• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

tnw

Banned
did people already mention that you can do 2-player, with the second player picking up star pieces?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
To elaborate further, tnw, the 2nd player can :

1) Collect stars with the 2nd player's cursor, it contributes to Mario's star gem total
2) Freeze/Hold enemies briefly (or Mario)
3) Stun Enemies with the collected star gems by shooting them via pointer (it hasn't been stated if the 2nd player can stun Mario with the star gems)

It also hasn't been elaborated if the 2nd player can activate those blue star nav-points that transport Mario.

Amir0x said:
Well beside the gameplay possibilities present in the concept of platforming through space on hundreds of tiny and huge planets/lands with multiple levels of gravity (LSD platformer multiplied by awesome, insane and win), it's also the best looking Wii game - aka, a game that FINALLY uses the other duct taped Gamecube - with phenomenal artistic direction, rim lighting, fantastic image quality and vibrant and attractive worlds.

But that's just from my perspective, what looks amazing to you may be different!

We've known all that for over a year though!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TSA's Interview said:
Not having a free camera control is hard, since every player is different and wants to move the camera in many angles depending on the situation. This game features an intelligent camera system that makes the player forget about it.

What the shit hell. Every single preview for this game ever has mentioned this exact thing: a fully automatic and uncontrollable camera. And YET, in every single preview build of this game ever, you've been able to rotate and control the camera with the D-Pad. This is seriously starting to drive me insane.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Tathanen said:
What the shit hell. Every single preview for this game ever has mentioned this exact thing: a fully automatic and uncontrollable camera. And YET, in every single preview build of this game ever, you've been able to rotate and control the camera with the D-Pad. This is seriously starting to drive me insane.

From my understanding it's automated, but you can change it yourself.

P90

Amir0x said:
Well beside the gameplay possibilities present in the concept of platforming through space on hundreds of tiny and huge planets/lands with multiple levels of gravity (LSD platformer multiplied by awesome, insane and win), it's also the best looking Wii game - aka, a game that FINALLY uses the other duct taped Gamecube - with phenomenal artistic direction, rim lighting, fantastic image quality and vibrant and attractive worlds.

But that's just from my perspective, what looks amazing to you may be different!

I'm having trouble with the scans. Superlatives like that coming from you must mean the game looks amazing.

'twould be interesting to get dark10x's, Pana's and the other graphics worshippers' takes on the scans.

Amir0x

Banned
P90 said:
I'm having trouble with the scans. Superlatives like that coming from you must mean the game looks amazing.

'twould be interesting to get dark10x's, Pana's and the other graphics worshippers' takes on the scans.

you haven't seen videos from E3 either? The scans didn't suddenly improve on that, it just looks equally as good. A giant mole boss! A fucking space haunted house! BOO MARIO!

Graphics Horse said:
We've known all that for over a year though!

yes so it's been amazing in all that time, why would we stop saying that in a thread where more of this awesome game is revealed!

It's not the same in that I don't think it lets you zoom in or out. Just rotate it left and right.

I don't think I've seen any video where somebody needed to move the camera, the game seems to be designed to make it unnecessary.

skinnyrattler said:
Or, I'm fully waiting for some 3rd party to raise a stink about how Nintendo is slow on the release of all dev tools. Or documentation.
I thought a lot of the point of duct-taping GameCubes (other than cost) was that there wouldn't be a lot of change to these things?

Squeak

Scrubking said:
Hopefully a lot better.
Mario 64s camera is still 10 years after the best ever, together with Wind Wakers.
The combination of camera splines for automatic movement and the choice of fast snapping movement, softer free movements and a fixed view, has never been bettered.
TheGreatDave said:
It's not the same in that I don't think it lets you zoom in or out. Just rotate it left and right.

I don't think I've seen any video where somebody needed to move the camera, the game seems to be designed to make it unnecessary.
It good that they implemented it though, as the game would feel much less free and quite staged, without the ability to freely move the view.

One thing I'm still wondering though, is how they are explaining the pointers actions in the world Mario inhabits? I mean has he suddenly grow psychokinetic powers or what?

Squeak said:
It good that they implemented it though, as the game would feel much less free and quite staged, without the ability to freely move the view.

I'd rather have the option of course. Just hope that it's not needed too much.

StevieP

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I thought a lot of the point of duct-taping GameCubes (other than cost) was that there wouldn't be a lot of change to these things?

The first iterations of the Wii devkit were... a Gamecube dev kit with the remote functionality. There's obviously more to Wii than a doubled GC, and so many devs still can't do "shaders" - I'm hoping the rumours are true that the dev tools are being updated by the SMG team, as it would likely benefit everyone except Factor 5.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hopefully there's not a ton of huge bottom-less pits.

I still have trouble playing certain areas in Mario 64 due to my fear of heights.

Your fear of heights actually extends into videogames? Really? Heights is my biggest phobia, but it sure as hell has no effect and has never had any effect on me in games.

Jacobi

Banned
JDSN said:
So basically Mario 128 was God in game form.
it was probably more of a research project - still I wonder what Miyamoto wanted to show at that E3 (he supposedly had a trailer or something at one I think 2005)

ksamedi

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hopefully there's not a ton of huge bottom-less pits.

I still have trouble playing certain areas in Mario 64 due to my fear of heights.

Are you serious? Do you experience this fear even in a videogame?

dude

dude
I'm really interested in the pointer-thing...
I like how it's sort of breaking the 4th wall, you're not playing just Mario anymore, you're YOU helping him around with the wiimote. I see it like the Psycho Mantis battle in the first MGS,
you are not playing just as Snake, you're you - you have to physically help Snake by changing the controller port.
I think it's a brilliant concept, because most games introduce you to a number of actions you can give the character in the game, like crouch or jump, and then you simplify your thought into those actions in every problem in the game (as these are your ways of interacting as the character). But in MGS and SMG (WTF COINCIDENCE?!) you need to break of those actions as your only ways of interaction and solve "problems". I hope we'll see creative and 'think out side the box" type challenges involving the wiimote, and not the just a number of known actions (likeusing the blue stars or the spin around the flowers.)
sorry about my English.

rakka

P90 said:

page1
dark10x said:
I must admit, those visuals real REALLY nice.

It looks like they took those backpackless levels from Super Mario Sunshine--the best damn parts of that game--upped the insanity with some twisted and brillaint looking levels and threw in all of the variety we've come to expect from Mario games over the years.

I can only buy two more games before the year is through and I think that this will definently be one of them.

I haven't read my way through this entire thread, but the first six or seven pages were kind of ludicrous, especially with the bit about fps's. wtf

.dmc

Banned
Squeak said:
One thing I'm still wondering though, is how they are explaining the pointers actions in the world Mario inhabits? I mean has he suddenly grow psychokinetic powers or what?

Part of the problem with FLUDD was that they took a cool mechanic + turned it into a shitty character, if they do the same with the star cursor ("Hey! I'm a goofy character who sits behind the camera! Watch as I'm inappropriately drawn into the story line!") I'll be pretty disappointed. All they need is a reference to the gamer-as-entity & they're set.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jaundicejuice said:
It'll cure aids and cancer too?

Pfft. It'll go back in time and stop them from ever spreading.

Oh, and it'll help Hitler get accepted to that art school he applied to, thereby avoiding WWII altogether.

ggd210

What a shame I don’t understand a single word of Japanese language, but… images says more than 1000 words!!! All those pictures are… amazing, I really want to play it… everything I see from Mario Galaxy is incredible, and much more to know… Mario is going to be a bee, boo, and more, right? Gravity effects will be FUN!! And…. Game is COLORFULL! Great!!

ggd210/Mex

p.s. do you know how many forms will Mario transforms to?

ggd210 said:
p.s. do you know how many forms will Mario transforms to?
Not yet but we can easily imagine which transformation could still be here.
I don't know if they'll had some that were in NSMB or Paper Mario but Bee and Boo Mario is really good news. I prefer them to create few new forms that perfectly fit in the SMG universe than to have a lot but useless forms.
I think i'll soon put a blackout on Mario Galaxy related media.
I really want to feel the same thing i felt when i first played SM64 (best game i ever played).

Squeak

.dmc said:
Part of the problem with FLUDD was that they took a cool mechanic + turned it into a shitty character, if they do the same with the star cursor ("Hey! I'm a goofy character who sits behind the camera! Watch as I'm inappropriately drawn into the story line!") I'll be pretty disappointed. All they need is a reference to the gamer-as-entity & they're set.
But they will need to do that in an explicit statement (like in MGS) otherwise the idea will feel dangling and amputated.
It's and interesting idea though, breaking down the 4th wall for the duration of the whole game.
Precisely because it's such a new concept, they need to explain it a bit in the intro.

And BTW, the problem with FLUDD wasn't the bad character design (he only spoke for what, 30 seconds during the whole game?), as much as it was the broken implementation of the idea (non locus of attention modes (the switching between the hover mode and spray mode) are strictly forbidden in action games, and should generally be avoided where possible).

It also felt "unclean" to strap a device to Mario through the whole game.
Why not just invent a new character who could do those two things (Yoshi would have been an obvious choice)?

Top Bottom