• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

zedge

After experiencing the sleep of death pretty much everyday now I tried something different. Turned off auto updates in Google play. Day and a half now without an incident. Knock on wood.

I noticed after getting the phone back on when this would happen that it would always start downloading an update. So this led me to try the above.

See how it goes I guess.

zedge

What's the sleep of death?

Mine was fine, fully charged before going out for half an hour, now I'm back and it looks dead.
Phone goes into sleep and won't wake up. Need to soft reset holding power for 20 sec or so. Pain in the ass. Especily overnight as I use the alarm on my phone, slept in twice

DTKT

Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could get any comments of a couple of issues I have with my brand new Nexus 4. It's my first phone and I'm not exactly sure on how to proceed with it.

1) The camera rattle? Seems to be rather common and caused by faulty design. Worth trying to get a new Nexus? I assume that a design issue would be present on all phones and not just a specific batch.

2) Static/buzzing/clicking near the earpiece. Somewhat annoying, but not return worthy if a new one won't be free of the issue. Again, seems to be a design defect and a new phone won't solve anything

3) Downgrading to earlier version of Android? I'm having strange wifi issues (2.4ghz) and it seems that 4.3 might be the cause. I want to try 4.2.2 and see if it changes anything. I'm sitting here with two laptops and 2 iphones and a 3rd gen ipod touch that are all getting better signal from my router. If I do try the downgrade, how risky is it and could I brick my phone?

All in all, I'm incredibly impressed by the phone but it's a shame that I'm noticing a bunch of small but annoying issues. I'm just trying to asses my options and see if a switch to a S4 could be a smart move.

Threi

notag
The camera rattle isn't faulty hardware at all. It's due to the focusing mechanism and is present in other phones as well (my 2013 nexus 7 has it as well).

The other two issues though I haven't experienced. You might have to take a trip to xda for that.

Ontopic my final case review, this time with the ringke slim black, which for some reason has a different texture than ringke slim light.

This one definitely feels better than the light version, but I still like the nillkin more. It just seems to have better build quality than the ringke.

I rate them right now Nillkin Ultra Slim > Ringke Slim Black = Ringke Fusion >>>> Ringke Slim White.

DXPett1

3) Downgrading to earlier version of Android? I'm having strange wifi issues (2.4ghz) and it seems that 4.3 might be the cause. I want to try 4.2.2 and see if it changes anything. I'm sitting here with two laptops and 2 iphones and a 3rd gen ipod touch that are all getting better signal from my router. If I do try the downgrade, how risky is it and could I brick my phone?

FYI your laptop is ALWAYS going to have better WiFi signal strength than a mobile so it's a useless comparison. Can't comment on the other devices.

My N4 doesn't have the other issues you are experiencing sorry

DTKT

FYI your laptop is ALWAYS going to have better WiFi signal strength than a mobile so it's a useless comparison. Can't comment on the other devices.

My N4 doesn't have the other issues you are experiencing sorry

Yeah, my laptop comparison isn't fair but I mostly meant to say that every single device I own is showing better dbm and signal strength than my Nexus 4. The strange thing is that it doesn't translate into a decrease in speed, but I can't really comment as my maximum speed is 350KB/s, which is incredibly slow. The camera rattle and the static/buzzing earpiece are well documented(here) but don't seem to be affecting all phones. Or they might, but to a lesser degree.

Threi

notag
Random aside but for anyone who is used to CM settings but wants to stay on stock rom/kernel (for OTA purposes) I gotta recommend Xposed + Gravitybox (needs root though). Really adds some nice features to the stock rom and when an update hits you can just disable xposed framework and update. This was pretty much exactly what I was looking for (but its useless if you use custom roms though.)

meow

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use so I can set different lockscreen/wallpaper backgrounds? :)

edit: I found one.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anybody knows of a landscape dock for the Nexus 4 that works as a USB connection to the computer?

I have an Infuse 4G dock, which I bought thanks to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2061100 but it onyl works as a power source, the PC Connection doesn't work through the dock, even though the review says it does.

I've found numeral Portrait mode docks, but I want a landscape one. Any pointers?

In case anyone is still rocking this phone, the factory image for 4.4 is out. I'm not quite sure how to put it on my phone. I sideloaded the 4.3 update when it came out and it didn't wipe my phone. I've been reading things on XDA that tell me if I sideload 4.4 it will wipe my device.

Guess I'm waiting for the OTA....for a few more weeks. :(

JonnyBrad

In case anyone is still rocking this phone, the factory image for 4.4 is out. I'm not quite sure how to put it on my phone. I sideloaded the 4.3 update when it came out and it didn't wipe my phone. I've been reading things on XDA that tell me if I sideload 4.4 it will wipe my device.

Guess I'm waiting for the OTA....for a few more weeks. :(

You can put the factory image on in a pretty similar way to the OTA. You just have to remove the bit that overwrites the user partition (ie your data)

You need an unlocked bootloader though.

If the factory image is out the OTA will be coming very soon. At which point it'll be all over reddit and you can just sideload it.

Heard the OTA is starting to get pushed out. If you get it, you should post where you are and when you bought it....

I got in on the first wave sold, so I'm hoping mine is early.

JonnyBrad

Heard the OTA is starting to get pushed out. If you get it, you should post where you are and when you bought it....

I got in on the first wave sold, so I'm hoping mine is early.

Its got nothing to do with age of device. They just throw out waves with random IMEI picking.

Sideloading the OTA file is simple. Its not even like flashing.

It is really a pain to see that the Moto X is getting 4.4 before the Nexus 4. Google is always compared with Apple and confronted with OS fragmentation on their devices. Now instead of doing something against it beside a pointless 18 month support rule (versus years with iOS) and show that the new 4.4 indeed runs superb on devices with slower hardware like the not supported Galaxy Nexus I still have to wait.

I know I could easily sideload a factory image or wait until the OTA link is published but why offer a cheap pure Google "developer" phone if it seems you just want to bringt out a new model year for year like Samsung.

skybaby

This is either the slowest staggered rollout in the history of staggered rollouts or it has stopped. No way it would be rolling out for over a day now and no one captured the URL

Nicktendo86

This is either the slowed staggered roll out in the history of staggered roll outs or it has stopped. No way it would be rolling out for over a day now and no one captured the URL

They delayed it cos of a bug and AP has an article which finally explains the roll out process, basically 1% of devices get it in the first 24-48 hours, then rolls out to 25% - 50% in the next few days and fianlly 100% after 1-2 weeks. Frustrating but at least system killing bugs are keps to a minimum I suppose :/

They delayed it cos of a bug and AP has an article which finally explains the roll out process, basically 1% of devices get it in the first 24-48 hours, then rolls out to 25% - 50% in the next few days and fianlly 100% after 1-2 weeks. Frustrating but at least system killing bugs are keps to a minimum I suppose :/

Wasn't that bug (being locked out after the update) already in KTR160 and now KTR166 is being rolled out? Wasn't a problem for the Nexus 5 - since it came with 4.4 and wasn't updated.

What I will miss is that Google blocked a few API calls when it comes to battery stats - so no more WakeLock detector for checking which app is wasting my battery the most.

Nicktendo86

Wasn't that bug (being locked out after the update) already in KTR160 and now KTR166 is being rolled out? Wasn't a problem for the Nexus 5 - since it came with 4.4 and wasn't updated.

What I will miss is that Google blocked a few API calls when it comes to battery stats - so no more WakeLock detector for checking which app is wasting my battery the most.

Yeah that is really annoying, although I was using BBS to check for wakelocks due to a wireless charging bug which has APPARETNLY been fixed in 4.4, we shall see anyway...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, the speed at which they're rolling out the update won't do. I'm an Android noob, so can someone explain why the update doesn't roll out for every Nexus at once, just like Apple's devices?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why don't you guys just flash it and stop whining. If it's that important to you, go ahead and flash it already. It's how Apple always did it before iOS 6.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, the speed at which they're rolling out the update won't do. I'm an Android noob, so can someone explain why the update doesn't roll out for every Nexus at once, just like Apple's devices?
Apple does a beta of their OS. Google doesn't. So they roll it out. I wish they did a beta.

Why don't you guys just flash it and stop whining. If it's that important to you, go ahead and flash it already. It's how Apple always did it before iOS 6.

For inexperienced users "flashing" is not that easy - you can brick your device in the worst case and a lot of people still lost at least their data by using a factory image instead of the regular OTA because it is not the "regular" way to use a factory image.

The point here is that Google tries to promote Android and wants to stop OS fragmentation over the myriad of devices but can't or doesn't want to do it themself.

Groof

For inexperienced users "flashing" is not that easy - you can brick your device in the worst case and a lot of people still lost at least their data by using a factory image instead of the regular OTA because it is not the "regular" way to use a factory image.

The point here is that Google tries to promote Android and wants to stop OS fragmentation over the myriad of devices but can't or doesn't want to do it themself.

This is silly on many levels. Bricking your device by trying to flash an OTA is very difficult, especially on Nexus devices. As for mistaking factory image for OTA, that can happen, but reading isn't hard.

And as for the "fragmentation" issue, well, once the OTA rollout begins and there are no immediate issues with it, you will see it on your Nexus device, even if it may take a week or two. There is no fragmentation there, it just takes a bit of time.

Emwitus

This is silly on many levels. Bricking your device by trying to flash an OTA is very difficult, especially on Nexus devices. As for mistaking factory image for OTA, that can happen, but reading isn't hard.

And as for the "fragmentation" issue, well, once the OTA rollout begins and there are no immediate issues with it, you will see it on your Nexus device, even if it may take a week or two. There is no fragmentation there, it just takes a bit of time.

I'd consider myself as an inexperienced android user and i'd rather have a hussle free experience. Suffice to say this was my first and will be my only nexus device. Thinking about migrating to ios actually.

Only for 18 months after that you have fall back to custom ROMs. That is what I meant and praising 4.4 for its resource saving features and dropping support for the Galaxy Nexus is a joke. I bet 4.4 would even run great on the Nexus S.

Bboy AJ

I'd consider myself as an inexperienced android user and i'd rather have a hussle free experience. Suffice to say this was my first and will be my only nexus device. Thinking about migrating to ios actually.
Over, like, two weeks max? Wow.

Apple shows off their new OS in June. Users get it in October. Looks like a faster turn around there...

Groof

Everyone wants a hustle free experience, but if so don't complain you weren't in the first rollout batch. The reason has been stated why it takes time, if you're okay with that wait, if not, sideload. Migrating to iOS won't solve much, really. Sure once they start their rollout you get it quick, but they also show it off a longer time before and as previously stated, they do beta tests. By the end of the day, you won't have gained anything.

Only for 18 months after that you have fall back to custom ROMs. That is what I meant and praising 4.4 for its resource saving features and dropping support for the Galaxy Nexus is a joke. I bet 4.4 would even run great on the Nexus S.

Yes, ditching the Galaxy Nexus was a silly thing to do, no doubt about that. But trust me in that many OEMs have released devices and stopped supporting them well before even the first 6. Google aren't alone in this and they probably have their reasons, dumb or justified. If the same thing happens to the Nexus 4 then yeah, go ahead with the hate train.

guys.. the T-Mobile Moto neXus is getting 4.4 today!

they only want to stop compatibility issues. the kind of fragmentation people talk about is not their concern at all. it's a non-issue as far as compatibility is concerned and Google just wants to make sure it stays that way.

Cigol

Is it possible to get the ota update installed on non rooted devices. Hear people saying side loading and wondering whether that's different to flashing the device?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I updated my stock nexus 4 but now my phone is stuck in some kind of loop at the logo screen.

Any idea on how to fix this ?

I'm going to try to wait the 5mins and get into boot recovery mode. Hopefully this works but this is some bs though.

Top Bottom