• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

bionic77

I don't think anyone refutes that this year, but their D needs to start showing up in the 1st/2nd qtr or it's going to bite them in the ass.

Most playoff teams are more consistent on offense than the likes of the Falcons, Bears, Vikings, who all took early leads before the defense buckled down. The Patriots ate that up.
They have had a ton of luck this year which always bodes well for a long playoff run. While everyone shits on Stafford the guy did come up with some clutch drives to win a game. And even though it will make you sick to your stomach, remember how garbage Flacco was 2 years ago and then just lit it up in the playoffs. The same thing happened to Rodgers as well (though no one can remember what happened after he shit the bed in the NFC Championship game when Jay Cutler gave him a SB trip for xmas).

I am not saying they will win the SB, but based on recent history they are the type of team that seems to win it these days.

Now that said I don't think they will do it, but not because of the defense or qb. I have no faith in their coach. Every SB champ has one tough game where things are not going their way. Caldwell doesn't seem like he can react to something like that. They could get around his incompetence by luck, but that is asking a lot of from Tebow!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Pats could lose either game left on their schedule, but it's not really likely. Buffalo is by far more capable of handing them a loss, but Orton will have to do better than he'd done in the past couple of games. Our defense will have to do to Brady what they did to Manning and Rodgers.

Snowball's chance, but a chance nonetheless.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tq75bqn.gif

Falcons are so unfortunate in 4th down situations.

That gif should be longer as to enjoy AB's motion.

effzee

All I want for XMAS is Indy beating Dallas.

Nothing would satisfy me more than Trent Truck running wild on them, Dallas losing, and Eagles reclaiming the division.

But in relaity what will happen is Washington pulls an upset, beats the Eagles, and the Cowboys beat the Colts.

Football sucks.

bionic77

Go Chiefs. Win and you’re in. Steelers and Chargers are not easy games, but this season has been all sorts of unpredictable, 2-0,1-1, or 0-2 all seem possible. This is playoff football right now. I’m excited! Kinda sucks I got bumped out of the fantasy football playoffs in the Straggler league, but it’s back to watching football regularly and I could not be more relieved. Would love to see the Chiefence shut down Le’Veon Bell… but I’m expecting the worst.

Flying home on Friday, will be watching the final 2 weeks with friends and family, and I can’t wait. Absolutely phoning in these last few days at work until my vacation.
I am terrified of this game.

The Steelers could easily lose their last 2 games. They could easily win both games and then get embarrassed in the playoffs. Or they could get in and make some noise.

That is the problem when you have to score 30 points a game to win. Eventually the offense will hit a speed bump and when that happens we are so fucked. :(

bionic77

I don't expect it...but it wouldn't shock me. Rex will have them motivated and as long as NY doesn't fall behind early, they can run on NE and shorten the game. When they throw, give Geno one read, then either check down or scramble to minimize his turnover potential. Their defense is good enough to keep NE offense contained, especially if NY is running the ball well.
I would love to be wrong but I just don't see it.

The Jets just don't have the talent on either side of the ball.

CLE vs Car

Don't want to see any read option plays this week, was kinda disappointed by the game plan. Johnnys mobile but he's a passer, the runs will come in the course of the game. His best attribute is extending plays kinda in a romo way. Nothing came together on the game Sunday, all sides of the ball. Not the start I excepted but probably a humbling experience for him. Should be better Sunday.
Ok, you can ridicule me now.

CLE vs Car

Don't want to see any read option plays this week, was kinda disappointed by the game plan. Johnnys mobile but he's a passer, the runs will come in the course of the game. His best attribute is extending plays kinda in a romo way. Nothing came together on the game Sunday, all sides of the ball. Not the start I excepted but probably a humbling experience for him. Should be better Sunday.

image.php

Bowser

CLE vs Car

Johnny Jam Boogie is a poor man's poor man's Cam Newton.

BigAT

Good job with the OP.

Not much left to root for. I guess there is Beckham's OROY push. Also fuck the Eagles and Cowboys.

The Steelers could easily lose their last 2 games. They could easily win both games and then get embarrassed in the playoffs. Or they could get in and make some noise.

That is the problem when you have to score 30 points a game to win. Eventually the offense will hit a speed bump and when that happens we are so fucked. :(

True. Steelers have allowed a total rating of 100 in the passing game.
They have faced some top 10 pass attacks but have also faced bum town and hard to excuse it when Vick, Bortles, Mettenberger and Hoyer x2 were also on the schedule.

Pass defense is a combo of rush and coverage. KC has a rush and in a close game it takes 1 turnover to make the difference. Ben fumble or INT because of pressure would really help KC.

And it was amazing how much KC pass blocking improved by only benching the worst lineman in football Mike McGlynn for Jeff Linkenbach.
PIT sack total is low and would of loved to have the crap KC was rolling out at LG as a point to attack.

Falcons game was great.

Well...actually watching it was kinda boring, but it was great in that those are the kind of ugly games that the Steelers have been losing recently. Those are the games we need - where if one facet isn't working (in this case, Bell's running) Ben and the defense can pull their asses out.

That was the problem with the Jets game. It was entirely winnable but no unti stood up to take control.

They have faced some top 10 pass attacks but have also faced bum town and hard to excuse it when Vick, Bortles, Mettenberger and Hoyer x2 were also on the schedule.

Pass defense is a combo of rush and coverage. KC has a rush and in a close game it takes 1 turnover to make the difference. Ben fumble or INT because of pressure would really help KC.

And it was amazing how much KC pass blocking improved by only benching the worst lineman in football Mike McGlynn for Jeff Linkenbach.
PIT sack total is low and would of loved to have the crap KC was rolling out at LG as a point to attack.

How old is the girl in your avatar? 6?

So I was looking on NFL.com and see that we can clinch a first round bye if both Green Bay and Dallas loses. Not really gonna happen though since the Bucs are in full tank mode.

BigAT

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
NFL announces #Bears have selected Jay Cutler as team's Man of the Year, putting him in running for Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

Jay Cutler: amazing quarterback, vaccine discourager, Man of the Year.

MechDX

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs · 38m38 minutes ago
NFL announces #Bears have selected Jay Cutler as team's Man of the Year, putting him in running for Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

Wut?

VRMN

So I was looking on NFL.com and see that we can clinch a first round bye if both Green Bay and Dallas loses. Not really gonna happen though since the Bucs are in full tank mode.
It's nice to dream, though. Dallas losing is feasible, but Green Bay blowing it to Tampa...I would probably collapse from the shock. And joy.

ShaneB

Hell I'm terrified of it too. If the Steelers are smart they'll ground and pound the hell of the offence with Bell getting a ton of carries. Chiefs have not been stopping the run at all the past few weeks, and you've got one of the best backs in the game.

I think Ben will get plenty of pressure, so I would imagine that is certainly how the game will play out. The threat of Antonio Brown having a field day is certainly there as well. Can't load up the box when it's just as likely that Ben could bomb it down field.

Thankfully the O-line has been much better than anticipated this season. Plenty of times where things go haywire, but just as often it seems like Alex has had plenty of time in the pocket or to scramble off a run.

cdyhybrid

Thursday Night Snoozer
Titans @ Jags

“Wait, NFL Games on Saturday?
Eagles @ Redskins
Chargers @ Niners

Regular-Ass Football
Vikes @ Dolphins
Ravens @ Texans
Lions @ Bears
Browns @ Panthers
Falcons @ Saints
Packers @ Bucs
Chiefs @ Steelers
Patriots @ Jets
Giants @ Rams
Bills @ Raiders
Colts @ Cowboys
Seahawks @ Cardinals

Somebody’s Got a Case of the Monday Night Football
Broncos @ Bengals

Go Hawks

Watching NFL AM, and I like how no one can talk about the NFC South without almost choking up with laughter...
Happened three times in today's broadcast.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

Jay Cutler: amazing quarterback, vaccine discourager, Man of the Year.
Oh god, is he one of those morons?

It doesn't matter what .500 teams we've beaten. We have played the schedule that was given to us and there is no one team that is head and shoulders above the rest.

The one game we legitimately got our asses kicked was against the Patriots and a couple of dropped passes turn into completetions that game and the game is completely different. We wouldn't see the Patriots anyway until a hypothetical Super Bowl rematch.

And any good QB can be nullified by the pass rush and this Lions defensive front 7 is historically great statistically (against the run) and in terms of talent.

BTW we could still easily get the #1 seed and the Packers could still miss the playoffs even if they beat the Bucs.

All in all a great weekend. Packers, Bears, Vikings lost and we are the #2 seed in the NFC and one win away from clinching a playoff spot.

So if you face a team from the NFC South you're in good shape but as soon as you face a good team in the playoffs you're hosed.

Gotcha.

Honestly, when the Packers win that division, I just want to see the pic of the new NFC Playoffs banner next to the current existing one in Ford Field just for the luls

MechDX

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vp-houston-texans-defensive-end-mvp/20459761/

Though Watt routinely shuns the chance to campaign for himself, he's got players like Taylor offering their endorsement.

"I really like the way the kid plays," Taylor told USA TODAY Sports in an email. "Honest effort on every snap, tremendous size, strength and athleticism. We play two different positions, and he is bigger than I was, but the common similarity is the relentless mindset. I never gave up on a play. The kid plays the same way."

"What J.J. is doing is remarkable and he should be considered for MVP. Not defensive MVP, but MVP. He's had that kind of year," former Buffalo Bills defensive end Bruce Smith told USA TODAY Sports. "The only setback is that his team isn't doing extremely well. If they were performing well offensively, it would be hands down for me that he should win both MVP and defensive MVP."

But Smith, a two-time defensive MVP during his Hall of Fame career in Buffalo, doesn't seem convinced a defensive player can be the league's overall MVP, because of history, and of what Smith believes are institutionalized biases against defensive players.

It's a process that irked San Diego Chargers outside linebacker Dwight Freeney, a 13-year veteran and former AFC defensive player of the year.

"I could talk about this for an hour!" Freeney said, his voice rising as he leaned back onto a couch in the Chargers' locker room last week.
Freeney took a breath, and continued.

"Let me tell you why. It's because the NFL wants to put their focus on the quarterback. Right off the bat, a defensive player trying to win an MVP award — it's almost impossible," Freeney said. "I guess for defensive players who aspire to being the MVP, you just know it's going to an offensive player. Why is it like that? Why?"
"Why should you, if you're an offensive lineman, or a defensive lineman, or a guy who doesn't catch touchdowns all of a sudden be discredited? You can have a huge impact on the game, just as much as a quarterback or another offensive position, it's just that it's so offensive slanted," Freeney said.

"I think he should considered. Should he win it? I don't know if he should win it or not, but I do know he should at least be considered in that conversation based on the year that he's had and the numbers he's put up. Will he be? I don't know," Freeney said, shrugging. "It comes back to, what does MVP mean? You can't compare sacks and pass breakups and all that to touchdowns and yards. How can you compare the two?"

So Watt has the endorsement of LT and Bruce Smith.

VRMN

Then we lose to Chicago :(
Given this team's history, yes. But after watching MNF, I actually believe that the Bears suck too hard for the Lions to blow it. Oh they'll break on the tundra that is Lambeau in December, but not Soldier Field.

I hope.

Thursday Night Snoozer
Titans @ Jags

“Wait, NFL Games on Saturday?
Eagles @ Redskins - RG3 Heel Turn. He was good all along
Chargers @ Niners

Regular-Ass Football
Vikes @ Dolphins
Ravens @ Texas
Lions @ Bears
Browns @ Panthers - Browns/Lions Solidarity
Falcons @ Saints
Packers @ Bucs - Packers are frauds though
Chiefs @ Steelers
Patriots @ Jets
Giants @ Rams
Bills @ Raiders
Colts @ Cowboys
Seahawks @ Cardinals

Somebody’s Got a Case of the Monday Night Football
Broncos @ Bengals

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Gotta love our softball morning show (KNBR) asking Greg Roman how nice it must be too work with Frank Gore.

How about asking him about the massive offensive failure across the board?

Respect

Cowboys are undefeated in road games this year (7-0). Every other team in the league has at least 2 road losses so far.

Maybe the Cowboys should just sneak in as a wild card.

Zeke

Cowboys are undefeated in road games this year (7-0). Every other team in the league has at least 2 road losses so far.

Maybe the Cowboys should just sneak in as a wild card.
Yes please! No bye, no home games just play on the road and win.

Yes please! No bye, no home games just play on the road and win.

It is funny that the Cowboys need the Lions to lose to the Bears as much as the Eagles do. Next year the playoffs are going to expand 100% There will be 7 teams from each conference getting in. So this year basically Eagles, Cowboys, and Lions would all be lcoks. Best record in each conference get byes, 2 division winners get home games in round one, and then the divison winner with the worst record is seeded with the wildcard teams. Saints would not get a home game this year under the new system.

Greg

The Pats could lose either game left on their schedule, but it's not really likely. Buffalo is by far more capable of handing them a loss, but Orton will have to do better than he'd done in the past couple of games. Our defense will have to do to Brady what they did to Manning and Rodgers.

Snowball's chance, but a chance nonetheless.
GET AWAY WITH MURDER?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

Tine for your neato cowboy stat of the day. Dez leads the league in receiving td's with 13 and Demarco Murray leads the league in rushing td's with 11.

I'm not terrified because after the Saints game I was sure this team was headed for the toilet. So all this to me is kind of gravy. I think they'll get a split these final two games, we'll see if that gets them in. And if they do get in I can see them winning one playoff game, but after that, I doubt they have much hope.

Top Bottom