• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

Drewsy

Banned
nincompoop said:
It did, it just wasn't very good (like most of the game)

gaeifaabl.jpg

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ant1532 said:
And this is when I lost all hope in Gaf.
I am getting this close ][ to have my first personal meltdown on GAF. The level of trolling has reached GFAQs levels. You could almost excuse it as just someone's opinion but it happens too fast, too often, too focused and too predictably to be anything but viral. In the last 3 threads I've entered, I've seen mulitple blanket statements like this against Metroid, Kid Icarus, Zelda and now SM64 (of all games).

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Thinking of that, the developers of Galaxy wanted to tear apart the new tendency of playing all alone, so they came up with the "assist play system," which they like to call "meddling play system." This system can either help the player controlling Mario or get in his way, depending on the second player's actions, so they'll have to communicate with one another if they want to reach a mutual understanding.

So its like when you were a kid playing a 1 player game and then had a friend over that thought he was controlling the bad guys but he actually is? That's awesome.

AlternativeUlster said:
So its like when you were a kid playing a 1 player game and then had a friend over that thought he was controlling the bad guys but he actually is? That's awesome.

I think it's more like the Tingle Tuner where your friend could bomb the hell out of you and waste all your rupies.

Grug

What I am about to say is devoid of all hyperbole and fanboyism.

This game will bring peace to Planet Earth.

Dr.Hadji

These screens scare me. In nearly all of them, I can't figure out how you would play them. Square planets? What can you do on something so small and cube-ish. Boo levels with long hallways? Is this a stealth mission? How am I going to dodge all those cannon balls? You need 2d sidescroller level of control to do that.

Ug. My mind.

Tristam

Dr.Hadji said:
These screens scare me. In nearly all of them, I can't figure out how you would play them. Square planets? What can you do on something so small and cube-ish. Boo levels with long hallways? Is this a stealth mission? How am I going to dodge all those cannon balls? You need 2d sidescroller level of control to do that.

Ug. My mind.

Play Super Mario Sunshine's secret levels and prepare to be wowed: cubical shapes are fully navigable in 3D! Don't worry, I initially thought it impossible too!

anyone who has played this super awsome game knows its going to kick some serious ass!!!

cant wait to play it again!

what date is it out in europe?

PolyGone

Banned
Tristam said:
Play Super Mario Sunshine's secret levels and prepare to be wowed: cubical shapes are fully navigable in 3D! Don't worry, I initially thought it impossible too!

man I loved / hated those things

so good, yet so hard, and they actually make you sorta glad to have the water pak

Model 500

Dr.Hadji said:
These screens scare me. In nearly all of them, I can't figure out how you would play them. Square planets? What can you do on something so small and cube-ish....How am I going to dodge all those cannon balls? You need 2d sidescroller level of control to do that.

Ug. My mind.

It actually feels quite natural to run and avoid the cannon balls (or in some cases make them follow you and hit a target), in addition to that, you can stun them for a moment with the pointer. There's lots of room for interesting puzzles.

SMG FTW!

Model 500

PolyGone said:

so good, yet so hard, and they actually make you sorta glad to have the water pak

What I would've liked to see more in SMS (which I thought was very good) was more stages like the construction area. Even more complex platforming with the excellent water pack. Bee Mario and the levels we've seen so far get my hopes up for something like this.

milanbaros

Member?
PolyGone said:

I loved them. I think they were some of the best things to come from the mario games in years. It just felt like pure platforming to me. Completeing the difficult ones was so satisfying. They had just the right balance of skill/luck as well.

Sagitario

TSA said:

Hype +10000000

Platforming is my favorite genre, I can't wait for this game...

I loved Sunshine and one of the reasons was the tightness of the control: when you jump, you know exactly where you're going to land or how far you'll go...

That's exactly the type of control I'm expecting from Galaxy...

I think that kind of perfection in control is what a lot of platformers (or even other genres with jumping elements) need and are sadly missing...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AniHawk said:
November 12 7002.

Bastard! :lol

Being in the UK, I can only hope NoE actually make sure this comes out this year, but after taking like 6 months to get SPM out (We still haven't seen it yet :/) I am not optimisitc :'(

looks really good. Though the space level looks better than all the others. Art design is nice. LPB is the most interesting platform hyprid personally, but nice to see mario is bringing something new. The next big progression in the series

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mysticstylez said:
Looks friggin awesome, I'm just worried that my fear of heights is gonna make me pussy out and not play this. I couldn't play certain levels in Sonic Adventure cause of my fear of heights.
You should probably see a counselor about that. If your fear is so bad that you can't even stand seeing heights in games or movies, you should get help.

Ikael

Halfway through development, Mr. Miyamoto joined Mr. Koizumi as a co-director; he supervised many aspects of the game, from maps to physiscs, and made several suggestions to the team. Small spheric surfaces aren't really suited for a jumping game, so they gave Mario a new attack, the "spin movement," and created a method to fly from one planet to another, the "star rings."

But, but Miyamoto has completely losted his mind and now he conly can do games for girlz and Nintendogs!!11!!!!
Talking seriously, once you start playing the game you will really see how much of a good addition the spinning attack was. To jump in a sphere / non flat surface with variable gravity is very, very tricky and hard. If every enemy would have had to be killed on that way this game would be almost unplayable. Great design decision.

Ug. My mind.

Yep, that's exactly how you will feel with this game and that's an awesome feeling :D seriously, the main attraction of the game is exactly that: nothing ever repeats. The feeling of wonder and novelty is constant, even when you have been playing for more than half an hour, is still there. As someone said, this game will bring peace on Earth. Or even better: peace on GAF. This might be the first game that is universally un - trolled in GAF.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
Only americans spell colour incorrectly. Queen's English ftw. :p
beelzebozo said:
the idea that there is one "queen's english" is almost as silly as putting a u in color

Actually, I was of the understanding that there WAS a "queen's English", which is a bit different than the English everyone else on the isles speak.

I will continue to use color and aluminum, although I am partial to grey.

ant1532

Banned
This has been my most anticipated game ever. When I was 6 years old and SM64 came out it had the biggest impact on me out of any game ever. I was obsessed with that game, played it constantly after getting all 120 stars(which only took me a month to get at 6 :D ) I followed Mario 128 in stories in EGM, Next Gen, and Nintendo Power and was hoping for Super Mario 64 2 but nothing ever happened with that as we all know.

So yeah, Galaxy really is the biggest game ever to come out for me since SM64. But I still get annoyed at people acting like Galaxy is the first 3D Mario platformer to have a desert world and all that.

You know, I think this game actually makes perfect sense as the true evolution of the series. The screen shots clearly support that -- but so does the name. Has anyone even noticed that yet? I'm going to cut this down and not mention all Mario games released -- so bear with me.

Super Mario
Super Mario 2
Super Mario Land
Super Mario 3
Mario WORLD
Yoshi's Island (prequel of sorts?)
Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine (Mario goes on vacation -- some argue in more ways than one)
Super Mario GALAXY

Notice how by using the word Galaxy, Nintendo has moved on with some of the original concepts from the series. Sunshine was an obvious departure. But, Mario Land, Mario World and Mario Galaxy are all perfectly in line. I think it's safe to say Galaxy is going to spawn the entire Mario galaxy -- and we're likely going to see a little bit of everything from every world or land that Mario has ever explored.

And, how is Mario going to get to each World or Land? By Star Roads --- a la Mario World's star world travel system. We've just seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of the actual scope of the final game.

Consider me super excite!!!!!!!!! :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mr. Miyamoto had been testing gravity effects even since the Nintendo 64, but the results were not satisfactory. It was until the Wii came along that it became something feasible. Super Mario Galaxy and Pikmin feature around 80% of all the ideas behind Mario 128. Nintendo may use the other 20% in about five years, but they'll remain secret until then.

What exactly did Pikmin do that could have been used in a Mario game?

Halfway through development, Mr. Miyamoto joined Mr. Koizumi as a co-director

Bu bu bu only teleconferencing!

ant1532

Banned
Oblivion said:
What exactly did Pikmin do that could have been used in a Mario game?
I think it was the whole idea of many characters you control at once. Remember the 128 Mario demo, that turned into Pikmin. It also contained the small sphere planet idea.

rakka said:
It's supposed to yes.

The fact that Nintendo can have a game like Mario Galaxy running at 60FPS just shows how far behind most third parties are. There's plenty of power in the Wii to create really nice visuals, its just a case of making the effort.

ant1532

Banned
Superblatt said:
You know, I think this game actually makes perfect sense as the true evolution of the series. The screen shots clearly support that -- but so does the name. Has anyone even noticed that yet? I'm going to cut this down and not mention all Mario games released -- so bear with me.

Super Mario
Super Mario 2
Super Mario Land
Super Mario 3
Mario WORLD
Yoshi's Island (prequel of sorts?)
Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine (Mario goes on vacation -- some argue in more ways than one)
Super Mario GALAXY

Notice how by using the world Galaxy, Nintendo has moved on with some of the original concepts from the series. Sunshine was an obvious departure. But, Mario Land, Mario World and Mario Galaxy are all perfectly in line. I think it's safe to say Galaxy is going to spawn the entire Mario galaxy -- and we're likely going to see a little bit of everything from every world or land that Mario has ever explored.

And, how is Mario going to get to each World or Land? By Star Roads --- a la Mario World's star world travel system. We've just seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of the actual scope of the final game.

Consider me super excite!!!!!!!!! :D
You forgot to bold Land.

cvxfreak said:
How about New Super Mario World?
:O

I didn't even think about that possibility.

selig

Banned
evilromero said:
But we skipped Super Mario Solar System. Do a smell a prequel?

Galaxy is already bigger than a solar system.
Just for the younger ones that shouldnt learn something wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
KyotoMecca said:
I must be missing something here, I don't see what makes this look so OMG1 amazing in the slightest.

Well beside the gameplay possibilities present in the concept of platforming through space on hundreds of tiny and huge planets/lands with multiple levels of gravity (LSD platformer multiplied by awesome, insane and win), it's also the best looking Wii game - aka, a game that FINALLY uses the other duct taped Gamecube - with phenomenal artistic direction, rim lighting, fantastic image quality and vibrant and attractive worlds.

But that's just from my perspective, what looks amazing to you may be different!

andthebeatgoeson

brain_stew said:
The fact that Nintendo can have a game like Mario Galaxy running at 60FPS just shows how far behind most third parties are. There's plenty of power in the Wii to create really nice visuals, its just a case of making the effort.
Or, I'm fully waiting for some 3rd party to raise a stink about how Nintendo is slow on the release of all dev tools. Or documentation. Just saying. Or maybe that's just the natural advantage to developing hardware.

Then again, MS and Sony are in the same predicament and they aren't in the same predicament where their 1st class devs are completely above the rest. Nintendo is great but I can't really see why this is so. All devs aren't lazy, right? Each and every one? This has been a Nintendo problem for a few gens, right?

Top Bottom