• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) listed for November 28th release date

Mokubba

Dead
I was not expecting the Jungle mashup lool. That caught me off guard

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. They would have announced it by now. Since they didn't, PS3/PS4 is the only thing that makes sense.

Yea it would make sense if it's PS4. Sony might be saving it for E3 since the PS4 announcement was the only one that didn't reveal a new Gran Turismo.

Still, if it was PS4 and releasing this year then it might hurt Drive Club

Takao

Banned
Why not? They announced it earlier than usual, maybe there's a reason why.

Vita was announced January 2011 and we knew a lot about it. Still launched in December 2011 in Japan, and February 2012 in the west.

PS4 was announced in February 2013 and we know little about it.

Yes but the ps4 is SONY's future, you would think they would want to make sure it gets of to a good start...

Releasing it on PS3 would be considerably easier than on PS4, and the install base is there in spades. This is an expansion release, not a next-gen beginning of a cycle, and it will obviously be good for Sony. PS4 will be fine.

i-Lo

E3 2013, PD announces it to be a cross gen title first released on PS3 and 6 months down the line for PS4.

*I can haz a dream*

Why not? PS4 only is not smart yes, but PS3 only isn't either. PS3/PS4 is the only way to go IMO.

Are you guys under some impression that you can just pop a ps3 game in the microwave and it pops out as an upres'd ps4 version? I see this in Last of Us and Beyond threads all the time. Ports take time and resources too, and Polyphony isn't exactly the most efficient company in the world as it is. Im sure sony would also rather a game built from the ground up (drive club) not get any limelight or sales stolen on the ps4 front by a port. This game has probably been cooking for 2+ years, hell for all we know it was supposed to come out last year but had to be delayed internally or something.

Gran Turismo 5 sales

Europe: 5.54m
NA: 1.98m
Japan/Asia: 1.05m

The bad thing about this possibility is that it pretty much guarantees PS4 launches in 2014 for Europe, so there would need to be a big fall game for this market. Also, next-gen isn't going to start for Japan for a while, regardless of whether they get the first release, so it'd do numbers there too.

Sony have made worse decisions this gen.

saladine1

I just hope there was enough time for complete audio revamp, career mode revamp, standard car and track omission, increased car and track count..etc.

ruttyboy

Vita was announced January 2011 and we knew a lot about it. Still launched in December 2011 in Japan, and February 2012 in the west.

PS4 was announced in February 2013 and we know little about it.

Still not seeing any reasons. If Apple can launch stuff in days from announcing I don't think seven months is too much to ask.

EDIT: /sigh seeing the 'PD are not efficient' bollocks being traipsed out again. Per head employed they are a ridiculously productive and efficient studio...

E3 2013, PD announces it to be a cross gen title first released on PS3 and 6 months down the line for PS4.

*I can haz a dream*
This has to happen. Period.

Are you guys under some impression that you can just pop a ps3 game in the microwave and it pops out as an upres'd ps4 version? I see this in Last of Us and Beyond threads all the time. Ports take time and resources too, and Polyphony isn't exactly the most efficient company in the world as it is. Im sure sony would also rather a game built from the ground up (drive club) not get any limelight or sales stolen on the ps4 front by a port. This game has probably been cooking for 2+ years, hell for all we know it was supposed to come out last year but had to be delayed internally or something.
Of course it isn't that easy. But they should be able to get it out early 2014 for PS4. Not releasing GT6 at all for PS4 is the problem IMO. I think it is fine if PS3 releases first.

Putting GT6 out on the PS3 around the same time as the PS4 launches(which won't feature BC) would be one of, if not the most stupid things Sony will have ever done.

They put GT6 on PS4 launch, it's an incomplete and inconsistent mess, GAF says it's the biggest mistake Sony has ever done.

At least this way they'll be crying about it all the way to the bank with huge bags of money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh this is delicious. Only Sony can fuck things up so badly. Sony sure wants people to buy ps3's over ps4's.

This would be like if there was a release of a new monster hunter game on psp a week before the vita launched and was also incompatible to play on the Vita.

Beautiful.

I know this is hard to believe but Sony is still going to sell a shitload of PS3 units after the PS4 comes out.

It's analogous to something like Pokemon B2W2 coming out more than a full year after the 3DS released in Japan.

Would not shock me to see Sony developed games on the PS3 even in 2014.

if Sony announces GT6 for the PS3 during E3, I expect boos

And then 5+ million buy it.

This has to happen. Period.

Of course it isn't that easy. But they should be able to get it out early 2014 for PS4. Not releasing GT6 at all for PS4 is the problem IMO. I think it is fine if PS3 releases first.

Or they can just let Drive Club and any other original, ps4 driving games get a little shine and release the next real GT for Ps4 in 2015 or 2016 or whenever it is ready. It's the same reason Rockstar would rather out GTA5 on current gen.

noobasuar

Banned
I know this is hard to believe but Sony is still going to sell a shitload of PS3 units after the PS4 comes out.

It's analogous to something like Pokemon B2W2 coming out more than a full year after the 3DS released in Japan.

Would not shock me to see Sony developed games on the PS3 even in 2014.

The difference is that everyone could buy a 3DS and play B2W2. Also we're getting a new pokemon game this year while we're probably going to give Polyphony another 7 years to get something on the PS4.

onQ123

I think people have it backwards: it would be dumb for Sony to release GT6 on the PS4 at launch if you ask me.

they will be leaving behind a 80 Million install base & they will be rushing a GT game on new hardware & not pushing it as well as they should. if it's on PS3 they get to capitalize off of the bigger install base & the fact that they can take what they have already done with GT5 & push it to a higher level & take their time making the PS4 GT game.

The difference is that everyone could buy a 3DS and play B2W2. Also we're getting a new pokemon game this year while we're probably going to give Polyphony another 7 years to get something on the PS4.

Not everyone is going toget rid of their ps3s as soon as the ps4 is released. There will still be tens of millions of eager ps3 gamers itching for new games to play who couldnt care less about BC or ps4. Sony has always been good about keeping those gamers happy, especially with mainstream franchises like GT. you guys are making a big deal about nothing calling this the dumbest thing Sony's ever done. It's a smart business decision.

Gran Turismo 5 sales

Europe: 5.73m
NA: 2.41m
Japan/Asia: 1.05m

The bad thing about this possibility is that it pretty much guarantees PS4 launches in 2014 for Europe, so there would need to be a big fall game for this market. Also, next-gen isn't going to start for Japan for a while, regardless of whether they get the first release, so it'd do numbers there too.

Sony have made worse decisions this gen.

your numbers are off, i updated them. gt5 still charts regularly in europe i believe. probably close to 10million if not there already.
But yes, if this is true, this is pretty much a decision to help ps3 in europe this fall with the expected price cut that's coming.

Release it on PS3, and we finally get the definitive racer of this generation that we thought GT5 would have been and Sony/Polyphony sell shit-tons of copies.

Or release it on unproven hardware with no install base.

Sounds like a sound strategy to me.

OMG 8GIGS OF GDDR5 RAM would have been nice, but there's plenty of time in the PS4 generation for GT6.5/GT7

noobasuar

Banned
Not everyone is going toget rid of their ps3s as soon as the ps4 is released. There will still be tens of millions of eager ps3 gamers itching for new games to play who couldnt care less about BC or ps4. Sony has always been good about keeping those gamers happy, especially with mainstream franchises like GT. you guys are making a big deal about nothing calling this the dumbest thing Sony's ever done. It's a smart business decision.

Maybe it won't matter all that much in the long run, but it would defiantly send a message to the masses that the PS4 is the system of choice for gamers if they had a game at launch that helped move a ton of systems.

They would probably be able to ride a wave of having a console that was hard to find and something that people really desired.

That's going to be harder to pull off without having your biggest franchise on PS4.

Release the Game on the PS3 for 49 bucks make sure all the tracks and cars purchased with GT5 can be used on GT6 with an additional 200 more premium cars rounded it off to about 450 premiums. Improve the rain and night racing to all tracks, Improve the Course Maker and boom great game. Let the Drive Club enjoy a 1 year exclusivity and boom xmas 2014 release GT7.

AIP

Danish and nordic online shop for games, dvds and gagets also lists Gran Turismo 6 for PS3.

They are usually reliable, as far as my experience goes

Both CDON and Webhallen have GT 6 for PS4 too.

http://cdon.se/spel/gran_turismo_6-22902898
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spel/playstation_4/170495-gran_turismo_6

Most interesting is: "Denna titel har inte officiellt utannonserats än, men tidiga indikationer visar på att den kommer till Playstation 4."
Rough translation: It´s not official but early signs show that GT6 is also getting a PS4 release.

How confident are we that PS4 launches this year in Europe?

I'm really asking. I think the answer is very important to this discussion.

Maybe it won't matter all that much in the long run, but it would defiantly send a message to the masses that the PS4 is the system of choice for gamers if they had a game at launch that helped move a ton of systems.

They would probably be able to ride a wave of having a console that was hard to find and something that people really desired.

That's going to be harder to pull off without having your biggest franchise on PS4.

It's easier to sell a $60 game than a $400+ system. Only the rich early adopters will buy PS4, killing PS3 entirely this year and moving entire resources to PS4 is a moronic. That being said, so is launching to big new IP's just when PS4 is around the corner (Last of Us and Beyond)

ruttyboy

It's easier to sell a $60 game than a $400+ system. Only the rich early adopters will buy PS4, killing PS3 entirely this year and moving entire resources to PS4 is a moronic. That being said, so is launching to big new IP's just when PS4 is around the corner (Last of Us and Beyond)

Why is it moronic to release big games at the point where their potential to sell is greatest?

noobasuar

Banned
Why is it moronic to release big games at the point where their potential to sell is greatest?

Because you need momentum for your new system that's going to have sell for the next 7+ years.

Publishers were still releasing big games for the PSP instead of moving on to the Vita when it was first released, and we all see how well that strategy works out.

This sucks. Could have used this game a year or so ago. Firing up GT5 after moving back to the master race and it just looks like shit.

spwolf

and why wouldnt there be both? Like some devs said already, it is relatively easy to develop for PS4 and then scale back same engine for PS3... and in PS4, you simply up the graphics, fps, number of cars, poly count, while base features are the same.

difference in fps and graphics will be easy sell for PS4... i dont doubt that anyone who has the money will "upgrade" to GT6 PS4.

Soriku

and why wouldnt there be both? Like some devs said already, it is relatively easy to develop for PS4 and then scale back same engine for PS3... and in PS4, you simply up the graphics, fps, number of cars, poly count, while base features are the same.

difference in fps and graphics will be easy sell for PS4... i dont doubt that anyone who has the money will "upgrade" to GT6 PS4.

Because they need Drive Club to sell.

I wonder how a high res GT6 running on PS4 would compare to DriveClub, a game made from the ground up for PS4....

I'm not sure how releasing a marquee Playstation 3 exclusive around the same time as a non backwards compatible Playstation 4's launch makes any sense, but day one anyway, I guess.

ruttyboy

Because you need momentum for your new system that's going to have sell for the next 7+ years.

Publishers were still releasing big games for the PSP instead of moving on to the Vita when it was first released, and we all see how well that strategy works out.

Which can be provided by other titles developed by other studios no problem. The entire point of a console generation is to cash in when the install base has grown large enough.

I think people have it backwards: it would be dumb for Sony to release GT6 on the PS4 at launch if you ask me.

they will be leaving behind a 80 Million install base & they will be rushing a GT game on new hardware & not pushing it as well as they should. if it's on PS3 they get to capitalize off of the bigger install base & the fact that they can take what they have already done with GT5 & push it to a higher level & take their time making the PS4 GT game.

That's true. Though, if it came out on PS4 this fall I would definitely buy the console. I suspect a lot of others might feel the same way. I think GT is their best system-selling franchise.

synce

I would've been doubtful about GT6 on PS3 if it wasn't for Drive Club. There's no reason for Sony to develop a new racing series if the next GT was being targeted for PS4, DC is basically just a stop-gap until GT7. As for GT6 coming this year? Yes please :)

Top Bottom