• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tony Hawk game will be a mobile exclusive

Aaron

It's better this way. The last... I don't know how many console Tony Hawks have been garbage. Was Proving Ground any good? Project 8 was almost good, but the framerate was shit.

marrec

Banned
It's better this way. The last... I don't know how many console Tony Hawks have been garbage. Was Proving Ground any good? Project 8 was almost good, but the framerate was shit.

See! Yes. I agree.

This isn't indicative of anything but Tony Hawk's brand being nearly spent. Of course it's going to be a mobile game, who would want to take the risk on a Tony Hawk console game in 2014?

SoundLad

Even though I don't have faith in the THPS series anymore (especially since playing the Skate games), this game could have potential.
Take the best bits from OlliOlli and flesh it out a bit more and boom you've got a winner. However, I'm not sure how they could improve on what OlliOlli achieved.

jabuseika

Prepare for DLC characters/boards/apparel/maps.

HKCkrLx.gif

Rixa

Probably includes microstranstrash...
Like:
Pay 1e for faster board
Pay 1e for new skin
Pay 1e for better grip
etc.

The rise & fall of Tony Hawk.

SmokyDave

Quick! Everyone pile on a game you'd have probably hated on your preferred platform anyway!

Cautiously interested myself, the Touchgrind games are pretty cool so I know skateboarding can work on a mobile.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even imagine how you'd play a Tony Hawk game on a mobile device... but okay.

FrankCaron

There's a lot of ignorance in this thread towards what a mobile THPS game could be, tbh. Touchgrind 2 is actually a lot of fun and gives you the same level of satisfaction as Skate, imo.

Likewise, Olliolli could work on mobile, and it's one of the best skating games of the last 5 years.

I'm no mobile crusader, but not every mobile transition needs to be derided before we even see anything.

Laieon

Should have expected this but held out hope. Would have so bought a new Tony Hawk game. :(

I really don't remember the episode this was taken from and I feel like I should.

It's the episode where
he leaves Donna.

lights out guerilla radio
turn that shit up
all hell can't stop us now

if its free but with buy for bleh bleh I'll still give it a download
I owe it to tony hawk for 1-4,underground 1-2, american wasteland B^) god tony

but this is disappointing news :(

Whompa

To get the authentic feel of skateboarding into the palm of your hand!

I can smell the microtransactions a mile away.

Amory

Tony Hawk said:
‘We’re working on a game, we are working on a game, it’s pretty cool,’ he said.

I have to say, when I read that quote I knew it wasn't going to be just a solid, regular-ass, classic Tony Hawk game. I don't know what it is about that line, but I knew it meant the reveal would be disappointing.

Zeppeli

Banned
Reading the madness of the Tony Hawk mobile announcement thread, which follows in the wake of umpteen (admittedly-justified given the company's track record) "Square-Enix roflcopter mobile games are ruining this new franchise" threads, has left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I thought that the excellent work done for XCOM, Sonic Racing Transformed, and Baulder's Gate, along with the port of Bastion and some of the more "platform-centric" games like Lili, Trigger Fist, Call of Duty: Strike Team, and Infinity Blade have done a ton to prove that mobile can do "real" / "hardcore" games really well. I'm not saying these can replace traditional platforms, but there are many great examples of quality, feature-packed, non-freemium games that play really well and play to the hardcore audience perfectly.

Now, is it possible that the new Tony Hawk game could turn out to be shit? Sure. But I also want to point you to Touchgrind 2, which is one of the most fun skating games this side of Olliolli and since Skate.

In case you don't know why, I think this one image will help:

It has the same design approach as Skate: hard, skill-based inputs and a more realistic approach which makes hitting tricks and lines appropriately satisfying, along with plenty of customization to keep things personalized.

The same rough sentiment was given to the new Hitman turn-based game, which I think could actually work REALLY well and be really unique. Needless, igornant hate just because it's mobile followed predictably, though.

Tldr; Has the quality of XCOM and Sonic Transformed not earned the mobile platform a little more leeway from the hardcore? Or are we stuck with this crap?

its less about the stigma of the games and more about the stigma around the hardware

you can release hundreds more of these harecore mobile games and they'll still be shunned here, followed up by threads like "does the vita really need games?" solely because its looked at as a core device

the input method or lack therefore of is the biggest obstacle to gaining "respect" in gaming communities

Muku

That's a wrap.

I had my heart set on another Tony Hawk game... but after this, I'll be passing. Thanks but no thanks.

Edit: I loved the old games. Think my favorite is still THPS on Dreamcast. Played the hell out of that game.

Top Bottom