• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Switch previews, screens, details

It's been said before no doubt but the HD Remix artwork is fucking amateur hour. Like basic figure-drawing stance and proportion errors. It's crazy the art is so bad on a release like this, when that's one of the big selling points.
It's because the artist had to trace over the original sprite work, frame by frame. Not much he could do about that.

His name is Long Vo aka vostalgic. Look up his work.

Cepheus

As nice as this looks (sprite colour edit mode will be great), I would have preferred it if they just ported Hyper Street Fighter 2 to the Switch instead, with online, and just replaced the 15th Anniversary splash screen with a 30th Anniversary one.

3rd Strike would be great but I would not be able to get used to playing it with the joycons. Is there a way to use PS3 sticks on the Switch?

Yukinari

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this move a ton of copies. Everyone already owns Zelda and MK8. What the fuck else are you going to buy?

Im still just waiting for Bomberman to drop lower in price. Theres some switch games i want to buy but its not happening right now.

Mengetsu

The hands-ons have been pretty positive about the remixes, do you have a link to a video or something where we can hear the new remixes?
I'm just going by the video showing off the special moves. I just don't like it personally. I'm super picky when it comes to remixed music.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 [Switch] - Every Super Combo & Stage Gameplay (Direct-Feed Switch) - https://youtu.be/v5YLiThwh74

groansey

It's because the artist had to trace over the original sprite work, frame by frame. Not much he could do about that.

A lot of his other stuff looks off to me, and Google images suggests he focuses on shoulder-up portraits, which is a dead giveaway when someone finds full anatomy difficult. But tracing the original sprites won't have helped.

radcliff

I don't know why, but it irks me that the player portraits, health bar, and player names aren't pixilated when playing with pixel graphics. Still super excited for this, but it seems like a weird design choice.

Pre-ordered and ready for some SF II on the Switch. $31.99 with Prime for Portable SFII is absolutely worth it to me. My daughter loves fighting games as well, so being able to switch to easy mode with the touch screen special moves is a nice addition. Although, she may not need it. She fired up my SNES last year and got all the way to M. Bison on Street Fighter II before throwing in the towel. But I was extremely impressed considering she was only 6, and it was set to normal difficulty (she even got a round on him several times).

Link_enfant

I don't know why, but it irks me that the player portraits, health bar, and player names aren't pixilated when playing with pixel graphics. Still super excited for this, but it seems like a weird design choice.
Same. Although it's still better than HD Remix's retro graphics option, which only applies to characters' sprites and not even the stage. The sprites looked really weird with that setting so USFII is pretty fine in comparison.

Composer

I just can't get over how bad the graphics look. It honestly looks like some of those C-grade fighters on Steam/PS Store or mobile games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wtb a video that actually talks about the gameplay, the speed, and the balance changes.

So far it's just a bunch of videos saying 1st person mode sucks. You get two new characters in Violent versions. Oh and well yeah I've been playing arcade mode without actually commenting on the gameplay.

I don't think it's even the style so much they were forced to maintain the same low, previously hardware constrained, number of frames so it looks incredibly jarring

The Hermit

Yeahhhh so close.

I still don't know if I should buy physical or digital, especially since it will take about a week or more to have the physical version here.

Neither of those two are on the Switch though. I guess they're hoping Switch owners are thirsty for games.

I think it's more by design.

Nintendo want to reignite the retro vibe and love of local multiplayer within gamers with sequels to long time classics like Zelda, Mario Kart, Bomberman and Street Fighter 2, the latter 3 of which focus heavily on local multiplayer gaming.

Another brilliant choice would be NBA Jam.

Just from pure observation and opinion, to me the Hado mode is only good for getting MT Framework on Switch ASAP and hopefully means more stuff's coming soon, but that's just me lol. :p

Could be a neat thing, doesn't seem like anything uber amazing or anything. I only played one of the OG SNES releases, not terribly interested in it right now. Personally I would've preferred Ultra Street Fighter IV on Switch. :p

I still believe an Ultra Street Fighter 3 would have been the better choice. The world is ready to embrace that game with open arms.

leroidys

This just feels like such a missed opportunity to not make a real ultimate version of SF2. If I had any self control, I wouldn't be buying it.

Neff

Wow, this sounds shit.

No speed change is a purchase killer, and a large install for an artbook I don't want only sours the deal.

I was in, I even bought the yens in advance, but now I'm out.

gafneo

Banned
I played some of this on Xbox 360 to compare versions. HD graphics are identical. I think the only differences are the colors, hud, and classic graphics. For some reason new game let's you switch to old graphics in full while Xbox 360 HD Remix only lets you play with classic sprites while background remains HD. Other than that we are paying an extra $20 for the 2 minute motion control mini game.

gafneo

Banned
I still believe an Ultra Street Fighter 3 would have been the better choice. The world is ready to embrace that game with open arms.
Capcom is doing the same thing they did to Re on PS4. SF games are releasing in order. Iron Galaxy already remastered SF3. It's going to sell for $40 on Switch. Then comes Ultra SF4.

Wow, this sounds shit.

No speed change is a purchase killer, and a large install for an artbook I don't want only sours the deal.

OMG is this...true? What a huge omission!
So disappointed to hear that.

Still no comprehensive list of balance changes. No speed select, no bonus stages in arcade mode, hideous new artwork in the intro...

This looks terrible. :(

Maybe they nerfed OG Sagat.

Oh, wait... There is no OG Sagat. In fact, there is no OG anybody.

It's what I recall from a previous thread, it's not a fact I've verified personally.

OMG is this...true? What a huge omission!
So disappointed to hear that.

I keep seeing this. Is the speed what is considered to be the "right" speed by international tournament standards? not being able to adjust it would be fine, in that case, because being able to change the speed was a dip switch in the arcade game anyway.

The Hermit

Wow, this sounds shit.

While not a purchase killer to me, it's is a big blow in the competitive scene.

What's wrong with Capcom and Ono when only releasing parts of games and lack of options, especially street fighter.

Still, I think this will sell a lot.

This just feels like such a missed opportunity to not make a real ultimate version of SF2.

Agreed.

Although Hyper Street Fighter II (the Anniversary Edition released on PS2/360) is pretty close to the ultimate version: no loading, no missing animation frames/etc, could choose all versions of every character, etc.

The only thing missing was the ability to choose arcade perfect versions of the individual games (like the Alpha collection), and perhaps some more extras (like an extensive selection of "fun" dip switches, for example)... and other trivia, since Street Fighter II has a rich history.

Top Bottom