• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

Launch day or launch window, does it really matter? It's not like it's the most interesting WiiU title, it's hardly a system seller, doesn't even show off the second screen much, Nintendo probably see it as a filler to silent the "there are no games"-people and launch window should be close enough for that.

Yes, it matters and please explain to me how a new Mario action game is "hardly a system seller." SMH. And refer to my hypothetical Best Buy customer scenario above.

Maybe they are bundling Nintendoland, but want to give third-parties a couple of weeks at launch to pick up extra sales before NSMBU comes in.

Because we all know what a great idea it was to give third parties a ton of room at launch was for the 3DS, right?

So what is coming out day one from first party nintendo land, that one be a real weak showing for a console they need to push day one.l

Pikmin and nintendo land plus eshop games is enough for the first two-three weeks as it looks like there will be 20 odd titles available on day one. They to give other titles room to breathe and nintendo land and pikmin have it covered fpr at least two weeks do you think not. Having nsmbu first day will cannibalise sales of other titles that show off the wii u better.

You are going to have games from other publishers thay need to sell the first few weeks. It would be great if nsmbu was released during thanks giving if wii u was to be released end of october in north america

Okay, now read the rest of the post.

I agree in that theoretically "first party game comes in to pick up the fumble a few weeks after" sounds like a better plan than what transpired with the 3DS launch but IMHO it's still a mistake. I don't see any third party title so important it merits bumping a finished Mario game past launch. And before you say ZombiU, that's not a wide appeal title.

Yes, it matters and please explain to me how a new Mario action game is "hardly a system seller." SMH. And refer to my hypothetical Best Buy customer scenario above.

Because we all know what a great idea it was to give third parties a ton of room at launch was for the 3DS, right?

Three weeks is not what you call a ton of room i would say that is not even classified as the bare minimum. Its not even one month space for third party launch games to get their foot in the door and then suddenly they release the cracken. You need to think about that for a second and decide if there is a risk that one title may stifle others so give the others room since your main title will sell no matter what. Also we dont know if it is not launch we are just speculating reasons for why it might now be.

donny2112

And before you say ZombiU, that's not a wide appeal title.

Was going to say Assassin's Creed 3. That franchise is a pretty big seller in its own right, and it appeals to the early core launch buyer to keep them happy while the more casual launch buyer enjoys Nintendoland until both groups buy NSMBU a few weeks later.

OmegaZero

tumblr_li53axBLDv1qabmbz.jpg

I realize subjectivity plays a good role here, but for me Wii U has nothing that I gotta have at launch. Unlike the 3DS. :p
Yeah man, Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver were totally killer apps! Not to mention all the funky fresh N64 ports that basically carried the library for a year. Meanwhile, I piss on the likes of NSMB U, Pikmin 3, Zombi U, Rayman Legends and Project P-100 within a few months of launch.

AzaK

I have more interest in eating my own left testicle than playing a 2D Mario so if Mario doesn't make launch that hopefully means more good third party titles.

Pikmin and nintendo land plus eshop games is enough for the first two-three weeks as it looks like there will be 20 odd titles available on day one. They to give other titles room to breathe and nintendo land and pikmin have it covered fpr at least two weeks do you think not. Having nsmbu first day will cannibalise sales of other titles that show off the wii u better.

You are going to have games from other publishers thay need to sell the first few weeks. It would be great if nsmbu was released during thanks giving if wii u was to be released end of october in north america

We don't even know that Pikmin is supposed to be a launch title though, It was listed on one of the release docs as "launch window" with no change so it's doubtful. I don't get the need to bump Mario a few weeks or a month after launch. How is Mario going to cannabalize games like AC3 and ZombiU? And again, first party wise, placing a higher priority on NintendoLand is a huge gamble.

edit: Anyways, if this pans out, the call outs from Neogaf on Reggie's little spiel last month are gonna be epic.

I agree in that theoretically "first party game comes in to pick up the fumble a few weeks after" sounds like a better plan than what transpired with the 3DS launch but IMHO it's still a mistake. I don't see any third party title so important it merits bumping a finished Mario game past launch. And before you say ZombiU, that's not a wide appeal title.

Again i will repeat, because nsmbu is important and big, it will steal sales from other launch games. Give the other games a few weeks as the console will be a sellout for those weeks regardless. Then launch mario for thanks giving and let the floodgates open. Gives the first day buyers a great incentive to pick up pikmin nintendo land assassins creed and maybe zombi u if it is launch day. Most people wont get more than four games the first couple of months anyway. Having nsmb as a thanksgiving day headliner will have all the people that bough on day one back in the stores making that week a frenzy of nintendo shoppers. 3DS LL and wii u will be a good combo during that time and the instant hype will create a lot of positive buzz.

Amir0x

Banned
as long as Pikmin 3 comes at launch, I'll just shrug at this. NSMB games tend to be creatively bankrupt so it's no big loss from where I'm standing.

That said, I bet it'll make it before Christmas.

as long as Pikmin 3 comes at launch, I'll just shrug at this. NSMB games tend to be creatively bankrupt so it's no big loss from where I'm standing.

That said, I bet it'll make it before Christmas.

I really have to wonder when - or if - we're ever going to get a real Mario 2D platformer. This "New" shit is like putting a week-old pork chop into the microwave and hitting 'warm' for four minutes. Is nobody at Nintendo genuinely interested in doing one anymore?

Again i will repeat, because nsmbu is important and big, it will steal sales from other launch games. Give the other games a few weeks as the console will be a sellout for those weeks regardless. Then launch mario for thanks giving and let the floodgates open. Gives the first day buyers a great incentive to pick up pikmin nintendo land assassins creed and maybe zombi u if it is launch day. Most people wont get more than four games the first couple of months anyway. Having nsmb as a thanksgiving day headliner will have all the people that bough on day one back in the stores making that week a frenzy of nintendo shoppers. 3DS LL and wii u will be a good combo during that time and the instant hype will create a lot of positive buzz.

Or some of these people will spend less money on launch titles or skip launch altogether and save their money for later if they know a new Mario game is just a few weeks away? To avoid any of the lackluster taste that killed the 3DS launch, Mario is needed day one and Miyamoto seems to agree:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/27/shigeru-miyamoto-rushed-game-forever-bad?

Miyamoto: "If I could rewind the clock I would change the lineup for the 3DS launch so it had more Mario titles."

We don't even know that Pikmin is supposed to be a launch title though, It was listed on one of the release docs as "launch window" with no change so it's doubtful. I don't get the need to bump Mario a few weeks or a month after launch. How is Mario going to cannabalize games like AC3 and ZombiU? And again, first party wise, placing a higher priority on NintendoLand is a huge gamble.

edit: Anyways, if this pans out, the call outs from Neogaf on Reggie's little spiel last month are gonna be epic.

Gone are the days where nintendo will launch a system with no third party supposrt at all and only have three games for launch. I beleive the first million will be sold even with just one or two first party titles. Nintendo land has not had much time with the general public. I actually think nsmbu is a launch title but even if it isnt it will not hurt it either way as long as those are the only two nintendo published titles in the first two to four weeks. Three is too much for third parties to handle on launch week since most buyers those first couple of weeks are rabbid nintendo faithful and cannabalisation will occur in that case.

Amir0x

Banned
I really have to wonder when - or if - we're ever going to get a real Mario 2D platformer. This "New" shit is like putting a week-old pork chop into the microwave and hitting 'warm' for four minutes. Is nobody at Nintendo genuinely interested in doing one anymore?

I dunno. I mean, it seems like they're putting in a budget of $20 instead of $1 and a bag of chips for the added detail in the backgrounds, but other than that...

The 11th anniversary of Pikmin 1 falls on Sunday, December 2, and Nintendo likes to launch games on Sundays. Seems too good an opportunity to pass up. ;)

Yup, that does sound like a decidedly Nintendo thing to do. Would be amazing. I can't wait to hear the soothing Pikmin music as I try desperately to ensure no Pikmin is left behind to die!

Hope we get some more info about what other vital changes we have to he Pikmin formula soon so I can get more hype

AniHawk

at least we're getting it this year. and at least it's not one of ead tokyo's handholding adventures in handholding.

Hope we get some more info about what other vital changes we have to he Pikmin formula soon so I can get more hype

i want flying pikmin to mean some awesome things but i won't get my hopes up.

as long as it's cool like pikmin 2, i'm cool.

Shiggy

well remember when in super mario 3d land they kept the somewhat difficult parts hidden away in the actual last half of the game, and how with super mario galaxy they kept the difficult parts hidden away in all of the second game.

Which difficult parts in SMG2? The final challenge? Apar from that it was a pretty easy title if you befriended yourself with SMG1.

And I actually prefer NSMB DS over the Wii game, but just because it was portable. It was a tad bit easy though.

well remember when in super mario 3d land they kept the somewhat difficult parts hidden away in the actual last half of the game, and how with super mario galaxy they kept the difficult parts hidden away in all of the second game.

I didn't exactly break a sweat in SMG1 but it was still the most satisfying in challenge for any 3D Mario game up until that point. Heck, just having a simple three hit life bar (Sunshine had eight!) was a huge improvement and the daredevil missions were great. And SMG2, 'nuff said. Handholding, come on.

Which difficult parts in SMG2? The final challenge? Apar from that it was a pretty easy title if you befriended yourself with SMG1.

Remember that Green Star in Shiverburn Galaxy which requires you to survive the entire stage without getting getting hit and losing the Cloud suit?

Shiggy

Remember that Green Star in Shiverburn Galaxy which requires you to survive the entire stage without getting getting hit and losing the Cloud suit?

Yes, it was one of the few challenging green stars, one that you could not just run right into. It was also not one of the frustrating green stars, where you missed the star because you could not really tell where it was due to the lack of shadows.

3DS did not end up launching during the busiest retail month. Also the first couple of weeks were fine it was because there were no games at all being released that made things worse. Wii u will have, pro evo, madden, f1 all stars, mass effect 3, sega all stars, nintendo land, assassins creed 3, rabbids land, Batman AC, nba, scribblenauts, lego city undercover, ninja gaiden 3, darksiders, tekken, skylanders, maybe even call of duty or lol ridge racer and a few others on day one plus the eshop games. There will be over 20 titles all titles but all i have mentioned are established or marquee titles. I think this is enough first month to be honest but there will be more staggered releases and those titles will be more noticeable. If you dont think nintendo can sell three million units first month then i guess it needs mario for those first few weeks. I don't think it does.

Titles like nsmbu just dance wii fit u and probaby u sing should not be at launch and should be closer towards thanksgiving or xmas. Zombi U needs to really have some marketing space on its own so that might release after assassins creed. people talk as if wii u doesn't have any games at launch and downplay these ports but you are only trying to sell a maximum 8 million units by end of march and maybe on million units weeks one. Maybe a maximum of 3 million software units is sellable to the first million first week if nintendo land is packed in. Which gives 2 million to the other twenty titles. 3DS had nothing like this at launch.

Made in wario
Pikmin 3
P100
Wii fit u
U sing
Nsmbu
Nintendo land
Eshop games.

These are the announed nintendo published titles for launch. Where do people think they should be put in the release schedule?

For me it would be

Nintendo land at launch being end of oct or first week of november maybe nov 4
NSMBU week of thanksgiving 18th nov and japanese launch.
Pikmin 3 december 2 pal and euro launch
Wii fit u december 16
U sing dec 23
P100. January 2
Made in wario. End of january
Nothing february as i believe we will be getting announcements for those months in september

This setup should help third parties get some vision while giving their own titles room to breath as a few of their games are evergreen titles that will sell beyond the first four weeks of release.

AniHawk

there's a lot of disappearing floor things in smg2. floors disappearing to timed beats. floors disappearing as ghosts randomly ate them. floors switching places whenever you spun in the air. floors that only existed when you had yoshi eat a specific fruit. just a few examples of what makes platforming, you know, platforming.

smg1's greatest accomplishment was the actual final level. or 'do a long jump'. everything else is pretty forgettable.

or using more than one cloud for that matter.

Tratorn

Could be that they want people to buy the other games first at launch.
But sadly PR-people often don't have a real clue, so it could be just a misinformation.

Yes, it was one of the few challenging green stars, one that you could not just run right into. It was also not one of the frustrating green stars, where you missed the star because you could not really tell where it was due to the lack of shadows.

Huge exaggeration. There were plenty of green stars that took some decent effort to obtain. Even the easy ones usually at least make you think of exploring the stages in ways you didn't think of before which is a major reason why they're so much fun. "Where's the Green star in Bowser Jr's stage? What? I can climb on top of the fortress walls?! Cool!" Upside down green star in Flipsville is another good example. Anyways, anybody who complains about Green stars should be forced to do a ton of purple comets and hunt blue coins for a month straight.

or using more than one cloud for that matter.

Exactly, that mission was so awesome.

Well that's disappointing. Then again, if it's a few weeks later then it's alright with me. Need the final launch details soon though, worried about what I'll be buying along with the console :/

Fredrik

You think a franchise that has games consistently selling 20+ million copies is not a system seller?
I'm just saying that New Super Mario Bros U won't make people go out and buy a new gaming system. Maybe if it was a true sequel to Super Mario 64, with some crazy new cool usage of the second screen that makes people go wow , but I'm not seeing that in NSMBU.

MormaPope

Banned
The best thing Nintendo could've done is launch the Wii-U next spring. Launch the console with the new 2D Mario with Pikmin 3 and a handful of 3rd party games, all on the same day.

Due to the Wii being dried up and dead though, they need to release the Wii-U this year. If Nintendo invested a bit more energy into the Wii, they probably would have a much easier launch ahead.

Didn't they say at E3 that Pikmin 3 was their launch game and NSMB U would come a bit later? However, they'd be really stupid to not have this out before christmas, it's a very important title for the platform.

Nemesis_

The launch line up for the Wii U is looking more and more disappointing.

I'm really hoping there will be some surprise title between now and then - I just can't see Nintendo Land being a "killer app" per se.

But then again - which console has launched with one? I certainly cant' remember in the past few generations.

AniHawk

The launch line up for the Wii U is looking more and more disappointing.

I'm really hoping there will be some surprise title between now and then - I just can't see Nintendo Land being a "killer app" per se.

But then again - which console has launched with one? I certainly cant' remember in the past few generations.

super mario bros./nes, tetris/game boy, super mario world/snes, sm64/n64, halo/xbox, and wii sports/wii are probably the main ones.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm just saying that New Super Mario Bros U won't make people go out and buy a new gaming system. Maybe if it was a true sequel to Super Mario 64, with some crazy new cool usage of the second screen that makes people go wow , but I'm not seeing that in NSMBU.

Your interpretation of public intereswats is pretty awful considering SM64 was one of the worse selling Mario console games in comparison to earlier counterparts. There's a reason there's a well known popularity tier difference between 3D and 2D Mario, with one selling a hell of a lot more than the other.

The_Lump

Banned
It'll still be launch. Iwata and Reggies word over some rep guy. Also, if they were going to change this, this is not where/how we'd find out.

The_Lump

Banned
He only said that because of Zelda on 3DS. 4 months is not fucking "launch window"

This industry works in quarters, so yeah it is. Always has been in my view.

Edit: sorry, double post.

Edit 2: also, just realised you said 4 months, not 3. So quarters don't really apply - sorry. 3 months is still launch window though imo

DjRoomba

Banned
Even if it isnt true, it still could be. Everythings in flux when it comes to launches. Delays are always possible. How many games do you really need on Day 1 anyway? I mean are you all gonna buy day 1 here? If so are you gonna go through the entire library in a week or so? Nah dont think so..

Portugeezer

This industry works in quarters, so yeah it is. Always has been in my view.

Edit: sorry, double post.

Edit 2: also, just realised you said 4 months, not 3. So quarters don't really apply - sorry. 3 months is still launch window though imo

Ok, I agree with you. 3 months maybe, 4 months is over.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
reggie-shrug.png

they probably want it to be a Christmas game...which makes sense, although it leaves me a bit disappointed

Top Bottom