• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

Just imagine how INSANE the speed run videos of this game will be once gamers get a handle on how this beast will control. Its gonna be amazing.

I know this is gonna be one of those games that I'll keep going back to time and time again. CAN'T WAIT!

aztrex said:
Just imagine how INSANE the speed run videos of this game will be once gamers get a handle on how this beast will control. Its gonna be amazing.

I know this is gonna be one of those games that I'll keep going back to time and time again. CAN'T WAIT!
True. I think it will be pretty difficult to figure out the best way to speedrun this game, since there seem to be soooo many possible routes you can do.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Going to sound like a broken record but god this game looks delicious. It's as if every new scan/video of this game seems to just heighten that already tower-scope love I have for it.

rezuth

dark10x said:
Can we have some Nintendo fans finally admit that, yes, graphics DO matter? Certainly not THE primary factor, but fantastic visuals mixed with a great game is something anyone should love.
You see it the wrong way. Graphics are not the most realistic head on a space marine. Graphics is the art style and direction of a game. Some of them can be fantastic such as this but I don't belive that adding freckles or indivual hair on Mario would make it a better game.

AntMurda

Actually there were some rumors that the EAD group that's doing Mario Galaxy has been re-writing the Wii SDK in the process of developing MG. Would be great, if true.

How so? I think the library development group already did some big work on their textures. Compare the grass in Wii Sports Golf (new EAD Library Development Wii) to grass textures in Zelda (old EAD Library Development GC). It already makes a huge difference.

Then you have a much higher poly world and some really amazing designs for the worlds!!!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Shaheed79 said:
I personally felt it was cost savings that ruined Sunshine. Some of the levels look thrown together and there aren't nearly enough of them.

It was rushed because it had to be out in the summer and there was a lot of pressure to release a Mario game to improve sales of the Gamecube at that time. What it really needed was a delay.

EktorPR

Wowowowowowow!!! Great variety in stages and enemies, one sweet ass visual style. This game is going to be huge. :D

EktorPR

Nothing. Considering the gigantic Halo fanbase that he's going at alone, he should've remained silent about his hatred towards the franchise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rezuth said:
You see it the wrong way. Graphics are not the most realistic head on a space marine. Graphics is the art style and direction of a game. Some of them can be fantastic such as this but I don't belive that adding freckles or indivual hair on Mario would make it a better game.
Who said anything about that?

You can maintain a cartoon appearance while raising the technical requirements through the roof. We're still a LONG WAY from matching a Pixar film in realtime, for instance...

wsippel

Banned
AntMurda said:
How so? I think the library development group already did some big work on their textures. Compare the grass in Wii Sports Golf (new EAD Library Development Wii) to grass textures in Zelda (old EAD Library Development GC). It already makes a huge difference.
Well, someone from either Nintendo or HAL announced some new graphics middleware/ tools at GDC this year. Looks like Mario Galaxy is the first game to use at least one of the announced tools, the new fur-shading API.

Okay, those screenshots are WIN! I will definitely be reserving the game now, it just looks so awesome. Can't wait :D - 3 months and 3 days to go (give or take a day or so)

~Scott

Vagabundo

dark10x said:
Can we have some Nintendo fans finally admit that, yes, art DO matter? Certainly not THE primary factor, but fantastic art mixed with a great game is something anyone should love.

More art, less on "graphics", although Galaxy certain seems to be pushing the Wii technically far more than anyone else.

But the design of this game, the sheer bogomips of imagination poured into every screenshot, is what makes me say WOW....

YES YES YES YES YES!

VARIETY!

That was my main problem with Sunshine, I loved the gameplay just got sick of beach levels... omg this looks amazing.

Jungle Beat team I love you! <3

How the heck can I contain my excitement, soooooo much goodness I can stick in my Wii coming this year alone. <3

EktorPR

And to think that they were the same team that made Mario Sunshine...they surely have learned from their mistakes.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
dark10x said:
Can we have some Nintendo fans finally admit that, yes, graphics DO matter? Certainly not THE primary factor, but fantastic visuals mixed with a great game is something anyone should love.

Graphics as in art has always mattered

Graphics as in polygons, textures resolution, ... not so much after the PSone/N64 era

Shaheed79 said:
Can someone please explain to me how come Nintendo can make a worthy 3D mario game all of a sudden after 11 years especially coming off of Sunshine? Did they purposely make Sunshine average if they were capable of this all along?

Oh, Galaxy is better than sunshine, I see. How many hours did you play Galaxy, exactly?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I want a Wii solely for this game. :(
And FE but mostly this. EAD Tokyo > IntSys

Olivier said:
PLEASE be good.
Are we talking about the same game?

Davidion

dark10x said:

While I do agree that graphics isn't some insignificant element of any particular game, in this case the game's art direction and execution completely trumps any graphical horsepower or special effects.

When I played the game, I was infinitely more charmed by its presentation and design. Hell, the fucking thing had jaggies showing up left and right and would fail the pseudo-videophile-gamer critique test in a quick second.

Bump mapping? Didn't mean shit. Draw distance? You wouldn't even notice. The game stands on its own regardless. I thought the game was, in terms of gaming enjoyment, more engaging than Wii Fit, Metroid Prime, and Zelda PH, all of which I played at a single session.

dark10x said:

Why do you have to bring this up in every single SMG thread ?

Holy Hellghast...

This game is going to be extremely....just extreme.

The Boo Mario is genius, with his white moustache and nose

Davidion

Holy Order Sol said:
Why do you have to bring this up in every single SMG thread ?

Does anyone even need to explain it anymore? :lol His comment is completely irrelevant in the scope of this game.

KnuckaWut

WOW! cant wait to play this :D

mario.gif

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Everytime I think I'm bored of gaming something like this comes along and makes me all giddy again

That shot of the pirate ship (?) with all the cannons gets me all nostalgic for the SMB3 airship battles. I love Sunshine, but Galaxy has more charm in scans than SMS has in its entirety.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Every time I see this game it just hammers home the lack of effort 3rd parties (Bar a few exceptions) are putting into Wii graphically, SMG looks stunning, nothing short of exceptional, I want this game, NOW!

Also, this game (From the scans) seems to pay homage to nearly every SM game before it, so awesome.

Epiphyte

EktorPR said:
And to think that they were the same team that made Mario Sunshine...they surely have learned from their mistakes.
It's not the same team

Galaxy is being done by EAD Tokyo, the Jungle Beat guys.

dark10x

Davidion said:
I'd say console advocacy. :lol ...as his comment is completely irrelevant in the scope of this game.
How so?

It's an honest to god great looking Wii game and the first thing most comment are its visuals. You'll often find Wii fans claiming that visuals don't matter while I've always maintained that it is the entire package that matters most. When something on the Wii shows up with quality visuals (and this most certainly meets that criteria) everyone praises that aspect. If it truly didn't matter to them, why would they even comment on it? That's all.

I'm saying absolutely nothing negative about Mario. It looks incredible and sounds like it will be a truly fantastic game. I can't wait. I detest Nintendo for what they are doing to the industry, but I LOVE Mario. The Mario platformers remain some of my favorite games of all time and it's one series I could never ever ignore.

OnWarmerMusic said:
That shot of the pirate ship (?) with all the cannons gets me all nostalgic for the SMB3 airship battles. I love Sunshine, but Galaxy has more charm in scans than SMS has in its entirety.

So true... and I'm not even a sms hater.

I feel like it's tim for media blackout... but I keep getting drawn back.

AntMurda

It's not the same team

Galaxy is being done by EAD Tokyo, the Jungle Beat guys.

It's EAD No. 5 or something. And it is the exact same team that did Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat. Mr. Koizumi :)

Olivier

jj984jj said:
Are we talking about the same game?

Of course we are. But the hype around Galaxy is insane and I'm afraid I might be disappointed (especially after Sunshine), even if the impressions so far are highly positive.

Olivier said:
Of course we are. But the hype around Galaxy is insane and I'm afraid I might be disappointed (especially after Sunshine), even if the impressions so far are highly positive.

Take that shit outta here. Honestly, Sunshine wasn't what we all hoped it was, but it was a goddamn fucking great game in its own right and you know it. Come on man! You couldn't have been THAT disappointed with Sunshine. There is so much in that game to love.

Jirotrom

dark10x said:
How so?

It's an honest to god great looking Wii game and the first thing most comment are its visuals. You'll often find Wii fans claiming that visuals don't matter while I've always maintained that it is the entire package that matters most. When something on the Wii shows up with quality visuals (and this most certainly meets that criteria) everyone praises that aspect. If it truly didn't matter to them, why would they even comment on it? That's all.

I'm saying absolutely nothing negative about Mario. It looks incredible and sounds like it will be a truly fantastic game. I can't wait. I detest Nintendo for what they are doing to the industry, but I LOVE Mario. The Mario platformers remain some of my favorite games of all time and it's one series I could never ever ignore.
In all honesty I'm abit more amazed with the "design" more than anything. Graphics are great and everything but I own a PC and 360 for that. The imagination in the level design looks astounding and thats why I'm hyped. I assume thats what most people see, making the game pretty was just the icing on the cake. I mean you keep making the "obvious" point that a great game with great graphics is good, but that doesnt mean a shitty game with great graphics is good.

Davidion

dark10x said:
How so?

I'll retract the statement about console advocacy. However, while the graphic aspects are downplayed on wii games, there's a big difference between saying that graphics matter less and that it doesn't matter at all. Sure, there are a couple of hardcore wii nerds that will completely and utterly discount any significance of graphics whatsoever, I think you'll find that most fans of the console simply don't regard that aspect of gaming as important as a 360/ps3/PC fan necessarily.

Also, read my comments about my experience with the game; at the end of the day it'll be the art direction and the game's execution that defines the game and captures the audience, not the graphical horsepower. Mark my words.

Since you're a Mario fan, let me offer my congratulations; I think you'll love the game.

I completely disagree on the whole Nintendo/industry comment, but that's a conversation for another time and another thread.

dark10x

Jirotrom said:
In all honesty I'm abit more amazed with the "design" more than anything. Graphics are great and everything but I own a PC and 360 for that. The imagination in the level design looks astounding and thats why I'm hyped. I assume thats what most people see, making the game pretty was just the icing on the cake. I mean you keep making the "obvious" point that a great game with great graphics is good, but that doesnt mean a shitty game with great graphics is good.
I've never said a shitty game with great graphics is good either. I do believe that a great game with terrible visuals suffers greatly as a result, however. It may still be worth playing, but much of the experience is sacrified. "Raw Danger" is a great example of this. The concept is great and the game itself has many quality elements, but the visuals and performance are SO POOR that it completely detracts from the experience.

Top Bottom