• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really looking hard at this phone, but after I got my hands on one today I am totally sold. It's soooo nice. Can't wait to order mine!

I hear a lot of static over headphones (different headphones) when audio is playing :(. As in it cuts out between words. I'll call the phone company when their support opens soon...

When searching for the issue I mainly see reports of static over headphones when no audio is playing.

Anyone else get an update today?

Any suggestions for a case?

I got the Adopted Case from the Google Store and like it a lot. Does the job and doesn't block the charging port or fingerprint scanner.

Since I signed up for Project Fi, I got a 50% off coupon so it was only $10 but I'd still buy it for its normal $20 price.

esai

So I have the 32 gig ones on order but won't receive it till December. None of the other ones were in stock at the time. But now I can go for a 64 gig on. Hmmmmm. Idc if I'd need that space but it would be nice. And how much longer would it have to wait on it?

Wanted to get a 6P and also give Project Fi a spin, so I ordered a 64GB Frost 6P today.

I had originally intended to get the graphite, but I dunno. I just wasn't sold on it. Black phones are usually my preference, but the white looked so much better to me in this specific case.

SliChillax

Wanted to get a 6P and also give Project Fi a spin, so I ordered a 64GB Frost 6P today.

I had originally intended to get the graphite, but I dunno. I just wasn't sold on it. Black phones are usually my preference, but the white looked so much better to me in this specific case.

The black one is a fingerprint magnet apparently.

esai

When is your expected arrival?

Berordn

I ordered the phone this morning and it shipped today with an ETA of tomorrow.

Was totally shocked by how quickly the order got processed. I thought they were low on stock and it wouldn't ship for a week or so.

That's hilarious :(

I ordered mine a couple days after announcement, and today was the last day it was expected to arrive. Still pending.

There's only a $70 difference between the two in the US (because the 16GB 5X shouldn't even be considered)

So that $70 gets you:

Bigger and higher res AMOLED screen
More powerful processor
More and faster RAM
More premium build
Gorilla Glass 4 (vs GG 3 on the 5X)
Front facing stereo speakers
Bigger battery (and better battery life, according to most tests)
Extra features in the camera (240 fps slo mo, burst shooting)

I'd say it's a no brainer, unless you don't care about any of the extras, or absolutely want a smaller phone.

When it's described like this, I can't help feeling like the 5X was mispriced. The only perk it has for me is actually the fact that it's smaller (don't particularly like the feel of really big phones). But I can't justify all the other inferior aspects of the phone for the smaller size. If it was $50 cheaper, maybe... but as it stands it really is a no brainer unless you absolutely can't afford the price difference or absolutely can't use a giant phone.

NotBacon

This does nothing to address the actual point of a removable battery, which is to replace it when the cell eventually degrades and dies. I've been able to refresh lagging phones simply by swapping out a $15 cell too many times to put myself in a position where that isn't an option.

wut

A degraded battery does not affect performance in any way.

Tripon

Spigen brand is always good, and I'm waiting on for mine. I'll give my impression next week... fucking bitch ass slow ass service.
I'll second the Spigen case. Fits like a glove, easy to take off, fairly cheap and I already dropped my phone twice and no damage.

When it's described like this, I can't help feeling like the 5X was mispriced. The only perk it has for me is actually the fact that it's smaller (don't particularly like the feel of really big phones). But I can't justify all the other inferior aspects of the phone for the smaller size. If it was $50 cheaper, maybe... but as it stands it really is a no brainer unless you absolutely can't afford the price difference or absolutely can't use a giant phone.

Yeah, I loved my 5 and wanted to keep the size but the 5X was kind of shit compared to to 6P with price gap so I bought the bigger phone. Still not crazy over the size so we'll see. Debating whether to get a cover/screen protector for it after showing up today.

esai

Was totally shocked by how quickly the order got processed. I thought they were low on stock and it wouldn't ship for a week or so.
Hmmm. Might have to cancel my previous order.

Kevyt

Ordered a 32GB Aluminum yesterday, shipped today, should be here Wednesday.

Wasn't expecting to get it for at least a week. Pleasantly surprised. Now I just need to figure out how to turn my Verizon microSIM into a nanoSIM.

Edit, ordered this SIM cutter on amazon. Hope it works lol. Seems easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P16FKY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Woah... I ordered mine on the 23rd of October... Damn it Huawei! ;_;

Yay! My 64 GB Frost just shipped. (Ordered on 2015-11-07).

Paid for free shipping but for some reason it shipped Fedex Overnight. Not that I am complaining.

Naite

Got my 64gb graphite yesterday. The phone is definitely bigger/heavier than I'm used to handling but I'll give it more time to adjust. The usb a to type c cable is ridiculously short. Forgot that this uses nano sim so I'm either going to the store during lunch to get one or buying a cutter.

Also bought a black adopted case. It's a bit too thin for my tastes and it seems to pick up some shit on the back. But otherwise all the ports are perfect (no issues with the usb fitting) and no issues with pressing the physical buttons.

Dinosur

The usb a to type c cable is ridiculously short.

Yeah, that ticked me off too. I was going to order one for the car, but since the specs said an A->C cable was included I didn't get one. The frickin' thing is like 3 inches long. I don't understand what you could possibly use it for other than plugging into a laptop maybe.

Loooooove the phone though. It's my first time using a big phone and going back to the Nexus 5 already feels comical.

divusrex

I just got my order today (64gb graphite), and I'll be debating whether or not to return it or exchange for a different color.

I just got my order today (64gb graphite), and I'll be debating whether or not to return it or exchange for a different color.
Two things led me away from the graphite in favor of the frost:

-Reports that the graphite was a fingerprint magnet

-If I'm getting a metal phone, I want it to look like metal. Of the three colors, the graphite looks like least like metal.

In other news, are there any good bumper cases out for this thing?

divusrex

Two things led me away from the graphite in favor of the frost:

-Reports that the graphite was a fingerprint magnet

-If I'm getting a metal phone, I want it to look like metal. Of the three colors, the graphite looks like least like metal.

In other news, are there any good bumper cases out for this thing?

I can confirm that the graphite color is quite the fingerprint magnet. It won't be an issue for me, since I put all my phones in a case.

As for the bumper, I would wait for this company to release one. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing people testing this bumper, and it seems very effective at keeping the phones safe. You'd want to look into the Crash Guard.

http://www.evolutivelabs.com/

cocopuffs

Banned
Nexus Protect, yay or nay?

Want to use the phone naked and don't use credit cards (so no protection plan there) so it seems like a good idea.

Dinosur

You guys got me all paranoid about the graphite fingerprints. I flipped mine over and after a day of use, I don't see any prints. What I did finally see were a few manufacturing defects (they look like circular scratches but they aren't). Blargh.

The thing has only been in my hand or a cloth bag, so definitely nothing I did to it.

You guys got me all paranoid about the graphite fingerprints. I flipped mine over and after a day of use, I don't see any prints. What I did finally see were a few manufacturing defects (they look like circular scratches but they aren't). Blargh.

The thing has only been in my hand or a cloth bag, so definitely nothing I did to it.
I've only had mine a day but nothing for me so far either. I'm not sure why people obsess over it though, who the hell stares at the back of their phone? The color send light enough that fingerprints aren't major so far.

I can confirm that the graphite color is quite the fingerprint magnet. It won't be an issue for me, since I put all my phones in a case.

As for the bumper, I would wait for this company to release one. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing people testing this bumper, and it seems very effective at keeping the phones safe. You'd want to look into the Crash Guard.

http://www.evolutivelabs.com/

Gracias. Hope it comes out soon.

Bumpers are my preferred type of case - especially if we're talking about a sharp phone. I used a bumper on the Nexus 4 because of the cool pattern on the glass back, but I went back to a full case for the Nexus 5 because the design wasn't anything to write home about. (Wasn't bad - just wasn't particularly sharp.)

Kevyt

So buying directly from the google store will ensure you get your phone faster. If you ordered from Huawei's store, you're out of luck. You'll get your phone around early December if you ordered past the 21st of October.

So buying directly from the google store will ensure you get your phone faster. If you ordered from Huawei's store, you're out of luck. You'll get your phone around early December if you ordered past the 21st of October.

Google is also pretty fantastic about returns in case of defects.

If you get it from somewhere else, you're usually shit out of luck.

So I would only buy Nexus products from Google.

How's the battery life? I kinda want one but I live in Canada and with taxes it's almost $1000. My current phone which is a note 2 only cost me like $400 maybe $500 idr.

Kevyt

Google is also pretty fantastic about returns in case of defects.

If you get it from somewhere else, you're usually shit out of luck.

So I would only buy Nexus products from Google.

Yup. But it makes me livid having waited all this time from Huawei. I just cancelled the order and gonna see if I can order it from Google Store and not have to wait 1+ month.

How's the battery life? I kinda want one but I live in Canada and with taxes it's almost $1000. My current phone which is a note 2 only cost me like $400 maybe $500 idr.
So far, it's fantastic. I posted a picture a while back, where I had 78% battery and still 17 hours left, but in terms of real world usage, yesterday, I ran navigation for about 2 hours, Stitcher for 3 hours, and general periodic Facebook, LINE, Messenger, etc., and didn't have to charge it all day. I'd have been lucky to get 4 hours of usage from my Nexus 5 before.

Lion

Man I was expecting a 6p/5x thread together. Sure the 5x is not the best android phone out but is also a nexus breed and the one im getting =\

Cool thread regardless.

So far, it's fantastic. I posted a picture a while back, where I had 78% battery and still 17 hours left, but in terms of real world usage, yesterday, I ran navigation for about 2 hours, Stitcher for 3 hours, and general periodic Facebook, LINE, Messenger, etc., and didn't have to charge it all day. I'd have been lucky to get 4 hours of usage from my Nexus 5 before.
Mmm nice. I might buy it once the price dips, or when the CDN dollar decided to not suck anymore. How's the Slo Mo recording? I saw the video of it, but is it really good in practical usuage or does there need to be idle conditions?

Sky Chief

I have graphite and it looks pretty good but if I had to buy again I would get silver. Fingerprints are not an issue but there phone just looks a bit bland if nice.

Mmm nice. I might buy it once the price dips, or when the CDN dollar decided to not suck anymore. How's the Slo Mo recording? I saw the video of it, but is it really good in practical usuage or does there need to be idle conditions?
Doesn't look great in low light and you have to get use to not starting it too early as the final view time will be so much longer than you want

wachie

After almost two weeks now I'm thinking of returning. Only because I read Apple is going to bring Apple Pay in Canada in a few months and Android Pay is in limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom