• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

SantaC

this level > all and showed SMS flashes of brilliance.

supermariosunshine06.jpg

how the hell are there so many japanophiles that like shitty ass pussy whipped anime and yet NO ONE HAS FUCKING TRANSLATED THIS SHIT YET

it's a nintendo interview. They rarely reveal interesting stuff.

Nabs

anyone here wanna give me their sunshine disc? i dont want to pay 20 at eb :( (I lost the game some how)

november 12th can't come sooner... sigh. I replayed Mario 64 and I need more.

usea

SantaC said:
this level > all

supermariosunshine06.jpg
To me, climbing the back of that thing was one of the game's weak points. I fell so many times :lol It's because in most of the game you can run around and move quickly and have fun. But there, you have to be slow and patient. I just wanted to speed through it and I kept falling.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
usea said:
I think the point is that sunshine wasn't a lesser game than 64. It was better, but given the amount of time between them the advancements weren't huge enough to avoid disappointing a lot of people. The game was better, but people expected some sort of miracle.

Now people will just be relieved to get anything better than sunshine, so the game can't fail in the eyes of most people around here.

Er..can't speak for everyone, but the disappointment with Sunshine for me definitely wasn't due to the lack of revolutionary features. It was competing against Mario 64, a game that brought platformers into the 3rd dimension, it would be quite a fucking feat to top. I would even argue that Galaxy isn't even that revolutionary. But I didn't mind that, what was bad was definitely the lack of variety, and fludd wasn't a particularly imaginitive device. I mean it was fun to use, but not as neat as some previous Mario items.

selig

Banned
Amir0x said:
What you quoted isn't what "kept Sunshine back" at all, except in your opinion. Those two features are some of the BEST things about Sunshine in my book. I loved the idea of a more focused platformer, that didn't need to touch on the arbitrary "snow level" and "desert level" like some ancient checklist. I loved the vacation theme, and I didn't need any more "unique environments". Same for capabilities... while there's nothing wrong with it, I loved the focus and thought the FLUDDless levels were more than enough change to keep my happy.

That said, I'm quite excited about Galaxies approach as well... but I do not think at all that what you said here held it back. I think the only two problems with the game was the Bowser segment, and the Hotel level.

Whenever people complain about Mario Sunshine, it´s the lack of variety.
So it´s definitely what held Mario Sunshine back.
That said i loved SMS.

Amir0x

Banned
SantaC said:
it's a nintendo interview. They rarely reveal interesting stuff.

This seems to be the case based on dark10x's comment as well...

selig said:
Whenever people complain about Mario Sunshine, it´s the lack of variety.
So it´s definitely what held Mario Sunshine back.
That said i loved SMS.

Some vague consensus among a specific grounp of gamers - even if it were the minority - has nothing to do with 'holding a game back' (except in their specific opinions). These exact complaints made the game BETTER to me and others, so it's not something that could be said in such a way.

Oblivion

Amir0x said:
Some vague consensus among a specific grounp of gamers - even if it were the minority -

Pretty sure we're not in the minority. The decision with Galaxy can attest to this, I would think.

SantaC said:
:(

such good pics..
Mario Sunshine, like Mario 64, Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings 64, is like taking an awesome vacation. The water still looks amazing to this day. One thing I absolutely love to do is rocket across the water around Delfino Plaza.

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
Pretty sure we're not in the minority. The decision with Galaxy can attest to this, I would think.

i MEANT majority, just wrote minority instead.

And the decision with Galaxy I'm positive has nothing at all to do with Sunshine. I'm fairly certain that even if Sunshine was the single most popular game ever created, they'd still have went this unique route for the Wii version.

SantaC

evilromero said:
Mario Sunshine, like Mario 64, Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings 64, is like taking an awesome vacation. The water still looks amazing to this day. One thing I absolutely love to do is rocket across the water around Delfino Plaza.

pics worked now. I re-hosted them :D

I think this will be the best Mario game since Mario 64. There's nothing bad about Sunshine or New Super Mario Bros, but they were not designed in a way that people were making them up to be. First 3D Mario game in 5 years, and first 2D game in forever - but both were not designed like a games that were years in the making. Sunshine was designed more as a sequel summer diversion type of game that would have been better suited to have been released on the N64 in the summer of 99 or 2000 rather than something that bridges generation gaps. It should have been the Majora's Mask of the N64 type of game rather than the first Mario game in 5 years on a powerful console.

New Super Mario Bros also was designed in a similar way - it seemed more of a game design to follow the old Game Boy lineage of Mario games of Super Mario Land, than a game that should be considered the followup to Super Mario World or something.

I think its important to point out that these games are very similar in design in that the "worlds" of each level did not differ crazy amounts like Mario 64 or Mario 3, and the powerups of both combined were more barebones functional powerups rather than an intricate part of the design. Waterpack, or the minor powerups in NSMB didn't affect the game like Racoon Mario or Cape + Yoshi Mario combo.

This game looks like it has decent changing powerups for each level, like SMB 3, the varying level design of Mario 64, and the waggle controls and galaxy mechanic looks something like the high flying element of Super Mario World. This to me is why it looks completely different than the games Sunshine and New Mario were, or were trying to be.

SantaC

Amir0x said:

And the decision with Galaxy I'm positive has nothing at all to do with Sunshine. I'm fairly certain that even if Sunshine was the single most popular game ever created, they'd still have went this unique route for the Wii version.

exactly. Nintendo tend to change ways even being succesful. Look at zelda oot and zelda mm, they're were succesful and yet they went with an unique route.

Oblivion

Amir0x said:

Possibly. Though with Shiggy stating he was disappointed with Sunshine, and wanted a more Mario 64 feel to Galaxy, it makes one think.

But as SantaC stated, Nintendo likes to change stuff around anyway, so...

Mar

Image hosts are giving me spyware popup installers on open... You might want to put them somewhere else.

Socreges

Banned
wow, i can really see the game coming into its own now. i've also had this nagging concern in the back of my mind that the game was too detached and eclectic for its own good, but with all these large environments and interesting level designs, i'm actually getting very excited. not to mention the positive impressions...

Amir0x said:
Why are you positive that it has nothing to do with Sunshine? ...intuition? Gut instinct!?

It's absolutely possible that the directors behind the game were particularly concerned about including diverse/traditional locales given what many felt was a disappointing homogeneity in SMS.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the game's lack of popularity, but I don't see how you could claim that it has altogether nothing to do with the game.

Amir0x said:
What you quoted isn't what "kept Sunshine back" at all, except in your opinion.
Whoa, me talking about a game from my perspective? It's almost like I'm making an Amir0x post or something.

As long as I'm listing things I think seem better about SM64/SMG over SMS, I may as well toss in that I haven't seen many random townspeople wandering around in the middle of dangerous levels. If there are big intro story sequences, we've thus far been spared them.

Something else I didn't care for in Sunshine and I'm not sure how SMG stacks up (someone fill me in?) is that Mario didn't just gain new basic abilities through FLUDD, but lost standard moves like the long jump. I also didn't like how the ability to gain certain shines was much more dependent on which altered version of the stage you picked upon entering it; I don't know if Galaxy has anything like that.
evilromero said:
Superb. I personally liked the effect of DoF in Sunshine.
I felt they applied it way too close to be believably cool in both Sunshine and Wind Waker.

Amir0x said:

Wow, I actually agree with Amir0x. Seriously, anyone who thinks that the next Mario game wasn't going to be some varied land featuring the typical elements of hot, cold, classic enemies, and new things is pretty much off their rocker. This has been the NORM in Mario games, not the exception. Sunshine sold plenty, and Sunshine was still acclaimed no matter how many people overexaggerate and say it was just average. Nintendo wasn't going to make Sunshine 2 no matter what.

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Whoa, me talking about a game from my perspective? It's almost like I'm making an Amir0x post or something.

You took it offensively; I merely meant it didn't hold the game back at all for a great many people so it's pointless to try to use it as a base argument for why we should see Galaxy has a better foundation. It was, in point of fact, a huge positive feature. So in other words, what you said in regards to Galaxy's superiority to Sunshine was not a really compelling case. We're just back to "oh, you've played it?" Essentially.

JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as I'm listing things I think seem better about SM64/SMG over SMS, I may as well toss in that I haven't seen many random townspeople wandering around in the middle of dangerous levels. If there are big intro story sequences, we've thus far been spared them.

Have we? There's that new princess...

Salmonax

Amir0x said:
Absolutely. As with many flashes of Nintendo brilliance, Galaxy came about out of necessity. Without a second analog stick, camera control was either going to be cumbersome or non-existent. So making a game that relied on manual camera control like SMS on Wii would have been impractical. Their response was to create environments simple and small enough that camera control became largely unnecessary.

The variety just stems from that concept. If you're going to make dozens of little planetoids, you might as well make them unique.

I'm really interested in how this will do in Japan. I doubt it can have NSMB style relevance but the work they've done with the camera at least gives it that kind of potential. It'd be a shame if this is more of a Twilight Princess than a Wii Sports.

My problem with Sunshine is that they nailed the feeling of controling Mario, but not the idea of being in a Mario game. It lacked that abstract, over the top nature.

1-D_FTW

usea said:
To me, climbing the back of that thing was one of the game's weak points. I fell so many times :lol It's because in most of the game you can run around and move quickly and have fun. But there, you have to be slow and patient. I just wanted to speed through it and I kept falling.

I'm pretty sure I think I know what you're talking about. And I know a lot of reviews harped on that particular star. But I'm pretty sure I said screw this and found a way to get on top from the opposite side and then drop down and "steal" the star without going through the teeter maze.

From G0nintend0: Key points from article
- 6 worlds, 120 stars reconfirmed, multiple planets in each world

- Planets of water, ice, sand, and more

- Planet size varies wildly, as we have seen

- Bee Mario has the ability to use his stinger

- Boo Mario will be left alone by other boos

- The “butt stomp” has returned. You can see it about to happen in the second scan

- As we’ve seen, the multi-colored stars will gain you an extra man if you collect 100. They can also be used for special attacks other than shooting them.

AniHawk

CurseoftheGods said:
Wow. :D

How long has this game been in development?

Probably since they finished up on DKJB. Maybe 2-2.5 years. Of course, since this is "Super Mario 128," you could stretch that a lot longer.

CurseoftheGods said:
Wow. :D

How long has this game been in development?

The ideas have been thrown around for ages. If part of it came from Mario 128 that shit started before the Gamecube game out. Don't know about when it's current form was conceived though.

Bildi

bud said:
sweet jesus
titiklabingapat said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

omyfuckingg.

jesus, mary and joseph in heaven.

Can anyone translate what it says under the Boo Mario picture?
:lol I wasn't going to bother looking at the pictures. Until I read the first couple of comments.

Bildi

Those pics of Sunshine are nice I suppose, but you guys are forgetting the best part - THE SECRET LEVELS. They were perhaps my favourite thing any Mario platformer ever in spite of SMS overall being nowhere near the best.

And these areas from Galaxy look like they follow directly in the footsteps of those levels, particularly the first one:

Galaxy.jpg

Mashing

It's been said in interviews that they are using those levels in sunshine as inspiration for some of the levels in SMG. Everyone pretty much agrees those levels were the best thing going for Sunshine.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
And now I am purchasing SMS for I think the.... 4th time. Thanks for posting pics of it.

Bildi

Mashing said:
It's been said in interviews that they are using those levels in sunshine as inspiration for some of the levels in SMG. Everyone pretty much agrees those levels were the best thing going for Sunshine.
That's awesome news. I hadn't read that.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
why do you keep selling it :lol

Thats just how I roll! I usually get it, play halfway through and then use it in some trade in special at EB/Gamestop.

No, I dont want your opinion of EB/Gamestop or why trading in is dumb.

Amir0x

Banned
Favre4435 said:
Thats just how I roll! I usually get it, play halfway through and then use it in some trade in special at EB/Gamestop.

No, I dont want your opinion of EB/Gamestop or why trading in is dumb.

EB/Gamestop is awful, but trading in isn't dumb. I just thought that after the third time you repurchased Sunshine, you'd realize you're probably best NOT doing it again. Only that part is dumb :lol

Top Bottom