• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to put a damper on your Walmart saga, but they are for sale at Staples now, both in-store and online. The website will give you stock information for local stores.

Oh sweet. The Staples right by me are sold out and/or not selling them, but there are 2 within 10 miles that are.

I'm really interested in getting one of these, but Staples only sells the 32GB and I'm not sure I want the $100 for 16 extra GB. Especially since I can just get a 64GB flash drive for around $50.

Not to put a damper on your Walmart saga, but they are for sale at Staples now, both in-store and online. The website will give you stock information for local stores.

lol don't tell me this haha. it's all good. i have it and that's all that matters.

100% worth it.

Just got a Nexus 10 from a nearby Staples last night. They have their holiday return policy going, so I can return it by January 14th if it doesn't do it for me. I may even return it even if I like it, since I got the 32GB and I think I might be perfectly fine with a 16GB. I'll know more after I put more stuff on it, but $110 (with tax) cheaper would be very attractive to me.

So far it is very nice. It's already a dramatic improvement over my Asus Eee PC 1000H that I bought about 3-4 years ago at this point. I'm downloading a lot of apps to try out. Since I have an android phone I already have a few that I like (mostly free).

I'm kinda kicking myself now for buying it right now. Not because it's bad, but because I think I should have bought a Nexus 7 first to decide if I like the 7 enough to not need the 10. I've tried out the 7 in stores, but always came away thinking that the screen was probably too small for me, so I'm not sure how much a difference using it for a week or two would make.

I do love the 10's loud, front facing speakers (better than my Netbooks) and the screen is quite nice (I think it's at least 5x the resolution of my netbook, haha). It feels amazing too. The back material is so perfect for a device like this; it's very grippable without feeling cheap (odd that there's that weird removable flap on the back).

Blablurn

Just got a Nexus 10 from a nearby Staples last night. They have their holiday return policy going, so I can return it by January 14th if it doesn't do it for me. I may even return it even if I like it, since I got the 32GB and I think I might be perfectly fine with a 16GB. I'll know more after I put more stuff on it, but $110 (with tax) cheaper would be very attractive to me.

So far it is very nice. It's already a dramatic improvement over my Asus Eee PC 1000H that I bought about 3-4 years ago at this point. I'm downloading a lot of apps to try out. Since I have an android phone I already have a few that I like (mostly free).

I'm kinda kicking myself now for buying it right now. Not because it's bad, but because I think I should have bought a Nexus 7 first to decide if I like the 7 enough to not need the 10. I've tried out the 7 in stores, but always came away thinking that the screen was probably too small for me, so I'm not sure how much a difference using it for a week or two would make.

I do love the 10's loud, front facing speakers (better than my Netbooks) and the screen is quite nice (I think it's at least 5x the resolution of my netbook, haha). It feels amazing too. The back material is so perfect for a device like this; it's very grippable without feeling cheap (odd that there's that weird removable flap on the back).

Haha, I also had the Eee PC 1000H back in the days. Technology has come a long way since then, didn't it ? :D

Are there any covers that are nearly identical to the iPad's magnet snap on cover/stand? I absolutely love that sleek, slim cover that trifolds back into a stand, but I hate cases that cover the whole tablet and bulk it into something the size of a 1980s calculator. Chances are Apple patented that cover and nobody is ballsy enough to mimic it, but does anybody know of one similar that works for a Nexus 10 and is not a full body case.

JCX

Are there any covers that are nearly identical to the iPad's magnet snap on cover/stand? I absolutely love that sleek, slim cover that trifolds back into a stand, but I hate cases that cover the whole tablet and bulk it into something the size of a 1980s calculator. Chances are Apple patented that cover and nobody is ballsy enough to mimic it, but does anybody know of one similar that works for a Nexus 10 and is not a full body case.

This one is thin, yet surprisingly sturdy. It doesn't have the magnet snapping, but it does fold into a tri-fold stand.

I'm having trouble finding a good browser for my nexus 10.
-I like Firefox, but it seems to have a bug where I am unable to save files (when I hold press on a link to a mp3, I don't get a save link option).
-I kinda like Chrome, but the tabs have annoyingly small close buttons and I can't figure out how to quickly scroll other than constantly swiping.
-I actually love Opera Mobile for my phone (when you quick scroll it brings up a button that scrolls super fast), but the UI doesn't scale right on the nexus 10 resolution, so the nav bar is microscopic.
-Ive tried Dolphin on my phone, but I didn't like it at all.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
-I like Firefox, but it seems to have a bug where I am unable to save files (when I hold press on a link to a mp3, I don't get a save link option).
-I kinda like Chrome, but the tabs have annoyingly small close buttons and I can't figure out how to quickly scroll other than constantly swiping.
-I actually love Opera Mobile for my phone (when you quick scroll it brings up a button that scrolls super fast), but the UI doesn't scale right on the nexus 10 resolution, so the nav bar is microscopic.
Try it again on the N10.

Trouble

Banned
This one is thin, yet surprisingly sturdy. It doesn't have the magnet snapping, but it does fold into a tri-fold stand.

I finally got this case after a shipping delay. Pretty happy with it given the price and relative lack of options at this point. It doesn't stay closed via a magnet, but it does auto-sleep/wake. It has a stylus loop and comes with a cheapo stylus pen. I never used a stylus before, and I've found its nice for detailed pointing and not sniffing the screen. I'll have to buy a decent stylus soon.

RuGalz

Android browser is still the best for N10. I don't understand why Google made Chrome the default before it is updated to more current version.

Try it again on the N10.

So far it does seem to fix the problems I had with Dolphin on my phone. With the "small" (4 in.) phone screen, if I scrolled slightly to the right or left instead of perfectly down it would pop out the side menus instead of scrolling. The Nexus 10 doesn't have that issue because of the huge screen.

I hope that Opera will eventually update to support super high-resolution screens, since I'm so used to it from my phone.

popeutlal

Xscope, has the best interface and runs on webkit, try it.

I had no idea emulator performance was so good on this thing...

Nexus 10 - Emulator Performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9leFKGewvsM

Woah. Pair a SixAxis controller to it and this would be a sick mobile rig on such a large screen.

Good stuff, while I would use it a lot more then for just emulators I love how far android OS has improved over the years, I love how devs can do basically anything with their apps like overlays, floating windows, not so locked down like iOS

HenryHSH

Can't find a 16GB anywhere... DAMN YOU GOOOGLE!
LLShC.gif

torontoml

Just got mine yesterday and I have been trying to set up a wallpaper but I can't get it to work properly. I set it up as scrollable and it works fine when I hold it in portrait but when I go to landscape the wallpaper becomes a static image and doesn't cover the entire screen. Anyone have a suggestion?

HenryHSH

Just got mine yesterday and I have been trying to set up a wallpaper but I can't get it to work properly. I set it up as scrollable and it works fine when I hold it in portrait but when I go to landscape the wallpaper becomes a static image and doesn't cover the entire screen. Anyone have a suggestion?

I think you're looking for: [Google Play] Simple Image Wallpaper [Video Review].

So, I'm still on the hunt for a 16gb Nexus 10... Called a few stores this morning and no one has the 16G. Sams and Staples have the 32gb and I already went to Walmart... What's up with the lack of supply? It's frustrating.

RuGalz

So, I'm still on the hunt for a 16gb Nexus 10... Called a few stores this morning and no one has the 16G. Sams and Staples have the 32gb and I already went to Walmart... What's up with the lack of supply? It's frustrating.

It maybe the case that retail won't carry 16G at all.

RuGalz

Edit: I have been using this for just over 1 day and it has froze up twice. Once just during a Google search and the other time I was scrolling through a wallpaper website. It may have been updating some apps as well but I'm not sure. Is it known to crash so often?

It did for me after the day 1 update until I factory reset it.

hemtae

Thanks a lot man that works.

Edit: I have been using this for just over 1 day and it has froze up twice. Once just during a Google search and the other time I was scrolling through a wallpaper website. It may have been updating some apps as well but I'm not sure. Is it known to crash so often?

After I rooted mine, I've had no more crashes so it probably is the factory reset thing like the other poster said.

Who has the better return policy on this: Walmart or Staples?

I want to try it out over Xmas break.

I bought mine from Staples a week or two ago. They had just started their holiday return policy which meant I could return it anytime before January 14th I think.

So far I've been happy enough with it that I think I'll keep it. A bit of a bummer that there aren't more Tablet optimized apps and some of the iOS exclusive games and stuff, but I knew that coming in. I was considering returning my 32GB and just buying a 16GB from Google Play, but I think I prefer having some extra space.

Oh and the case I ordered just delivered. i got the faux-leathery stand one that was mentioned in this thread already. My parents had nearly the same one for their iPad (it was a Targus brand, but now there's a million duplicates of the style) and I loved it.

I really hope the resolution on this tablet becomes the standard for high end 2013 Android tablets. Its a shame its not sold where I live.

Just bought Rayman Jungle Run and it is GORGEOUS on the Nexus 10 screen!
Nooooooooo! I just updated rayman because it added new levels for the holiday, but it deleted all of my progress and added a little glitch as well. There's now a one pixel wide vertical white line on the left side of the screen, and the screen where the skeleton guy gets his red teeth is now really zoomed out. :'(

I'll try reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

i got my mom the nexus 7, but she says it's too small for her (lol) how much better is the 10 though? she really only watches movies that require flash sites anyways. i guess i can teach her about games or something.

JCX

i got my mom the nexus 7, but she says it's too small for her (lol) how much better is the 10 though? she really only watches movies that require flash sites anyways. i guess i can teach her about games or something.

I got my brother a 7 and it's surprisingly small. Maybe all these megaphones coming out made it seem smaller. 10 is great. If she doesn't need much storage, maybe just get her the 16gb one.

I got my brother a 7 and it's surprisingly small. Maybe all these megaphones coming out made it seem smaller. 10 is great. If she doesn't need much storage, maybe just get her the 16gb one.

yeah 16 is right size for her. just unsure how i plan to sell the nexus 7 for it. :O

HenryHSH

Check out Nexus Checker. There's also an APP that has notifications.

Looks like it's a wait until after New Year's for a restock. It bugs the shit out of me because I found out about the Nexus 10 going on sale a day after they ran out of stock on the play store. I had no clue this thing launched prior to that. -_-

JHall

I called the Staples I live near, the guy said they might be getting a shipment in their weekly truck on Saturday. Hopefully they do.

Trouble

Banned
I was grumpy about having to wait 2 weeks after launch to get one, but I'm starting to think I was lucky to get one when I did. Keep at it guys, totally worth it.

JHall

My Walmart had some in stock so I bought one and I'll be picking it up later today.

I might need some help since this will be my first Android device.

I'm really excited!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Are people going with the 16 or 32? I don't imagine I would fill a 16, I am not even near filling my phone's 16.

torontoml

It was suggested earlier in this thread for me to reset my tablet to get it to stop crashing. This did not seem to work, it seems to crash at least once or twice a day. Is there something wrong with it and should I get a hold of Google to get a replacement?

RuGalz

It was suggested earlier in this thread for me to reset my tablet to get it to stop crashing. This did not seem to work, it seems to crash at least once or twice a day. Is there something wrong with it and should I get a hold of Google to get a replacement?

What are you usually doing that makes it reset? I've noticed that my tablet is far far far more stable after going custom rom that's based on the most recent AOSP code - maybe there are many crash bugs that are fixed that haven't been pushed to official OTA update yet...

Trouble

Banned
Are people going with the 16 or 32? I don't imagine I would fill a 16, I am not even near filling my phone's 16.

I got the 32. I had a 64GB 1st gen iPad before this. I like to load up movies and tv shows before I go on a trip, because wireless is often broken or slow where I travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom