• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Footage

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wonder if the reviews for this game will match the current score of 95 on Meta for the old version.

Anyone know when the embargo drops?

Shortly. Less than 24 hours.
My dilemma in terms of score is exactly that. How to compare it to the original?
Clearly the OP was more important back in the days but which should be the score thinking, for example, to those who still haven't played the game? They are in for probably the best dungeon experience if their Zelda life, the crispiest looking Zelda if all time so far, the most epic Zelda game ever with tweaks that make the experience better than the OP version.
And still, I considered TP a masterpiece 10 year ago while I wouldn't call TP HD in that way.

I am not so good un reviewing hd remasters probably :p

TheJoRu

I wonder if the reviews for this game will match the current score of 95 on Meta for the old version.

Nah. The quality of the base game will make sure it gets good scores, and I'm guessing the controls will get high praise, but there'll be a lot of "great choice for those who never played it, but little new for veterans" and plenty of niggles about lack of lighting improvements and identical music. All valid critiques, of course.

I'm predicting somewhere between 85-87.

Mory Dunz

Nope, since the game is old.
It's interesting in a way that if you remaster a game really soon, like TLOU or GTA5, it would actually perform better on MC than remastering an old game.

I suppose the thinking is, this game came out last year, but this new version has improvements, so now the MC can't be lower than before.

Basically reviewers can't say "X game doesn't hold up" if X game just came out last year and got 90s across the board. With that reasoning, would a 3D World remaster or Smash 4 remaster with all the DLC have to get like a 96 Meta?? To keep in line with that thinking?

I don't think I like a review system that advantages remasters of year old games tbh.

but eh, at the end of the day it's just reviews.

maxcriden

Shortly. Less than 24 hours.
My dilemma in terms of score is exactly that. How to compare it to the original?
Clearly the OP was more important back in the days but which should be the score thinking, for example, to those who still haven't played the game? They are in for probably the best dungeon experience if their Zelda life, the crispiest looking Zelda if all time so far, the most epic Zelda game ever with tweaks that make the experience better than the OP version.
And still, I considered TP a masterpiece 10 year ago while I wouldn't call TP HD in that way.

I am not so good un reviewing hd remasters probably :p

No, I think you make all good points here. ☺Deciding how to score in this circumstance is going to be tough. But I think ultimately I would be in favor of scoring it as a standalone game as much as possible because chances are this will be the version people look to as the definitive one in the future when considering checking out the game. In that sense I think it's most fair nas much as possible to judge it on its merits as a Zelda game and as a videogame in general. I can see how that would be tough to parse outbas a reviewer for sure, though!

(And one other quick thought--I realize you will want to address how the game stands up for returning players and what kind of value proposition it holds, but I contend that as long as it's not egregiously overpriced or lacking in content or changes (which we already objectively know is mostly arguably not the case) for a sub-full priced game, I think that aspect of the review can be primarily addressed in words and left out of the score in a case like this, again unless the value itself for what the game offers is egregiously poor or notably excellent to the point where it should strongly affect the score.)

(With the caveat that prices drop all the time for games over time, though usually less so for Nintendo games, so price isba bigger factor with Nintendo games than other games though it all evens out a bit for those who want a game at launch, between generalized
industry pricing structure and moderately easily found online and offline discounts for games.)

Really excited this comes out already this week and can't wait to see the reviews. I'm hoping the remaster quality is as great as The Wind Waker was.

Qwyjibo

Is the included amiibo going to be "limited" in availability? Or will Nintendo pump them out separately after the game's release?

I want the game but have zero interest in amiibos but not sure if this one will have any value for re-selling.

psychotron

Paid off my pre-order. Was debating it because the next two months are saturated with game releases. I'm a sucker for Zelda though, so bring it on.

Tookay

Anyone know when the embargo drops?

It won't.

It's almost guaranteed that the post-2006 criticism of the game is going to get worked into the remaster's reviews.

Lightning

Banned
Looks alright. I definitely recommend the game for anyone who hasn't played it, this should be the definitive version for sure. But as someone who's played it before I find there to be too little to be excited about.
Looking forward to playing the hero difficulty more than anything else. That should be fun and hopefully make the game somewhat challenging.

TheMoon

Is the included amiibo going to be "limited" in availability? Or will Nintendo pump them out separately after the game's release?

I want the game but have zero interest in amiibos but not sure if this one will have any value for re-selling.

Wolf Link is available separately in EU and JP already. NA will follow with 100% certainty. Nothing stays bundle exclusive. Just a matter of time. Or just import.

Peltz

I forgot I had this preordered.

Will Best Buy email me when my order is shipped? I never ordered from them before.

Top Bottom