• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

Part of the Wii version's success came through the integration of a multiplayer mode, at least that one was heavily pushed, even to casual gamers.
The Wii U version doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It should sell pretty well nonetheless. People like sequelisation.

Asymetric multiplayer? Boost mode looks like it could be a real hit in households where people don't play games. It's like the perfect party game.

Shiggy

How do you know? We know almost nothing about it.

Now come on. How could they bring in a major part as multiplayer? They would have to completely change the gameplay to achieve that. How'd you innovate Mario games? They would have to go completely overboard. I hope they keep motion controls out of this title though.

People are so quick to go from "fresh" to "stale" with series. What, do you need them to die and go for years without them so you can enjoy revivals after that? I'd rather have a steady supply of what I like.

As said above, people love sequels. The CoD games still enjoy huge success, so do the AC titles. Of course, the original titles need to be good, otherwise there's no-one to buy the sequel (see de Blob).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, anybody who thinks the N64 had a good launch is fooling themselves. Oh yes, Super Mario 64 was a great game but what did you do for an encore? Yea, sometimes there was a Wave Race 64, but other times you got a Mortal Kombat Trilogy, if you were luck to get a game release at all. To this day I have never seen a release starved system like the early N64 was.

Right, anybody who thinks the N64 had a good launch is fooling themselves. Oh yes, Super Mario 64 was a great game but what did you do for an encore? Yea, sometimes there was a Wave Race 64, but other times you got a Mortal Kombat Trilogy, if you were luck to get a game release at all. To this day I have never seen a release starved system like the early N64 was.

OK, how does this prove it had a bad launch?

Quality > quantity, and mario 64 destroys everything announced for wii u so far, as does melee.

jwhit28

I will play as many Mario platformers as they will give me. If NSMBU isn't there at release, hopefully I can pick up a WiiU and a copy when it comes out, especially so after the announcement of a SMW style overworld.

Nintendo is still unmatched in platformer level design, I don't care if Mario's overalls aren't different.

boyshine

I'm curious if fans will get Super Mario fatigued this year even though both of the upcoming New Super Mario games can easily sell several million copies.

Kids eat these games up, and parents are absolutely desperate to find more Mario games. Most kids have 100% completed SM3DL several times now, NSMB2 can’t come soon enough, and Wii U with NSMBU will be perfectly timed as a christmas present. Also, these games have the longest legs.. NSMBW is still selling better than most new games, releasing the sequel at launch will only ensure that it’s a constant top 10 for the entire console lifetime. Which probably is the main reason why they’re launching with NSMB instead of a 3D Mario.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OK, how does this prove it had a bad launch?

Quality > quantity, and mario 64 destroys everything announced for wii u so far, as does melee.

Because quality over quantity is a myth, in so much that ONE game makes a console worth it, not it does not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Even if it launched with Mario, Wii U would be the worst Nintendo console launch line up. Without Mario, it would be appallingly bad.

This is possibly the most untrue thing I've seen on this board. That's saying something.

I'd take the Wii U launch window over Mario 64 anyday. 2d Mario is better anyway most of the time.

NSMB U will end up being very, very similar to the other NSMB games. It won't be a fresh experience. Mario 64 was a revolution, nobody had experienced anything like that before. That's why it got people to buy an n64.

I really doubt NSMB U, a game which at first glance, seems like the same game we all played on the wii, is going to get people to buy wii u in droves.

boyshine

NSMB U will end up being very, very similar to the other NSMB games. It won't be a fresh experience. Mario 64 was a revolution, nobody had experienced anything like that before. That's why it got people to buy an n64.

I really doubt NSMB U, a game which at first glance, seems like the same game we all played on the wii, is going to get people to buy wii u in droves.

There will never be a revolution like 2D->3D again. 2D Mario games now have both higher release week and lifetime sales compared to the 3D games, they simply reach a much, much wider audience than the 3D games do. There are more people wanting a new 2D Mario game, than there are people wanting a new 3D Mario game. It’s that simple really. And like I said I don’t think it’s about releasing a new Mario game to sell more Wii U hardware, I think it’s about releasing a new Mario game as early as possible to maximize the software lifetime sales.

+1

plufim

Christ on a goddam cracker, why are so many people so willfully ignorant about how much the NSMB series changed even between the DS game and the Wii one?

NSMB and NSMB Wii are very different games. Playing even the first world of Wii makes it clear, and worlds 5-8 are some of the best 2D mario levels in a long damn time.

It's already out, didn't you hear? Been around for three years...

NewSuperMarioBrosWiiBoxart.png

/sigh

You could say this about any videogame sequel.

And as an example:
I really doubt HALO 5, a game which at first glance, seems like the same game we all played on the Xbox 360, is going to get people to buy Xbox 720 in droves.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious if fans will get Super Mario fatigued this year even though both of the upcoming New Super Mario games can easily sell several million copies.

isn't it only the two games? both NSMB games can probably be beaten pretty quickly. We'll mostly be done with NSMB2 on 3DS before WiiU is out, don't see a problem with it.

The Boat

Now come on. How could they bring in a major part as multiplayer? They would have to completely change the gameplay to achieve that. How'd you innovate Mario games? They would have to go completely overboard. I hope they keep motion controls out of this title though.

As said above, people love sequels. The CoD games still enjoy huge success, so do the AC titles. Of course, the original titles need to be good, otherwise there's no-one to buy the sequel (see de Blob).
I'm not gonna say it's a revolution, but I loved Boost mode, it was very different from anything I played.

.la1n

It would be much more enticing knowing I had at least Mario at launch. I'm going to continue to go on what Reggie has stated numerous times until an official statement is given otherwise. I do not trust reps.

isn't it only the two games? both NSMB games can probably be beaten pretty quickly. We'll mostly be done with NSMB2 on 3DS before WiiU is out, don't see a problem with it.

Mario fatigue?

Mario in general has achieved its highest sales as a series since the nes days.............

In truth people want mario more than nintendo can pump them out

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Because quality over quantity is a myth, in so much that ONE game makes a console worth it, not it does not.

If Super Mario 64 was the only game ever released for N64 I would still be glad to own the thing. Hell, I'm even OK with the Virtual Boy only having Wario Land - altough that one doesn't even come close to SM64. Nevertheless, quantity is a good thing and considering I still love Sonic Adventure 2, Luigis Mansion and Super Monkey Ball to this day I can't complain over GCN's focus on quantity compared to the N64 :).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Kids eat these games up, and parents are absolutely desperate to find more Mario games. Most kids have 100% completed SM3DL several times now, NSMB2 can’t come soon enough, and Wii U with NSMBU will be perfectly timed as a christmas present. .

Kids eat these games up? The ones eating up Mario are the parents. Kids are too busy texting.

NSMBU is obviously going to be NOA's big week-before-Black-Friday release, so if it's not a launch game all that means is they'll be launching the system even earlier (maybe to give multiplats like AC3 and Blops 2 the benefit of simultaneous release).

Kouriozan

In truth people want mario more than nintendo can pump them out

Yup, I love 2D/3D platformer and this genre is so rare these days.
Wii U launch games are perfect for me, with this, Rayman and some eshop games(Cloudberry Kingdom).
The only franchise fatigue I can see now are on the FPS side, we had too much FPS this gen.

.la1n

The more Mario (at the quality they have continued to maintain) is not a bad thing, why do people not want nice things? :p

Yup, I love 2D/3D platformer and this genre is so rare these days.
Wii U launch games are perfect for me, with this, Rayman and some eshop games(Cloudberry Kingdom).
The only franchise fatigue I can see now are on the FPS side, we had too much FPS this gen.

I mean lets take a brief glimps at all the mario universe titles of this gen

On the DS

we had

yoshi's island 2
super princess peach
new super mario bros
2 mario rpgs
3 mario vs dk puzzle games
A few mario sports, 1 mario party, and misc games

On the wii we had

1 mario rpg
new super mario bros
2 galaxies
A few mario sports, 1 mario party, and misc games

its been alot of solid, awesome stuff this gen, more collectively than any other gen

The_Lump

Banned

Hmm. its possible. But try telling that to Halo (sold Xboxes in droves, didnt revolutionise FPS games)....

In fact, most of the popular, system selling games that I can recall for the last couple gens havn't necessarily been experiences we hadn't seen before. I admit, NSMBU wont single handedly carry the WiiU, but luckily no one is expecting it to :p

AntMurda

Wondering if Nintendo does Nintendo Land and Super Mario Bros. U launch (November) and Pikmin 3 (December)?

Or if they do Wii U Fit (December) instead of Pikmin 3. It is hard to tell what they are thinking.

Kids eat these games up? The ones eating up Mario are the parents. Kids are too busy texting.
Yep coz parents love playing Mario much more than their kids. Oh and don't forget kids can only text or play Mario, not both at the same time!

"little jimmy what game do you want for christmas?"
"call of duty!"
"no you're getting Mario, and thats that!"

Wondering if Nintendo does Nintendo Land and Super Mario Bros. U launch (November) and Pikmin 3 (December)?

Or if they do Wii U Fit (December) instead of Pikmin 3. It is hard to tell what they are thinking.
They will launch Mario with Wii U, it'd be stupid to launch the system in the holiday and not have Mario ready for it. Mario is a huge seller during the holidays.

I think Wii Fit U would be a better fit than Pikmin 3, need something for the soccermoms too ya know.
oh right they have Mario lol!!!!

Nintendo Land: launch
New Super Mario Bros. U: week before Black Friday
Pikmin 3: December
Wii Fit U (w/ Wii U Pedometer): Q1 2013

AntMurda

Nintendo Land: launch
New Super Mario Bros. U: week before Black Friday
Pikmin 3: December
Wii Fit U (w/ Wii U Pedometer): Q1 2013

I think Nintendo Land and Super Mario Bros. U are definitely there November. Maybe. Pikmin 3 also or December. Wii U Fit and Sing could also be Q4. Very tough to figure out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I remember after the reveal of NSMB Wii, in the six months between E3 and its release date, it was trolled to hell and gone. People said it was: cheap, non-innovative, had bad GRAPHIX, nobody but a few hard core fanboys would ever buy it or want to play it, why can't every game be a revolutionary 3D Mario game (because only 3D is good), it should be a $10 downlodable game, Nintendo Has Lost The Plot (tm)... and so forth.

Game is released, sells massive numbers, helps push system sales, gets bundled in with Wii as a system selling game later, goes on to sell what, 25 million copies? Was it more at this point?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know this sound absurd if you just go off people's opinions on this forum, but frankly from a sales perspective Nintendo is going to really have to space some titles out. There is a lot of potentially high selling stuff in that launch window.

ASIS

I remember after the reveal of NSMB Wii, in the six months between E3 and its release date, it was trolled to hell and gone. People said it was: cheap, non-innovative, had bad GRAPHIX, nobody but a few hard core fanboys would ever buy it or want to play it, why can't every game be a revolutionary 3D Mario game (because only 3D is good), it should be a $10 downlodable game, Nintendo Has Lost The Plot (tm)... and so forth.

Game is released, sells massive numbers, helps push system sales, gets bundled in with Wii as a system selling game later, goes on to sell what, 25 million copies? Was it more at this point?

I just can't believe that the 2D mario games are now actually considered a casual game by some of the people here, that is just the worst.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The only way I don't see NSMB U at launch is if Nintendo doesn't release the console on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I really don't think that's going to happen.

I think Nintendo Land and Super Mario Bros. U are definitely there November. Maybe. Pikmin 3 also or December. Wii U Fit and Sing could also be Q4. Very tough to figure out.
Even though they're entirely different games and even in different genres, I think Nintendo's going to want to space out Pikmin 3 and Project P-100, so I think P3 is a lock for this year and P-100 pushes to later Q1.

I see at least NOA pushing Game & Wario out to Q1 for the same reason (breathing room from Nintendo Land). Wii Fit U and Sing could both be Dec or Q1, though I could see NOA loading December with both AND P3 to try and serve multiple audiences for the holidays. Sing and WFU will both come bundled with peripherals that could complicate things though.

I think NG3 will be launch or Nov, and Lego will go Q1. I can see NOA trying to do a game a month in Q1, maybe something like G&W Jan, P-100 Feb, Lego March.

I havevno clue about Panorama View, my guess is if we actually get it, it'll be a preloaded app on the system.

therapist

I hate that i cant get a black wii u at launch...like is it really that fucking hard nintendo?

The black wii is so nice compared to the white one imo...BLARGH.

Guess ill end up getting white and a console skin down the line...stupid white consoles :/

Also , hopefully this is launch but i guess 2-3 weeks later. - EDIT : Confirmed launch good stuff ,will help sell a lot of consoles.

Its ok , Zombi U will keep me occupied.

RagnarokX

Some people thought it was a port of the DS game... hell, some people still think that.

Instead it's the best 2D Mario yet.

I hate that i cant get a black wii u at launch...like is it really that fucking hard nintendo?

The black wii is so nice compared to the white one imo...BLARGH.

Guess ill end up getting white and a console skin down the line...stupid white consoles :/

Also , hopefully this is launch but i guess 2-3 weeks later. - EDIT : Confirmed launch good stuff ,will help sell a lot of consoles.

Its ok , Zombi U will keep me occupied.

Wait the Black Wii U won't be available at launch? Is that confirmed?

I'd say only 3DS launch is worse.

Really? DS launch was terrible. You really think a Mario 64 port is better than the Wii U launch? N64 had like two games for months. I guess you can make the argument for NES considering how long it was ago and how console gaming wasn't established yet. Wii had a Twilight Princess port that was better on Gamecube. I don't even know what the SNES lineup was. People seem to have nostalgia glasses for a bunch of launches that had like 1 good-great game with a bunch of trash.

udivision

The "New Super Mario" series has sold over 50 million copies this gen. Why can't one, at that point, say that a lot of people will buy the next game? Did they need to sell 75 million? 100 million? I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure Mario is more popular now than even the heyday of Mario 64.

Anth0ny

This is possibly the most untrue thing I've seen on this board. That's saying something.

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
THPS3/SSBM
Twilight Princess/Wii Sports

Wii U doesn't come close if there's no Mario.

Really? DS launch was terrible. You really think a Mario 64 port is better than the Wii U launch? N64 had like two games for months. I guess you can make the argument for NES considering how long it was ago and how console gaming wasn't established yet. Wii had a Twilight Princess port that was better on Gamecube.

You obviously underestimate my love for Mario 64 :3

okay I'll give you DS

I don't even know what the SNES lineup was. People seem to have nostalgia glasses for a bunch of launches that had like 1 good-great game with a bunch of trash.

oh.

The "New Super Mario" series has sold over 50 million copies this gen. Why can't one, at that point, say that a lot of people will buy the next game? Did they need to sell 75 million? 100 million? I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure Mario is more popular now than even the heyday of Mario 64.

Exactly

A 2d mario platformer is the perfect launch title right now.

No game for them will

A) Sell that much

B) Be a slow burner

The only reason I say the wii u has a chance to sell out is because of mario u

Top Bottom