• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I get over 6.5 just straight streaming videos. What are you doing with yours?

Web browsing. That's it. No games.

Battery life is better with CM. Screen has been on for 90 minutes and 25% gone.

RuGalz

Web browsing. That's it. No games.

Battery life is better with CM. Screen has been on for 90 minutes and 25% gone.

That's crazy. Lots flash? Mine is at 5 hours mark for screen and still have 36% of battery left (total time on battery so far is 4d 5hrs)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's crazy. Lots flash? Mine is at 5 hours mark for screen and still have 36% of battery left (total time on battery so far is 4d 5hrs)

Nope. Check it out:

photo-13-02-13-064654.png

photo-13-02-13-065044.png

This is actually pretty decent to what I had before with Paranoid.

Blackhead

Redarse
Will installing the ASOP Browser affect the update? Every other browser I tried is garbage; can't believe Google is still peddling this Chrome nonsense. Can't return or sell the damn thing either as I love reading on this screen haha. We need HiDPI 7.7"/8" tablets asap

RuGalz

Ugh, installed 4.2.2. I miss AOSP browser, USB OTG and expanded quick setting menu. Hopefully custom roms catch up quick.

Bboy AJ

Ugh, installed 4.2.2. I miss AOSP browser, USB OTG and expanded quick setting menu. Hopefully custom roms catch up quick.
CM has it. On my Nexus 4, anyway. Haven't checked for my 10.

hemtae

So I got the OTA update then once I tried to update it, it had the android thingy and said error. When I rebooted it, it had an error message saying "no command and in Fastboot mode it says "Downloading... Do Not turn off target!!".

Anybody else get this?

BFIB

My local Walmart shows limited stock. We need to do some grocery shopping today, going to see if they have it.

My battery life sucks compared to my iPad. It's like 4.5 hours of on screen time. That's so weak :/

I'm going to put CM on this instead of Paranoid.

On my stock N10 I was regularly getting ~8.5-9 hours of on screen time, I'd only need to charge it every 4-5 days.

screenshot_2012-12-02xcczz.png

I'm getting pretty much the same battery life on CM10.1 nightlies, so I'm willing to bet it's something you've installed.

Bboy AJ

Possibly. I'll have to drill it down. My Nexus 4 has the same apps and things are all good on that end. I'm not using the stock CM kernel. KTManta, I think it's called.

BFIB

I picked one up from Walmart, snagged the last one.

Really like it so far. Haven't done a whole lot on it yet, I need to unlock/root first. Magazines look great, comics are so much better than reading them on my Nexus 7.

Jeff-DSA

I get about 9 hours of on screen time. The other day I got stuck somewhere for 3 hours, and I played The Pinball Arcade the entire time. Later that night I read a few comics, watched a 30 minute show with my kid, browsed for a bit, and then typed up a short story that took another couple of hours. I went to bed with roughly 25% battery left from a full charge in the morning.

My brightness is about 50%, maybe a touch higher. I've been pretty impressed with the battery life overall. I take it everywhere with me, and I charge up usually every third day unless I go nuts on The Pinball Arcade. When I'm playing on it heavily, I usually charge every other day.

Has anyone seen this article on Engadget about Ubuntu coming to Nexus devices? http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/ubuntu-for-tablets-revealed/

Apparently on Thursday they will be releasing it with instructions on how to install it to Nexus 4, 7, and 10. The video included in the article makes it look pretty damn slick, and apparently if you attach a keyboard and mouse you can use Ubuntu as a desktop OS with full (?) Windows application support.

Are there specific Ubuntu Windows apps, or does it have the ability to run native .exe files? I'm not really familiar enough with it to know, but they showed Excel running in the video which would be a pretty awesome ability

netBuff

Has anyone seen this article on Engadget about Ubuntu coming to Nexus devices? http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/ubuntu-for-tablets-revealed/

Apparently on Thursday they will be releasing it with instructions on how to install it to Nexus 4, 7, and 10. The video included in the article makes it look pretty damn slick, and apparently if you attach a keyboard and mouse you can use Ubuntu as a desktop OS with full (?) Windows application support.

Are there specific Ubuntu Windows apps, or does it have the ability to run native .exe files? I'm not really familiar enough with it to know, but they showed Excel running in the video which would be a pretty awesome ability

Ubuntu is a Debian based Linux Distribution: You are going to be able to run Linux desktop programs compiled for ARM (which could be very powerful in itself), not Windows applications.

Running Windows applications won't be possible. In the video, they mention the ability to run thin client software (aimed at business customers): With a thin client, the software is running on a Windows server which transmits all image data to the tablet and sends input back to the server.

Ubuntu is a Debian based Linux Distribution: You are going to be able to run Linux desktop programs compiled for ARM (which could be very powerful in itself), not Windows applications.

Running Windows applications won't be possible. In the video, they mention the ability to run thin client software (aimed at business customers): With a thin client, the software is running on a Windows server which transmits all image data to the tablet and sends input back to the server.

Ah, I didn't catch the "thin client" line in that video.

I don't really use my N10 for much more than videos, podcasts, and web browsing so I might not have a need for all of these fancy features.
If they let you dual boot with it I'd definitely like to try it out, though. The OS looked pretty slick.

Bboy AJ

I figured out my battery issues. I fixed some options in the advanced wifi section. They're no issue with my phone but with a tablet, things are different.

BFIB

Took me a couple days to get accustomed to the 10" world, since I've been rocking the Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 for the most part for my tablet experience.

Read a few magazines, played a couple games, and now I need to wait for WugFresh to update the root program for 4.2.2.

rc213

4.2.2 has been a god send along with the last chrome update. Before under heavy use I would get 1-3 hard lock ups a day. Since 4.2.2 I cleared the Cached data and dalvik cache. Before the update chrome was usually in use when it hard locked, since the updates chrome will crash but close itself, it never did that before.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I need to figure out these wifi drop issues. It drops 1-2 times a day at random. All other devices in the house wrok just fine.

I need to figure out these wifi drop issues. It drops 1-2 times a day at random. All other devices in the house wrok just fine.

I don't think I've ever gotten straight drops with the wifi, but it definitely bogs down at times. Sometimes youtube will play perfectly but other times it just continually buffers no matter if its on low or high quality

rc213

I don't think I've ever gotten straight drops with the wifi, but it definitely bogs down at times. And Sometimes youtube will play perfectly but other times it just continually buffers no matter if its on low or high quality

I get the YouTube thing with My pc, nexus 4 and with my iPad 2 when I had it. It's been like that for months, so frustrating.

I get the YouTube thing with My pc, nexus 4 and with my iPad 2 when I had it. It's been like that for months, so frustrating.

I was in the middle of upgrading my PC and trying to watch a build video on youtube and it kept doing it. Thankfully I knew what I was doing so I wasn't totally screwed.

Bboy AJ

Yeah its odd, happening to me too but with school WiFi.

It's not an issue on your end. The tablet has legit wifi driver issues. Try flashing a new kernel, like franco or kmanta, if you're OK with that.

Worked for me. Kmanta.

Does anyone know of any wall mounts for the Nexus 10? Something Similar to the one studio

proper make for the ipad/nexus 7. I can't seem to find anything.

RuGalz

Portenzo has cases for the Nexus 10 now. They look really cool, but $100 for a case is pretty high. Has anyone bought one of these before?

o_O consider I'd probably upgrade the tablet every 3-4 years, that's crazy amount of money to spend on the case... well I guess I wouldn't care if I was a billionaire...

tborsje

o_O consider I'd probably upgrade the tablet every 3-4 years, that's crazy amount of money to spend on the case... well I guess I wouldn't care if I was a billionaire...

The description on one of the product pages is "Be the talk of the boardroom...". Says it all really hahaha.

Bboy AJ

That's one really ugly case. Yeah, I'll spend money to make my tablet thicker, heavier, and overall uglier.

MrHicks

Banned
whats with all these tablets having NON REMOVABLE batteries
(phones too)

don't these batteries have a short lifespan?
x number of charges etc etc

WTF do you do when your expensive tablet works perfectly but the battery is worn out?
uuugh

same reason i don't buy phones with non removables

whats with all these tablets having NON REMOVABLE batteries
(phones too)

don't these batteries have a short lifespan?
x number of charges etc etc

WTF do you do when your expensive tablet works perfectly but the battery is worn out?
uuugh

same reason i don't buy phones with non removables

Well if you HAVE to replace the battery it's apparently not too difficult: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/google-nexus-10-rated-extremely-repairable-after-teardown-50009785/

It's no excuse not to have an easily swappable battery of course, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Macmanus

If I'm targeting a cheap tablet, is the Nexus 7 still a decent route to go? Ideally I want an SD slot and stylus support, but I don't think the Nexus line offers either.

If I'm targeting a cheap tablet, is the Nexus 7 still a decent route to go? Ideally I want an SD slot and stylus support, but I don't think the Nexus line offers either.
No stylus, but Google Drive offers enough space to never need a SD card. I got the 16 GB Nexus 10 thinking I'd run out of memory and hate myself, but I haven't had any problems. I even store all my music through Google.

The 7 is a great device. It's rather small, but I've been so used to 10 inch tablets.

surly

Banned
I really want to like this device, but I've been through a few of them now.

1. The box was already opened on arrival (seals broken) and it had clearly been used. I complained to Google and they said that some Nexus 10s had left the factory without the charger in the box, so they had to break the seals to put the charger in. I said that they should have put a note in the box then, as it says "do not accept if seal is broken" on both seals, but I also said that it didn't explain the signs of the tablet being used. They replaced it with no problems.

2. The second one also arrived with both seals broken (sigh), but it showed no signs of being used. It had bad light bleed in one corner though, which constantly bugged me. Google agreed to send me another.

3. The third one arrived sealed, but it had much worse light bleed than number 2, so it was returned.

4. The fourth one arrived sealed, had very little light bleed, but the screen wasn't working properly. Certain gestures, like swipes, just wouldn't register properly. I had both tablets side by side and I was flicking up and down on both of them to scroll up/down and something was clearly broken with this one.

I dunno what to do now. Google have offered me a refund, but I would rather have one that works and doesn't have what I believe to be excessive light bleed. Maybe what I consider to be "excessive" is normal, but I don't expect to have bright patches of light seeping in at 1 or more corners. It's really noticeable to me, especially as one of the main selling points of this tablet is the otherwise beautiful screen.

surly

Banned
was the first one working better than the replacements?
Yep, lol. But the protective film that's on the tablet had clearly been taken off and put back on and there were fingerprints on the screen itself (under the protective film). I don't think that's acceptable when you're buying a brand new product, which is why I returned it. In hindsight, I'd gladly take it back!

New battery life record for me:

dayso8uwo.png

screenq0utj.png

ROM: CM 10.1 (whichever nightly it was eight days ago).
Kernel: KTManta
CPU Governor: ktoonservative (with hot-plugging disabled)
CPU voltage: -50mv for each step.
GPU voltage: -25mv for each step.
I/O Scheduler: zen (async_expire = 5000, fifo_batch = 1, sync_expire = 300)
Other: Location settings and GPS were off, Wifi is set to off while tablet is asleep.

Leckan

A question for those who have used both an ipad and Nexus 10; I'm guessing the 16:10 aspect ratio of the Nexus is better suited to media consumption than the 4:3 of the ipad, but what of web-browsing?

A question for those who have used both an ipad and Nexus 10; I'm guessing the 16:10 aspect ratio of the Nexus is better suited to media consumption than the 4:3 of the ipad, but what of web-browsing?

I like how tall the Nexus's screen is for web browsing. It's great for forums like Neogaf and blog format sites.

It's kinda unwieldy to hold that way compared to the iPad, but I have no problem resting it on my lap or a table or something.

Bboy AJ

iPad has the better aspect ratio for web browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom