• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Switch previews, screens, details

Online play is pretty much the sole reason why I'm getting this game. I'd like to know if it's garbage and obviously there's nothing you guys can do if it's unavailable in review copies, pre-launch, but it still feels like the reviews are incomplete. I hope this wasn't a case of Capcom holding back the online play because it's broken or crappy.

Them holding back this long isn't a good sign.

The Eurogamer review comparing the game's price to SFV is a bit disingenuous considering that SFV has microtransactions, and it's £15 because of its age and the demand falling beneath supply at release.

Would have been better to compare it to the NEO GEO classics, which are also on Switch and a better buy for fighting game fans.

That's good to know. This being a non-Nintendo release, the likelihood of a price bomba is that much greater.

Will be interesting to see for sure. Both Lego City and Puyo Puyo Tetris (and Super Bomberman R) have maintained their price point since launch, it seems publishers tend to err on the side of caution and only print as many copies as they need to, before replenishing stock after selling out.

I can see the same happening with this (it's already sold out on Amazon US).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Would have been better to compare it to the NEO GEO classics, which are also on Switch and a better buy for fighting game fans.

The Arcade Archives titles are pretty bare bones, though,being strictly based on the MVS versions. So no dedicated multiplayer, training, or other home modes, in addition to the lack of online play. But they also cost a hell of lot less.

Seik

Banned
So the main negative seems to be the value proposition, which makes the asking price for it way too high.

I'm still in though, I'm an assumed sucker for anything SF though. :p

I can get Street Fighter V for $20 bucks from multiple outlets right now according to Google, and it's the highest quality fighter this generation. The price comparison is definitely justified, and this is coming from someone that feels Street Fighter is the only franchise that can stand next to Mario (or non Nintendo franchises) and keep it's chin up.

Platy

The game that defined a genre
Some of the best games of it's generation
With more modes
More characters

Wait for a sale

With more modes
More characters

Wait for a sale

Yes.

If Nintendo released Super Mario Bros 3 (from the Super Mario All-Stars collection) with an additional Switch motion control mode and the ability to play Wario and Waluigi for $40, I would not recommend that as a reviewer.

Your personal value proposition is up to you.

Platy

Yes.

If Nintendo released Super Mario Bros 3 (from the Super Mario All-Stars collection) with an additional Switch motion control mode and the ability to play Wario and Waluigi for $40, I would not recommend that as a reviewer.

I agree with that .... my point is more how value ridiculously decrease with time

killatopak

Gold Member
Is it me or is the HD background look worse than the OG? The smoothing in it makes it look bad for me for some reason.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yes.

To be fair, the value behind this street comes more competitive gaming: online VS (as opposed to Neo Geo games), and on the go VS (as opposed to previous Street Fighter games). Still too expensive at list price, I'm buying it at 32€ and I still wish it was cheaper. But I value this nostalgia more than most, being born in 1976, having bought Street Fighter 2 with a SNES import adapter in a London trip, months before it released in France. This is a game that cemented relationships with my friends, and it must have been 2 decades since I last played it. I'm in the Capcom target audience for this one.

With more modes
More characters

Wait for a sale

It is kinda funny how people see things nowadays. This might be the definitive version of the most classic fighting game of all time but it's not worth 40 bucks to most people.

Jazzem

I wonder how the AI is in this, going back to HD Remix I'm shocked how difficult it is...even on easy <_< Damn turtling Ryu

Lyte Edge

It is kinda funny how people see things nowadays. This might be the definitive version of the most classic fighting game of all time but it's not worth 40 bucks to most people.

All signs point to that remaining the original Super Turbo.

Anne

It's not. They changed a whole lot of shit. There is added latency. It looks worse. The input system is a lot different in general for some reason.

Super Turbo will always be the definitive version, and there hasn't been a truly great port of it unfortunately :<

We had an arcade full of ST players last night messing with it, some been playing since 91, and everybody just laughed at it. For $40 it's a ripoff of a pretty meh version of a game.

qko

Looks like Amazon just shipped mine. They promised it would ship on the 24th to arrive on Friday, and so decided to ship it at the last possible minute. Tbh I never preordered this one to play on day one, but nice to know I won't have to wait til Monday like most Switch games they've shipped.

ramparter

Banned
Mario 64 DS had a lot more stars to collect than the original, along with new playable characters AND additional (some addicting) mini-games.
And multiplayer even though original was single player only plus SM64 was 9 years old then, SF2 is 20+.

still controls sucked

KHlover

Banned
With more modes
More characters

Wait for a sale
A slightly expanded version of a port that sold for 15 bucks over a decade ago for almost 3x the price.

Wait.for.a.sale

Lyte Edge

Just got this off of the Japanese eShop. It doesn't run in English, surprisingly- just Japanese and Chinese language options are available. No problem for me, but just a warning to anyone who might import, which I'm sure is probably nobody else, lol.

The HD Remix graphics look pretty nice on the Switch screen. Very colorful and bright, although some of the character outlines are a little 'jagged'. Guess it was a little difficult to scale down all the way. I'm sure it's fine when docked. Not too keen on the CPS2 sprite option, because it's very, very pixelated and there are no filtering options available. Boo, hiss. Scanlines would have been nice.

I got a chance to try online briefly. Found no one in the player match side, but got a ranked match against a player in Japan. Considering the distance and the one bar connection, it ran pretty smoothly, so maybe there's hope for the online after all.

How do I select custom colors? I see no option to do so on the select screen.

kingbean

Just got this off of the Japanese eShop. It doesn't run in English, surprisingly- just Japanese and Chinese language options are available. No problem for me, but just a warning to anyone who might import, which I'm sure is probably nobody else, lol.

The HD Remix graphics look pretty nice on the Switch screen. Very colorful and bright, although some of the character outlines are a little 'jagged'. Guess it was a little difficult to scale down all the way. I'm sure it's fine when docked. Not too keen on the CPS2 sprite option, because it's very, very pixelated and there are no filtering options available. Boo, hiss. Scanlines would have been nice.

I got a chance to try online briefly. Found no one in the player match side, but got a ranked match against a player in Japan. Considering the distance and the one bar connection, it ran pretty smoothly, so maybe there's hope for the online after all.

Really wish I saw it didn't have English earlier. I just wasted my money. My own fault I guess.

kevm3

It's strange, but I prefer the slightly dirty/gritty look of older pixel art to the really clean hd sprites.

NateDrake

Color Editor below the Gallery option. You can set custom color designs there.

Tangeroo

It's strange, but I prefer the slightly dirty/gritty look of older pixel art to the really clean hd sprites.

That's actually the general consensus. The new art is pretty bad and looks insanely choppy despite being identical frame-wise. With pixels, your brain is able to fill in the blanks. With the HD artwork, the lack of frames is jarring.

kingbean

I prefer the classic style as well.

It's just SF2 though so probably not a big deal?

Oh yeah. Playing it is fine but it's just a matter if fiddling around until I find the options I want. Like I want to put fierce punch and kick on R and RZ.

I'd also like to know the difference between lite and pro control options.

NateDrake

I prefer the classic style as well.

Oh yeah. Playing it is fine but it's just a matter if fiddling around until I find the options I want. Like I want to put fierce punch and kick on R and RZ.

I'd also like to know the difference between lite and pro control options.

Lite - Special Moves and Normal Moves can be assigned to buttons.
Pro - only Normal Moves can be assigned to buttons.

Sapiens

Outside of banking and university software, is there any other source code that has been repurposed more than SF2, which was likely written in 1990-1991?

The older sprites were created by professionals who put a lot of time and care into them. The new hand drawn sprites were outsourced to north korea and based on unused character designs from totally spies and whatever udon could trace from old cacpcom artwork.

kingbean

Lite - Special Moves and Normal Moves can be assigned to buttons.
Pro - only Normal Moves can be assigned to buttons.

Thanks. I'll be keeping it on pro mode then.

I'll look for a video of someone going through the options so I can have a reference of what it all says. Trying to look at the move list was a pain the ass. I know I shouldnt have too but I couldn't get Akuma's raging demon to come out... Still can't actually.

I'm scrub tier.

Lyte Edge

Thanks. I'll be keeping it on pro mode then.

I'll look for a video of someone going through the options so I can have a reference of what it all says. Trying to look at the move list was a pain the ass. I know I shouldnt have too but I couldn't get Akuma's raging demon to come out... Still can't actually.

I'm scrub tier.

I can do a quick n' dirty translation for you. Anything you need to know specifically?

I couldn't do the raging demon either. Which is weird since all the other moves come out (surprisingly) with ease on the Switch controller. They definitely made inputs easier.

Lyte Edge

To start--

MAIN MENU
-----------------
Arcade
Buddy FIght
Versus
Network
Training
Way Of The Hado
Gallery
Color Edit
Player Data
Game Manual
Options

Options:
-----------
Graphics/Music And Voice Mode Change
Theme/Border Change
Controller Config
Sound Volume Adjustment
Screen Settings
Language Settings
Title Settings
Flag Settings

Character names (Note that the Bison = Boxer, Balrog = Claw, and Vega = Dictator):
H0zA0pK.jpg

aaaaaa

I wonder how the AI is in this, going back to HD Remix I'm shocked how difficult it is...even on easy <_< Damn turtling Ryu

Super Turbo arcade had ridiculous AI difficulty and the classic version on HDR kept it in. The remixed game on HDR has easier AI difficulty.

Manac0r

Ha £34.99??

You wish - I just bought a 8bitdo SF30 - £29.99 and a FC30 Pro and will be buying USF2 tomorrow upon release.... whose laughing now Nintendo/Capcom?? Huh? huh?

P.S It's them by the way..all the way to the bank. I am such a sucker but playing Sf2 with a Snes pad on my Switch ... priceless.

Super Turbo arcade had ridiculous AI difficulty and the classic version on HDR kept it in. The remixed game on HDR has easier AI difficulty.

Correction: The US version of Super Turbo has the crazy difficulty. The Japanese version was not the same and the difficulty selector actually meant something to arcade ops.

Doctre81

It's not. They changed a whole lot of shit. There is added latency. It looks worse. The input system is a lot different in general for some reason.

Super Turbo will always be the definitive version, and there hasn't been a truly great port of it unfortunately :<

We had an arcade full of ST players last night messing with it, some been playing since 91, and everybody just laughed at it. For $40 it's a ripoff of a pretty meh version of a game.

???

Richie

I just wasted my money. My own fault I guess.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but shouldn't you be able to delete the game and redownload it from the American/European eShop for free tomorrow, thus receiving English? I've heard many who bought a game in one region, swapped to another, and the game they bought appeared on their list of purchased ones.

Not one review has said anything about added latency, nor the hands-on where they got a bunch of high level tournament players to try it out. Are you sure this isn't just a placebo effect, people expecting it to be bad so thinking it is?

Lyte Edge

Still can't figure out how to choose custom colors. Anyone?

More online impressions:

-Didn't HD Remix have lobbies and tournament mode options? This game has none of that, so it's actually kind of bare bones compared to HD Remix. You just have ranked and player matches with two man lobbies. That's it.

-Thankfully, much like with SSF4 3D Edition, you can filter out players using Lite mode controls.

-Had decent or good quality connections with some Japanese players and with a guy in the UK. Had an absolutely dreadful match with someone in Australia and someone somewhere in Asia. This is on wireless, BTW.

-Already seen some Violent Ken shenanigans. That teleport dash is too good. This guy easily got through everything I did with Chun like it was nothing. But I switched to Gouki and perfected him...because of those air fireballs.

-Am I doing something wrong with teching throws? I swear it's not working consistently in this game.

Did they change any of these commands, Lyte? Chun's lightning legs, Honda's hands, Cammy's Hooligan Combination

It's been too long since I played Super Turbo and HD Remix. Chun and Honda's movesets look the same. Cammy's hooligans are the easier style, though- HCF to start, which is how it was in HD Remix, IIRC.

It's also so WEIRD hearing SFV voices in this game, lol.

Lyte Edge

OK, got custom colors down. Looks like there's an option to register them under the save option. That's what I get for having pre-school level kanji reading skills.

kingbean

To start--

MAIN MENU
-----------------
Arcade
Buddy FIght
Versus
Network
Training
Way Of The Hado
Gallery
Color Edit
Player Data
Game Manual
Options

Options:
-----------
Graphics/Music And Voice Mode Change
Theme/Border Change
Controller Config
Sound Volume Adjustment
Screen Settings
Language Settings
Title Settings
Flag Settings

Character names (Note that the Bison = Boxer, Balrog = Claw, and Vega = Dictator):

Whoa thanks! That's really awesome.

Edit: Richie I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Top Bottom