people might think that this is just NSMB1 for WiiU.

tumblr_lprfx1ZlD61qm9myyo1_400.gif

Fredrik

Oh but there was NSMB DS already, surely NSMB Wii wouldn't have sold if that was the case. Besides you're not even answering what I'm asking and instead making new excuses.

Oh and did you forget WarioLand came before NSMB Wii? Why did people choose to wait for NSMB Wii when there was already a 2D platformer and a 2D Mario released already? How about Super Paper Mario? That was a 2D platformer released before NSMB Wii also.

Just because you think its just another 2D Mario and you won't buy it, doesn't mean the masses won't. Put your personal feelings aside and you'll learn more.
WarioLand and Super Paper Mario is not Super Mario Bros. Get a check your own feelings.

J@hranimo

Banned
These last few posts have been hi-larious! Good job guys.

If NSMBU wasn't a launch title this would really hurt the Wii U's launch numbers. Even with other solid looking games like Rayman, Pikmin 3, Zombi U, Nintendoland etc...they have to have Mario to make it happen. Iwata's said this a few times before in how the 3DS's launch was slow (although we all know the other reasons.)

Fredrik

Oh, oh, you're finally getting it! There's nothing like traditional 2D Mario, when it comes out, they sell systems.
No there is nothing like new and fresh Mario games.
Edit: My take on all this...
NSMB sold because 2D Mario was dead. It felt fresh, yet retro in a good way.
NSMBWii sold because it was the same lovable 2D Mario platformer seen on the Da but now on a home console and on Wii which suffered from a lack of hardcore games.
NSMB2 probably won't sell as much as NSMB, due to not beung "fresh", but it's a sequel to a huge hit so it'll probably still sell a lot.
NSMBU on the other hand is not the first 2D Mario in a long time, it's not "fresh", it won't instantly be seen as a sequel just by looking at the title, like NSMB2, and at least frim what I've seen it lacks a twist to make it unique both as a new Mario game and as a new game in the "New" series.
Will it still sell systems just because it's a new Mario? Personally I doubt it. But we'll see. I'll buy if for sure anyhow.

Hiltz

I'm curious if fans will get Super Mario fatigued this year even though both of the upcoming New Super Mario games can easily sell several million copies.

Fredrik

I'm curious if fans will get Super Mario fatigued this year even though both of the upcoming New Super Mario games can easily sell several million copies.
hmm, maybe NSMB fatiqued, I don't think we'll ever get tired of new fresh and innovative Mario games, Nintendo is good at finding a lovable twist to pull us back in again. Galaxy was that type of game for me, I was soo over Mario before that. Can't wait for SMG devs take on how to make Mario shine on WiiU!

StayDead

NSMBU on the other hand is not the first 2D Mario in a long time, it's not "fresh", it won't instantly be seen as a sequel just by looking at the title, like NSMB2, and at least frim what I've seen it lacks a twist to make it unique both as a new Mario game and as a new game in the "New" series.

Eh? How is it like NSMB2? They've got completely different powerups, one is on a handheld and is entirely based around collecting 1,000,000 coins, and is based on Mario Bros 3 (based on powerups shown). Meanwhile the other one is on home consoles and is about making your way tot the end with 4 player, different powerups and is based more around Mario World (based on the world map and powerups).

Shiggy

Part of the Wii version's success came through the integration of a multiplayer mode, at least that one was heavily pushed, even to casual gamers.
The Wii U version doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It should sell pretty well nonetheless. People like sequelisation.

Top Bottom