• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

Enosh

5-10h action adventure inside w3

that's basically the length of your average action adventure game ^^

game of the gen contender. the second was a really good progression from the first. these guys seem untouchable to me at the moment.

Lingitiz

A little more detail from another translator:
- On the topic of sidequests and decisions, Witcher 3 has in contrast to other games no problem of denying you content based on your decisions. For instance in one sidequest you could choose to enter a brawl of soldiers of some sort and if you did not an entire dungeon is completely denied to you for this playthrough. Also very interesting, the decisions and consequences are not as obvious as in Witcher 2 where at the end or the beginning of a chapter you had to choose between one or the other. In the Witcher 3 it is way more integrated into the gameplay and "every-day" decisions. As he summarized it: It will be impossible to have the same playthrough twice.

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com...xlusive_live_qa_by_gamestarde_hosted/#spoiler

This is by far the biggest issue with Skyrim and I'm glad they are carrying over from Witcher 2 in keeping this. The fact that they will exclude certain content from you is one thing, but hiding certain story aspects and perspectives really makes every choice that much more impactful.

Spoilers for TW2
Replaying Iorveth's path and finding out that the dragon I killed on my other playthrough was Saskia absolutely blew my mind.

tumblr_nl7pirqgYg1uq52j7o1_250.gif

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sounds good but ill have to wait and see. The second game was praised to the high heavens by pretty much everyone but i couldnt get into it. It had a lot of nice shiny upgrades over the first game but wasnt fun. i dont have the same level as most of admiration of CD Projekt.. i mean, we are talking about a developer that fucked up a dice poker mini-game.

edit: and i dont trust Gamestar.de to be objective.

zkorejo

I will be playing this for such a long time..... Everything about this game excites me.

Its weird that the journalist had access to the game for 2 days but only played 13 hours.

xehanort

I will be playing this for such a long time..... Everything about this game excites me.

Its weird that the journalist had access to the game for 2 days but only played 13 hours.

Yeah, it's not like they can stop doing what they do and just play the game.

erawsd

Its probably more accurate to say that he got 2 extended play sessions. He didnt get to play from home, it was done at the CDPR office which means he probably had an allotted time he was able to be there.

Jonm1010

Banned
It's not confirmed, but I think it is. And I'd be very happy if the game looked like that, as that was the video that sold me on the game.

Im sorry but that screen is not impressive to me in any way. In fact parts of it look awfully rough. Like bad shot Unity rough.

This is what sold me on the game and I am still not seeing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g

Now granted, What this thread has revealed has sold me in a different way. I will be there day one, but graphically, I have to say that I am worried that they oversold the game and I am about to have a repeat of my feelings with Oblivion back in the day or Dark Souls 2 PC more recently. Where I was promised something on reveal and told to continue to expect it, then near release the hammer was dropped and the truth was that what was promised was never going to materialize.

Exentryk

Im sorry but that screen is not impressive to me in any way. In fact parts of it look awfully rough. Like bad shot Unity rough.

Now granted, What this thread has revealed has sold me in a different way. I will be there day one, but graphically, I have to say that I am worried that they oversold the game and I am about to have a repeat of my feelings with Oblivion back in the day.

Most of that stuff still is in the game, right? Or have they said they've removed anything?

Jonm1010

Banned
Most of that stuff still is in the game, right? Or have they said they've removed anything?

Thats my point. They haven't said they have removed it but the screens tell me they likely have. I can't imagine Ultra has restored all of those features. Like Bethesda and From Software, they didn't confirm there was a downgrade either.

Now, maybe Ultra truly does add a new dimension to the game that will deliver on the early footage, but I am not holding my breath.

Like i said though, unless some reviews really raise a red flag, Im buying the game for the gameplay alone, but I am concerned that the graphics promised may end up being another broken promise. I hope I am wrong and i hope that screen is only the High settings or something. Like what CD Projekt Red has said recently that they haven't revealed Ultra. So I am still holding to a sliver of hope. Even if that hop is dwindling to nearly zero.

Now granted, What this thread has revealed has sold me in a different way. I will be there day one, but graphically, I have to say that I am worried that they oversold the game and I am about to have a repeat of my feelings with Oblivion back in the day or Dark Souls 2 PC more recently. Where I was promised something on reveal and told to continue to expect it, then near release the hammer was dropped and the truth was that what was promised was never going to materialize.

They've (allegedly) been crunching for years and have delayed the game several times. Am I in the minority if I thought they weren't delaying to get the game from awesome to super awesome?

I'm not the biggest Witcher fan and I haven't pre-ordered it so far, but I'm thinking of doing so to take advantage of the 20% discount in my region.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a number of artistic/rendering criticisms that I feel bring down the overall presentation (not badly, mind you, just nitpicking where other games may do better). But I honestly have a hard time identifying where a downgrade has occurred versus the very specific cherry picking of gorgeous scenes and locations, likely downsampled for maximum IQ, from trailers shown so far.

Downgrade just seems like the wrong word.

Derp

Sounds great! This will most definitely be my 2015 GOTY.

Also, after seeing all the various quality of gameplays, I think the 35 min video was in ultra quality.
Didn't they say that they weren't going to show the ultra setting at all?

If anything we've seen is ultra, it would be this:
UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

But if they weren't lying when they said they won't show ultra, then we should be able to replicate that gif on less than ultra... Right CDPR...? Riiiight?

When the game is out we'll find out.

Thats my point. They haven't said they have removed it but the screens tell me they likely have. I can't imagine Ultra has restored all of those features. Like Bethesda and From Software, they didn't confirm there was a downgrade either.

So which features of that video have been removed exactly?

* bloom shafts
* aerial perspective fog
* volume based translucency
* semi volumetric clouds
* fur simulation
* "flexible water simulation"
* forward lit soft particles
* water and terrain tesselation
* screen space reflections

In my opinion, the main difference between old and new material is a change in art direction/colors. It went from being dark and gritty to a slightly more vibrant and soft style that doesn't look as realistic but more like a painting. Other than that, of course there will always be scenes that won't look as good as others.

erawsd

I know the 35 minute demo had the nvidia fur, but how do we know it was ultra again?

I'm pretty sure they said that 35minute video is high. Every long form video they've released has been running high settings. Isnt that why everyone is so mad about them holding back ultra?

But if they weren't lying when they said they won't show ultra, then we should be able to replicate that gif on less than ultra... Right CDPR...? Riiiight?

Well, based on the preview that start this thread, ultra improves foilage and lighting quality, which are pretty much the only things that gif has over recent footage so its def possible.

cripterion

With all these news, now I can barely wait for the game. Feels like it's so far away.

11071030_843061729086184_7196755451478667460_n.jpg

This man's body seems to be ready!

thelastword

Banned

The original trailer looked like it had a sharpening/grain filter too.

I hope the game looks as good as it did when they said they were playing on an xbone
at E3, impressions on gameplay is just as I suspected.

Give up on the dream. They've said several times in the past few months that they didn't fully know what they could get away with in the open world until early 2014. Stuff from the debut trailer and vgx trailer were vertical slices that didn't have to deal with the open world memory streaming. So the bar definitely has been lowered from this.

kencey

"Best items in the game must be crafted"

MEH
i hate this, but i guess i'm the only one here.

It's the same with Skyrim, the best items are crafted.
I mean what's better than finding a sword at the end of a dungeon?
It takes away all the thrill on finding loot in the open world, because your crafted gear is miles better than the shit you find. Sad...

MEH

It takes away all the thrill on finding loot in the open world, because your crafted gear is miles better than the shit you find. Sad...
Well you can find those items to craft at the end of the dungeon. -_-

Zexen

MEH

Nope, add me to the count!
Finding a piece of cloth and 10x rare silver ore isn't particularly exciting.

Finding a legendary sword on the other hand...
Yup, listen to that guy.

Denton

You should perhaps not judge crafting in Witcher 3 by Skyrim's standards.
For example, instead of some super uber rare sword, you will find some super uber rare meteoric ore or schematics that will allow you to ask master smith to you craft super uber rare sword.

Sotha_Sil

They said in a previous interview that the best crafted weapons have their own side quests attached to them. I doubt it will be as you describe.

i-Lo

So presumably now that the game has gone for submission to MS and Sony, perhaps the people who have consoles will now be granted the highest of high honours of laying their eyes on the game; after all, they're only going to account for a great if not majority chunk of sales.

Top Bottom