• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WiiU Bundle coming?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, is that Wind Walker bundle real? And is the "torso" of the console blue but the face is white...?

I'm sure they are taking back all inventory in order to outfit the hardware with 32GB flash and re-release them as Deluxe Sets. It's far more cost-effective than letting all the retailers initiate a fire sale and lose all the perfectly good inventory that could be retrofitted and resold. They can also update all hardware to the latest firmware for a better out-of-box experience.

I'm thinking two SKUs - Deluxe 32GB either in White or Black at either $279 or $299 with game pack-in by fall.

CDX

• Get rid of the Basic model
  • Remove Nintendo Land from the Bundle, sell it separately with a WiiMote
  • Bundle with NSMBU and really push NSLU hard as a post purchase upsell, or I could also see a Mario Kart bundle being a possibility.
  • Drop the price to $299 ...maybe $279, I REALLY doubt they'll drop it all the way down to $249

Plus add to that games getting a better less barren release schedule this fall and holiday season. All of that should improve sales quite a bit, don't know if it'll be enough, but it certainly can't get any worse.

Somnid

• Remove Nintendo Land from the Bundle, sell it separately with a WiiMote
  • Bundle with NSMBU and really push NSLU hard as a post purchase upsell, or I could also see a Mario Kart bundle being a possibility.

I'd just remove Nintendoland from retail and pack it in every box, as a digital if possible. That's just the easiest thing to do and it's a better marketing tool than a sales one I think.

Also putting in NSMBU is not a good idea because Nintendoland is a much better fit. But even then the smarter thing to do would be to pack in NSLU. This not only fits the year of Luigi theme but the perception of the game is similar and it's newer but from a retail standpoint costs Nintendo far less. They can then upsell NSMBU at a full $60 rather than NSLU at $20-30.

Izick

I will buy a Windwaker bundle for sure. Sold.

With that, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, SSB Wii U, new 3D Mario, and Retro's game all on the horizon, I think by the time the WW bundle comes out I'll be more than on-board.

CDX

I'd just remove Nintendoland from retail and pack it in every box, as a digital if possible. That's just the easiest thing to do and it's a better marketing tool than a sales one I think.

Yeah, but if NoA follows Japan who already announced the Nintendo Land WiiMote package, I doubt they'll still pack in Nintendo Land. If they're trying to turn Nintendo Land into a "Wii Play" type package.
iM25gIKl.png

Instead of Nintendo Land they could preload Game & Wario. Those Game & Wario mini games were originally planned to be preloaded and included with the Wii U instead of Nintendo Land, until Nintendo changed their minds and decided to make Game & Wario a full retail title.

Also putting in NSMBU is not a good idea because Nintendoland is a much better fit. But even then the smarter thing to do would be to pack in NSLU. This not only fits the year of Luigi theme but the perception of the game is similar and it's newer but from a retail standpoint costs Nintendo far less. They can then upsell NSMBU at a full $60 rather than NSLU at $20-30.
Yeah, they also could pack in Luigi and upsell NSMBU.

Yeah, but if NoA follows Japan who already announced the Nintendo Land WiiMote package, I doubt they'll still pack in Nintendo Land. If they're trying to turn Nintendo Land into a "Wii Play" type package.

Instead of Nintendo Land they could preload Game & Wario. Those Game & Wario mini games were originally planned to be preloaded and included with the Wii U instead of Nintendo Land, until Nintendo changed their minds and decided to make Game & Wario a full retail title.

Yeah, they also could pack in Luigi and upsell NSMBU.
Any packin should be a thing that will move consoles. Game and wario isn't a system seller.

It would be stupid to pack in NSMBU since everyone who buys a WiiU ends up buying that game anyway. They should definitely have a core 32gb model for 250 or 300. Available in both colors. None of this BS where you have to pay more to get black.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Game and Wario doesn't make sense to me as a pack in. Mario is the only good choice right now to replace Nintendoland. He's the familiar face the masses know, and in the current climate where Nintendo desperately needs to move hardware, he's the guy you need bundled with the system.

If they aren't doing Mario, then Mariokart is a MUST. That's the one other family friendly franchise, consumers know and love, that can move tons of systems. Considering we don't even know if Mariokart is releasing this year, I'm going to stick with NSMBU as the bundle. Possibly with a free bonus Luigi DLC download.

FireVoa

Not surprising, the Basic is just hands down a waste on shelves. I just got the Zombie U bundle the other day and the extra $40 for that bundle is well worth the price of admission.

I'm sticking at my $199 price point

until it hits that I'm not buying, there are things I really like about the WiiU but there's also not much that compels me to get out there and buy one like my burning desire to buy a PS4 (maybe not day 1 but in the first few months of PS4 life).

Plus I don't have much free time gaming wise with a Vita, 3ds, PC and PS3 taking any game time that I have. Where the hell do I fit a WiiU in there is my real issue.

The pad itself probably costs that much to make. BTW I wonder what the manufacturing costs of the system v. the pad are. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs Nintendo more to manufacture the pad than the hardware.

i would buy a green luigi wii u bundle

Yep, and I'm also in the camp that believes bundling NSLU will be a better sell and more appealing than NSMU. For one, NSMU will be a year old in 5 months while NSLU is new. Also, we have had 4 games in the NSM franchise. NSL may play the same as NSM, but the title alone will have more people buzzing. "Luigi has his own platformer now? Hell yeah Luigi! Let's get that shit." or however trendy teens talk....

Also, the bundle needs to be $249.99

The pad itself probably costs that much to make. BTW I wonder what the manufacturing costs of the system v. the pad are. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs Nintendo more to manufacture the pad than the hardware.

No. The estimate from Chipworks for the MCM put it somewhere around the $100 mark, IIRC. I'd imagine that will turn out to be the most expensive component. I can't see the GamePad being more than $50-odd - it's a pricey component, but not that pricey.

Top Bottom