• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans (AUG 9)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The art style is perfect for the Wii. Very impressed with the overall aesthetic, and, perhaps more importantly, the consistency they have going for them.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I swear the 2nd scan, in the picture of the clock level, it looks like a remake of Tick Tock Clock. I swear that exact same cog and swinging pendulum layout was in Tick Tock Clock in Mario 64.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can we have some Nintendo fans finally admit that, yes, graphics DO matter? Certainly not THE primary factor, but fantastic visuals mixed with a great game is something anyone should love.

Shaheed79 said:
I personally felt it was cost savings that ruined Sunshine. Some of the levels look thrown together and there aren't nearly enough of them. I hardly see it as a true sequel to the franchise. Maybe they were shamed by it and sought to correct their mistake by catching lightning and magic in a bottle.

I actually bought the Game Cube specifically because I watched a buddy play Mario Sunshine. I absolutely loved every minute of that game. The 3D platforming areas (sans watergun) were brilliant... Galaxy appears to be focusing on the aspects of those areas.

I wonder how many people felt compelled to hate it based on the opinions of others (which I was not exposed to until after I beat the game)?

Fabiollo

Mango Positive said:
I actually bought the Game Cube specifically because I watched a buddy play Mario Sunshine. I absolutely loved every minute of that game. The 3D platforming areas (sans watergun) were brilliant... Galaxy appears to be focusing on the aspects of those areas.

I wonder how many people felt compelled to hate it based on the opinions of others (which I was not exposed to until after I beat the game)?

I loved Mario Sunshine. One of the best games of the last generation.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mango Positive said:

Was the water pack really that bad? I really enjoyed the play mechanics of the game even with the pack. All of the games weaknesses (for me) stem entirely from poor level design for some of the stages.

Everything else about the game was great.

NeonZ

Shaheed79 said:
I personally felt it was cost savings that ruined Sunshine. Some of the levels look thrown together and there aren't nearly enough of them. I hardly see it as a true sequel to the franchise. Maybe they were shamed by it and sought to correct their mistake by catching lightning and magic in a bottle.

I disagree. As previously mentioned, I just think they've really considered the critics done to Sunshine. Even though it was rushed, and the blue coins show that, the negative reception wasn't only due to its length. They tried to create a single setting and design the game all around it, but got a mostly negative reception due to that, so they've gone in a opposite direction, with the surreal landscapes without any congruent theme between them.

ever since mario64 the series has been missing its psychedelic flair. I think this really will be a return to form, of like, mario 3 proportions

dark10x said:
Can we have some Nintendo fans finally admit that, yes, graphics DO matter? Certainly not THE primary factor, but fantastic visuals mixed with a great game is something anyone should love.
They do matter. Just not as much as some people seem to think ;)

omg.jpg

Oh man this game looks more amazing with every new reveal! I can't wait! :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:

er, the better a great game looks, the better it is. Sure.

Lucky Nintendo seems to have a knack for making their hardware sing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dark10x said:

Don't start bro. You know how this works...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Mango Positive said:

I beat it twice and even did the stupid blue coin challenge and it seems everyones favorite parts were the block levels. Even if you thought the game was great it only had seven levels. SEVEN! In a MARIO GAME! The game was gimped with budget and time constraints.

AntMurda

It's not a Miyamoto Interview! It's a Shimizu-Koizumi-Miyamoto Interview. The true Mario director (Koizumi) and producer (Shimizu!!)

KOIZUMI IS TAKING OVER AONUMA!! YOU FEEL IT??

Borys

Banned
The only things bad about SMS were the last level in the volcano with the boat, Delfino Plaza which was the main area of the entire game and that Spooky Hotel level.

Everything else was pure sex: from the docks level, through the funfair level to the Pinata (spelling) village level.

Oh, and NOKII BAY.

Absolutelty amazing graphics.

Lee N said:
Filtered? Smartblur?

I figured it was something like that, didn't feel like digging for confirmation though.
Will you do me a favor and do the Miyamoto interviews next? :D

edit: I mean the Shimizu-Koizumi-Miyamoto interview.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
NeonZ said:
I disagree. As previously mentioned, I just think they've really considered the critics done to Sunshine. Even though it was rushed, and the blue coins show that, the negative reception wasn't only due to its length. They tried to create a single setting and design the game all around it, but got a mostly negative reception due to that, so they've gone in a opposite direction, with the surreal landscapes without any congruent theme between them.
No, we agree then. There were many factors to the lack of Sunshine living up to expectations. I'm just glad Nintendo finally got their sh*t together with their flag franchise.

Lee N

Membre
titiklabingapat said:
Will you do me a favor and do the Miyamoto interviews next? :D

edit: I mean the Shimizu-Koizumi-Miyamoto interview.
I would.. but my japanese is not nearly good enough to translate all that I'm afraid. Ask me again in <arbitrary number> years.

yilmazz

It's simply great visually. I don't exactly know how engines and shaders etc. work, but I hope Nintendo can and will give some information or tools to other developers so that their games will at least look like they're trying.

Scribble

Do you know what would be the icing on the cake?

If they included the Koopalings (Iggy, Lemmy, Morton, etc) as bosses. Now, that would be AWESOME.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Blimblim said:
Just a quite experimental filtering software I found. I think it works wonders with good quality scans.

Care to share? :D

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
yilmazz said:
It's simply great visually. I don't exactly know how engines and shaders etc. work, but I hope Nintendo can and will give some information or tools to other developers so that their games will at least look like they're trying.

Actually there were some rumors that the EAD group that's doing Mario Galaxy has been re-writing the Wii SDK in the process of developing MG. Would be great, if true. :D

kottila said:
Translation pls?

Miyamoto needs to be casted in a Kung Fu film with Jackie Chan.

Forget that, he needs to do a cooperative game/movie project with Miyazaki! :D

turk128

Wow, gorgeous looking art.

Lookit there, donut world... and it looks like it's in a food themed cluster of planetoids! And the screenshot right on top of the clockworks one, are those giant beanpods?! Composition of the pumpkin shot is excellent.

Looks fantastic!

This is what I've been waiting for, a true sequel to Super Mario 64. OMG, yes! Yes! If it does turn out to be that good, I'll forgive Nintendo for such a shitty E3 conference and lack of real games.

BTW, I noticed Famitsu uses a lot of exclamation points!!!!

Top Bottom