• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

I tried to warn everyone before the season started. And you saw the holding, yes? Refs call the game right and he's in CFL
Homey recovers well, that's for sure.

Remember the late 90s eagles with a young Dawk at S with Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent manning the corner spots? Sort of reminds me of that situation. Vincent was obviously leagues better than Bobby Taylor, though.

I feel like there was a huge gap in tall corners between Vincent and Sean Smith/Richard Sherman.

squicken

Horton runs a 3-4, Batman. Pittsburgh guy. He's good

Homey recovers well, that's for sure.

Remember the late 90s eagles with a young Dawk at S with Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent manning the corner spots? Sort of reminds me of that situation. Vincent was obviously leagues better than Bobby Taylor, though.

I feel like there was a huge gap in tall corners between Vincent and Sean Smith/Richard Sherman.

He is good but he is also on slow side. Fast guys run right by him. NFCW just can't exploit that

brentech

the real question is were they both on PEDs during this time or was it just sherman
Yerp.
Just act like that didn't happen, much like Tate's insistence on his Phantom catch. It's one thing to deny it right after the game. But after he sees the film in don't see how anyone could still spout off like they made a miracle play.
Pete really growing a team of quality men.

Revis also doesn't see as much action for a reason. Though I don't see him as the elite CB he once was, he's still a top db.

Talon

@wyche89 Sean Payton saw enough. Steve Spagnuolo out, switching to a 3-4. Only team in the NFC South that will play an odd front.
That was quick.

I'll say this now, they don't have the beef on the defensive line or the right linebackers for the 3-4. Sedrick Ellis and Brodrick Bunkley are short one gap guys. Hawthorne, Shanle and Casillas are replacement level. Vilma can't run anymore. Curtis is great at playing the run, but he's not a guy that can fight off blocks inside - or really run with guys downfield.

They don't have much cap flexibility post paying Brees - particularly with Graham's contract looming after next season. Doesn't make much sense to me. Also makes their 2011 1st round pick (Cameron Jordan) immediately a wash. They're going to need to turn that roster inside out.

In other words, I love it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mark Sanchez looks to Jeff Garcia for guidance:

The New York Jets' Mark Sanchez is trying to get a leg up on the competition, which is why he's reached out to former Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia, who is familiar with the tendencies of new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

Garcia played under Mornhinweg in San Francisco and Philadelphia.

“It's great,” Sanchez told the New York Daily News. “Jeff sounds like one of those guys that keeps his old playbook and is still really into it. He really speaks the language of that West Coast offense. It's nice to hear the schematic side but also to hear what people think about [Mornhinweg].”

The two hope to get together in California to discuss the offense further. Garcia was impressive under Morhinweg, throwing for more than 4,000 yards in 2000.

Sanchez didn't have a good season in 2012, throwing 13 touchdowns against 18 interceptions and having the second-worst quarterback rating in the NFL.

“Mark has just come off of a tough year, a tough experience,” Garcia told the paper. “He's had some great things that have happened early in his career, and now he's at that point where things really didn't go all that well. He needs to resuscitate himself. He needs to resurrect himself not just for the fans of the New York Jets, but for his own teammates. He needs to prove that he is the guy that can lead them.”

This is not without precedent for Sanchez, who met with former Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington to get a grip on Tony Sparano's offense before last season.

We all saw how that worked out.

Kinda wierd question but I know a couple of you goons in here played Xenoblade chronicles, so is it only sold at Gamestop or something?

Edit: at least Sanchez is doing Somthing to get better instead of just eating hotdogs
Edit2: thanks Talon!

cajunator

Banned
That was quick.

I'll say this now, they don't have the beef on the defensive line or the right linebackers for the 3-4. Sedrick Ellis and Brodrick Bunkley are short one gap guys. Hawthorne, Shanle and Casillas are replacement level. Vilma can't run anymore. Curtis is great at playing the run, but he's not a guy that can fight off blocks inside - or really run with guys downfield.

They don't have much cap flexibility right now - particularly with Graham's contract looming after next season. Doesn't make much sense to me. Also makes their 2011 1st round pick (Cameron Jordan) immediately a wash. They're going to need to turn that roster inside out.

In other words, I love it.

It will work better than 4-3.
We dont have personnel to field any type of competent defense so what difference does it make?

Miguel

@BillSimmons said:
I hate everything.
1494409_o.gif

Drakeon

So like, what the fuck happened to Spagnulo? I asked about halfway through the season and got some answers about personnel, but I mean, he used to be really good right? The Saints Historically bad defense can't all be laid on personnel. I'm far from an expert on Spagnulo, but I do hear a lot of guys rave about him from when he was the Giants D Coordinator.

Talon

So like, what the fuck happened to Spagnulo? I asked about halfway through the season and got some answers about personnel, but I mean, he used to be really good right? The Saints Historically bad defense can't all be laid on personnel. I'm far from an expert on Spagnulo, but I do hear a lot of guys rave about him from when he was the Giants D Coordinator.
Pass rush solves all ills.

Personnel sucked. Spags didn't realize that Roman Harper couldn't cover a patch of grass until he got to New Orleans.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I mean, it is personnel. Who the hell do they even have as playmakers on defense? The entire team is built around Brees, much like the Colts were around Peyton.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
wow this gen ffs. It was bad enough store exclusive pre-order bonuses and other crap but now store exclusive games. smh..

We were probably lucky to get the game at all and they likely made an effort to keep their distribution channel costs to a minimum. In other words, if it was a PS3/360 game, it would have been DD only.

edit: people hate everything, such an uproar over Wind Waker HD.

Drakeon

I mean, it is personnel. Who the hell do they even have as playmakers on defense? The entire team is built around Brees, much like the Colts were around Peyton.

So, in that case, this fixes nothing?

Also, at least the Colts had a few playmakers on defense (Bob Sanders for a few games a year, Mathis, Freeney, etc.)

Yeah that Wind Waker thread is crazy, never played the original but I'll play this. I think it looks great, It's funny because almost all those people complaining will still probably buy the game.

squicken

Can't be all personnel. They showed nothing all season.

It's not. He of course benefited from one of the great front 4s of all time, but I think Coughlin backstopped him in NY, and kept his poor qualities in check. He was basically king of the defense in NOLA, just like he was king of all things in STL.

Peter principle and all that, but I think his level is position coach. The press on the east coast loves him. Reminds me of McDaniels. Huge perception difference when he gets out of the insular Northeast media loop

Talon

Also, at least the Colts had a few playmakers on defense (Bob Sanders for a few games a year, Mathis, Freeney, etc.)
Switching to a 3-4 will require massive roster turnover in the front 7. Of course, they needed massive roster turnover regardless.

Effectively Payton is saying, "I don't trust Loomis to finally find me a decent defensive end after the last six years."

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Exactly. Spags is a better DC than any of the players on defense are at their position. Firing a guy during a unprecedented season for a defense he didn't put together, with players who would be second string on nearly any other team is just stupid. Almost as dumb as moving to a different scheme with no players to fit that scheme.

Panthers fans must be ecstatic right now

Talon

I sincerely think Matt saw Roddy getting held inside his jersey and expected to see a flag right there. I know watching live that it looked like an obvious flag. In retrospect, it's the red zone at the end of the game in the playoffs - shit is always going to go down in the middle of the field.

I also think this is the first time all season we had Tony line up outside and run a slant in. If I recall, we had trips on the right, so the read was likely middle and right-side of the field. Judging from the right side of the offensive line, Matt wouldn't have had time to reset.

Be back, going to jump off a building.

squicken

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...cco-matt-ryan-among-top-quarterbacks-under-30

Gil Brandt's best QBs under 30

I sincerely think Matt saw Roddy getting held inside his jersey and expected to see a flag right there.

I also think this is the first time all season we had Tony line up outside and run a slant in. If I recall, we had trips on the right, so the read was likely middle and right-side of the field. Judging from the right side of the line, he wouldn't have had time to reset.

Be back, going to jump off a building.

On the all 22 White gets violated. Huge no-call. FMT will bring up something no one remembers, but the ref ended the game there by letting it go

Talon

On the all 22 White gets violated. Huge no-call. FMT will bring up something no one remembers, but the ref ended the game there by letting it go
I'm going to jump off a burning building into a lake full of rabid piranhas.

I actually feel worse about the pick after Roddy slipped. Offense was still in rhythm then. That doesn't happen, we at least kick a FG, and I feel comfortable about the rest of the game.

I promised my girlfriend that I wouldn't think about this game for at least a week. :(

My local Safeway is weird. Massive chips display with huge Niners flags everywhere...then cardboard cutouts of Darren McFadden, Lamar Woodley and Matt Stafford eating Tostitos.

Top Bottom