• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SFA an early gamecube game has better lighting, textures, models, proper shadows, nearly everything is superior visually.
Rare is a pretty talented developer when it comes to technology implementation. At this time, I'd say that SFA is technically superior to every single game currently available on Nintendo Wii.

I still can't believe Namco released such a terrible shot for the new Wii game, though. I'm sure the game will look much better, but it certainly gives a bad first impression.

IceIpor

dark10x said:
Rare is a pretty talented developer when it comes to technology implementation. At this time, I'd say that SFA is technically superior to every single game currently available on Nintendo Wii.

I still can't believe Namco released such a terrible shot for the new Wii game, though. I'm sure the game will look much better, but it certainly gives a bad first impression.

Actually... Judging from the shots and comparisons, if I had to make a groundless statement, it looks like Tales of the Abyss.

Basically, it looks like they were developing this for the PS2 but then the higher ups told them to move it to the Wii.

Haunted

dark10x said:
exactly. Looking at the screens above, ToS 1 looks arguably better than that one Wii shot.

It should at least surpass the prequel in terms of graphics.

rakka

dark10x said:

This I agree with :lol

Devs are totally half-assing it now. Admitting it, too (something along the lines of "on the wii we can be wasteful, but on the 360/ps3 we have to push the systems as much as we can loollol")

****ing ridiculous.

And Nintendo really need to pick up a dev to make up for their loss of Rare.

Dascu

IceIpor said:
Actually... Judging from the shots and comparisons, if I had to make a groundless statement, it looks like Tales of the Abyss.

Basically, it looks like they were developing this for the PS2 but then the higher ups told them to move it to the Wii.

Bingo.

rakka

Dascu said:

Not quite. that ToS2 shot would look bad even for ps2.

:(

final-fantasy-xii-20061027031036603.jpg

FFXII ps2 makes tos2 look like a n64 game.

Link1110

Conrad Link said:
How can ToS2 end up looking worse than ToS??

Does not compute.

I'm guessing/hoping its just a bad shot or early or somethin.
Could be, the town shot looks alot better than the battle one.

mutsu

If ToS2 is a sequel, why isn't it cel-shaded?

Heck, why not just even use the same graphics engine as ToS? Even the same graphics engine on the GC looks better than what is used in that screenshot.

Dascu

rakka said:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031036603.jpg[img]
FFXII ps2 makes tos2 look like a n64 game.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, but Namco is no Square-Enix. As a general PS2 game, that screenshot would look OK.

Also, I'm still hoping for FFXII (that new version) to be ported to the Wii. I know this has a snowball's chance in hell, but come on Square. FFXII looks better than FF:CC Wii for crying out loud.

rakka said:

But that's how Abyss looked when the first shots were shown.

Basically, I think they've ported that engine to Wii for this ToS game.

nightside

they have the engine used for ToS, why bother porting another one?

yes..that screen really sucks..but i really don't think that the final game will be below ToS level..

Swisslink

nightside said:
they have the engine used for ToS, why bother porting another one?

yes..that screen really sucks..but i really don't think that the final game will be below ToS level..

I hope so >_<

Haha, DQ-style betrayalton for Tales? Ichigo and dark10x complete suicide watch confirmed. :p

Shouta said:
Man, DS is the lead platform for Tales now? It's DQ all over again but possibly even worse. =|

At least we'll get Rebirth on the PSP and "Tales of Leon for the Fangirls" before it sinks into the depths of stupid. ;(

Poor Shouta, looks like you'll have to get a DS. :O

I do have to ask, why on earth are they going with 3D on the DS? It could be all pretty 2D like TOD remake. :(

IceIpor

Well... whatever the case is, the politics from this press release might be something else if true.

If I'm going to make another blank statement from the evidence before me... (the shift to DS being the "main" platform, the releases for the PSP and PS2, and the fact that TOS2 might have been a PS2 game at first...)

At first, it seems like Bandai-Namco were developing these games to show that they believed that Sony would win Japan.
However, now that it's clear to them that the PS3 and PSP won't be a major force in Japan, they've basically shifted the new Tales games onto Nintendo platforms in order to try to win support and rapport from Nintendo and their fans in this generation.

Basically Bandai-Namco is saying, "Developing for non-Nintendo platforms is a lost cause! Head to where the money is!"

...And no more random speculation from me. Because if a Tales for PS3/360 is announced soon, my theory will probably be useless.

Edit: I lied... I have one more piece that I forgot to add.

It's actually clever the way they did this. If you see increasing support for Wii in the future from Bandai-Namco (e.g. more new Tales of games), this talk of DS being the "main" platform was just a way to weasel out of announcing who would win the home console war.
Right now, they would probably have a hard time explaining to Sony why they have chosen the Wii as the main platform, since it's a bit early. (It won't go over well if they just tell them: "well, you're losing.")
However, by choosing the DS, they can claim that for financial reasons, not supporting the DS would be suicide.

Link1110

ToS spoilers:
In that ToS: Knights of Latatosk town screenshot, is that
Palmacosta? They rebuilt it awful quick.

Ryuuga

Banned
I know I'm among many when I say that I wish I saw the return of the 2D titles. After I played Odin Sphere I pictured a whole new Tales game with the aid of Vanilla Soft (although unlikely). Have a circular battlefield but take it a step further with ToR's 3L-LMB and have points on that battlefield that you can switch between with different elevations. The best of both worlds.

Dragona Akehi said:
I do have to ask, why on earth are they going with 3D on the DS? It could be all pretty 2D like TOD remake. :(

If it were Team Destiny making it, it definitely would have been 2D. :'( I hope we get a Team Destiny 2D Tales in the future. 2D Tales wins.

Saoh

WOOOOOOOO!!!!! Tales Wii! :D :D amazing is if it´s ToS2

edit: it is ToS2, wooooooooooo!!!!!!! :D talking about graphics already?? hitting a new low GAF, new low >_> i forgot the game comes out tomorrow.

rakka

Neo Child said:
Wii:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/07/20/h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

Playsation 1:
http://www.uffsite.net/ff9/images/battle2_large.jpg

Not that far off.

Why are so many Wii games looking so horrendiousely bad?
I believe that ps1 screen is a bullshot.

But still, your point is clear and valid. :lol

As mentioned its probably due to them using an old engine... Hopefully in future the devs will ****ing wake up and put in some real effort.

Hell i'd be happy with mid-level GC graphics right now after seeing all this shit.

Ryuuga

Banned
I really wish the graphic comparisons would stop. I bet most of the people who are urked wth the visuals never grasped that it's basically running on the same engine as TotA, just as plain in the early stages and eventually turned out somewhat pleasing to the eye
albeit with lots of loading and world-map trotting lag
. I'm just glad to see the return of ToS in place of what I'd originally assumed was a rumor or a wish. Personally, the only way this game could be ruined for me is lack of multiplayer. Local is absolutely fine, but Wifi (WFC) play would be sex. I predict control rings.

dark10x

Haha, DQ-style betrayalton for Tales? Ichigo and dark10x complete suicide watch confirmed. :p
Not surprised, really. I'll probably just ignore the DS installments. I wouldn't mind playing the Wii game, really, but I'll be stuck with the US release thanks to the lack of region free gaming on the Wii.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
With the 2 Gb cards being made, ToI might even have a lot of voice acting. Of course they might use the extra space to make the game more than 10 hours long. That's assuming they even use those cards.

And wow at the Wii shot. That's gotta be a really early shot because somebody chose that shot to display to the outside world... Just imagine what the rejected shots looked like.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
If it were Team Destiny making it, it definitely would have been 2D. :'( I hope we get a Team Destiny 2D Tales in the future. 2D Tales wins.

Yeah, I'd love to see Team Destiny design an original 2D Tales for the DS. I bet that'd look really fantastic.

dark10x said:
Not surprised, really. I'll probably just ignore the DS installments. I wouldn't mind playing the Wii game, really, but I'll be stuck with the US release thanks to the lack of region free gaming on the Wii.

Poor guy... you're going to ignore the new home of the Tales series? Man, that sucks; what a terrible a shame for you. No Tales for dark10x for the next five years. :(

Neo Child said:
Wii:
h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

Playsation 1:

Not that far off.

Why are so many Wii games looking so horrendiousely bad?

Instead of comparing it to an emulated bullshot of FFIX, why not to Tales of the Abyss?
tales-of-the-abyss-20060803053930061.jpg

dark10x

Poor guy... you're going to ignore the new home of the Tales series? Man, that sucks; what a terrible a shame for you. No Tales for dark10x for the next five years. :(
Not a huge loss. I enjoy the series, but not enough to bother with DS versions. I haven't really enjoyed any major franchises on the DS. They always leave me cold and it has little to do with the visuals (as most of those games were 2D to begin with). Hey look, I'm avoiding insulting the DS.

At least I'll be able to enjoy a chopped up version of ToS2...

Durante

Since this thread is now about screenshot comparisons (of that horrible, horrible, probably not at all representative shot), let me throw in one I just took on my PSP:
TotW1.jpg

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

This is actually a better comparison than most others, as it's the same publisher and probably the same low budget. Staggering similarity I would say. No wonder there are so many PSPorts to Wii :lol

Am I the only one who thinks the ToS game won't look all that bad in the end? With a release date of 'sometime in 2008', that's atypical for the series, usually when new stuff is announced, there's only a few months left until the game is released. Plenty of time to polish up the graphics.

Like I said, Abyss looked like shit when it was first shown and the end product was beautiful, this should be no different.

ethelred said:
Yeah, I'd love to see Team Destiny design an original 2D Tales for the DS. I bet that'd look really fantastic.

I can't imagine the ToD: DC taking up much of their time, and with the DS becoming the primary focus for the series (for now), I'd say there's a good chance it could happen. :D

Am I the only one who thinks the ToS game won't look all that bad in the end?

No. it's obvious that the game will look really better in the end.
Furthermore, it's a low quality screen. I think it should be wiser to wait for a proper screenshot, or a video.

rakka

Trucbidule said:
No. it's obvious that the game will look really better in the end.
Furthermore, it's a low quality screen. I think it should be wiser to wait for a proper screenshot, or a video.

Spot shadows aren't due to bad captures though ;)

ethelred

Durante said:
Since this thread is now about screenshot comparisons (of that horrible, horrible, probably not at all representative shot), let me throw in one I just took on my PSP:
This is actually a better comparison than most others, as it's the same publisher and probably the same low budget. Staggering similarity I would say. No wonder there are so many PSPorts to Wii :lol

:lol

Honestly, though, folks shouldn't worry too much. Scamco's "The DS is our new home for Tales!" sounds like BS when the only announcement they have to go with it is a new game from Alfa -- nothing from either of the two Tales Studio teams. And with it seeming like the Wii game's getting made either by Namco Hometek or the Death by Degrees team, don't fret, Team Symphonia's probably working on a PS360 game as we speak.

In any event, ToS2 is off my radar until we learn more about it or hear confirmation of the actual developer. ToI, on the other hand, looks pretty hot and given Alfa's track record, is sure to be a good game (even if not on the calibre of a Team Destiny/Symphonia title).

Magicpaint said:
Am I the only one who thinks the ToS game won't look all that bad in the end?

I'm not worried too much about the visuals. My only concern is the developer. If it's not Team Symphonia (and it doesn't sound like it is), then no interest from me. Death by Degrees Tales doesn't sound like fun.

Magicpaint said:
I can't imagine the ToD: DC taking up much of their time, and with the DS becoming the primary focus for the series (for now), I'd say there's a good chance it could happen. :D

Well, if that wasn't just Scamco blowing smoke, then yeah. The DC can't be taking up much time or resources, so I AM curious what the two Tales Studio teams are doing. If one of their projects is a 2D DS Tales from Destiny and a PS360 Tales from Symphonia, I won't complain!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
I'm not worried too much about the visuals. My only concern is the developer. If it's not Team Symphonia (and it doesn't sound like it is), then no interest from me. Death by Degrees Tales doesn't sound like fun.

Well, if that wasn't just Scamco blowing smoke, then yeah. The DC can't be taking up much time or resources, so I AM curious what the two Tales Studio teams are doing. If one of their projects is a 2D DS Tales from Destiny and a PS360 Tales from Symphonia, I won't complain!

Whaaaaaaaaat???? When did this come out?

ethelred said:
:lol

Honestly, though, folks shouldn't worry too much. Scamco's "The DS is our new home for Tales!" sounds like BS when the only announcement they have to go with it is a new game from Alfa -- nothing from either of the two Tales Studio teams.
I guess we'll see if that's concrete in a few months. Normally a new Tales game gets announced shortly before/after the next entry is released. We'll know for real when we see what the Tales Studio is up to.

ethelred said:

Oh that's true. The very fact that the developer wasn't mentioned at the conference is pretty worrying I'd say. Hopefully this is a genuine Tales game, not some shitty spin-off. Otherwise -- go to hell, Namco.

I'll be watching the Namco Tales Studio site to see if they have any involvement. Usually they update their site after a new Tales game has been announced.

ethelred said:

Surely that'd make everyone happy? That'd be utterly fantastic.

Durante

schuelma said:
Whaaaaaaaaat???? When did this come out?
Probably just speculation extrapolated from IGN's "Don't get too excited" comment. Unless ethelred is privy to some insider infoz.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, Symphonia Wii's visuals do remind me a lot of Radiant Mythology... maybe Alfa System's handling this game too? It'd make sense, especially if this is what became of "Sword of Legendia".

Innocence DS looks pretty good though, nice to see Scamco finally throwing DS a worthwhile effort. Really though, they should've done this years ago. :/

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Magicpaint said:
ToR PSP is actually the one I'm most excited about for now.

Yup, this. The others I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, but I can say firmly right now that ToR PSP i'll buy day 1. Especially after seeing how awesome Tales of the World: RM looks and plays.

I'm still excited for this game. Symphonia was omg great.

I just hope they up the graphics and give me the same awesome gameplay and music!

SantaC

I'd say there is too much drama around that Tales Wii screenshot (it looks like Abyss and it is fine for me). It's just a single shot I'd wait until we see more of the game. As ethereld said, I am more worried about the developer behind this. No Team Symphonia and it will suck...

e32006_p2_Tales-of-the-Abyss.jpg

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Hmm, checking Namco's JP website it seems Symponhia Wii (due spring 2008) and Sword of Legendia (release still tba) are actually different games... so that's 2 Tales spinoffs for Wii then?

SantaC

jarrod said:
Hmm, checking Namco's JP website it seems Symponhia Wii (due spring 2008) and Sword of Legendia (release still tba) are actually different games... so that's 2 Tales spinoffs for Wii then?

spinoffs? You mean like Symponhia Wii is not in the main series?

Top Bottom