• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered this phone in 128GB Frost. Coming from the Xperia Z3.
I really really really hope the 6P doesn't let me down. Never been a Nexus fan but decided to give this a try.

Bumpers

I really really really hope the 6P doesn't let me down. Never been a Nexus fan but decided to give this a try.
Just did the same this morning but for a 64GB Frost, coming from a Z2. I really liked my Z2, but Google continuously messing around with SD card storage and having only 8GB useable makes me want to return to all internal. My previous phone before was a Nexus 4, so it's going to be a nice homecoming.

Kevyt

Just got my 6p and woah it's a big phone. It's bigger than my previous Asus Zenfone 2, and that was by far the biggest phone I've had so far. It'll take some time to get used to, but surprisingly I can use the phone with one hand just fine. It requires some good handling and finger skills but it's not as bad as some people have said.

As far as sound, is it just me but most of the sound kicks in when you have the slider all the way to the end? It doesn't sound that loud when it's at 2/3rds but almost when the sound icon is two presses from Max. That's when it area gets loud. I find this a bit annoying but maybe I'm just being picky... First two hours with the phone, will see how it goes.

Wrote all of this on phone one handed.

And that quite tiresome, lol.

_RT_

I've had this phone for two weeks and love everything about it (came from Nexus 6 and a Nexus 5 before that).

That being said... The "bend-gate" is real.
I kind of laughed a week ago when I was reading all the reports, but I came across one video that showed the phone flat on a glass surface. Press on one corner and it clearly had a small deflection in the phone as it would "rock."

I checked mine after that video and it was flat as can be. Not an ounce of movement.

Fast forward to today and there is a tiny bit of movement suggesting something has changed.

I keep my phone in a Spigen case. But I do keep my phone in my back pocket when I walk around. So.... I'm guessing bending over or kneeling down could be the cause of the issue. Just keep an eye on it I guess.

How do you get around android pay not working when rooted?
I don't use Android Pay, so it's not really a problem for me.

Root or not, though, you should definitely at least unlock your bootloader right away. Doing so completely wipes your phone, so you might as well lose everything when there's pretty much nothing to lose.

23qwerty

I've had this phone for two weeks and love everything about it (came from Nexus 6 and a Nexus 5 before that).

That being said... The "bend-gate" is real.
I kind of laughed a week ago when I was reading all the reports, but I came across one video that showed the phone flat on a glass surface. Press on one corner and it clearly had a small deflection in the phone as it would "rock."

I checked mine after that video and it was flat as can be. Not an ounce of movement.

Fast forward to today and there is a tiny bit of movement suggesting something has changed.

I keep my phone in a Spigen case. But I do keep my phone in my back pocket when I walk around. So.... I'm guessing bending over or kneeling down could be the cause of the issue. Just keep an eye on it I guess.

Huh? Why wouldn't it rock? The phone isn't flat

Elitist1945

Are there any benefits to buying it unlocked from Google as opposed to getting it from a local carrier? Besides the whole, y'know, unlocked perk lol.

Are there any benefits to buying it unlocked from Google as opposed to getting it from a local carrier? Besides the whole, y'know, unlocked perk lol.

Google is super generous with returns.

If you notice even the tiniest defect they'll replace it, no questions asked.

But they'll only do it if you bought it from them.

MoFuzz

Pretty sure the phone is unlocked, regardless of where you buy it from no?

That was the case with the previous Nexus phones, I thought.

Elitist1945

Google is super generous with returns.

If you notice even the tiniest defect they'll replace it, no questions asked.

But they'll only do it if you bought it from them.

Do I need their accidental plan for that or are they actually that generous.

Pretty sure the phone is unlocked, regardless of where you buy it from no?

That was the case with the previous Nexus phones, I thought.

I meant unlocked from Google vs 2-year term (Wind). Unless even then it'd be unlocked on a carrier?

DTJAAAAM

How's the ROM? Any rebooting or other issues?

So far it's been perfect, no random reboots or anything else unusual like that.

Curious about your average SOT?

Typically about 6-8 hours a day. I'm on my phone browsing social media or GAF most of the work day since the job is typically slow (with occasional light music streaming), and then use it somewhat sparingly at night when not near my laptop.

Hey let us know your thoughts on the phone once you get it. I have a Z3 that is somewhat broken right now and thinking about replacing it. I'm more interested in battery life comparisons between the two.

faint.

Had mine for two weeks now, loving the hell out of it. The day my folio was being delivered a woman on the train bumped into me (she was twice my size and I'm 6'1, 200 lbs) causing me to drop it. There's a small crack in the bottom left corner but nothing severe. Still kicking myself for not getting Nexus Protect though...

Also, the Folio is pretty cool. It makes one handed use difficult since you need to flip it behind the phone, but it's a nice case.

Elitist1945

Another question. My Z3 has the ability to record the screen by holding the power button. Is that a Sony feature, or is that also on the 6P?

Another question. My Z3 has the ability to record the screen by holding the power button. Is that a Sony feature, or is that also on the 6P?
Power + Volume Down = Screenshot

It's a standard Android feature that's been around since Ice Cream Sandwich. Some OEMs implement different keystrokes for it, though.

And as an aside, it's actually more difficult than necessary to hit that combo on the 6P, since they're both on the same side.

Elitist1945

Power + Volume Down = Screenshot

It's a standard Android feature that's been around since Ice Cream Sandwich. Some OEMs implement different keystrokes for it, though.

And as an aside, it's actually more difficult than necessary to hit that combo on the 6P, since they're both on the same side.

By recording I mean taking a video, not a picture. Guess its a Sony thing then.

jay23

Just did the same this morning but for a 64GB Frost, coming from a Z2. I really liked my Z2, but Google continuously messing around with SD card storage and having only 8GB useable makes me want to return to all internal. My previous phone before was a Nexus 4, so it's going to be a nice homecoming.

64gb was in stock this morning?

Airan

Huh? Why wouldn't it rock? The phone isn't flat

Really...? The design of the 6P means that all 4 corners (from the bottom of the phone to the bottom of the camera hump) should touch the surface it is on. Like a table. It should not tilt when pressed from any corner.

Husker86

Really...? The design of the 6P means that all 4 corners (from the bottom of the phone to the bottom of the camera hump) should touch the surface it is on. Like a table. It should not tilt when pressed from any corner.
Umm, no. The back is tapered to the edges.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still can't get more than 3 SOT.

Jzero

we just didn't win the battery lottery.

What are you doing with your phone? I've gotten up to 4.5 hours, but I'm generally just using Twitter, Texting, light web browsing and casting videos to my Chromecast. Nothing too resource intensive.
Spotify, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Chromecast casting (Spotify, Netflix), texting using Google messenger, browsing GAF with Chrome, Android Wear. Light stuff.

I woke up at 11 and its already at 44%

One thing to check for is reception in your areas of operation. You do this by tapping on the battery chart and it'll show you Cellular network signal. If you see a lot of red that's going to eat into the battery big time.

Some things I disabled that I have no doubt helps me keep around 4-5 hours of SOT:

Adaptive Brightness - Its so simple to adjust brightness manually I can live w/o this
Ambient Display - Yes its cool but honestly with fingerprint scan waking phone its not needed for me
NFC - I figure this can just be activated on a need basis, which is almost never lol

SimleuqiR

we just didn't win the battery lottery.

Spotify, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Chromecast casting (Spotify, Netflix), texting using Google messenger, browsing GAF with Chrome, Android Wear. Light stuff.

I woke up at 11 and its already at 44%

Yikes. Dat Facebook though.

Don't have facebook but do have Instagram. Battery life is amazing.

SimleuqiR

Is Facebook a battery hog?

It's been a few years since I had facebook, but I do remember it being a drain on my battery. From what I can gather things have not change. It's like having another Google Play Service installed and running on your phone. Always sending / receiving data.

Quick question, been looking at upgrading from my HTC One M8, it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. Ever since upgrading to Lollipop and the new Sense version, it's been a struggle.

I've been looking at the newest Nexus, and the Moto X. Big fan of the vanilla android experience, and have been trying to decide between the two, they're both similar, but first hand experience is always important.

Battery life and productivity is important to me... Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Any opinions, on comparing the two, that might help me make a decision?

Thanks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's Google services that's killing my battery. It takes up like 200 mah.

On day three of use now. Love this phone. Yesterday (more "typical" use day) at the end of the day I still had over 50% battery. Very impressed with this device so far.

I didn't realize the phone takes a nano SIM. I found out that you can cut down a micro size one and make it into a nano...hah! Worked fine.

Kevyt

Quick question, been looking at upgrading from my HTC One M8, it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. Ever since upgrading to Lollipop and the new Sense version, it's been a struggle.

I've been looking at the newest Nexus, and the Moto X. Big fan of the vanilla android experience, and have been trying to decide between the two, they're both similar, but first hand experience is always important.

Battery life and productivity is important to me... Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Any opinions, on comparing the two, that might help me make a decision?

Thanks.

I had a moto x pure and returned it after a week. It's not a bad phone and maybe I got a defective unit but it would get really hot after some internet browsing. The CPU temperature would be at 115+ Fahrenheit. The phone felt uncomfortably hot and there was a lot of slowdown. The battery would drain really fast too.

Some gaffers also had a similar experience (paging BoboBrazil) I didn't like that I had to constantly monitor the phone's temperature and close some apps so that it wouldn't get too hot.

It's a phone that feels really good to hold and I loved the moto ambient display. The display itself, even though it's LCD is actually really good.

I've had the 6p now for three days, and what can I say its grown on me already. I love it. It's harder to handle and hold than the Pure. It's much bigger and slippery. Actually this was one of the things that was making me have second thoughts about my purchase. I still wasn't sold on the size of the 6p but I'm getting used to it already.

I'll say that the 6p is the better buy.

chifanpoe

It's Google services that's killing my battery. It takes up like 200 mah.

I was running into Google Services at the top of my list as well. I was able to tone it down as my location services was running with GPS. Switch to Cell/Wifi and that helped.

The biggest issue I run into on either the Note 5 or 6P is that when I am in downtown STL my build is not very friendly to the Sprint Cell towers.

NomarTyme

I was running into Google Services at the top of my list as well. I was able to tone it down as my location services was running with GPS. Switch to Cell/Wifi and that helped.

The biggest issue I run into on either the Note 5 or 6P is that when I am in downtown STL my build is not very friendly to the Sprint Cell towers.
Yeah I have sprint too. The battery life is garabage thanks to sprint reception and me working outdoors. My reception is constantly red/orange/yellow.

Waited 3 weeks for it but it was worth it.

Frost Nexus 6P + Orzly Flexicase amazing. Only Con is there is no way to tell the difference from power button and volume rocker.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ZXPSQM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I have the Spigen version of that, which looks almost exactly the same. I think yours is actually nicer, though, since it partially covers the glass bar on the bar, where mine leaves the whole thing exposed.

Cant believe how much I paid for the 128GB here in Canada, but Im extremely happy with it, it feels SO GOOD to have Stock android after using a Samsung Note 3 for the past 2 years.

Also love the community for the Nexus, already have Root, Xposed installed, awesome tweaks and completely ad free experience, only thing I couldnt do was downgrade the YouTube app but oh well.

I got the gel case from Google. I love it. The back feels fantastic.

Got my replacement phone and it is early, but I feel like the battery is better. Will give it a few more days of real day to day use but so far, I am a believer. Those with battery problems, I say ask for a new phone. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom