• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U accessories, Nintendo Land + Wiimote, and White 32GB Wii U announced

Uhm, ya'll can get a Nyko Power Pak right now from GameStop for $25. Was playing AC3 last night and got 7 hours for it to reach 2 bars, right out of the box with no charging. Brightness at 3, rumble off, power save on. Heard combining U-Boost with it can give you 15-20.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are either the nyko or official batteries announced for European release? Nyko is a little expensive to import

The_Lump

Banned
This is exactly right. A bunch of people called this coming bullshit as soon as pics of the gamepad battery compartment were posted online. Nintendo purposely left extra space to accommodate a future larger battery that they could sell as an upgrade. Fuck them.

Or they just wanted to keep the weight down as standard, with the option to expand later.

Taker666

Is the Nyko battery the same "type" as the official ones (other than power)?

Scrapping the basic is wise (nobody really wants it). I'm assuming the premium will drop to the basic price when this launches..maybe with another drop in the US come November if the Yen stay weak.

Shaanyboi

Banned
While on paper, the Nyko battery is clearly better, I'll wait to see reviews and performance reports from users as to which one to get. Third party hardware can still be sketchy, and I'd rather my battery not crap out after just a short time...

But yeah. Fuck Nintendo for this battery drama. Cheaping out on the initial launch and expecting users to pay the bill to fix it.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm going to sell my premium Wii U then buy a hopefully white Mario Kart bundle later this year.

Any idea what you can ask for a second hand Wii U now?

Robin64

The Wiimote charging cradle is long overdue, but it looks to be moulded for people who wear those silly jackets, as Nintendo insist we all do. I would hope that a naked Wiimote sits nicely in there too.

Nintendo should make that battery part of an ambassador program. I'm not usually as cranky about Nintendo "cheaping out" as a lot of people seem to be, but shortchanging the battery life on a controller positioned as the centerpiece of a new console is shitty any way you slice it.

JimboJones

I swear there was something about Nintendo not wanting people to use rechargeable batteries for some reason. I also recall some hypothesis based on anecdotal evidence about rechargeable batteries sometimes screwing up the motion controls because they weren't giving the remote enough juice. Maybe it was true?

I have been using rechargable batteries in my wiiremotes since 2006 and continue to use them on wiiu (same wii remotes too) and never experienced any issues. The only thing I noticed was the battery indicater drops to 3 bars quicker, that might have somthing to do with the 1.2V vs the 1.5V in normal one use batteries. Overall though battery life usually lasts just as long as standard batteries.

I remember the manuals in the GBC/GBA saying to avoid using them too but there was never any problems when I used them.

andthebeatgoeson

While on paper, the Nyko battery is clearly better, I'll wait to see reviews and performance reports from users as to which one to get. Third party hardware can still be sketchy, and I'd rather my battery not crap out after just a short time...

But yeah. Fuck Nintendo for this battery drama. Cheaping out on the initial launch and expecting users to pay the bill to fix it.
Pretty much. This should have been standard at launch. I should get an ambassador program for this console. Like all my Wii vc games upgraded to Wii u vc games for free.

Surfheart

This is exactly right. A bunch of people called this coming bullshit as soon as pics of the gamepad battery compartment were posted online. Nintendo purposely left extra space to accommodate a future larger battery that they could sell as an upgrade. Fuck them.

I'm with you guys on this! The battery life of the Wiipad offends me with it's tiny size!

L.O.R.D

img_gamepad_battery_fig.png

the old battery take 3-5 hours
the new one take 5-8 hours

how much nyko battery last ?

Ein Bear

Wii remote charger is long overdue, shame it looks like it'll ruin the look of my gold Wiimote though.

Have I missed a mini-Nintendo Direct today or something? We seem to have a lot of Nintendo announcement threads.

ec0ec0

people... we DONT want smash or mario kart for wii u this year. why? because, in that case, they would be rushed as shit.

I don't think it was this, as much as it was them just being cheap with the launch hardware.

Top Bottom