• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AntMurda said:
It's EAD No. 5 or something. And it is the exact same team that did Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat. Mr. Koizumi :)
Koizumi worked on Sunshine before the Tokyo studio was formed, Jungle Beat was the first game made there.

dark10x said:
I've never said a shitty game with great graphics is good either. I do believe that a great game with terrible visuals suffers greatly as a result, however. It may still be worth playing, but much of the experience is sacrified. "Raw Danger" is a great example of this. The concept is great and the game itself has many quality elements, but the visuals and performance are SO POOR that it completely detracts from the experience.

Mario 64 vs. the majority of the N64 library backs this up. Game doesn't look that great now but the controls and frame rate hold up to the point that it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheGreatDave said:
Mario 64 vs. the majority of the N64 library backs this up. Game doesn't look that great now but the controls and frame rate hold up to the point that it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay.
Agreed. Only, I still think Mario 64 looks very nice for its age. A lot of later N64 games pushed the system harder but have aged much worse due to poor framerates and art direction.

The N64 was very poor at handling high-resolution textures so the game took advantage of this by painting the landscapes with textures that didn't attempt to create detail. Basically, the landscape often had the appearance of smooth colors rather than attempted detail. The textures that did attempt detail (bricks and tiles, for instance) weren't actually half bad either.

Jirotrom

dark10x said:
I've never said a shitty game with great graphics is good either. I do believe that a great game with terrible visuals suffers greatly as a result, however. It may still be worth playing, but much of the experience is sacrified. "Raw Danger" is a great example of this. The concept is great and the game itself has many quality elements, but the visuals and performance are SO POOR that it completely detracts from the experience.
If visuals bother you that much, you really shouldnt own a wii. I'm playing Grandia right now on a 37 inch LCD screen. This is a PS1 game, great game btw. I like graphical prowess and Galaxy does prove that pretty games can be done on wii, but for me if the gameplay aspect is fun I could careless. It's like when people were crapping on Stranglehold because of "mediocre" graphics, I didn't care as I had a blast with the demo.

AntMurda

It's EAD No. 5 or something. And it is the exact same team that did Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat. Mr. Koizumi :)

Koizumi worked on Sunshine before the Tokyo studio was formed, Jungle Beat was the first game made there.

EAD Tokyo isn't a new development team. It is just an extension. The Mario Sunshine team volunteered to make the move. About 25 staffers according to MOBYGames made the jump over to Tokyo. Then the big N hired some new people from Pixel, SEGA, and DATA East.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
See, this is why I now buy all Nintendo consoles at launch (since the GCN, I missed doing so with the N64, but I did import it before it launched in my city)... they do not drop in price for like... years... and there are always those games (like SMG, like Zelda, etc...) which you simply must save money for if you like video-games... sigh...

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
It's actually....shocking, the difference between Nintendo's games and those of third parties in terms of graphical polish.

All the 3rd parties better not stop being lazy and make the graphics just as beautiful as this game. But they all really need to concentrate on the gameplay, alot of 3rd party games are still meh.

dark10x said:
Agreed. Only, I still think Mario 64 looks very nice for its age. A lot of later N64 games pushed the system harder but have aged much worse due to poor framerates and art direction.

I played it yesterday on VC, it does hold up really well. There's a few select N64 games (often the Nintendo developed ones) that hold up. Typically the ones that focused on having a decent frame rate.

ksamedi

How creative can Nintendo get? It seems like the DS has triggered there creativity switch. This game is the most fresh experience this year, both from a control and game design standpoint. Finally another 3D Mario thats going to make you feel like playing SM64 for the first time.

Jirotrom

ksamedi said:
How creative can Nintendo get? It seems like the DS has triggered there creativity switch. This game is the most fresh experience this year, both from a control and game design standpoint. Finally another 3D Mario thats going to make you feel like playing SM64 for the first time.
more like Super Mario 3 bitches! I am seriously excited to see all the various level designs, I haven't been this way in a long time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AntMurda said:
EAD Tokyo isn't a new development team. It is just an extension. The Mario Sunshine team volunteered to make the move. About 25 staffers according to MOBYGames made the jump over to Tokyo. Then the big N hired some new people from Pixel, SEGA, and DATA East.
I know it's not all new people at the Tokyo studio, not sure where I implied that is it, but not all of the Sunshine team went to the Tokyo studio.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jirotrom said:
If visuals bother you that much, you really shouldnt own a wii. I'm playing Grandia right now on a 37 inch LCD screen. This is a PS1 game, great game btw. I like graphical prowess and Galaxy does prove that pretty games can be done on wii, but for me if the gameplay aspect is fun I could careless. It's like when people were crapping on Stranglehold because of "mediocre" graphics, I didn't care as I had a blast with the demo.
Ha ha, it's funny you say that as I was playing Grandia for Sega Saturn just last night on a 50" plasma! :p

Jirotrom

dark10x said:
Ha ha, it's funny you say that as I was playing Grandia for Sega Saturn just last night on a 50" plasma! :p
So you totally understand, though I'm sure the game looks better on plasma than LCD... you get what I mean right. Yes mario Galaxy is pretty but I thin its pretty amazing when you can look at the art direction and design of a game and know it will be great. Sure the game would be even prettier using PS3 or 360 level detail, but I thinks its possible to have a great game still. I think you may be referring to the blind hardcore fanboys that disregard graphics all together, and I don't believe there are many if any on GAF.

kizmah

Absolutely amazing!

For every vid or screen we get from this game it just seems to me that it has more and more potential to become the greatest game ever made.

traveler

Not Wario
Looks friggen awesome. Love the enviromental diversity, magikoopas (!), and level design. (What little of it I could glean, at least) And is that a battlefield (ala SMB3) level in the third scan?!?!?!?!
Second
best art direction of the year doesn't hurt it either.

:D

Vexidus

WOW! How are the screenshots to this game even more jaw-dropping each time we get them? To think we'll be playing this game relatively soon is surreal!

AntMurda

I know it's not all new people at the Tokyo studio, not sure where I implied that is it, but not all of the Sunshine team went to the Tokyo studio.

About 25 people as mentioned on the original news blurb. The credits seem to support that too.

Jirotrom

traveler said:
Looks friggen awesome. Love the enviromental diversity, magikoopas (!), and level design. (What little of it I could glean, at least) And is that a battlefield (ala SMB3) level in the third scan?!?!?!?!
Second
best art direction of the year doesn't hurt it either.

whats the first?

swerve

Some of Miyamoto’s points from the first two pages (before I got bored of translating what is essentially the stock Miyamoto interview of recent times :) )...

Miyamoto had been knocking around the idea of using gravity for ages, but only with the power of Wii, the programming experience of the last two generations, and the new interface did he feel it was yet possible to do it well.

Mario 128 turned both into Pikmin and Mario Galaxy. With those two, around 80% of the idea behind the Mario 128 demo is now in use. (maybe)

He feels they are managing to break down the walls between veteran gamers and new gamers, because within Super Mario Club (NCL test team)’s temporary staff testers, they often have non-gamers come in with no experience, and within two weeks, they are outperforming the permanent SMC staff.

People talk about ‘core gamers’ but of course these people play casual games, too. Something about maybe core gamers playing everything from heavy games and light games... not sure. Maybe something like “You cannot make a game more fun just by controlling the difficulty.” Don’t quote him on that ;)

It seems like a fairly standard interview. I didn't translate anyone other than Miyamoto just yet. I'm sure there are others who could do a more comprehensive job, much faster, so I'll leave it to them. And wait for the corrections, too ;)

gimz

i wonder how many stars this game has for us to collect?

and if it will be multiplies stars in each planet, or one star for each planet

traveler

Not Wario
Jirotrom said:
whats the first?

bioshock.jpg

Edit: Gimz, I think it's 120 stars (not all needed to beat the game though) and 40 galaxies, so, if you do the math, there will be several stars per level.

swerve

gimz said:
i wonder how many stars this game has for us to collect?

and if it will be multiplies stars in each planet, or one star for each planet

Six stages, each with multiple 'fields', and a total of 120 stars, according to one of the box-outs in the article.

apotema

traveler said:
bioshock.jpg

Edit: Gimz, I think it's 120 stars (not all needed to beat the game though) and 40 galaxies, so, if you do the math, there will be several stars per level.

I hate that "scuba diver"

Jirotrom

traveler said:

hmm... I actually hate the art style of bioshock, the art design is incredible though. They really nail a good feel, but I can't stand how the characters look.

I hereby dub Super Mario Galaxy the Masterpiece of Fun for upcoming games. It looks like they are hitting all the right notes with this one.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
dark10x said:

dark10x.jpg

I'm only singling this out because I truly and utterly have nothing else I could possibly add to this game. It keeps looking more and more amazing.

A friend of mine at work, who is a really jaded gamer, told me this game looked absolute bollocks. Words also fail me with this too.

loosus

Banned
ethelred said:
This is what NiGHTS 2 should look like.
Well, while I do agree that Nights 2 should look considerably better than it currently does, Galaxy does have an advantage is that each environment is extremely small. While other islands may be shown simultaneously, they're so far away that Nintendo can LOD the hell out of the models.

Stuneseht

wouldn't it be funny if other developers started to complain about Nintendo hiding the Wii hidden graphical power, or another Silicon Knights situation:lol

nightside

Stuneseht said:
wouldn't it be funny if other developers started to complain about Nintendo hiding the Wii hidden graphical power, or another Silicon Knights situation:lol

yeah..and i guess miyamoto and his team will send them a free copy of "games developing for dummies"

Xrenity

I think Mario Sunshine's problem was that it got too complicated in a way. They were apparently looking for 'innovative' stuff to put in, and came up with FLUDD.

Now, they go back to simple Mario action, and funny thing, that's what both gamers and non-/casual gamers want. So, with the ever growing installed Wii-base, this will sell a LOT of copies. Simplification isn't always bad.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
nightside said:
yeah..and i guess miyamoto and his team will send them a free copy of "games developing for dummies"

It kinda makes you wonder, does Nintendo give a lot of, or enough aid, to 3rd parties; or do 3rd parties really just not give a shit? Cause looking at SMG and 3rd party games(even most 1st party games) is like the epitome of night and day.

Top Bottom