• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 13 |OT| Guns of the Patriots

ShaneB

Hell yeah for the Seahawks defence to potentially stop that 43 game run of 200+ passing yards. Fuck the pass game!
KuGsj.gif

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/09/17/the-science-of-sound-how-seattle-got-so-darn-loud/

The curves on these canopies are also key. “They are large parabolas,” says Bill Stewart, managing partner at SSA Acoustics, which is based in Seattle. Stewart was responsible for measuring the record-setting noise on Sunday night. “The curvature and angles of the canopies act to focus the sound energy onto the playing field, producing higher noise levels.”

These physics also change behavior. “Fans get caught up in it,” says Stewart. “They experience an intense increase in the sound levels that they would not normally experience in an outdoor environment, and are energized by it.” As a result, they scream even louder.

Over a decade ago, Seahawks owner Paul Allen told Jon Niemuth, the architect of CenturyLink Field, to model his team’s new home after Husky Stadium, home of the University of Washington. Allen wanted that crazed, college feel. So at CenturyLink field, the seats are relatively close to the field. In the north end zone, the design team created rows of aluminum bleachers. “When fans stomp on them,” Niemuth says, “things get really loud.”

Niemuth, however, did not anticipate the sound effects of the curved canopies. He calls this result a “happy accident.”

TL;DR: Tuna cry more (and research your shitty word of mouth knowledge)

Also from 1989

PALM DESERT — If you're planning to see a pro football game next fall, be careful when and how you cheer, and how long. And how loud.

Noticeably noisy cheering--at the wrong time--could bring a penalty of 50 yards or more against the home team.

The owners of the 28 National Football League clubs decided that at the winter meetings at Palm Desert Tuesday, when they empowered their officiating crews to penalize teams for overzealous crowds.

Referees were authorized to confiscate timeouts or, if necessary, walk off penalties against teams whose cheering fans raise the noise level to a pitch that disrupts the other team's communications.

At the Seattle Kingdome, for instance, visiting quarterbacks have for years complained that their teammates often couldn't hear the signals in the din.

The anti noise rules were made because of Seattle fans...

We been losing but we been loud

cdyhybrid

Brian Nemhauser ‏@hawkblogger 2m
Too bad Christine Michael is inactive tonight. He's my favorite part of Seahawks blowouts.

The dream is dead :(

This game has gone great for my fantasy team. Was down 8 with Graham and Hauschka while he had Lynch. Lynch hasn't done shit, Hauschka has 10 points and Graham has a TD.

Out of curiosity have Seattle ever been threatened with 15 yard penalty if the fans didn't shut up? I remember this happening in a 97 Jets/Lions game. I miss the Silverdome

This is flat out embarrassing for the Saints. The only high profile team I have seen play this poorly for an entire game all season have been the Patriots at Cincinnati. Amazing.

cajunator

Banned
Can still win the division and get a bye. It's not the end of the world. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

We wont win the division. All season long the oline has been trash. A similar thing nearly cost the hawks several times. Oline is the most important thing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Out of curiosity have Seattle ever been threatened with 15 yard penalty if the fans didn't shut up? I remember this happening in a 97 Jets/Lions game. I miss the Silverdome

The rule changes in the 90s were because of Kingdome

We were so bad the fans needed to pitch in

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
We wont win the division. All season long the oline has been trash. A similar thing nearly cost the hawks several times. Oline is the most important thing.

Oline is definitely our weakness right now. We need to really beef it up next year.

Top Bottom