• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tony Hawk game will be a mobile exclusive

AdanVC

Let's just HOPE this would not be the new trend of seeing forgotten franchises that used to be great years ago making it's "Glorious" return only on Mobile...

Yeah....the controls are gonna be disgusting for a game like this. Unless they seriously neuter the original gameplay style. And of course, they will!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Doesn't Activision's contract with Tony Hawk end soon? I can't imagine they'll renew.

I remember reading about when they signed that deal. It was 2002 or 2003. Everyone laughed that when the deal was over he'd be in his mid 40s.

And yeah, the contract expires next year.

Coolade

MaPjOqY.jpg

GenericUser

many people on this forum said that a new tony hawk is shit anyways. I disagree. Now this game turns out to be mobile exclusice, posters shit on that aswell. I agree. Sucks to not have a proper THPS experience on my ps4.

Sounds about right. I loved Tony Hawk back in the day, but this is a long dead genre chasing that same imagined success so many other publishers are looking for on mobile.

Who wants to olli harder? Just 99 cents more... Better to have stayed dead. But hey, that's just my pessimistic viewpoint on mobile.

Awwww, I really loved TONY HAWK: RIDE, TONY HAWK: SHRED and TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER HD with the amazing new physics. I had real fucking high hopes for the next one.

KemoSabe

hell yeah,
hopefully with awesome IAP like new colors for the wheels or new shoelaces, or wheels that will be worn off after a few meters...

fuck you smartphone "gaming", and stop destroying my games.

who with a right mind will play a tony hawk game on the phone with no buttons???

Hip Hop

Would you guys REALLY want another shitty Tony Hawk console game?

I, personally, am glad I can virtually write this game off now instead of being disappointed later.
Stop it, they weren't shitty.

(Loved every single one up to Proving Ground).

I would have gladly payed $60 for anther full fledged title.

Axass

Is there anything safe from the mobile "treatment"?
Aside from Nintendo stuff.

Since last year we've begun to see some old loved IP making the jump: Dungeon Keeper, Breath of Fire, Tony Hawk, Final Fantasy... what else?

Lol fuck off.

Yeah that was my first thought when hearing a new tony hawk was coming. I thought yup, it would be fun as hell to play that with my fucking head down tapping the screen or using some bullshit makeshift gamepad on the screen controls.

Idiots

There's really no place in the current industry for a big-budget skateboarding game. The days of Jackass and pop punk bands ended some time around 2007. The market just isn't there anymore.

There's really no place in the current industry for a big-budget skateboarding game. The days of Jackass and pop punk bands ended some time around 2007. The market just isn't there anymore.

Did the Pro Skater HD title fail? I know it wasn't a very good remake but they probably used that to gauge interest in a new full fledged title.

Vlade

How does that make sense in explaining why it is on mobile? old nostalgia people like consoles.

I guess because

1. name recognition
2. $.99 / microtransactions
3. profit

is the way a game could be not fun and turn a few bucks?

man... so names I loved are just step 1 in the mobile market hussle. I should really stop letting myself think that old franchises are being revived and realize they are just being dug up and slapped around.

dreamfall

Goodness, that's so disappointing.

Maybe the mobile title will be grand, hopefully it will work with a controller.

But why do they continue to just destroy the franchise? Can anyone out there make a Tony Hawk inspired skating game that plays like THPS1-4 on new consoles? I would like an Aggressive Inline reboot too. Bring back those arcade sports titles with awesome level designs, secrets littered in each level and a simple but great control scheme.

Profound sadness.

canedaddy

THUG 2 was great, American Wasteland kicked off the decline at the beginning of last generation.
Yep.

It was probably crazy to hope for a new console game that's not mostly tutorial crap, but I did anyway.

Less than zero interest in this mobile nonsense.

Forget this ever happened and play OlliOlli, guys, then wait for a sequel that does even more. If you're going to play some minimalistic skateboarding on a small screen, it might as well be something good.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
But why do they continue to just destroy the franchise? Can anyone out there make a Tony Hawk inspired skating game that plays like THPS1-4 on new consoles? I would like an Aggressive Inline reboot too. Bring back those arcade sports titles with awesome level designs, secrets littered in each level and a simple but great control scheme.

Because the franchise ends next year with the expiration of the Tony Hawk naming rights.

And I figure that skateboarding is considered too much of a niche "sport" to warrant a significant investment nowadays. Your only hope is with indie developers and/or Kickstarter.

demolitio

With the power of the next-gen systems, we think we could really revitalize the Tony Hawk franchise...on mobile.

That's just torture to do it at a time when people are imagining old series on new hardware and by new hardware, I mean more powerful hardware...

Endless F2P runner in the style of Temple Run or Sonic Dash. Pay to get new boards or tricks or something.

Well, the F2P part is right if what he's said in the past is true

"It used to just be Nintendo and PlayStation, and now it's all kind of devices. So you've got to learn to adapt what you know from the technology into those areas...I've been wanting to do a mobile game for a long time."

Hawk said the best model for mobile-gaming appeared to be to offer the game for free, but start charging customers once they wanted to progress to the next levels of the game.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101154724?__...yahoo&doc=101154724|Tony Hawk: I'm ready to t

demolitio

Guess, I think you're missing the genius of this...

What if, the iPad is the skateboard.

Think about it.

I really hope I don't fail on a kickflip then. That'd be expensive. :p

I wouldn't mind mobile games as much if they start taking controllers seriously. Touchscreen gaming doesn't work for more traditional games and shooters are annoying with the lock-on and assists.

Controllers becoming just slightly popular would boost my interest in gaming on my phone and tablet for these sorts of games.

Top Bottom