• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

I become breathless, every time I read a thread title that has the words "New" and "Zelda U/NX". I see my life flash before my eyes and wonder how this piece of information is going to affect my future. I am going to have a heart attack when the game actually arrives.

That is pretty sad.
But I'm assuming this is a parody.

At this point I feel like there's a 50/50 shot the game is just called 'The Legend of Zelda'. They've only ever called it that, never hinted that they might reveal a longer name. It'd be crazy, but this is the company that released 'Super Smash Bros. for Wii U'.
God I hate self-titled albums that aren't the first one.

rhandino

Banned
The art keeps looking great.

God, I am tempted to ask a day at work to bathe in the glory of the new trailers/gameplay.

Blues1990

It'll be an additional discount on top of the regular discount.

Oh, sweet! Finally, something that's being offered that is practical!

This also cements that Link won't be wearing the classic green tunic as the default outfit, as it's instead just a hood.

They've shown the game a total of three times and now with this artwork, and have never shown the traditional outfit. When have they ever teased or revealed a Zelda game with just his pre-tunic outfit?

Frankly, I'm thankful for the change.

BRING ON THE NEW HOTNESS

the-legend-of-zelda-wii-u-link.jpg

I always preferred Link wearing blue over green (along with ditching that stupid sock hat), so I'm so down with this new approach being the status quo for this adventure.

Nibel

Here guys I changed some things and created a - what I think - good, modern look for the male Link version, what do you think

T9Ag7zh.png

maxcriden

I can think of 2 possible reasons:

1. This game is so far into the future of the Zelda timeline that the legend of the Hero is more or less forgotten, perhaps he finds the tunic later in the game in some ancient ruins?

2. This game is actually treated as a reboot of the series, sorta like a re-imagining of Zelda 1. Maybe there is no green tunic at all?

Love the first idea. I could see that being it. Honestly, that idea could slot in to a bunch of places on the timeline as far as I understand it. There are indeterminable gaps of time between some of the timeline placements, so civilization could forget the Hero of Legend in one of those intervals as well.

As usual, that is some beautiful promotional artwork.

But with regards to this:

What exactly does it mean for earning a "special bonus"? So far, they haven't exactly offered anything special on My Nintendo, so this is incredibly disconcerting.

It'll be an additional discount on top of the regular discount.

I believe it could be this, but if that were it I would think it's possible they'd want to highlight that specifically. So it could just be bonus coins or another (presumably digital) bonus. Maybe buy a game in the sale, get a select digital game free? That seems too complicated, though. So I suspect it's extra coins, a digital good like a free theme, or a discount as you said.

Btw everybody read this part.

June 15

Nintendo Treehouse: Live – Day 2: Starting at 10 a.m. PT, the Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming will showcase upcoming Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, including Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. The day will start with a special Pokémon GO developer Q&A. Watch all of Nintendo’s action from the E3 show floor via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on...

There will be more than those Monster Hunter, DQVII and TMS on day 2. I expect to see Color Splash!

I don't expect Color Splash to be shown, actually, since--

I know it's the same. I'm just pointing it out again. You still have people who think these will be the only games just like people thought Zelda was going to be the only game shown.

IMO, no offense at all intended, but I think Zelda was originally the only game to be shown and plans changed. I think if plans changed to include Color Splash they would have highlighted that as it's a Mario game and the sole (as far as we know) H2 2016 first party retail release for Wii U. The original statements about E3 said only Zelda would be shown. So FWIW I do think plans changed, and that some other games are now included, but not necessarily Color Splash. I'd be delighted to be wrong, though.

Mother 3.

Paper Mario Color Splash.

Both of those games need to be shown at E3. I will consider that a good E3 combined with the Zelda unveiling and Pokemon, etc.

I do expect Mother 3 will be revealed and immediately available.

This also cements that Link won't be wearing the classic green tunic as the default outfit, as it's instead just a hood.

They've shown the game a total of three times and now with this artwork, and have never shown the traditional outfit. When have they ever teased or revealed a Zelda game with just his pre-tunic outfit?

Frankly, I'm thankful for the change.

BRING ON THE NEW HOTNESS

the-legend-of-zelda-wii-u-link.jpg

I think you might be right, and I like the new outfit a ton, but I'm still tempering my expectations that we may get the green tunic permanently during the game (not at the end of the game, but with plenty or even the majority of the game to be played wearing it), simply because the promo artwork has all been from the original 2014 shot and the end of 2014 footage we saw didn't show much more in the way of different areas. I guess my point is that if the Game Awards footage was early in the game, and if the other teasers have been also, it's still possible they're saving the green tunic reveal for E3 or subsequent footage, or for the game itself. I'd be totally pleased to be wrong, just trying to set my expectations.

I become breathless, every time I read a thread title that has the words "New" and "Zelda U/NX". I see my life flash before my eyes and wonder how this piece of information is going to affect my future. I am going to have a heart attack when the game actually arrives.

Please don't have a heart attack. We need you to be able to enjoy this game!

Even if we still have no fucking clue when it will release, I am damn excited to finally see some real proper gameplay. To see what the Skyrim inspiration meant, to see what's new and how it all looks and I'm of course curious about the title. Maybe it'll just be The Legend of Zelda this time.

Mother 3.

Paper Mario Color Splash.

Both of those games need to be shown at E3. I will consider that a good E3 combined with the Zelda unveiling and Pokemon, etc.

Exactly. _Or at least announce Mother 3 and have it available immediately. Could go without Color Splash since we already know it's coming. But man Mother 3 would be amazing.

What will be the forced gimmick this time I wonder?
Maybe you have to shake the gamepad up and down simulating the reigns of a horse in order to ride Epona.

Mato

Part of me wishes the next trailer would be revealed during a NWC. Imagine the audience reaction when the first line of voice acting was uttered.

What will be the forced gimmick this time I wonder?
Maybe you have to shake the gamepad up and down simulating the reigns of a horse in order to ride Epona.

Believe it or not, there are people who actually like using controllers in new ways. In fact, I personally think Skyward Sword is by far the best Zelda game ever made specifically because of the controls. And I'm pretty sure the wall merging mechanic in ALBW was universally praised.

So unless you actually think there will be a gimmick that stupid (I sure hope you don't) then I really don't understand your sarcasm and negativity here.

Even if we still have no fucking clue when it will release, I am damn excited to finally see some real proper gameplay. To see what the Skyrim inspiration meant, to see what's new and how it all looks and I'm of course curious about the title. Maybe it'll just be The Legend of Zelda this time.

Maybe it will have player choice and dialogue trees.
Finally, The Legend of Zelda will be homogenized and focus tested for mass appeal!
Now featuring systems that have been in every other open-world game from the past 5 years.

Believe it or not, there are people who actually like using controllers in new ways. In fact, I personally think Skyward Sword is by far the best Zelda game ever made specifically because of the controls. And I'm pretty sure the wall merging mechanic in ALBW was universally praised.

So unless you actually think there will be a gimmick that stupid (I sure hope you don't) then I really don't understand your sarcasm and negativity here.

Let's pray that Miyamoto kept his influence out of this one. For the good of the world.

takriel

Most of all, I'm interested in the music. I hope we'll hear a few themes so that we can get an idea of which general direction the music seems to take.

aBarreras

Maybe it will have player choice and dialogue trees.
Finally, The Legend of Zelda will be homogenized and focus tested for mass appeal!
Now featuring systems that have been in every other open-world game from the past 5 years.

Skyward Sword had dialogue trees

Loving the artwork. Starting to feel a little better about booking the Tuesday off work to enjoy and immerse myself in whatever we see and find out.

Let's pray that Miyamoto kept his influence out of this one. For the good of the world.

Meaning? What exactly has Miyamoto done in the Zelda series? In fact, what has Miyamoto done negatively at all lately? Star Fox controls? A lot of people like them. Sticker Star? He asked the team at Intelligent Systems if they themselves thought it was a good idea to focus on story. He didn't force them to do anything at all!

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just trying to shit on people's excitement about this game?

E-phonk

Banned
I always preferred Link wearing blue over green (along with ditching that stupid sock hat), so I'm so down with this new approach being the status quo for this adventure.

High five, my profile picture has always been a supporter of Link as part of the Blue Man Group (together with mega man and sonic)

Unless those ways are largely just gestures, in which case it's just using a controller in new ways to functionally match using a controller in old ways.

I don't quite follow. For Skyward Sword for instance, when have we ever been able to control sword movements 1:1? For the HD remakes, gyro aiming is much more precise than dual analog aiming. I guess I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying...

Edit:
Yup, what I meant by that was Star Fox.
Hopefully no forced dual screen stuff with similar implementation.
Say, like controlling your bow sight with the gamepad while riding Epona on the big screen. That would totally ruin it for me.

That's a fair concern I guess. I think dual screen stuff could be very cool if used like the lens of truth. Maybe Link looks through that book/tablet thing to see the past/future/dark world or something like that, and you need to hold up the gamepad to scan around you like that. I liked that in Zombi U.

Also with the bow I imagine you will use the gamepad gyro to control it while on the horse. I doubt you'll need to look at the gamepad to do it, though the gamepad may offer a first person view. But you can still aim without using that first person view of course.

Meaning? What exactly has Miyamoto done in the Zelda series? In fact, what has Miyamoto done negatively at all lately? Star Fox controls? A lot of people like them. Sticker Star? He asked the team at Intelligent Systems if they themselves thought it was a good idea to focus on story. He didn't force them to do anything at all!

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just trying to shit on people's excitement about this game?

Yup, what I meant by that was Star Fox.
Hopefully no forced dual screen stuff with similar implementation.
Say, like controlling your bow sight with the gamepad while riding Epona on the big screen. That would totally ruin it for me.

God I want to see the map so bad! I hope they show the whole map of the game next week. Also, I want to see how you'll be able to travel through water? Will there be a boat or canoe? Maybe Link will walk on top of the water?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Character customization would be the fucking shit, I'd be so into that.

I can't wait to see what this Zelda's big hook is. Open world, sure, but what's the dark world equivalent, so to say?

takriel

God I want to see the map so bad! I hope they show the whole map of the game next week. Also, I want to see how you'll be able to travel through water? Will there be a boat or canoe? Maybe Link will walk on top of the water?

Pretty sure we already got to see the whole map in the Game Awards footage.

Pretty sure we already got to see the whole map in the Game Awards footage.
I mean a new updated map. That map was over a year and half ago. I want to see the full map design and the markings, etc. You know Nintendo dresses things up nicely and the map could have some nice changes in design and aesthetics.

Epona will transform into a jet ski.
Woah. I wonder if Epona will transform into an Audi car and fly too?

Top Bottom