• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

Wasn't that supposed to be the Wii?

Personally, I'd be more worried about the health of Sony.

This is exactly my point. Instead of holding a developer accountable for when they have fumbled the ball, you view the companies embarrassments as a comparison scale.... Nintendo Wii U has been almost a disaster on every level.

- Messaging (The controller works on Wii, right?)
- Lineup (Pikmin 3 and a couple Ubisoft titles)
- Tech (Not mult-touch, barely better than a 360?)
- Understanding ( If Nintendo makes the decade old Wii controllers a focal point for the Wii U, will the Wii plus controllers be included in the new system or not? If not, another blunder by Nintendo)
- Lack of online functionality
- Lack of Social Media strategy ( They just hired a new head a month ago)
- Etc.

And yet....

you bring up Sony...

Must be nice to be able to live with that amount of indoctrination in your life....

On a scale from one to ten, where 1 is PS1 and 7 is Vita, how well will Wii U do in your opinion ?

The HivemindGaf....

...laughable.

The HivemindGaf....

...laughable.

Did you just say hivemind? oh dear.....

The studio/group that developed pikmin 3 also developed NSMB U so yeah you can argue that it was lazy if you wish but think about how a small development group can develop two launch titles in tandem is pretty hard if you ask me both titles are going to be gobbled up by the masses.

Did you just say hivemind? oh dear.....

The studio/group that developed pikmin 3 also developed NSMB U so yeah you can argue that it was lazy if you wish but think about how a small development group can develop two launch titles in tandem is pretty hard if you ask me both titles are going to be gobbled up by the masses.

Both completed years ago. Pikmin is another up-resed Wii game.

This excuse does not help your argument.

ASIS

This is exactly my point. Instead of holding a developer accountable for when they have fumbled the ball, you view the companies embarrassments as a comparison scale.... Nintendo Wii U has been almost a disaster on every level.

- Understanding ( If Nintendo makes the decade old Wii controllers a focal point for the Wii U, will the Wii plus controllers be included in the new system or not? If not, another blunder by Nintendo)
- Etc.

And yet....

you bring up Sony...

Must be nice to be able to live with that amount of indoctrination in your life....

The HivemindGaf....

...laughable.
... Really?

Both completed years ago. Pikmin is a major disappointment on many levels as well.

I totally get how the overall list of launch titles shown is kinda underwhelming and somewhat phoned-in, but you honestly believe that the games (and I guess the console) are bad enough to completely bring down Nintendo? Really?

I hate what the launch is shaping up to amount to so far, but I have no doubt that they'll eventually parlay the system into something worth having.

Gaborn

This is exactly my point. You view this as "us" vs "them" instead of holding a developer accountable for when they have fumbled the ball. Nintendo Wii U is almost a disaster on every level.

In business terms it IS "us vs them"

Branding everything Wii U will help a lot.

- Games Lineup (Pikmin 3 and a couple Ubisoft titles)

Hasn't been announced yet exactly what they'll launch with, although we can guess. Even taking out Nintendoland (which is PROBABLY a pack in) you don't think Wii U Fit will sell? You don't think NSMBU will sell? We know there will probably be much more than that, but both of those titles ALONE are guaranteed multi-million selling holiday hits and probably evergreen titles.

Someone hasn't been paying attention.

- Understanding ( If Nintendo makes the decade old Wii controllers a focal point will the Wii plus controllers be included or not? If not, another blunder by Nintendo)

They definitely need more clarity on their launch plans.

Bullshit.

-Etc.

Actually I thought one thing Nintendo made pretty clear in their press conference (and was even in the Legends internal trailer that got leaked) was that Nintendo DOES have such a strategy.

And yet....

you bring up Sony...

I mentioned Sony because Nintendo made a profit overall this generation, in fact they made an ENORMOUS amount of mney this generation. They lost money this last year in a once in a blue moon event, but overall? They've made HUGE amounts of money between the Wii and the DS. Sony on the other hand... well, they've been in financial trouble for a long time.

So when you start talking about the Wii U being the death of Nintendo it seems to fly in the face of... well, reality to be honest. Nintendo could COMPLETELY GameCube this generation and STILL make money as they proved before... during the GameCube era.

Meanwhile Sony can't lose money forever. They're in the midst of a major restructuring which they will hopefully emerge from well off but they're at MUCH bigger risk than Nintendo is.

Both completed years ago. Pikmin is another up-resed Wii game.

This excuse does not help your argument.

You think the other 6 EAD groups are doing nothing at the moment? you think they made that new facility for nothing? You don't have a clue what you are talking about do you? nothing was simply upressed.

Nintendo has 18 internal studios and with probably over 30 affiliations and collaborations for other nintendo published titles being developed at this moment by other development teams between Wii U and 3DS.

And yet....

you bring up Sony...

Right. And it must be nice to be so deluded to think that Sony who has been burning through piles of cash like the Joker in the Dark Knight for the past 5-6 years is a better act to follow.

The HivemindGaf....

...laughable.

Hmmmm. These posts are starting to taste more like piss lemonade than mint.

It's not so much that 2D Mario won't sell; it's more about how Nintendo has become lazy with development. Instead creating a new rendition for a new system (Mario 64) they have up-resed a three year old game with quickly pasted new backgrounds...

Nintendo is no longer a developer for gamers. Instead, they're now a company desperate to find it's footing in a ecosystem where they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

Wii U marks the death of Nintendo.

This is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever read.

As long as Mario makes it into the holiday season, there's no problem, no real missed opportunity I'd think.

Hell, if Pikmin 3 is day 1, this would be beneficial to Pikmin 3, but who knows?

- Etc.

And yet....

you bring up Sony...

The HivemindGaf....

...laughable.

Calm the fuck down bro. It really is not that serious. Realistically, the wii u will do well whether you want it to be successful or not. Your underestimating how much appeal nintendo consoles and games have on people. The nintendo fan base is one of the most devoted ive ever seen and theres no way they will let the console be DOA. Besides the wii u will generate buzz from the media by simply being a new wii. It will do well. Not wii all over again well, but still successful nonetheless. This really is how nintendo operates and they've been doing this their entire existence as a video game company. It's so weird how alot of people just want nintendo to be like a company it's not and if you want nintendo to be like sony so much, then just buy sony consoles.

I doubt New Super Mario Bros U would get nearly as much grief if it was as visually creative as Trine 2, or if they went the route of Kirby's Epic Yarn. That Van Gogh background looked cool, but that's really the only spark of passion I've seen in the game so far.

I doubt New Super Mario Bros U would get nearly as much grief if it was as visually creative as Trine 2, or if they went the route of Kirby's Epic Yarn. That Van Gogh background looked cool, but that's really the only spark of passion I've seen in the game so far.

the van gogh back ground was great.

I even think the first level was great

And the demo starry night level

we havent really seen anything

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The latest it'll be is November 18. Three weeks earlier can't fit a "holiday" release? :lol Stuff is getting to you, schuelma. :)

Well, holiday season matches up perfectly with the week before thanksgiving. October doesn't.

+1

One of the few not indoctrinated it seems.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man... if Mario really isn't a launch game... this could honestly be the most pathetic launch for any system, ever.

C'mon, Nintendo. I want to want your system. Don't you want me to, too?

As long as Mario makes it into the holiday season, there's no problem, no real missed opportunity I'd think.

Hell, if Pikmin 3 is day 1, this would be beneficial to Pikmin 3, but who knows?

Bold random punctuation for the win. I like you.

Where is your avatar from? It's neat.

Man... if Mario really isn't a launch game... this could honestly be the most pathetic launch for any system, ever.

its still looking like the greatest launch window lineup Ive ever witnessed.

Yeah the people in this thread must be under the impression that the ps3 launched with MGS 4 and the 360 with gears and halo. Does anyone remember how abyssmal the n64 launch was? and how stagnant the gamecube's library was after launch? The ps3's launch line up wasn't to hot either and i doubt people will say "if the ps4 doesn't launch with uncharted 4, it's D00M3D. The hyperbolic remarks in this thread are ridiculous

^ i love it how your all going crazy and believing the comments from a regional hired hand basically

My sentiments towards the console are all based on what titles they've shown so far for launch. It can all change for the better provided that they have a few surprises up their sleeves that they haven't revealed yet.

Yeah the people in this thread must be under the impression that the ps3 launched with MGS 4 and the 360 with gears and halo. Does anyone remember how abyssmal the n64 launch was? and how stagnant the gamecube's library was after launch? The ps3's launch line up wasn't to hot either and i doubt people will say "if the ps4 doesn't launch with uncharted 4, it's D00M3D. The hyperbolic remarks in this thread are ridiculous

Launches are almost always crappy (only exception off the top of my head is Dreamcast's) but there's usually at least ONE game that entices me. Besides, previous systems' crap launches don't justify a bad launch for a new console.

You can't really compare launches of different gaming era's to this one; because were in brand new territory with the launch of this gen thanks to browser/social media technologies.

Why do you think people were mocking Nintendo Land as nothing more than a collection of 99cent apps?

Social media, browser based gaming, etc. are now dominate forces in the mainstream ecosystem. Wii was lucky in that it showed up right before the smartphone boom hit. Now...

Nintendo is simply fading away.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why do you think people are mocking Nintendo land as nothing more than a collection of 99cent apps.

Never heard that one. But it's more like a collection of 12 distinct Kinect games.

Baby steps. Nintendo has a lot of defensive walls that have to be destroyed before any of that happens.

I actually think Super Mario Bros. U looks great. I also think the Mii factor is going to be a huge hit. As far as the launch line up, and overall 2012 first-party games. There is still a cloud of mystery regarding how many first-party launch games Nintendo will release, and how many more it will squeeze in by December 2012.

You can't really compare launches of different gaming era's to this one; because were in brand new territory with the launch of this gen thanks to browser/social media technologies.

Why do you think people were mocking Nintendo Land as nothing more than a collection of 99cent apps?

Social media, browser based gaming, etc. are now dominate forces in the mainstream ecosystem. Wii was lucky in that it showed up right before the smartphone boom.

Browser based games and flimsy 99 cent appish games are generally not gonna fullfill the core gamer. Nintendo might struggle with the casual market maybe, but they're not gonna be obsolete so long as they don't ignore the core demographic. Same with the other two.

It's easy to be disappointed with the art direction of the New series. However, I think New Super Mario Bros. U looks a lot less sterile than its brothers. Better backgrounds and even little things like better grass can go a long way.

It looks clean, and I like it.

I'm not specifically talking about NeoGAF when I say this, but I recall some people being quite upset when Reggie claimed that gamers should be satisfied with games like New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 as launch titles. Some people kept saying things like, "We didn't want 2-D Mario. We wanted 3-D Mario."

Now, when these games end up being released later than expected, we're suddenly riled up about that. If you didn't care that New Super Mario Bros. U was on the launch line-up, why should you care if it isn't?

Browser based games and flimsy 99 cent appish games are generally not gonna fullfill the core gamer. Nintendo might struggle with the casual market, but they're not gonna be obsolete so long as they don't ignore the core demographic. Same with the other two.

The Wii was built on the casual market.

This is the main reason why the Wii U is looking more and more like a catastrophe as we get closer to launch... Between the messaging issues with the mainstream and lack of quality software for the dedicated, Nintendo has only themselves to blame...

It's easy to be disappointed with the art direction of the New series. However, I think New Super Mario Bros. U looks a lot less sterile than its brothers. Better backgrounds and even little things like better grass can go a long way.

It looks clean, and I like it.

I'm not specifically talking about NeoGAF when I say this, but I recall some people being quite upset when Reggie claimed that gamers should be satisfied with games like New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 as launch titles. Some people kept saying things like, "We didn't want 2-D Mario. We wanted 3-D Mario."

Now, when these games end up being released later than expected, we're suddenly riled up about that. If you didn't care that New Super Mario Bros. U was on the launch line-up, why should you care if it isn't?

Well because it was still something. (Even if it's nowhere near being adequate.) Taking even that away would be suicide.

You can't really compare launches of different gaming era's to this one because were in brand new territory with the launch of this gen thanks to browser/social media technologies.

Why do you think people are mocking Nintendo land as nothing more than a collection of 99cent apps.

Social media, browser based gaming, etc. are now dominate forces in the mainstream ecosystem. Wii was lucky in that it showed up right before the smartphone boom.

Fading away from what? all their games are still selling and are still very popular. there is an obvious demand for these games. I mean look at mario party 9 and mario kart 7. New entries in a tired series that have seen little changes throughout iterations, but they still sold gangbusters. And even look at Pokemon Black and white 2 selling almost 2 million on opening day. Hell, even rhythm heaven fever did well for itself Considering that was a 40$ game that SHOULD have been on ios. Nintendo can't simply "fade away" because they have franchises with devoted fans that look forward to the next installments. Look at the immense hype for animal crossing jump out on the 3ds to see what i mean. As long as these games are not on ios, and there are no games like it on ios, nintendo will not fade out

Anth0ny

Even if it launched with Mario, Wii U would be the worst Nintendo console launch line up. Without Mario, it would be appallingly bad.

Top Bottom