• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

Fredrik

Your interpretation of public intereswats is pretty awful considering SM64 was one of the worse selling Mario console games in comparison to earlier counterparts. There's a reason there's a well known popularity tier difference between 3D and 2D Mario, with one selling a hell of a lot more than the other.
That may be, and I'm sure it will sell a lot, but no matter how popular the franchise is and how popular 2D Marios are compared to 3D, I still don't think NSMBU will be a system seller. In fact I'd be pissed if it was, because that would mean that other more original games with much more innovative use of the second screen won't sell as much as they should.
In a perfect world ZombieU would be the WiiU system-seller. Day 1 for me, has been from the first day it was shown. Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.

Maybe their way to thank Ubisoft for Rayman Legends.

Possible. They know NSMBU would maybe hurt the sales of third parties.
Nintendo did the same with 3DS, it just didn't really work there.

If this is true though - maybe the WiiU is launching...earlier?

daebo

You know... I'm actually getting annoyed with the lack of any real info. It's killing my hype instead of creating it. with all the arguments and lack of price and lack of actual release games that aren't ports... It's all just getting kind of annoying.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You know... I'm actually getting annoyed with the lack of any real info. It's killing my hype instead of creating it. with all the arguments and lack of price and lack of actual release games that aren't ports... It's all just getting kind of annoying.

Like it or not, aside from the random 3rd party announcement we are going to have to wait until September.

Oh and I fully believe its a launch title. I'll take the word of the big Nintendo guns over this dude.

Wii U - October 28
Nintendoland - October 28
Assassin's Creed 3 - October 30
Zombi U - October 30
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - November 13
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U - November 18
Pikmin 3 - December 2 (11th anniversary of original game's launch)

Hopefully. Would work with the AC3 Wii U version having an Oct. 30 launch date.

Edit:

Oooh. Like that. Adding it in.

Edit2:
Might as well add in Black Ops II. :p

Edit3:
An October 28 launch also has it releasing on the first day of November's NPD period for maximum launch month sales. :lol

Is a launch date even confirmed? I thought those dates were placeholders?

I see Nintendo is getting high on the fumes that the Wii is running on at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if NSMBU and Pikmin get pushed back to 2013 for some inane reason, and they expect that Nintendoland can carry the WiiU.

As a non-pack-in.

With the WiiU at $599 and games at $69.99.

schuelma

An October 28 launch also has it releasing on the first day of November's NPD period for maximum launch month sales. :lol

I just see no evidence October is even a possibility. They aren't releasing launch details until September, and they've repeatedly referenced the holiday season for launch.

Lyude77

I'm pretty much waiting until Mario comes out to get it, unless Pikmin 3 happens to be at launch or something. I hope NSMB is at launch because I'm a bit concerned about waiting a few months after what happened with the Wii.

Well there goes the only reason to buy a wii u.

Rayman Legends, Zombi U, P-100 all seems like good launch day buys to me. Even if the game isn't at launch it would likely be a few weeks after since Nintendo might have pushed up the launch date of Wii U but not NSMBU. Of course people in here are overreacting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That may be, and I'm sure it will sell a lot, but no matter how popular the franchise is and how popular 2D Marios are compared to 3D, I still don't think NSMBU will be a system seller. In fact I'd be pissed if it was, because that would mean that other more original games with much more innovative use of the second screen won't sell as much as they should.
In a perfect world ZombieU would be the WiiU system-seller. Day 1 for me, has been from the first day it was shown. Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.

It's this kind of attitude that seems backwards to me.

There is no reason to assume that Mario being a system seller will somehow blunt the impact of other games, especially during a console launch, if those games are innovative and worthy of attention.

In point of fact, Red Steel 1 sold great at Wii launch despite monster titles like Twilight Princess sitting beside it - so much so that it actually burned a lot of early adopters by being shitty, in fact, and doomed the name of Red Steel 2.

ZombiU does not look as if it's going down the path of being crappy like Red Steel was, and it has everything to attract people to check it out.

If this is about NSMB U not being 'innovative', and thus not deserving to be popular, no offense but stow that attitude. It is getting tiresome. The series is mega popular for a reason: it's a fantastic 2D platformer accessible to anyone. The shit it gets from hardcore gamers for existing is sad. (For them.) And the same hardcore lap up series like Mario Kart, which lack just as much 'innovation', but poop on NSMB because it doesn't have the artistic swishy graphics that seem 'sophisticated'. To draw a comparison, the much vaunted Rayman Origins just isn't that great or interesting of a platformer underneath the graphics bolted onto it. It's good. But gets hyped to hell because enthusiast gamers think its visuals bring some kind of maturity to the cutsey platformer genre. That is the definition of shallowness, pretentiousness.

I've said it all along, but I really don't think Nintendoland is gonna be a pack-in. So not having Mario at launch launch to make people buy that instead might just be their brilliant (to them) idea.

Think about it, they've been going on about cost constantly. Oh we wont be doing the 3DS mistake again and gonna be pricing the system aggressively etc..... well whats the best way to do that? Take out the thing you were prolly gonna pack-in and charge people for it!

VICI0US

That means more time for third party efforts (ports) to sell without the juggernaut taking away entertainment time as well as money.

Ick. Nintendo launched the 3DS with very limited first party support expecting third parties to pick up the slack and they got burned hard. Third party games got delayed and cancelled left and right without nintendo software driving the install base. I don't think they want a repeat of that fiasco.

Lijik

There is no reason to assume that Mario being a system seller will somehow blunt the impact of other games, especially during a console launch, if those games are innovative and worthy of attention.

In point of fact, Red Steel 1 sold great at Wii launch despite monster titles like Twilight Princess sitting beside it - so much so that it actually burned a lot of early adopters by being shitty, in fact, and doomed the name of Red Steel 2.

Yeah I got my Wii launch day, and just about every one I saw at the store was picking up an extra game to go with Zelda. I know, I know, annecdotal evidence, but I feel like picking another game that looks cool to go with the big name title while you're swept up in early excitement isn't some rare occurrence.

Xav

This news don't bother me as I was planning to pick up a Wii U to play Rayman Legends not some Gameboy Advance game.

JazzmanZ

It's not like its going to be a whole year of waiting for it, unlike Super mario sunshine which came out in August 2002 while the Gamecube came out in November 2001

Mariolee

It's not like its going to be a whole year of waiting for it, unlike Super mario sunshine which came out in August 2002 while the Gamecube came out in November 2001

Yeah, but wasn't Melee released at launch IIRC? That could have been the only game available, and I would be just fine if Sunshine was released 5 years later or more. True story breh.

Yeah, but wasn't Melee released at launch IIRC? That could have been the only game available, and I would be just fine if Sunshine was released 5 years later or more. True story breh.

Melee and Pikmin were released at the beginning of December. Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm were the two first party launch titles. The Gamecube still has one of the most impressive launch lineups in Nintendo history.

Fredrik

It's this kind of attitude that seems backwards to me.

ZombiU does not look as if it's going down the path of being crappy like Red Steel was, and it has everything to attract people to check it out.

If this is about NSMB U not being 'innovative', and thus not deserving to be popular, no offense but stow that attitude. It is getting tiresome. The series is mega popular for a reason: it's a fantastic 2D platformer accessible to anyone. The shit it gets from hardcore gamers for existing is sad. (For them.) And the same hardcore lap up series like Mario Kart, which lack just as much 'innovation', but poop on NSMB because it doesn't have the artistic swishy graphics that seem 'sophisticated'. To draw a comparison, the much vaunted Rayman Origins just isn't that great or interesting of a platformer underneath the graphics bolted onto it. It's good. But gets hyped to hell because enthusiast gamers think its visuals bring some kind of maturity to the cutsey platformer genre. That is the definition of shallowness, pretentiousness.
Look, I'm not saying that NSMBU is bad, not at all, I love NSMBWii, the gameplay, the visuals, everythng. So please stop trying to shoehorn some kind of fanboy opinion on me. My only point is that I just don't see how it could be a game that sell consoles. Main reason: Lack of unique second screen usage. And therefore I don't see the big deal if it's not a launch title. There are other games that would hurt the launch much more if they got delayed.

Look, I'm not saying that NSMBU is bad, not at all, I love NSMBWii, the gameplay, the visuals, everythng. So please stop trying to shoehorn some kind of fanboy opinion on me. My only point is that I just don't see how it could be a game that sell consoles. Main reason: Lack of unique second screen usage. And therefore I don't see the big deal if it's not a launch title. There are other games that would hurt the launch much more if they got delayed.
You're doubting that a brand new 2D side-scrolling Mario could sell systems? Now I've heard it all.

Oh and there is usage for the second screen, like the obvious being playing the game like it was a handheld without the TV and the other is making platforms to help another player during the game. I don't think you've even watched a video of the game have you?

Yeah man, Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver were totally killer apps! Not to mention all the funky fresh N64 ports that basically carried the library for a year. Meanwhile, I piss on the likes of NSMB U, Pikmin 3, Zombi U, Rayman Legends and Project P-100 within a few months of launch.

Pilotwings for me was a must-have game before really playing it. In retrospect, it's a cute, fun game that could have benefited from being longer, but there isn't anything on the WiiU that I at least feel like I need to have ASAP from the footage shown so far.

It's looking like waiting out for a beefier library/nice bundle won't require any self-control and discipline this round.

This news don't bother me as I was planning to pick up a Wii U to play Rayman Legends not some Gameboy Advance game.

steve_urkel_pants.jpg

Pilotwings for me was a must-have game before really playing it. In retrospect, it's a cute, fun game that could have benefited from being longer, but there isn't anything on the WiiU that I at least feel like I need to have ASAP from the footage shown so far.

It's looking like waiting out for a beefier library/nice bundle won't require any self-control and discipline this round.

Sorry, but I don't get this reasoning at all. You liked Pilotwings so much that you'd rather have a sparse launch more like the 3DS because more choice which = less waiting for an immediately satisfying return on investing in a new system is somehow a bad thing and is too "overwhelming" because it's better when consumers have to wait because then the feeling of payoff later is better or something? Er...no thank you. I'll take a launch with a bunch of interesting titles to choose from any day.

Well, looks like one site already apparently picked up on this thread, ha:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/did-new-super-mario-bros.-u-just-receive-a-slight-delay

Did New Super Mario Bros. U Just Receive A Slight Delay?

14. July 2012 by Brian E. Scheid

Nintendo has known for a long time that in order to make the Wii U succeed at launch, it needs a Mario game at launch, but is Nintendo reconsidering this stance?

New Super Mario Bros. U has been planned as a launch title since day 1, but at the end of a recent IGN preview video, Nintendo’s Kit Ellis states that NSMBU will release “not too long after launch.”

Did NSMBU get pushed back from being a launch title to launch window title, or did Kit somehow manage to get his facts wrong? If this is true, do you think the Wii U’s launch will be affected in a negative way, or that sales will remain the same depending on how close after launch NSMBU releases? Sound off in the comments!

Fredrik

You're doubting that a brand new 2D side-scrolling Mario could sell systems? Now I've heard it all.

Oh and there is usage for the second screen, like the obvious being playing the game like it was a handheld without the TV and the other is making platforms to help another player during the game. I don't think you've even watched a video of the game have you?
I've seen plenty of videos. In short, I just don't see the wow-factor in NSMBU. I'm not talking about brand new 2D Mario games in general here, I'm only talkng about New Super Mario Bros U, nothing else. I simply can't see why people would rush out and buy a WiiU because of this game.

I've seen plenty of videos. In short, I just don't see the wow-factor in NSMBU. I'm not talking about brand new 2D Mario games in general here, I'm only talkng about New Super Mario Bros U, nothing else. I simply can't see why people would rush out and buy a WiiU because of this game.

It doesn't matter if you're personally not "wowed" by the NSMB series. Saying a NSMB game won't move systems is like saying Star Wars movies don't get people to buy movie tickets.

If it's true and that's the reason Reggie stated, it's just another reason this man is in the wrong place and needs to step down from his position.

I still think this might point to Nintendo pushing up the release date of Wii U to sometime in October so they can be there when Assassin's Creed launces along with Call of Duty.

I still think this might point to Nintendo pushing up the release date of Wii U to sometime in October so they can be there when Assassin's Creed launces along with Call of Duty.

I doubt it but it'd be crazy if it wasn't just a gaffe and this guy accidentally spoiled a Fall launch.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I see Nintendo is getting high on the fumes that the Wii is running on at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if NSMBU and Pikmin get pushed back to 2013 for some inane reason, and they expect that Nintendoland can carry the WiiU.

As a non-pack-in.

With the WiiU at $599 and games at $69.99.

lol, other than your pricing I don't think any of this is particularly far fetched.

Gaborn

I agree with you it's getting annoying.

The good news is we probably don't have THAT long to wait. Now all that's really left is HOW they unveil the information. It'll either be a separate event for the press (entirely possible) or the most awesome and most watched and hyped Nintendo Direct ever. Personally I'm hoping for that because then we can see it as it happens much more easily.

I agree with you it's getting annoying.

The good news is we probably don't have THAT long to wait. Now all that's really left is HOW they unveil the information. It'll either be a separate event for the press (entirely possible) or the most awesome and most watched and hyped Nintendo Directs ever. Personally I'm hoping for that latter because then we can see it as it happens much more easily.

I doubt the only thing Nintendo does for their price/launch list lineup is a Nintendo Direct especially when they have yet to reveal some software for the system. Probably going to be another press event in September

Gaborn

I doubt the only thing Nintendo does for their price/launch list lineup is a Nintendo Direct especially when they have yet to reveal some software for the system. Probably going to be another press event in September

Before the last Nintendo Direct I would have agreed with you. Do you realize just how much Nintendo gave us at the last one? Hell, they showed the 3DSXL and that was just PART of the unveiling. I'm not saying it absolutely will be just via a Nintendo Direct but at this point I'm not betting against them

Right, coz NSMB U is so different to every other 2D Mario that its gonna stop selling systems. Ok then.

"Wow new 2D Mario game looks like 2D Mario game, I have no idea why people would buy it!". This logic is astounding.

lol, other than your pricing I don't think any of this is particularly far fetched.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised at this point anymore. The whole ,,launch window-only'' deal seems fishy, since they clearly still had a different strategy in the past years. I'm seeing several of these E3 titles pushed deep into 2013 and no new 1st party announcements until next E3, because they might have nothing else even remotely ready. Reggie has been clearly full of shit otherwise too. Last year: ,,We've only shown about 10% of WiiU'' - *rehashes exact same E3, somehow less promising than before*, ,,For launch we need to adress the dedicated gamers, since they are buying it first'' - *E3 marketing clearly targeted at expanded soccer mom crowd*

I don't wanna be too cynical before Iwatas WiiU event has happened, but if that one doesn't give any confidence either, I wouldn't be surprised. If I'm completely pessimistic, I'm expecting that next E3 they want to redeem themselves with something in the vein of Mario Kart alone and Reggies gonna act all baffled that launch buyers are pissed.

schuelma

The Wii U is going to bomb hard.

I think it will do solidly in N.A. and PAL regions, and do amazing in Japan.

It happened for NSMB Wii, but it still amazes me how much of gaf underestimates how popular 2D Mario is.

Sorry, but I don't get this reasoning at all. You liked Pilotwings so much that you'd rather have a sparse launch more like the 3DS because more choice which = less waiting for an immediately satisfying return on investing in a new system is somehow a bad thing and is too "overwhelming" because it's better when consumers have to wait because then the feeling of payoff later is better or something? Er...no thank you. I'll take a launch with a bunch of interesting titles to choose from any day.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying 3DS's launch was fine. It was craptacular. But, so far, it seems to be a more appealing launch to me than WiiU's because it had at least one game that, at the time, I felt compelled to have ASAP. Nothing on WiiU's launch line-up has made me feel the same way. That's all it comes down to for me.

Gaborn

The Wii U is going to bomb hard.

I think it's interesting that GAF tended to be somewhat bullish on the Vita prior to it's release but has been fairly consistently bearish on Wii U. It seems to me whether the system appeals to you personally or not that it has enough that will appeal to a broad casual market that it should do well, whether or not it lives up to the Wii's success.

I think it will do solidly in N.A. and PAL regions, and do amazing in Japan.

It happened for NSMB Wii, but it still amazes me how much of gaf underestimates how popular 2D Mario is.

This seems reasonable to me on the whole.

It's not so much that 2D Mario won't sell; it's more about how Nintendo has become lazy with development. Instead creating a new rendition for a new system (Mario 64) they have up-resed a three year old game with quickly pasted new backgrounds...

Nintendo is no longer a developer for gamers. Instead, they're now a company desperate to find it's footing in a ecosystem where they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

Wii U marks the death of Nintendo.

steve_urkel_pants.jpg

This was the launch of xbox 360

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft)
Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft)

Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
Gun (Activision)
Quake 4 (Activision)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)

FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup (EA)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (EA)
Madden NFL 06 (EA)
NBA Live 06 (EA)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)

NHL 2K6 (2K)
Amped 3 (2K)
NBA 2K6 (2K)

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (Ubisoft)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (SEGA)
Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)

It had 3 games from microsoft and another 13 from 6 other publishers two of them being exclusive titles (condemned Amped 3) to the platform. The launch had 3 Driving games and 7 sports games and 4 shooters with kameo, condemned and king kong being the only ones not falling into the three categories. This was pretty much it for the first 12 weeks. Another 11 titles were released by the end of March chich took the number to 29 titles by the end of the quarter or the launch window. I wouldn't say this launch was really solid as there was a drought for almost 12 weeks with only DOA 4 released druing that period.

Nintendo will have a lot more titles and a lot more variety and a steady stream of releases to help thir parties as well as their own titles maximise their sales with a very very limited userbase and by the end of the first month most people looking to buy will have probably found a handful of titles that they need to last them until the next batch of titles after the launch window. I don't think nintendo will have many issues but who knows. We currently know about thirty odd titles so far mentioned by various companies for launch window but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than 40-50 retail titles released by the end of march once we get closer to the full retail marketing push in early september for launch in november.

Also

It's not so much that 2D Mario won't sell; it's more about how Nintendo has become lazy with development. Instead creating a new rendition for a new system (Mario 64) they have up-resed a three year old game with quickly pasted new backgrounds...

Nintendo is no longer a developer for gamers. Instead, they're now a company desperate to find it's footing in a ecosystem where they are becoming more and more irreverent.

Wii U is the death of Nintendo.

Mario 64's equivalent is Galaxy 1 and 2. This equivalent game is being made but is going to take a while and probably being made be EAD Tokyo NSMB U is being developed by EAD SDG4. You are being overly hyperbolic with that statement. 250 million devices sold this generation between wii and DS and counting and you are calling them irrelevant or did you actually mean irreverant?

Hiltz

I'm sure we will see a software drought in Q3 2013. Hopefully, P-100 will be out before then cause it doesn't seem like third-parties will have much to offer.

Gaborn

Nintendo is no longer a developer for gamers. Instead, they're now a company desperate to find it's footing in a ecosystem where they are becoming more and more irreverent.

Wasn't that supposed to be the Wii?

Personally, I'd be more worried about the health of Sony.

Nintendo is no longer a developer for gamers. Instead, they're now a company desperate to its find footing in a ecosystem where they are becoming more and more irreverent.

I think you're being a bit dramatic here. It'll probably have a slow, messy, clumsy start like 3DS and then do fine once more titles kick-in. With that said, not having a brand-new Mario with a brad new spin (like 64, sunshine, galaxy) and then calling out disappointed fans for not gushing over NSMBWiiU is just crazy.

Top Bottom