• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Peterc

Hopefully there are still quite a few kingdoms not yet shown in the game. It feels like we have seen footage of a lot of kingdoms already, would be a shame if there aren't many surprises in the full game left :(

Didn't they said in the direct there are many more, but they will not show it to still have some suprises??

It seems more people hasn't got that message, or i'm getting crazy and it wasn't said in the direct.

doop_

Banned
We got our first look at the power plant in New Donk City, this means there might be other sub-levels in each kingdom as well.

BigEmil

Didn't they said in the direct there are many more, but they will not show it to still have some suprises??

It seems more people hasn't got that message, or i'm getting crazy and it wasn't said in the direct.
Yep they said there are more kingdoms they didn't want to spoil too much

sanstesy

I bet that there are double the kingdoms we've seen. No way they would show more than half before the release.

There won't be over 20 kingdoms. They showed basically all main worlds of 3D World right before release and only kept the post-game a secret.

yeah they said that and its good that they're self aware about not wanting to spoil too much

Peterc

As crazy as your post is, I don't get why Nintendo doesn't just think up some different stories for Mario.

First I think Game experience and Gameplay is more important than story (but also depends what your focus mostly are in games).
I don't love scenes in games, I even hate it when i can't skip it, just because i personal want to exp. it when playing. For deep stories, i'll prefer to watch movies instead.

Second, I don't like spin-off stories, Bowser is the boss. They could get another story, it isn't diffecult, but it wouldnt be a real mario game anymore.

Same for zelda, i always want Ganon as boss, most movies also work like that.

Other games:
Castlevania -> dracula
Metroid -> mother brain.

For example, i don't want a terminator movie to remove Arnold bots and replace it with transformer, thats what you ask.

This mario has a whole different story, only the purpose by saving someone has been the same (so far we know).

roytheone

It's super exciting to think about how this game has a pretty different gameplay loop compared to other Mario games. Sure it is close to 64 and sunshine, but while there you tend to pick a star and go for it, here you really are just let loose upon the world's and you have to run all around finding moons everywhere. Sounds different and great!

Primate_Ryan

Neo Member
I thought I wanted another linear Mario, but I was wrong. I need this! It's amazing how Nintendo keeps exceeding expectations. Like many others I always wondered if there was any direction that they could take Mario in after the excellent Galaxy games. I never expected this to be the answer. The creativity on display is awe-inspiring.

This game might also circumvent one of my major problems with Mario (Galaxy 2, World): that you need to work through the whole game before you get to the more challenging (post-game) content. Many other platformers have something to offer experienced players way before that. Take for example the dark world in Super Meat Boy with more challenging versions of levels or the optional unlockable level in each world in games like Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World.

I'm not sure that there will be challenging optional content early on (haven't seen much on that topic?), but it is at least more likely to be there than in a linear Mario.

If there isn't, the game looks to be so joyful that it will be at least be fun to just play around in the worlds, experimenting with all the possibilities and transformations.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Final level needs to be the wedding itself. Once you reach the end, Mario speaks up before the ceremony is concluded and objects to the union. This, of course, pisses off Bowser and leads into the final battle.

I'm now going to be disappointed if this isn't how it happens lol.

There won't be over 20 kingdoms. They showed basically all main worlds of 3D World right before release and only kept the post-game a secret.

I don't think we are getting 20, but I also don't doubt there's a couple more than we saw so far (mostly because they have a kingdom with yellow moons and a kingdom with gold ones, and I don't think they'd double dip on the color well unless they really needed more colors)

I'm going for 14/15 main ones in the main game, I think.

pswii60

Honestly this game looks so insanely good, I don't think anyone could possibly have imagined a Mario game like this even last year.

As with BotW, it leads me to wonder what the fuck Nintendo has been doing for the past decade focusing on smaller lower budget titles. Wii seriously took them off course, but they've now caught up, and then some.

Really hope the new Yoshi and Kirby games are the exceptions, and we'll see franchises like Donkey Kong getting the big budget treatment too.

E-Cat

This just made me realize how much I love Mario Sunshine's vibrant hues w/ the deep contrast (Sirena Beach was gorgeous). This just looks a little bland and pastel colored to me. But I guess that's what Nintendo is into these days and I'm just old.

Astral Dog

Honestly this game looks so insanely good, I don't think anyone could possibly have imagined a Mario game like this even last year.

As with BotW, it leads me to wonder what the fuck Nintendo has been doing for the past decade focusing on smaller lower budget titles. Wii seriously took them off course, but they've now caught up, and then some.

Really hope the new Yoshi and Kirby games are the exceptions, and we'll see franchises like Donkey Kong getting the big budget treatment too.
Not after Tropical Freeze sales, and i love the new Kirby gamrs

I used to think the best video game ever made was Rambo for the NES but I think this game has a very good chance of finally surpassing it

I agree and disagree. Between what we know they have coming (Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid Prime, Pikmin) and what it's reasonable to expect (Smash Bros., Animal Crossing) I think the stage is set for a really solid field over the next two years.

Solid? Sure. Topping this year? Not so much. :D
Or perhaps it's just that I don't care that much for Fire Emblem, Pokemon or Animal Crossing, and I'm skeptic that a Pikmin 4 won't be retreading a lot of old ground. Put me down for Smash, of course; hopefully them taking so long to announce it means they're making more than a port with a few extra fighters.

The amount of moons in this game is going to be absurd. There's over 50 in the sand kingdom alone. A lot of them look like they'll take less time to get than a standard 3D Mario level but there's possibly over 500 moons to collect.

The amount of moons in this game is going to be absurd. There's over 50 in the sand kingdom alone. A lot of them look like they'll take less time to get than a standard 3D Mario level but there's possibly over 500 moons to collect.

It looks like there are 69 in the Sand Kingdom. Nice
XaRHGVz.png

It's been a long time since just the mere footage of a game makes me consider it GOAT worthy. This game hits all the right beats and is jam packed with so much Mario goodness.

I'm actually okay with overhyping the hell out of myself for this. I know it'll exceed expectations even if I set the bar on the moon.

Just imagine if getting each one kicked you out of the level.

Dammit, I'd love a remake of Mario 64 where the level just keeps evolving as you get stars, without needing to boot you back to the castle.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mario vs Zelda

Jesus, I used to think it would be a clear Zelda win, but now I am not so sure

At this point I'm already 90% sure that Mario's going to win this time. I loved Zelda, but it has continued to dip in my goty ranking as time goes on. There's already 3 games that came out this year I'd put ahead of it.

RPGCrazied

Not the biggest Mario fan, but this looks fun. And it will be the first switch game I play on the switch. Getting that Odyssey bundle.

Neiteio

I think Zelda will still have the edge because it pretty much reinvented the series while also recapturing its magic, and did so with a world so vast and so detailed that it continues to surprise me 250 hours in

Kandinsky

I didn't even realize the ship had a hat shape lol, thanks for that Koizumi!.

And man the most hype thing for me was at the end when he said "and all other amiibo are supported!". If it's outfits from them I might die at Marth Mario and Shulk Mario, or Cap or Samus or Link o_O

Edit: Pit :O

Neiteio

I didn't even realize the ship had a hat shape lol, thanks for that Koizumi!.

And man the most hype thing for me was at the end when he said "and all other amiibo are supported!". If it's outfits from them I might die at Marth Mario and Shulk Mario, or Cap or Samus or Link o_O
I think the "all other amiibo are supported" refers to how you can use them on Uncle Amiibo to locate power moons in the game

What I don't get is the description for the Odyssey amiibo. It says the Peach amiibo gives you her wedding dress, and the Bowser amiibo gives you his suit. But what does this mean? They're already wearing those outfits regardless of whether you use an amiibo.

Does this mean Mario will be able to wear a dress?

_Malus_

Neo Member
Damn, this looks so unbelievably good!
I now regret seeing the direct footage now though, since they showed off quite a lot of the game but I hope there will be still many surprises.

Has there been any confirmation yet on whether there will be linear bowser stages (like in SM64/Galaxy) between the kingdoms? I really wish for them to return in Odyssey. :)

Top Bottom