• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

dark10x said:
It's not unplayable, but many PS2 games have aged pretty badly and lose something as a result. Of course, I also believe that there are loads of great PS2 games that look better than most of the junk on Wii (not the hardwares fault, obviously).

So if Wii games looked like Mario Galaxy, there wouldn't be a problem. They're just not PS3/360 graphics, and that's ok. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dragona Akehi said:
So if Wii games looked like Mario Galaxy, there wouldn't be a problem. They're just not PS3/360 graphics, and that's ok. :p
That's right.

Of course, I also realize that there are a wide variety of stylistic choices out there and while the Wii may handle a bright, cartoony game such as this with style...it may not be able to produce such attractive results when dealing with other designs.

dark10x said:
That's right.

Of course, I also realize that there are a wide variety of stylistic choices out there and while the Wii may handle a bright, cartoony game such as this with style...it may not be able to produce such attractive results when dealing with other designs.

I'm personally still pissed that RE4 Wii has dithering and 16-bit colour. There ARE ways around that 3MB framebuffer. But alas, it was just a cheap port (with awesome new controls).

Oh my god that looks spectacular. The sheer variety of themed levels is great. Let's hope Mario starts out in a castle. I'd love to see an updated version of the Mushroom Kingdom before blasting off into space.

loosus

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm personally still pissed that RE4 Wii has dithering and 16-bit colour. There ARE ways around that 3MB framebuffer. But alas, it was just a cheap port (with awesome new controls).
There may be ways around the framebuffer (and, by the way, it's really only 2 MB) problem, but if they didn't plan for it, then they may not be able to get around it without a rewrite.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
slaughterking said:
Now someone translate the keyparts of the damn interview! :D
I read over half of it (before getting pulled into something else). I don't recall anything specifically interesting. They were basically discussing the concepts of the game (post Jungle Beat) and how they arrived at everything (gravity, spherical shapes, etc.). I'll see if I time to read the rest later...

Stuneseht

I look forward to future Wii game reviews after Super Mario Galaxy is released:D .
The same way every console FPS is compared to Gears of War, every Wii game will be compared to Galaxy graphics.

Enk

makes good threads.
donut.jpg

mmmmmm......donut.....

Kosma

Banned
Is there anything but hype for this game?

Can't wait. Imho it's up there with Bioshock as far as GOTY material.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MY TITS THEY'RE ALL OVER THEM!!

Has the Miyamoto interview been translated?

Neo C.

loosus said:
There may be ways around the framebuffer (and, by the way, it's really only 2 MB) problem, but if they didn't plan for it, then they may not be able to get around it without a rewrite.
Are you sure? I remember the Wii having 3 MB, while the Gamecube only have 2 MB.

Oblivion

jett said:
Mario Sunshine runs at 60fps I think.

No it doesn't. It's been a while since I played it so not sure about the fluddless levels, but it's 30fps on the island.

Buggy Loop

Dragona Akehi said:

Are peoples assuming that its 16bit because its obviously not 32bit? Cause it'd be 24bits most likely, all GC games were like that and i really dont see why it would change with wii.

"Colour" ? Are you from the UK/canada?

usea

Looks like they're sticking with the "everything is bright around the edges and dark in the middle" lighting scheme. Shame.

btrboyev

Looks like they're sticking with the "everything is bright around the edges and dark in the middle" lighting scheme. Shame.

I think that looks great personally, makes everything glow...which looks awesome.

Neo C. said:
Are you sure? I remember the Wii having 3 MB, while the Gamecube only have 2 MB.

I can be totally, totally off base about this but I swore that in one of the earlier Wii threads someone responded to my comment about Nintendo being too cheap to give the Wii a larger framebuffer by saying that the Wii's framebuffer was only meant for backcomp with Gamecube and in reality any part of the Wii main memory can be used for framebuffer.

Now he could have been blowing smoke up my ass but it would explain why some games look like last gen ports and others look like this. can anyone with development knowhow shed some light on this?

Buggy Loop said:
Are peoples assuming that its 16bit because its obviously not 32bit? Cause it'd be 24bits most likely, all GC games were like that and i really dont see why it would change with wii.

The PS2 version irony of ironies had 24-bit colour and significantly improved the IQ (less colour-banding and dithering).

"Colour" ? Are you from the UK/canada?

Only americans spell colour incorrectly. Queen's English ftw. :p

Oblivion

Saint Gregory said:
I can be totally, totally off base about this but I swore that in one of the earlier Wii threads someone responded to my comment about Nintendo being too cheap to give the Wii a larger framebuffer by saying that the Wii's framebuffer was only meant for backcomp with Gamecube and in reality any part of the Wii main memory can be used for framebuffer.

Now he could have been blowing smoke up my ass but it would explain why some games look like last gen ports and others look like this. can anyone with development knowhow shed some light on this?

I believe it's 2 MB frame buffer with 1 MB texture memory...or something.

usea

btrboyev said:
I think that looks great personally, makes everything glow...which looks awesome.
I couldn't disagree more. The last thing I want is everything glowing in a game I'm playing. It's increadibly distracting and I think it looks terrible.

titiklabingapat said:
[what's IQ?]
Image quality.

Oblivion said:
I believe it's 2 MB frame buffer with 1 MB texture memory...or something.

That definately fits with what most Wii games so far seem to be using, but I find it difficult to believe that's all MG is using after seeing it in motion. Those are some very nice textures on those polys.

Edit: Didn't we settle this back in the 18th century?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
usea said:
Could be worse, could be next-gen.

Joking aside, I don't think they overused lighting where it wasn't needed.

Meta-Knight said:
Oh, Galaxy is better than sunshine, I see. How many hours did you play Galaxy, exactly?
Heh. A fair enough thing to say, but these screens (along with all the older ones) do show evidence that some of the things that kept SMS from being as amazing as SM64 are present: many unique environments, and more unique capabilities.
dark10x said:
I've never said a shitty game with great graphics is good either. I do believe that a great game with terrible visuals suffers greatly as a result, however. It may still be worth playing, but much of the experience is sacrified. "Raw Danger" is a great example of this. The concept is great and the game itself has many quality elements, but the visuals and performance are SO POOR that it completely detracts from the experience.
It all depends on how we define graphics. Certainly a game with a shitty frame rate, draw-in and popup, or even distractingly poor effects (I'm looking at you, Skies of Arcadia's bilinear filtering) can harm a game, definitely. But with its visual design, Super Mario Galaxy could be made on a GameCube 0.5 instead of GameCube 1.5, and still look very cool.

Looking for some shots of Raw Danger... that's just sloppy.
Panajev2001a said:
See, this is why I now buy all Nintendo consoles at launch (since the GCN, I missed doing so with the N64, but I did import it before it launched in my city)... they do not drop in price for like... years...
Well, I'm not sure where in the world you are, but I know in the US N64 dropped after 6 months, GCN after 6 months, DS after 9 months. Of course, systems as crazy successful from the get-go as GBA and Wii take longer, regardless of manufacturer.

miyuru

I honestly feel how I felt when seeing Mario 64 for the first time, man it's been so long since I've felt so.....ALIVE!! :lol

But seriously, wow.

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. A fair enough thing to say, but these screens (along with all the older ones) do show evidence that some of the things that kept SMS from being as amazing as SM64 are present: many unique environments, and more unique capabilities.

What you quoted isn't what "kept Sunshine back" at all, except in your opinion. Those two features are some of the BEST things about Sunshine in my book. I loved the idea of a more focused platformer, that didn't need to touch on the arbitrary "snow level" and "desert level" like some ancient checklist. I loved the vacation theme, and I didn't need any more "unique environments". Same for capabilities... while there's nothing wrong with it, I loved the focus and thought the FLUDDless levels were more than enough change to keep my happy.

That said, I'm quite excited about Galaxies approach as well... but I do not think at all that what you said here held it back. I think the only two problems with the game was the Bowser segment, and the Hotel level.

usea

Amir0x said:
What you quoted isn't what "kept Sunshine back" at all, except in your opinion. Those two features are some of the BEST things about Sunshine in my book. I loved the idea of a more focused platformer, that didn't need to touch on the arbitrary "snow level" and "desert level" like some ancient checklist. I loved the vacation theme, and I didn't need any more "unique environments". Same for capabilities... while there's nothing wrong with it, I loved the focus and thought the FLUDDless levels were more than enough change to keep my happy.

That said, I'm quite excited about Galaxies approach as well... but I do not think at all that what you said here held it back. I think the only two problems with the game was the Bowser segment, and the Hotel level.
There's finally an amir0x post I can get behind! SMS was fantastic.

Amir0x said:
I think the only two problems with the game was the Bowser segment, and the Hotel level.

Am I the only one who really liked the Boo Hotel? I agree about Bowser but the Pinata Village bothered me more than the Hotel.

Saint Gregory said:
Am I the only one who really liked the Boo Hotel? I agree about Bowser but the Pinata Village bothered me more than the Hotel.

Yup, same here. I actually quite liked the Hotel when you weren't fucking with the camera.

Amir0x

Banned
Saint Gregory said:

My primary problem was the camera. It simply did not function at all in that hotel. Especially that part where you had to go through the rooms, it was almost unplayably bad.

I had no problem with the camera in the game... I thought it was fantastic... except for that part. It was not a level designed with the game's camera system in mind imo.

Amir0x said:
My primary problem was the camera. It simply did not function at all in that hotel. Especially that part where you had to go through the rooms, it was almost unplayably bad.

I had no problem with the camera in the game... I thought it was fantastic... except for that part. It was not a level designed with the game's camera system in mind imo.

I get you, but I'm rarely bothered by bad cameras in games. There are tons of games that people complain about the cameras that don't bother me at all. As long as they give you freedom to control it like Sunshine did, I can pretty much handle it without thinking about it.

Innotech

Banned
I enjoyed SMS a lot really for what it was, but sorry, Galaxy really just seems to take Mario to a higher level not seen since N64.

The hotel level was definitely the only weak area in Sunshine, the other six levels were all like giant playgrounds to play around in, and they allowed for some insanely acrobatic platforming moments due to their intricate layouts, but the hotel level felt cramped and boring in comparison.

Nabs

Amir0x said:

c/s. sunshine was great.

how the hell are there so many japanophiles that like shitty ass pussy whipped anime and yet NO ONE HAS FUCKING TRANSLATED THIS SHIT YET

usea

Innotech said:
I enjoyed SMS a lot really for what it was, but sorry, Galaxy really just seems to take Mario to a higher level not seen since N64.
I think the point is that sunshine wasn't a lesser game than 64. It was better, but given the amount of time between them the advancements weren't huge enough to avoid disappointing a lot of people. The game was better, but people expected some sort of miracle.

Now people will just be relieved to get anything better than sunshine, so the game can't fail in the eyes of most people around here.

Looks amazing.

Just a small point to make which I think is valid. It doesn't matter how powerful the Wii could have been. Nintendo would still be showing everyone up its what they do.

Top Bottom