• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

divusrex

I have graphite and it looks pretty good but if I had to buy again I would get silver. Fingerprints are not an issue but there phone just looks a bit bland if nice.

For the most part, I feel the same way about the color. The graphite looks sleek, but it does feel like something is missing. I'm probably going to keep this color, I just wish Google had released the gold color in the US...

lt519

Been loving every second of mine, converted from the Nexus 5. Battery life is top notch, screen looks good, cameras are finally on par with the rest of the industry. Only gripe is I'd like the power button and volume rocker a little higher up the side. Fingerprint unlock is awesome and in a great spot.

Have the Adopted case and as others are reporting it makes screen shots really hard to do, I have to take the case off it's bizarre.

Getting adjusted to using a phone with two hands again. I can't quite reach the notification bar without repositioning the phone.

EmiPrime

Been loving every second of mine, converted from the Nexus 5. Battery life is top notch, screen looks good, cameras are finally on par with the rest of the industry. Only gripe is I'd like the power button and volume rocker a little higher up the side. Fingerprint unlock is awesome and in a great spot.

Have the Adopted case and as others are reporting it makes screen shots really hard to do, I have to take the case off it's bizarre.

Getting adjusted to using a phone with two hands again. I can't quite reach the notification bar without repositioning the phone.

With Nova Launcher you can at least swipe down the notification shade from anywhere on your home screen.

23qwerty

Fucking hell, I don't think mine came with the sim ejector and the Nexus 5 one doesn't seem to be doing the trick... pops out slightly but is impossible to pull out
Oh it was in the little safety booklet holder thing

tiny silver on silver thing... brilliant

Now do I try and cut the sim card down myself and inevitably fuck it up or do something else...

Rktk

I also went with Graphite and regret it, should have been Frost, most people knew that. It sits in a case and will never come out but still.

The phone is fantastic and going from a Nexus 5 it's like night and day, funnily enough the day I had the 6P delivered my Nexus 5 started acting up and boot looping, it's on it's last legs, it's like it saw the 6P walk in the door and said "my time here is done, go on without me".

Some niggles:

1. I do feel the lack of OIS in video, the EIS doesn't do a great job all the time especially if there are moving things in the frame, it can get confused and attempt to stabilise the moving object. For still photos it's fine.

2. The ambient notification display is not very good, it doesn't activate reliably. The LED notification light is a bit weak.

3. The whites are warm.

NomarTyme

Fucking hell, I don't think mine came with the sim ejector and the Nexus 5 one doesn't seem to be doing the trick... pops out slightly but is impossible to pull out

Now do I try and cut the sim card down myself and inevitably fuck it up or do something else...

What carrier service are you using?

Anyone of you who already have the phone that are using the phone when training? Is there a good case like the ones you have on the arm someone has experience of so it can be used for music when running outdoors?

Is there device off? I had the same problem until I turned off the phone

I didn't realize how slow and terrible my Nexus 5 had become until this moment. :eek:

Also, this thing is huge. I'll get used to it though.

How long should it take for the Sprint SIM in my Nexus 5 to become inactive after activating that number on Project Fi?

Just got mine.

Was able to use the 7 dollar microsim cutter quite easily. Popped it in and away I went. Phone is super slick.

Definitely going to need either a case or a skin go make it less slippery.

Fou-Lu

Recommendations on where to get wallpapers for my 6P? I feel like this screen and phone deserves a nice wallpaper.

After a couple of days sitting in my office, waiting for me to return from a work trip (poor lil' guy), I finally got my hands on my new Nexus 6P!

First impressions are very positive. The phone is sharp as hell. I never thought I'd say that after those first photos of the prototypes started hitting the wild. It's just an absolutely gorgeous phone, and the frost color is just stunning. The "visor" on the back is a total non-issue. It actually makes for a pretty cool contrast against the frost.

Super fast, as expected, and the camera is great, as expected. (On stills - haven't tested out video yet.)

Speakers are fucking LOUD. This is a great thing on the whole, but man, I had to dial it down a bit because notification sounds and incoming call sounds were incredibly loud. I've been used to keeping the volume up at full strength on my Nexus 5, but I'm going to have to train myself to dial it down a bit on the 6P. Otherwise I'm going to be frequently making an ass of myself in public.

On the negative side, it's definitely a bit unwieldy to hold. Found it slipping out of my hands a couple of times last night, due both to the size and to the chamfered edges. Really need to get a case on this thing ASAP. Wish we had a good bumper case out already, but I'll go with a serviceable $10 case for the time being.

Also not a fan of the power button/volume rocker placement. They're just a bit too low for me; it's where I naturally grasp my phone when I hold it, which is problematic. I wish they would have been placed at about the same height as they were on the Nexus 5. Pretty minor annoyance, on the whole, and one I'll get over pretty quickly.

So glad to finally have a fingerprint reader on my personal phone. (I've got an iPhone 6 for work that I rarely use.) It's especially helpful when using LastPass. No more constantly typing in my master password. So nice.

Well, Doze works great. battery life overall is not that great. Definitely an improvement over my Nexus 6 though.

KgMtQyb.png

Battery seems fine to me. I regularly get over 4 hours of screen time and have never run into a time where I was worried my phone was going to die. On weekends or late nights, I just put it into battery saving mode if it gets to 15% and it coasts the rest of the night without getting close to being dead.

I guess if you're doing power intensive stuff throughout the day it could be an issue, but general stuff like Twitter, web browsing, and texting haven't been a problem for me. All I want from a phone is to only need to charge it once and use it the rest of the day without worry and this phone does that.

Frodo

Battery is not good despite having a 3450 mah battery. Straight comedy.

Battery "not being good" is quite the overstatement. It easily lasts the whole day with normal use (I'm constantly streaming music, constantly connected and browsin the web on my phone). Last weekend I didn't even charge it from Saturday to Sunday and I had battery until I went to bed Sunday evening (granted I didn't use my phone as much during the weekend as I do during the week) I don't know where those complains come from.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Battery is the biggest reason I want one. But if it isn't mind blowing, I think I will wait.

Well, Doze works great. battery life overall is not that great. Definitely an improvement over my Nexus 6 though.
It's a massive improvement over my N5 (admittedly a two year old battery in that). Doze has been great on both devices though. I'm liking that I can run my 6p with bluetooth headphones listening to music all day, and have an android wear watch attached to it without concerns that my phone will be dead before supper.

Rengoku

Battery is amazing for me. The phone lasts me an entire day easily. If I'm really pushing it, with heavy use for all day, I can typically get the battery down to %20 at the end of the night. On regular work days with moderate use, I get home with at least 40% battery, and that's on cell data network (no wifi at work). Coming from the Nexus 5, this is a huge improvement. On moderate use with my N5, I typically needed to charge at work in the afternoon to even make it home.

Battery is the biggest reason I want one. But if it isn't mind blowing, I think I will wait.

If there are any issues it's probably Marshmallow's fault.

New iterations of Android always seem to debut with battery issues that gradually get ironed out with new updates.

lt519

Battery "not being good" is quite the overstatement. It easily lasts the whole day with normal use (I'm constantly streaming music, constantly connected and browsin the web on my phone). Last weekend I didn't even charge it from Saturday to Sunday and I had battery until I went to bed Sunday evening (granted I didn't use my phone as much during the weekend as I do during the week) I don't know where those complains come from.

Some people have things like Gas Buddy running in the background or other poorly optimized apps that just drain battery life all day long and then blame it on the phone. I played Fallout Shelter for like 4 hours yesterday total and still had over 40% left this morning when I woke up. I've had the phone go over 2 days without charging twice now.

93% battery at 9:00AM, it is now 3:00PM and at 65% battery.

WhatsApp is the #1 battery drainer within this time, I also have the following apps running:

PushBullet
Google Now (with trusted voice enabled)
BlueTooth ON
WiFI ON
NFC ON

The use in-between 9-3 is pretty heavy too, a lot of surfing the web using Chrome, reddit and so on. During my drive to work I had Stitcher app playing via headset connected to my car for about 20 minutes. Also made about 3 short calls.

I'm very happy with the battery life, especially coming from my old HTC ONE M7.

The battery is not an issue if the vast majority of owners are reporting great battery life...
I think it really depends on what kind of device you're coming from. A lot of us are upgrading from Nexus 5, and that has a flat out garbage battery life, so going from really, really, really bad to good is a huge upgrade. If you're coming from something like, say, an iPhone 6 Plus, though, that kind of battery life should be standard--if not a bit of a downgrade after you factor in unoptimized, battery draining apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Services is killing me and I have no idea why. Anyone else have it at the top of their list? I had two hours screen on time and Services was far and away the highest.

Google Services is killing me and I have no idea why. Anyone else have it at the top of their list? I had two hours screen on time and Services was far and away the highest.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling all updates. It was destroying me on Lollipop, but doing that fixed it.

JaseMath

Our studio got a 6P yesterday. Beautiful phone, but it's absolutely monsterous.

I hate that having a premium vanilla Android experience also means having a fucking phablet.
LLShC.gif

My first day owning the device... I unplugged at 5:30 when I woke up, and it's currently 3:05 pm with 58% left, 13 hours approximated as remaining.

Coming from a Nexus 5 that would barely make it to 3:30 without needing a charge, I am in love.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I cracked the screen and broke the touch screen on my phone a couple of weeks ago so I've been rocking an iPhone 4 while waiting for the 6P to launch over here in Sweden, but now it's seemingly being delayed from nov 18th to dec 3rd. Fucking ugh.

Anyone having sound issues? I got zero sound from the phone. Had to restart.

I also got hit by that screen off 'ok google' detection bug on the latest google search app update. Had to restart again.

What cases are you guys using? I'm still looking for a case that's super slim and transparent.

Came across Spigen Ultra Hybrid and Redshield's case but they are not much to my liking.

Naite

Anyone having sound issues? I got zero sound from the phone. Had to restart.

I also got hit by that screen off 'ok google' detection bug on the latest google search app update. Had to restart again.

I had a odd issue where I turned on my bluetooth headset to play some music but it wasn't playing anything. Then I realized for some reason it kept my volume settings (aka mute) from before I turned on my headset. Once I pressed on the volume button, it jumped to the level I normally keep my headset volume at. Never happened with my Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom