• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for The Division (3 minutes)

Theorry

I dont quite get the setting. It seems to be post apocalyptic but they have high-end gear? Is there anything I am missing here?

You're in the midst of a pandemic that began on Black Friday. It's determined that the virus was spread through bank notes and your job to get to the bottom of it. You're part of a classified agency called the Strategic Homeland Division. The SHD train their operatives to work with or without command, thus The Division.

In summation, the SHD are one of the last hopes to regain civility to the country.

The very very first teaser does explain that abit. This was the video before the gameplay came. Back in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1l2kEHsxa0

Grief.exe

Yeah, I heard about that trick during the Alpha but it just doesn't feel right to do for me personally. The bundle has helped fill up my UPlay library (that largely goes ignored).

I wouldn't be worrying yourself about a mega publisher's bottom line, but a certain percentage of those that utilize that method to acquire a beta key will end up fully pre-ordering the game. So it turns out as a positive for the company either way.

ViciousDS

Banned
Lots of people don't care about tht stuff. Just want to play the camapign/multiplayer and move on.

?????

Destiny Raiding is a huge deal and the only reason people moved on was because Bungie made King's Fall basically worthless to complete. You get garbage gear half the time and its not even worth doing Oryx. My time is better spent doing strikes....it never was that way!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
?????

Destiny Raiding is a huge deal and the only reason people moved on was because Bungie made King's Fall basically worthless to complete. You get garbage gear half the time and its not even worth doing Oryx.

Destiny Raiding is a huge deal yes. That said, last I checked the majority of Destiny players had not completed a single Raid.

For the more hardcore player base, it is a bigger deal. For many players though, they never reach or care to reach the endgame.

Goes hand in hand with the stats that just about no one actually finished Single Player games campaigns.

Personally, it doesn't actually matter to me if Division has raids like other MMO's (or like Destiny). I say that as someone whose sole reason of playing Destiny end-game is the raids.

It matters more how the end-game overall is handled in Division. An MMO-esque game without a good end-game... yikes! No thanks.

Keasar

I want another Ground Control :(

Sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

Me too man. Me too.

Well this thread is about a trailer that released today, that states in the trailer 'arch 8th 2016.

So while a delay is still possible, they obviously don't think there will be one at this point in time.

The trailers we've gotten, and it looks like this one is too, are not detailed in what you do in the game and how you do it. If that makes sense?

I need more of a "you'll start the game at X, and you'll have these things to do in our game, and in doing them eventually you'll reach Y in progression which then opens up Z".

*In doing story you'll garner this, along the way you'll have daily quests, weekly events, raids, etc*

Right now all we know about is darkness zones and the game is pretty. I want a little more meat on what I may be doing on day 1 versus day 30.

I played the alpha and really enjoyed it. It has a great sense of space. I hope it gains a big community similar to Destiny.

Looking forward to the beta and day one purchase for me.

LkPr

Translation from Reddit:

0:00 - When you joined the division, what did you expect?
0:08 - I'm sure they told you of the sacrifices you'd eventually have to make
0:16 - but none of us could have expected this
0:27 - if there is a chance at putting this city back on its feet, it depends on you
0:37 - upon arriving, this place was destroyed. but with time, it can become our home.
0:45 - From here, we did many missions seeking others, drs, egineers, police. people who would help rebuild the city.
1:02 - out there you'll need all your (might?). Each battle will make you stronger
1:26 - every struggle will make you more potent(better).
1:35 - spend some time alone and you'll learn, if we don't fight together, you'll die alone.
1:47 - other agents have created refuges all over the city. you'll have to collaborate and fight with them.
1:54 - we have to rely on our strengths to save what's left and give NY a chance to fight for something that we thought we lost, hope.
2:10 - we need to collaborate and unite our efforts, fight together.
2:45 - you are here for a reason, don't have doubts, we will retake our city
3:03 - during your efforts, youll find a place outside the walls, the black zone, a place of fear and struggle where you can't trust anyone
3:20 - our fight is only the beginning

BigTnaples

The trailers we've gotten, and it looks like this one is too, are not detailed in what you do in the game and how you do it. If that makes sense?

I need more of a "you'll start the game at X, and you'll have these things to do in our game, and in doing them eventually you'll reach Y in progression which then opens up Z".

*In doing story you'll garner this, along the way you'll have daily quests, weekly events, raids, etc*

Right now all we know about is darkness zones and the game is pretty. I want a little more meat on what I may be doing on day 1 versus day 30.

Eh, not really. There are PLENTY of gameplay videos and descriptions out there. (some in this very thread). They have released several trailers describing the story, and several gameplay walkthroughs. And there is a beta in a couple weeks. Sounds like more than enough to me...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Crazy how this seems to be Ubi's best thing to come out from them in who knows how long, and it's on such a lockdown.

The friends of mine that played the Alpha all said that they love the game to the point that they will buy it for sure.

They've put out a few videos here and there, yes, but nothing really that describes what the gameplay is about, just only what the setting is about. It's only after reading people talking about the Alpha here on GAF that I had any clue what the game would play like, and the Alpha was actually under NDA.

Oh well, hope the open beta is out soon so that I can at least check the game out from multiple perspectives on Twitch.

Sorry, couldn't finish to watch it. I'm italian and the voiceover is too painful. If english is your native language, you can't even begin to understand how lucky you are (entertainement-wise).

Zeta Oni

Crazy how this seems to be Ubi's best thing to come out from them in who knows how long, and it's on such a lockdown.

The friends of mine that played the Alpha all said that they love the game to the point that they will buy it for sure.

They've put out a few videos here and there, yes, but nothing really that describes what the gameplay is about, just only what the setting is about. It's only after reading people talking about the Alpha here on GAF that I had any clue what the game would play like, and the Alpha was actually under NDA.

Oh well, hope the open beta is out soon so that I can at least check the game out from multiple perspectives on Twitch.

Not sure what the situation with posting leaks from the alpha is, but you can find a bunch if you really want to see it.

SomTervo

it's not revealing anything

es: 1:10 = every battle makes you stronger -> you gain exp and lvl

1:27 = every challenge will make you powerful -> loot and modding

it's an hype trailer

Sounds a lot like vacuous Destiny/MMO chat, immediately makes me disinterested. Gameplay looks OK but i can imagine not a whole lot beyond that, ala Destiny.

Philippo

Sorry, couldn't finish to watch it. I'm italian and the voiceover is too painful. If english is your native language, you can't even begin to understand how lucky you are (entertainement-wise).

Yep, usual doppiaggiodimerda VO...

Luckily most of today's games have English audio too.

IvanJ

Banned
damn..Arekkz video sold me on this one.

concept sounds really fun
Me too, Arekkz certainly earned his commission with that video.
I am currently prepared to buy the Gold edition.

However, I must resist. This is a game that has me see-sawing between DayOne and Never on an almost daily basis.
So, my next step is ordering from an online retailer for the beta code, than cancelling. I never buy physical games, 100% digital this gen.

I really hope this game is good, but a game with this many working parts plus the fact that it's Ubisoft...let's just say I'm skeptical about the end product.

IvanJ

Banned
Yeah, like she was reading the script as a punishment. Grew up on dubbed Italian TV, but I don't remember it ever being so depressing (but then again, I was much younger).

I hated the co-op with randoms in Left 4 Dead but love it in things like Destiny and WoW so hoping its more like the latter than the former.

Are the co-op missions sectioned off into 'strikes' or 'dungeons'?

Are there solo missions outside of that?

Is there matchmaking?

I hated the co-op with randoms in Left 4 Dead but love it in things like Destiny and WoW so hoping its more like the latter than the former.

Are the co-op missions sectioned off into 'strikes' or 'dungeons'?

Are there solo missions outside of that?

Is there matchmaking?

We don't know too much about other modes in the game, but we've been told about Dark Zones quite a bit. If you've played Destiny you could compare it to the Patrol missions. You take on a quest or bounty and head out into a Dead Zone. Dead Zone is where the more MMO-style gameplay comes in. In addition to the enemy factions wandering the area, there are also other players and squads doing their own thing. If you were to come across my squad while you were alone, we could help you out, but we could also kill you and take any loot you've acquired in the Dead Zone.

In order to keep your loot you'll have to extract it. Initiating an extraction has you firing a flare which can be seen by other players in the area, making it easy for them to come in and attempt to steal what you've got.

In addition to Dark Zones they've alluded to multi-team raids or dungeons, but haven't gone into specifics. You can progress the main story by yourself or with a team.

BigTnaples

Well this trailer was enough for me to preorder the Gold Edition on PS4 from Amazon.

Also just entered the beta on PC. That way I can play the beta on PC and check out what it looks like all maxed out and whatnot, then play on PS4 with friends when it releases.

We don't know too much about other modes in the game, but we've been told about Dark Zones quite a bit. If you've played Destiny you could compare it to the Patrol missions. You take on a quest or bounty and head out into a Dead Zone. Dead Zone is where the more MMO-style gameplay comes in. In addition to the enemy factions wandering the area, there are also other players and squads doing their own thing. If you were to come across my squad while you were alone, we could help you out, but we could also kill you and take any loot you've acquired in the Dead Zone.

In order to keep your loot you'll have to extract it. Initiating an extraction has you firing a flare which can be seen by other players in the area, making it easy for them to come in and attempt to steal what you've got.

In addition to Dark Zones they've alluded to multi-team raids or dungeons, but haven't gone into specifics. You can progress the main story by yourself or with a team.

I just watched the other video in this thread and it looks really cool.

I like games that have solo missions then missions that recommend matchmaking with others.

I feel that brings focus to said multiplayer missions and stops everyone acting like a dick.

Plus sometimes I just want to progress on my own but in missions that are outside of the recommended multiplayer ones.

It's quite a specific taste granted but Destiny nailed this aspect despite its other faults.

Eirulan

I'm torn between getting this for PS4 or PC.
I'd prefer PC because I have a very good gaming PC (980ti) and I'm a sucker for graphical fidelity.
I haven't played any Ubisoft/Uplay title multiplayer in years, could somebody tell me, how good is Ubisoft usually in countering cheating on PC in the MP sections of their games? I don't wanna buy the PC version and be confronted with aimbot kiddies all the times... So do you think it is more save to go with PS4 from my perspective..?

I'm torn between getting this for PS4 or PC.
I'd prefer PC because I have a very good gaming PC (980ti) and I'm a sucker for graphical fidelity.
I haven't played any Ubisoft/Uplay title multiplayer in years, could somebody tell me, how good is Ubisoft usually in countering cheating on PC in the MP sections of their games? I don't wanna buy the PC version and be confronted with aimbot kiddies all the times... So do you think it is more save to go with PS4 from my perspective..?

Cheating isn't an issue that ever enters my mind with any modern online PC games.

Top Bottom