• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Switch previews, screens, details

CaVaYeRo

So embargo just lifted for previews and assets. Here's mine with 24 screens I captured:

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/...ghter+II+The+Final+Challengers+-+impresiones/

(Spanish)

ultrastreetfighter_2092583b.jpg

ultrastreetfighter_2092793b.jpg

ultrastreetfighter_2092623b.jpg

ultrastreetfighter_2092783b.jpg

ultrastreetfighter_2092713b.jpg

Noticed a couple of things I hadn't heard of before. Loving the HUDless mode as it changes strategy somewhat, there's a Mario Kart-like replay mode which saves the script, there's local console vs console multiplayer. Also, on Buddy Battle you can recover life by taunting. There's 8 difficulty modes for arcade and it ofc includes endings for Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. It has HD rumble, but it's not too HD if you know what I mean. There's retro and remastered graphics, but also sounds.

What I found weird though is there's no car/barrels bonus in arcade mode, no tournament mode and no way to customize combat speed and damage...

And there's ofc the limitation with controls (no real d-pad plus the issue with Pro Controller's).

Anything you wanna know, feel free to ask.

Thanks. I am probably going to buy this but I am going to feel like a chump doing it.

I love me some Street Fighter and really want it on the Switch. I just wish it was Street Fighter IV.

So embargo just lifted for previews and assets. Here's mine with 24 screens I captured:

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/...ghter+II+The+Final+Challengers+-+impresiones/

(Spanish)

Noticed a couple of things I hadn't heard of before. Loving the HUDless mode as it changes strategy somewhat, there's a Mario Katt-like replay mode which saves the script, there's local console vs console multiplayer. Also, on Buddy Battle you can recover life by taunting. There's 8 difficulty modes for arcade and it ofc includes endings for Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. It has HD rumble, but it's not too HD if you know what I mean. There's retro and remastered graphics, but also sounds.

What I found weird though is there's no car/barrels bonus in arcade mode, no tournament mode and no way to customize combat speed and damage...

And there's ofc the limitation with controls (no real d-pad plus the issue with Pro Controller's).

Anything you wanna know, feel free to ask.

How are the "Way Of the Hado" and Dramatic Battle modes?

Jazzem

Something I'm still not clear on; can you play this with Super Turbo mechanics+balance? My interest in this mainly stems for wanting portable ST

Balb

How's the online play? Is there a "quarter-up" type mode where the winner goes on and faces the next person in queue?

CaVaYeRo

Can you choose speed? How fast can you go?

Nope, see OP :)

Re: Way of the Hado, my right Joy-Con is broken, but my colleague says it's better than expected, and you can adjust sensitivity. No game changer but kinda works.

I myself only played solo so Buddy Dramatic Mode isn't as fun as human co-op, will give it a try later.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What an odd omission, why the hell would they remove these..?

Maybe I made a mistake, but I preordered it when it dropped to 34€ on Amazon.fr.

Still seems like a really lazy effort from Capcom.

Still no comprehensive list of balance changes. No speed select, no bonus stages in arcade mode, hideous new artwork in the intro...

This looks terrible. :(

What's the reason this isn't full screen 16:9? looks like 15:9 (16:10?) aspect ratio or something.

Edit: Seems SF2 HD Remix for 360/PS3 was the same aspect ratio back in '08 so this ain't new at least.

i can't help but notice the Way of the Hado mode is using stuff from both SF4 and SF5

like Ryu and Bison models from the looks of things are from SF4 while the shadaloo lackeys are from SF5

What I found weird though is there's no car/barrels bonus in arcade mode
It's not weird. They weren't in the original SSFIIT either (or HD Remix).
Like the article says, it is weird, because this is supposed to be the definitive Street Fighter 2 experience, according to Capcom. It's not supposed to be SSFII Turbo, but something more. They brought back the car destruction for Super SFIV, so obviously it hasn't been removed from the series.

The Boat

I'm bad at SF, but I have to admit, I think I can play better with the Joy-cons "d-pad" than a regular one, at least I can pull a Shoryuken easier.

samred

No way I can speak to balance or tuning issues. But here are my impressions.

New voices as an option are weird. If you wanna hear the newly remixed music, which is quite good, you have to leave new voices on. So that sucks.

Way of the Hadoken is BROKEN. My Switch would simply not read the input for thrusting my hands forward while turning my wrists 90 degrees. I'd go into its battles and have my moves continually not register, and then the game would auto-pause and demand I do the tutorial. No, you idiots, I did the tutorial. That's not the problem. Your sensing protocol is.

But I actually like the Joy-Con d-pad for some move input, I am surprised to find. I can put two fingers on it and immediately press back then forwards in a pinch, for example. I think a lot of people will be surprised by exactly how it feels. Probably not going to be ideal, but don't write it off as utter shit, either.

Joy-Con in sideways mode is super hard to recommend. I actually didn't mind the joystick for a quick bit of fighting, but Capcom really dropped the ball here: you have to manually retune your control mapping if you have R/ZR as your heavy punch/heavy kick buttons in normal play. It doesn't let you have a separate single Joy-Con control mapping option. It just thinks you're missing ZL/ZR for some reason. Boneheaded, Capcom.

Online doesn't turn on until release day. That always goes well.

The game is huge to install, and I think a lot of the data is in the incredibly high-res scan of an out-of-print art book dedicated to the series (including Zero/Alpha/3/Puzzle/4 concept art, as well). Holy crap. This Japanese only book is full of amazing scans... but Capcom warns users that the team didn't bother translating the book's Japanese captions for anyone else. Enjoy the purty pitchers, that's it. (Seriously. It's a helluva book.)

And as others said...... no car or barrel stage?? It's such an odd omission.

moeman

Were the mini games in the HD Remix version? What an odd omission.

Edit: someone answered it earlier. Nvm. Wish they would add them in though. They were always fun little diversions.

Were the mini games in the HD Remix version? What an odd omission.
No, because HD Remix was supposed to be a direct port of the arcade SSF2 Turbo, which didn't have them. This, however, is supposed to be the best version of SF2, so it should have them.

Top Bottom