• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Soodanim

I just use the cheap eBay ones. It's like $3 for 6 lol. They work great. Only had to replace one as I scratched it to shit. They are also very easy to put on.

Thanks, I'll do that then.

Going from a phone with bugger all memory to this makes me realise that my last phone wasn't really being used as a smart phone, at least not properly. I couldn't reliably use the maps (too slow), I didn't have room for shopping apps like Amazon and eBay or banking apps. I've been missing out on the convenience that these things provide.

As a side note, I love that I can clean my my Gmail contacts on a PC and find them already synced and sorted on my phone the next time I pick it up.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Thanks, I'll do that then.

Going from a phone with bugger all memory to this makes me realise that my last phone wasn't really being used as a smart phone, at least not properly. I couldn't reliably use the maps (too slow), I didn't have room for shopping apps like Amazon and eBay or banking apps. I've been missing out on the convenience that these things provide.

As a side note, I love that I can clean my my Gmail contacts on a PC and find them already synced and sorted on my phone the next time I pick it up.

My phone before the N4 was an LG Optimus One. I felt your pain. The thing was so slow.

Eanan

how is the battery life on this while using google play over 3g/wifi as I have a big collection of music on the cloud.

Emwitus

Okay guys my nexus 4 camera, out of nowhwere, shows a huge black bar verically from top to bottom. Shit!! Screen is fine. I really hate this phone. Its been 3 months , will Google switch my phone?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Okay guys my nexus 4 camera, out of nowhwere, shows a huge black bar verically from top to bottom. Shit!! Screen is fine. I really hate this phone. Its been 3 months , will Google switch my phone?

You'll get a brand new one if you bought it from the Play Store. Google will mail you a new one and you keep th current one until it arrives.

Have you tried turning it on and off? Try tapping the back of the phone near the camera. Maybe the sensor got stuck.

Emwitus

You'll get a brand new one if you bought it from the Play Store. Google will mail you a new one and you keep th current one until it arrives.

Have you tried turning it on and off? Try tapping the back of the phone near the camera. Maybe the sensor got stuck.
Thanks liquidus. Will try this out. Yeah , I've got no idea why it started its a just a transparent bar.tapping didn't work. I'll try and restarting and if that doesn't work in sending it in. Thanks again.

Soodanim

I've had this phone about 5 days and I've had 3 random reboots. All during standard operation, with the most recent being looking through my snapchat friends list. Should I be concerned?

Nicktendo86

I've had this phone about 5 days and I've had 3 random reboots. All during standard operation, with the most recent being looking through my snapchat friends list. Should I be concerned?
No, it is happening to a lot of people, me included, and has been reported to Google. Do you have chrome beta installed? Some suggest that that is the cause and I must say since I've deleted it I have not had a reboot.

I still marvel at the beauty of this phone. The curved edges of glass, the dots over the notification led to give it a soft fuzzy look, the soft touch rubbery sides for grip and comfort, the etched dots on the back for the light reflection pattern. So much attention to detail.

Groof

No, it is happening to a lot of people, me included, and has been reported to Google. Do you have chrome beta installed? Some suggest that that is the cause and I must say since I've deleted it I have not had a reboot.

I still marvel at the beauty of this phone. The curved edges of glass, the dots over the notification led to give it a soft fuzzy look, the soft touch rubbery sides for grip and comfort, the etched dots on the back for the light reflection pattern. So much attention to detail.

Crazy isn't it, how one of the most subsidized phones is also one of the better crafted ones (LG build issues aside). It's great. Though the fingerprint resistant coating is starting to disappear on mine now :(

Nicktendo86

Crazy isn't it, how one of the most subsidized phones is also one of the better crafted ones (LG build issues aside). It's great. Though the fingerprint resistant coating is starting to disappear on mine now :(
Yeah that happened on my gnexus and I heard would with the n4 so I made sure to slap screen protectors on front and back :)

Groof

Yeah that happened on my gnexus and I heard would with the n4 so I made sure to slap screen protectors on front and back :)

It's bound to happen on any device, started happening real early on with my S2. If I didn't hate screen protectors so much I'd've probably put one on mine as well.

Nicktendo86

It's bound to happen on any device, started happening real early on with my S2. If I didn't hate screen protectors so much I'd've probably put one on mine as well.
I get mine from a company called media devil, seriously crystal clear invisible. And they always send you sweet when you order!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Agreed on both the reboot issue and the N4. The N5 doesn't look like it'll be this nice. It's part of my reluctance to upgrade.

Nicktendo86

Those looked good, but they don't cover the curved edges which kinda ruins the point of them :(
True but I have a bumper on which kinda hides that. Thank god for the bumper by the way, while on holiday I heard my wife rummage in the safe and them a thud, asked what was that and she said oh nothing lol. Looked at my phone and saw a little dent in the bumper haha

Revoh

I've decided to go back to 4.2.2 after using 4.3 for a couple months. 4.3 was a complete disaster, plagued with bugs, random reboots, stuff like that. I've successfully wiped & flashed it, my N4 and is now running stock 4.2.2. My problem now is that my phone wants to update to 4.3 again, how can I prevent this? There is no option to disable this.

I've decided to go back to 4.2.2 after using 4.3 for a couple months. 4.3 was a complete disaster, plagued with bugs, random reboots, stuff like that. I've successfully wiped & flashed it, my N4 and is now running stock 4.2.2. My problem now is that my phone wants to update to 4.3 again, how can I prevent this? There is no option to disable this.

Flash a custom ROM.

Soodanim

That's good then, at least I know I didn't receive a faulty phone. I don't recall doing anything other than normal updates, so my Chrome should be standard. Version 29.0.1547.72, to be precise .

I think this is the phone that I have been waiting for all of these years. I love all of the things you've said, but I also love how programs (even if it's only a few that choose to) can use the home button bar for their own buttons alongside the standard three. At first I wasn't sure about the buttons being part of the screen itself, but yoy realise its potential when you see how it can be used.

I just bought SwiftKey, despite owning Swype and having Google Keyboard, but now I've just gotten back into normal typing. With the bigger screen, I'm not sure I evenneed to swipe any more. SwiftKey just started bugging out on me too, so I'm finishing this post with good old Google Keyboard.

A year or two ago I denied the idea of tablets and phones becoming the dominant internet devices, but since getting a decent phone I am ready to embrace it. I kind of want a Nexus 7, too. Might just get one for the family, seeing as profiles are becoming a thing. The parents only do a light bit of browsing half of the time anyway.

linkboy

I'm running 4.3 and I haven't had any reboots (now watch it start doing it since I said that).

Anyways, I'm looking for a good case for my phone. I just know I'm going to drop this thing and I'm not going to be happy when it happens.

The case I'm looking at is the Ringke Hybrid, but I was wondering if anyone who has one could tell me about it before I go and buy it.

Nicktendo86

I'm running 4.3 and I haven't had any reboots (now watch it start doing it since I said that).

Anyways, I'm looking for a good case for my phone. I just know I'm going to drop this thing and I'm not going to be happy when it happens.

The case I'm looking at is the Ringke Hybrid, but I was wondering if anyone who has one could tell me about it before I go and buy it.
I have the official bumper, not the best protection obviously but I love it

Groof

Guess I'm next in line with random reboots and whatnot. Have had two reboots I've noticed since yesterday and my phone's lost connection with my sim card almost a dozen times in the same period. What the hell is going on?

Nicktendo86

Guess I'm next in line with random reboots and whatnot. Have had two reboots I've noticed since yesterday and my phone's lost connection with my sim card almost a dozen times in the same period. What the hell is going on?

4.3 is buggy as hell, I'd bet my bollocks to a barn dance it was rushed so they had SOMETHING ready for the new N7 launch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
4.3 is buggy as hell, I'd bet my bollocks to a barn dance it was rushed so they had SOMETHING ready for the new N7 launch.

Meh, that's said about every new OS release. Even for iOS.

I uninstalled chrome beta weeks ago, not sure if that helped with anything. I've only had 3-4 random reboots since 4.3 update, mostly while using g+, hangouts or camera/gallery.

ameratsu

This is more of a general android question but here it goes:

I stream music off a website using chrome. This website does not have an app. Is there a way to stream music while making the screen sleep? Thanks

Shambles

Meh, that's said about every new OS release. Even for iOS.

Yup. With millions of users every new update comes with a batch of these posts that clearly aren't due to the OS but due to faulty devices or bad apps running. When there is an actual problem (Like the 4.3 GPS tracking) it's pretty obvious and is quickly fixed.

Soodanim

Any good cases for Nexus 4? There isn't much variety out there for anything that isn't a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone. :(
The Ringke Fusion is apparently the most popular one out there, so you could start there. Actually, I faced by been in the thread long, but that's the only one I've seen recommended.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Any good cases for Nexus 4? There isn't much variety out there for anything that isn't a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone. :(

I still think the Rearth Ringke Fusion case provides the best style and protection for our phones. The clear plastic back is very durable and the soft touch surrounding plastic feels good. The cut out buttons are a mixed bag with some being stiff and some soft (I have stiff, gf has soft. I've dropped my N4s 4 times and I think that if it wasn't for this case I'd have cracked glass... especially the back. The rear clear plastic has saved the rear numerous times from pretty strong, pointed bumps.

In terms of bulkiness it isn't too bad especially when the rear clear plastic provides a nice smooth surface mimicking the Nexus 4 rear glass while the sides still provide a good feeling grip.

The corners of the case have raised tabs as well. This is a great feature as when you lay the phone on it's back the sounds is still pretty loud especially with a flat case that would muffle and mute it severely.

I would recommend taking this case off every few weeks to clean the dirt that gets trapped in between the read clear plastic and phone though.

Threi

notag
im using a ringke fusion right now, with a ringke slim and nillkin slim on their way in the mail so i'll update later.

as for the fusion, i initially didn't like it at first. it looks good but i felt it added too much bulk. it is growing on me though. the plastic back creates a water/oil effect (think like a screen protector not fully applied properly) that i don't like but that's pretty minor.

It does feel nice to actually use the phone without fear of it dropping and shattering though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
With my current N4 being 3 months old amd trouble free I thought I was done with my hardware issues. I guess not.

2 days in a row now.

Between 10 and 11pm my phone decides that it won't wake up from sleep. The notification light is flashing but I can't wake the phone up unless I press and hold the power button to do a hard shutdown and then turn it back on. Man 4.3 is a buggy mess.

zedge

With my current N4 being 3 months old amd trouble free I thought I was done with my hardware issues. I guess not.

2 days in a row now.

Between 10 and 11pm my phone decides that it won't wake up from sleep. The notification light is flashing but I can't wake the phone up unless I press and hold the power button to do a hard shutdown and then turn it back on. Man 4.3 is a buggy mess.

Mine does this too, about once a day or every two days. Happened overnight once and because I use my phone as an alarm I slept in.. lol. Sigh. Hope its fixed soon.

Threi

notag
For random reboots: If you go into settings > date and time, is "automatic date and time/automatic time zone" checked? Mine wasn't for some odd reason and since checking it I haven't had any soft reboots whatsoever.

The only other thing I did was install a custom recovery, use it to wipe cache and dalvik, and then go back to the stock recovery. I remember that the 4.2.2 > 4.3 update didn't seem to wipe the dalvik (usually you would see "updating app xxx of xxx" slowly) so forcing one may help.

Emwitus

im using a ringke fusion right now, with a ringke slim and nillkin slim on their way in the mail so i'll update later.

as for the fusion, i initially didn't like it at first. it looks good but i felt it added too much bulk. it is growing on me though. the plastic back creates a water/oil effect (think like a screen protector not fully applied properly) that i don't like but that's pretty minor.

It does feel nice to actually use the phone without fear of it dropping and shattering though.
Link to where you bought the fusion?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Chrome has been fucked on mine for weeks... scrolls slow, loads slow, hangs up, freezes my phone so I deleted that shit and got Firefox...now browsing is blazing fast.

Nicktendo86

Does anyone else's n4 have a slight yellowish tint on places, like towards the bottom of the screen? If I hold mine horizontal with something light coloured like Google now up things to the top of the screen look whiter and brighter while down at the bottom look a bit more yellowish. Probably the glue? Should I be concerned?

Threi

notag
Ok having used the ringke slim, ringke fusion, and nillkin slim...

I like the nillkin the most. The textured back is nice and grippy, which is what i like. Its slightly thicker than the ringke slim, and the buttons are slightly harder to press, but the tradeoff is worth it imo.

I do like the ringke fusion alot, but it adds just a bit too much bulk imo. Its very stylish bulk, but bulk nonetheless. For anyone used to larger android phones i dont see it being too much of an issue though. It also has the easiest to press buttons and by far the most protection.

Surprisingly i dont really like the ringke slim much. Primary reason being the texture of the case. Its a hard plastic thats even more slippery in your fingers than the glass back itself. The whole reason i wanted a case in the first place was for the added grip so that i dont accidentally drop the phone. This case, combined with the fact that its so slim it most likely wouldn't offer much protection, kinda defeats the purpose of having a case at all. On the other hand it does look really, really nice. But the naked phone looks even nicer.

So i rate them Nillkin slim > Ringke Fusion > Ringke Slim.

Eanan

Anyone know of any apps or anyway to add the double tap on screen when its locked and screen is off functionality, to display the lock screen like other android phones are doing now. It would be far quicker than pressing the unlock button all the time.

Threi

notag
So after ranting about the ringke slim it seems only the white version has the smooth texture, and all the other colours are rubberized instead. That would make it a better buy then.

Top Bottom