• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

I'm gonna just believe that's a fun throwback on the world map, not somewhere we can actually travel. For sanity's sake.

So hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna just believe that's a fun throwback on the world map, not somewhere we can actually travel. For sanity's sake.

We already know that Peach's Castle is in the game as a level, and it's presumably represented by the Mushroom shaped landmass on the map...that just happens to be located right by Isle Delfino. Nintendo's penning this game as a sucessor to both 64 and Sunshine so I can see there being two throwback levels as tributes to both games.

We already know that Peach's Castle is in the game as a level, and it's presumably represented by the Mushroom shaped landmass on the map...that just happens to be located right by Isle Delfino. Nintendo's penning this game as a sucessor to both 64 and Sunshine so I can see there being two throwback levels as tributes to both games.

I'd love to succumb to the same hope as you guys but I'm trying to not go insane waiting for October 27th thank you very much!

I really would not be surprised to see throwback levels like that but I'm trying (and failing) to keep my expectations in check

New ad in Japan https://twitter.com/jordan_amano/status/911210097467998208

It shows (new location spoiler)
isle delfino!!

DJo7JfIXcAUxgiI.jpg

KiN0

I don't tbh, the demo was only about 10 - 15 mins, so not really enough time to fully explore or complete a full world, as they are pretty big and the guys running the demo were not talking about that stuff, other than helping people get to grips with the controls.

One of the guys did say the outfits in different worlds will change how some characters react to Mario, like the suit in the desert world, can change npc reactions in New Donk City but he didn't go into details on that but my guess, it will probably lead to finding hidden Moons.

Aw, that's too bad. Thanks for responding anyway. Interesting about the outfits, we already know some moons can only be found when you're wearing a certain outfit, but it's cool that npcs will notice too.

Peltz

No, but I'll post some examples of Odyssey looking, in my view, terrible. Certain shots do look a bit better, sure, the ice world looked okay. But those are the minority.

Many of these shots don't even feel like something designed or implemented in this decade. They're just so bland. There are so few examples of any kind of real artistic flare or, like, richness to anything. It's just stuff barfed everywhere. Stuff.
Hmmm... I don't agree. PartIculary with regard to the first screenshot.

That looks like a beautifully cohesive MARIO level that (other than the camera's perspective) wouldn't look out of place in 3D World.

orioto

Good Art™
My theory is that things look kinda anarchic and messy in those levels, which makes some of them look empty, cause o the way the game was designed. It's basically a level designer kingdom here. The more you'll let freedom to level designers, the less you'll have control on how good things look.

The game is a giant sandbox with ideas everywhere, so it probably feels a little disorganized sometimes.

And i agree with that. When i look at the desert level in its whole, i'm like.. What the fuck is this ? Things left and right, doesn't feel like a landscape or anything. But i think that's the way things were done.

Neiteio

I think the levels look better the more you understand their concept.

Take the Sand Kingdom, for example. At first glance it might seem like a random assembly of ideas, but watch anyone play it at length and there's a nice progression from the touristy Day of the Dead-inspired town at the start, to the ancient Egyptian ruins inhabited by Easter Island heads, and the ice caves that lie under the sands. Tostarena lies in the middle of a desert overlooking a canyon, but there's also an oasis nearby, which makes sense since towns generally form around water. Not that you need such logic in a Mario game, mind you, but it's an example of how these sandboxes are thematically strong and thoughtfully designed.

Neiteio

Feels kinda surreal knowing the topography of the planet where the Mushroom Kingdom and Isle Delfino have existed all these years...

To be fair,
galaxy two had throwback galaxy and an isle delfino styled level.
, so it wouldn't even be a first.

Neiteio

I'm thinking we might get
Peach's Castle for the Mushroom Kingdom (so adventures in and around the castle/grounds) and Delfino Plaza for Isle Delfino — the latter has enough geometry to easily be its own sandbox even if they just lifted it straight from Sunshine.

Neiteio

just because something is on a map does not mean you can go there guys.

Even Zelda: Breath of the Wild had limits
Here's the thing:

We've seen a painting of the Mushroom Kingdom that you can jump inside. We already know from previews that jumping into paintings warps you to otherwise inaccessible parts of kingdoms you can visit. Since they bothered to put Mushroom Kingdom on the map, and Mushroom Kingdom appears to be a playable kingdom since there's a painting leading to it, it might also be possible that Isle Delfino is the same.

But yes, it's true, no one here knows for sure.

Here's the thing:

We've seen a painting of the Mushroom Kingdom that you can jump inside. We already know from previews that jumping into paintings warps you to otherwise inaccessible parts of kingdoms you can visit. Since they bothered to put Mushroom Kingdom on the map, and Mushroom Kingdom appears to be a playable kingdom since there's a painting leading to it, it might also be possible that Isle Delfino is the same.

But yes, it's true, no one here knows for sure.

We are far from knowing
how many of those paintings are in the game and how detailed the areas will be when you get to the other side

as for the globe and map it makes total sense for them to have every location that Mario ever visited in past games it makes the world (Universe) more real having all his journeys represented in some way. But can you go there and revisit all of those places is a lot to ask for in a single game.

I feel if they are not going to detail those areas fully it is going to feel half baked to go there and can't access half of that stuff

it reminds me of Wind Waker and Hyrule Field, you can see it but not access it, nice Easter egg but if you wanted more it was pretty brutal to see something you can really interact with

RagnarokX

Whipped up a labelled version of that new map: https://i.imgur.com/2INP0Ws.jpg

Also, seeing the globe in this projection and orientation, I think I see the theme for another unrevealed kingdom:
The easternmost continent is shaped like a bat wing. I suspect that will be the more traditional spooky world since Cap Kingdom really doesn't look to suit that role.

I mean, if they're just putting things on the map as a quick reference to past games and nothing more, where's Dinosaur World/Yoshi's Island from SMW? Where's DK Island? Where's Sarasaland?

I mean, if they're just putting things on the map as a quick reference to past games and nothing more, where's Dinosaur World/Yoshi's Island from SMW? Where's DK Island? Where's Sarasaland?

You havent see the other side of the globe yet. Are you one of the Flat Earth Truthers? Jesus christ yall coming out the woodwork. Gotdamn Kyrie Irving got yall more vocal than chris rock with a megaphone

I'm thinking we might get
Peach's Castle for the Mushroom Kingdom (so adventures in and around the castle/grounds) and Delfino Plaza for Isle Delfino — the latter has enough geometry to easily be its own sandbox even if they just lifted it straight from Sunshine.
Delfino Plaza + Rico Harbor might work since they're somewhat close together, and would be more comparably sized to the other kingdoms. The way you could see at least one other location from each area in that game was so cool. Man, I'm not expecting it, but how crazy would it be to actually travel directly from area to area on Isle Delfino after all these years?

sanstesy

Whipped up a labelled version of that new map: https://i.imgur.com/2INP0Ws.jpg

Also, seeing the globe in this projection and orientation, I think I see the theme for another unrevealed kingdom:
The easternmost continent is shaped like a bat wing. I suspect that will be the more traditional spooky world since Cap Kingdom really doesn't look to suit that role.

What about the land under Bubblaine? It honestly looks almost like the continent Africa and it would be otherwise pretty weird to just stick that big landmass under the champagne bottle.

RagnarokX

What about the land under Bubblaine? It honestly looks almost like the continent Africa.

It could be something, but it has no obvious shape to make guesses about. And it's South America. Metro Kingdom is shaped like North America and they're connected by a messed up Central America.

Red Devil

It's interesting to think about how extense the world is(not during gameplay) as they went to Isle Delfino on a private jet.

Dinosaur Land might as well be the kingdom with the T-Rex. DK Island might as well forget it with New Donk City, Sarasaland I'm afraid is not canon on this game.

NeonZ

Does Sarasaland even have an official shape? But, yeah, if they were just throwing random known landmasses there, there's also the Super Mario 3 kingdoms and the Super Mario World map.

RagnarokX

The way Mario is conceptualized it's best not to take geography so seriously. This planet was created for this game and its geography takes into account what matters for this game. If it's on this map then it's probably a place you go to, and future games will likely pay no heed to this map. As a cartoony video game Mario lacks real-world limitations in creating the stages the plays are performed on.

Red Devil

Does Sarasaland even have an official shape? But, yeah, if they were just throwing random known landmasses there, there's also the Super Mario 3 kingdoms and the Super Mario World map.

Regarding Sarasaland nothing beyond the SML artwork and that it's divided in 4 kingdoms.

Srasas.PNG

The SMB3 "lands" I always assumed were neighbouring places to Mushroom Kingdom.

Why is everyone forgetting the Sprixie Kingdom? ��

I always assumed it was on like another dimension connected to Mushroom Kingdom.

Top Bottom