• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Fuchs

Ahh, shit. Okay. I do remember this. The lower body definitely looks like a Boo's body. Makes you wonder if Cappy "died" against Bowser while trying to protect Tiara. If so, will completing the game bring him back?

???

So is his real body the white top-hat Bowser is wearing in the trailers? 🤔

Ahh, shit. Okay. I do remember this. The lower body definitely looks like a Boo's body. Makes you wonder if Cappy "died" against Bowser while trying to protect Tiara. If so, will completing the game bring him back?

???

It looks like Cappy's land is some kind of afterlife for hats. Never thought I'd type "afterlife for hats".

You can see Mario's original cap all beaten and torn up there in the direct footage.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
BotW is my favorite game ever and this has a realistic chance of overtaking it. Utterly ridiculous Nintendo is dropping 2 of the best games ever in the first 7 months of launch.

Same story same plot for the 500th time

But it won't affect reviews, guess they can get away with it
The-Edge-u2.jpg

Anyone know when we will be able to order digital version from the eshop and how much it's likely to cost? In UK

You're better off going physical in the UK. Digital prices are horrendously expensive. Odyssey will likely be £60 if its priced the same as Zelda. You'll save £10-£20 if you buy the physical version on Amazon.

Neiteio

What form do you think Cappy takes when Mario wears the Ice Climber-style snow suit? Does the hood somehow detach?

Also, I'm curious to see if there are people indigenous to the Cascade, Snow and Seaside kingdoms.

What form do you think Cappy takes when Mario wears the Ice Climber-style snow suit? Does the hood somehow detach?

Also, I'm curious to see if there are people indigenous to the Cascade, Snow and Seaside kingdoms.

The Snow kingdom peeps might be the things we're seen racing near the end of the trailer (after you've presumably made the skies clear)? No ideas for Cascade and Seaside, though (but I'd be okay if seaside was all dogs <3)

spad3

Cappy and Mario might actually get separated during this part of the story and you're supposed to find him to be able to use him again. It'd be cool to see Cappy turn into a Russian Winter Hat for Mario

Neiteio

There's also the heavyset Broodal with the gold Chain Chomp. Previously we thought there were only four Broodals; now we know there are at least five. Since the Cascade Kingdom appears to be World 2 on the world map (after Cap Kingdom and before Sand Kingdom), I wonder if the heavyset Broodal there is like the mother and head of the family, and thus the boss of the evil wedding planning firm. And then the kids are introduced in the ship scene in the Sand Kingdom, at which point you fight Harriet.

I still can't get over how impressive a pun Broodals is.

It's a play on Bridal
It's a play on Brutal
It's a play on Brood

Most of my best puns are two layered, at best. Nintendo upped their pun game.

The bundles don't save you any money. In fact, you're better off using a Best Buy or Amazon discount and buying the bundled game physically.

Even cheaper would be to buy the Mario Odyssey bundle via Target with a Red card. If you want the red Joy Con and the carrying case that is. You'll save 5% off the retail price.

Otherwise, it's even cheaper to buy a standard console at Target and buy the physical game via Amazon/Best Buy discount. Best Buy is the better value if you already have it, as Mario is one of their "Get a $10 reward for pre-ordering" games. So that's more money saved.

Neiteio

Where are the screenshots or art for her???
She looked awesome.
Yeah, I really like her design as well. Seems like a pretty complex character model. Just the face alone looks rather complex. Great color scheme, too &#8212; really dig the gold line running through the turquoise blue hair. Her pearl necklace has a grand moon, so she's clearly a major boss. I wonder if you fight her by capturing her chomp and snapping it back at her (as we've seen Mario do with a regular chomp to break a wall). I also wonder what wedding-related item the Broodals are looking for in the Cascade Kingdom?

Also, note the fashion similarity between this Broodal and Pauline. NPCs back in New Donk City did mention that many people try to ape Pauline's style...

smo_shot_-_gold_chomprfs56.png

Yeah, I really like her design as well. Seems like a pretty complex character model. Just the face alone looks rather complex. Great color scheme, too — really dig the gold line running through the turquoise blue hair. Her pearl necklace has a grand moon, so she's clearly a major boss. I wonder if you fight her by capturing her chomp and snapping it back at her (as we've seen Mario do with a regular chomp to break a wall). I also wonder what wedding-related item the Broodals are looking for in the Cascade Kingdom?

Also, note the fashion similarity between this Broodal and Pauline. NPCs back in New Donk City did mention that many people try to ape Pauline's style...

smo_shot_-_gold_chomprfs56.png

That's a beautifully textured chain chomp.

Blue-kun

It's insane we get multiple GOAT tier games in a fucking single year and in a console launch year even.

Well, I guess, but then we must always remember the poor souls who owned a Wii U and saw the console get no games near the end because Nintendo has shifted focus completely. It'd be pretty poor showing if the Switch's launch somehow managed to not really deliver at least on the 1st party front for them.

Anyway, previous trailers I'd been sort of not sold on the game yet, but I think the new one finally clicked. Very impressed by the photo mode, in particular. Could see myself having a ton of fun with that, and it seems really robust with tons and tons of options. The new 'beach world' there also looks veeeery nice.

Well, I guess, but then we must always remember the poor souls who owned a Wii U and saw the console get no games near the end because Nintendo has shifted focus completely. It'd be pretty poor showing if the Switch's launch somehow managed to not really deliver at least on the 1st party front for them.

It was even worse if you were a Wii owner during the transition to Wii U.

2011 was already extremely disappointing, but then it was followed by a mostly barren 2012 and easily the worst first year a Nintendo system has ever had in 2013. 2014 and 2015 were better in the sense that they were driven by exciting games (Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4) and new IP (Splatoon), but those years were also pretty dry.

2017 has shown us that Nintendo never had any excuses about failing to deliver games in a console's first year.

Cappy is the ghost of a deceased Broodal, right? Surely this is the case... the eyes, the 4 legs, the out-of-a-hat thing... his siblings must have murdered him in cold blood, and, being the only non-evil member of his family - he has returned to help Mario in a quest for vengeance.

I'm hoping for 15 kingdoms in total to match SM64 but this is pretty good and looks like it could be accurate. Would mean there are 11 kingdoms (possibly 12, if the Moon is one). Which would be pretty good.

Yeah I think they can fit in plenty of concepts with 12, with the larger areas they don't really need multiple snow levels or a level designed around one building.

etrain911

I am officially on media blackout. Nintendo has completely convinced me to buy this game and I love that the amiibo content isn't being used to gate content.

HyGogg

Banned
Complaining about the story in a Mario game is like complaining about the story in a shmup or fighting game.
Maybe even moreso. Mario games don't really even have stories so much as "premises"

I'm not AS blown away by this as most people. I really liked the roll Nintendo was on with Galaxy and 3D Land/World, but it is time for a change (Nintendo doesn't seem to like repeating themselves too much with mainline Mario and Zelda games).

I'm willing to give the large open level thing another shot (been a long time since Sunshine), but the mis-matched visual styles of the different worlds rub me the wrong way. Nintendo has done a great job of giving Mario games a distinctive and cohesive "look" in recent years, and this just sort of looks like a mess.

That said, it's still a definite buy.

Cappy is the ghost of a deceased Broodal, right? Surely this is the case... the eyes, the 4 legs, the out-of-a-hat thing... his siblings must have murdered him in cold blood, and, being the only non-evil member of his family - he has returned to help Mario in a quest for vengeance.
Punished Cappy.

He doesn't have 4 legs.

Top Bottom