• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Related,

let's all celebrate national hero Eli Manning

eli-manning-shirtless-pool-04022012-03-435x580.jpg

Everyone should appreciate his contributions to society. Even Pack fans. They have 2700 high school championships and 4 Super Bowls to fall back on, sacrificing two in 2007 and 2011 for the greater cause will not kill them

Wow. Blake Bortles has not improved at all this year. He's just awful. Constantly throwing off his back foot, fading away. Can't read a Harry Potter book.

dreamgiver032

Neo Member
WEEKEND!!! Been getting pretty worked up about the Chiefs game Sunday. Living in northwestern PA (in a town called North East, figure that one out), I've learned to love to hate the Squeelers. The fans on the other hand... there's no love there, lol. I'll be watching with good friends that will be harsh enemies that day, so I want nothing so badly than to get the win here, then on to San Diego to finish out. Hear that Santa?!?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Scenes like this make it so baffling when people suggest a team can and should actually tank for draft position in the NFL. These guys are super pumped after a 3rd win of the season.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-galler...e-Speech/e778e1ca-cf92-4c6c-9c3d-8394dc5ac1fb

Here's the thing the team aka the front office are the ones doing the tanking by possibly just going with the status quo, possibly not really upgrading at any positions.

The players are never the ones to tank, they got their next contracts to play for.

You are a true phins fan, I'm so sorry :(

The whole dont fire a bad coach cause you might get a worse coach arguement is so fucking stupid. People said the same thing when the Eagles fired Ried. You have to be willing to take chances. Living your life in fear because things might not work out is pathetic. Ross needs to sack the fuck up and get Philbin out the second the season ends.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So when we draft a RB at some point next draft and dump Trent whenever his contract is up, is his career over? Or will he land a spot somewhere as like a 2-3rd string?

Still think he'd be ok in a straight ahead running game. He'll be on the Pats.

Depends on the individual franchise.

I have been to really good DD and really good SB. And I have seen really shitty DD and really shitty SB. A lot of the best coffee I have had was made at someones house, at a nice restaurant, or at a one off coffee house. But none of these places have drive through!

DD's hot chocolate is garbage though.

In a cinch I will drink any coffee so while I prefer good coffee I will take any coffee over no coffee. And I generally drink my Nespresso every day because it is cheaper and not bad. Throw it in a zojirushi and it should stay nice and hot for a few hours.
Tim Hortons (at least in and around Toronto) shits from a great height on them both.

the one thing I miss from my Canadian vacation

Flacco style suicide.

Not necessarily.

With the cap exploding over the next few years, it won't be uncommon to see franchise players get bigger salary numbers. It's not like he's an unproven loser either.

My bigger concern is what this means for Cam. Bus Cook represents both Cam and Wussy and he's already stated that he wants a similar deal next year for Cam. I'm not absolutely sure that hooking our franchise wagon to him for the foreseeable future is worth 20+ mil a year though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Is Alfonso Smith starting for SF?

I have to pick my last starter for fantasy championship, and it's bad (and worse if DeAndre Hopkins isn't ready to go). Who would you start:

Alfonso Smith
Matt Asiata
Kerwyn Williams (Marion Grice too)
Stedman Bailey
Marquess Wilson
Greg Jennings
Robert Woods
Joseph Randle (defininte if Murray doesn't play, but it seems like he's going to)

I have to pick one. Ugh.

Asiata based on volume.

This topic definitely isn't what it was years ago.

The whole dont fire a bad coach cause you might get a worse coach arguement is so fucking stupid. People said the same thing when the Eagles fired Ried. You have to be willing to take chances. Living your life in fear because things might not work out is pathetic. Ross needs to sack the fuck up and get Philbin out the second the season ends.

Yup, agree 100%

So when we draft a RB at some point next draft and dump Trent whenever his contract is up, is his career over? Or will he land a spot somewhere as like a 2-3rd string?
Probably. But the Colts could utilize him in a smarter fashion to get more value out of him. Pass blocking and catching out of the backfield is the way to go for him. With Boom, put him out for the first few downs and take him out on obvious passing third downs. Trent can spell him when he's pulled off a number of runs in a row, like near the end of the Texans game.

As a coach or GM, why would you take 31 year old Jay Cutler when you can get 21 year old Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston? It's not like the Titans are an erratic, middle aged QB away from competing for the AFC South.

Fox318

Probably. But the Colts could utilize him in a smarter fashion to get more value out of him. Pass blocking and catching out of the backfield is the way to go for him.

As a coach or GM, why would you take 31 year old Jay Cutler when you can get 21 year old Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston? It's not like the Titans are an erratic, middle aged QB away from competing for the AFC South.

Titans are not a QB away from winning and Cutler is going to a smaller market with less pressure and a state that he played while in college.

If you think you can save him its worth a shot.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, Cutler sounds too expensive, and not a big upgrade over Charlie Whitehurst. Maybe if it takes a 7th to pick him up, but even then, seems odd.

I thought Cutler would end up on the rams.

Fisher always likes a team full of assholes.

Tiki Barber said today that he is hearing if the Bears make Cutler available the Rams would be very interested. I just dont see it. Fisher is very high strung, and yells at guys a lot. JPout would curl up in the fetal position if Fisher did that to him.

Niners can cut Kap this offseason:

How the 49ers can bail from Kaepernick's contract

Should San Francisco decide to part ways with its quarterback, here’s how it would work. Joel Corry

December 12, 2014, 07:00 AM EST

Colin Kaepernick’s surprising regression this season and the anticipated departure of San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh could result in Kaepernick’s tenure with the team being shorter than anticipated.

On the surface, it appeared as if the 49ers made a huge financial commitment to Kaepernick when he signed a six-year, $126 million contract extension during the offseason because of the overall value of the deal and the $61 million in guarantees. Kaepernick’s extension has a team-friendly structure, as do all of the lucrative contracts negotiated by the 49ers in recent years.

Only $12,973,766 of the $61 million in guarantees is fully guaranteed at signing. $48,026,234 of Kaepernick’s base salaries are guaranteed for injury only initially. His 2015 through 2017 base salaries and a portion of his 2018 base salary are fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on April 1 in each specific contract year (i.e. 2015 base salary becomes guaranteed on April 1, 2015).

Kaepernick doesn’t have the same level of security as other quarterbacks with comparable deals. Jay Cutler, Tony Romo and Matt Ryan have $38 million, $40 million and $42 million, respectively, practically fully guaranteed at signing in their contracts, which is essentially triple Kaepernick’s amount.

Kaepernick’s contract also contains a convoluted $2 million per year salary de-escalator. Kaepernick’s base salary for the following season doesn’t decrease by the $2 million if he is named first or second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press, or the 49ers reach the Super Bowl while he has 80 percent playtime in the regular season and playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl (Wild Card, Division and Conference Championship games). Once Kaepernick reaches this threshold in a season, the de-escalator becomes void for the remainder of the deal.

The team’s loss to the Oakland Raiders in Week 14 dropped San Francisco’s record to 7-6, which virtually ensures the triggering of the salary de-escalator, so Kaepernick’s 2015 base salary will go from $12.4 million to $10.4 million. However, the de-escalator being activated won’t change Kaepernick’s $15,265,753 2015 salary cap number. The lower salary, $10.4 million, is already a part of his cap number because de-escalation is being considered likely for cap purposes.

Colin KaepernickWill Kap be in a 49ers jersey past 2015?

Kaepernick’s $12,328,766 signing bonus and the conditional guarantees make his deal a year-to-year proposition from the outset because the 49ers can part ways with him at anytime without adverse cap consequences. For example, $5,402,740 of cap room would be gained in 2015 by releasing Kaepernick before his $10.4 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed on April 1. The 49ers would have a $9,863,013 cap charge or dead money from the signing bonus proration in Kaepernick’s 2016 through 2018 contract years accelerating onto the 2015 cap.

The 49ers releasing Kaepernick in 2015 is unrealistic because teams are usually reluctant to admit they made a mistake so quickly after giving a player a new deal. It would essentially amount to giving Kaepernick a $12 million windfall by releasing him so soon because his salary is $13,073,766 this year instead of the $1,073,766 he was scheduled to make by playing out his rookie contract.

The 49ers would attempt to trade Kaepernick before releasing him anyway. Kaepernick having his worst NFL season since becoming a starter and his failure to make significant strides as a pocket passer would impact the type of compensation the 49ers could get for him in a trade. It’s hard to imagine the 49ers receiving a draft choice comparable to the second-round pick (36th overall) used to select him even though he still has upside as a quarterback.

The most likely scenario is the 49ers restructuring Kaepernick’s contract in the offseason because he has the highest 2015 cap number on the team ($15,265,753) and the 49ers have the third-most 2015 cap commitments in the NFL at $148.9 million (51 players under contract) while having slightly over $4.5 million of unused cap room to carry over from this year. According to multiple reports, the NFL Management Council informed teams at an NFL meeting on December 9 that the 2015 salary cap is preliminarily projected to be between $138.6 million and $141.8 million. The actual salary cap this year is 5.3 percent higher than the preliminary projections this time last year. Regardless of where it is ultimately set, the 49ers have cap issues for 2015.

The 49ers have built cap flexibility into Kaepernick’s contract because they can create cap room at any time during the deal with their discretionary right to convert a portion of his base salary into a signing bonus. Most lucrative contracts around the league contain a clause similar to this one. The 49ers could create a maximum of $7.724 million in 2015 cap space through a restructure by converting $9.655 million of Kaepernick’s $10.4 million 2015 base salary into a signing bonus. Kaepernick’s 2015 cap number would drop to $7,541,753. His 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 cap numbers would each increase by $1.931 million under this scenario.

Whether Kaepernick has a bounce back year in 2015 will largely determine his fate with the 49ers. If the San Francisco is able to solve their cap woes in the offseason without changing Kaepernick’s contract, then $9,368,493 of cap room would be picked up in 2016 by releasing Kaepernick before his $11.9 million base salary (assumes he didn’t extinguish the de-escalator mechanism with his 2015 performance) became fully guaranteed.

There’s a significant difference in the cap savings by releasing Kaepernick after a 2015 restructure for maximum cap space, which is more likely than the 49ers leaving his 2015 cap alone. In this instance, $3,575,493 of cap room would be gained in 2016. The 49ers would have a $15,121,260 cap charge from the signing bonus proration in Kaepernick’s 2017 through 2019 contract years accelerating onto the 2016 cap.

$14.3 million of 2016 cap room could be created by giving Kaepernick a post-June 1 designation or releasing him after June 1. The only 2016 cap charge for the 49ers would be Kaepernick’s $4,396,753 of 2016 signing bonus proration. The 49ers would also have a $10,724,507 cap charge in 2017 relating to Kaepernick with post-June 1 treatment. Carrying Kaepernick’s entire $18,696,753 2016 cap number until June 2 is required with this route. Either way, releasing Kaepernick in 2016 would be the equivalent of giving him a one-year extension for $24.8 million because his rookie contract ran through the 2014 season.
Please do this 9ers. Chip could work wonders with him.

Titans are not a QB away from winning and Cutler is going to a smaller market with less pressure and a state that he played while in college.

If you think you can save him its worth a shot.
You're right, they aren't a QB away from winning. That's why you take a young QB to lead the future of your franchise, not a washed up QB who never had a winning season playing at that college (I was at Vandy for three out of four years, I witnessed them. Blame that on the quality of his teammates or don't, doesn't make him the savior of Nashville).

I would balk at the thought of taking his enormous contract when you can get a QB at the top of the draft for a bargain and have just a good (if not better) chance of winning. Surround the young WB with young talent and get better that way. I'm a Colts fan, and we literally just did this. If I was in Tennessee, I would be howling if they brought Jay in instead of one of Mariota or Winston.

Cutler is better suited for a team with a smaller window and a great defense.

EDIT: I should note, all of this is under the theory that the Bears trade Cutler away. If they cut him, then picking him up makes a LOT more sense for a LOT more teams.

Respect

Is Kaep being told not to run by the coaches or is he just refusing/not doing it anymore? Haven't watched a ton of 9ers games, but when I do, dude rarely runs/breaks the pocket. Feel like that should be a much bigger part of his game if he is going to attain any kind of sustained success.

You're right, they aren't a QB away from winning. That's why you take a young QB to lead the future of your franchise, not a washed up QB who never had a winning season playing at that college (I was at Vandy for three out of four years, I witnessed them. Blame that on the quality of his teammates or don't, doesn't make him the savior of Nashville).

I would balk at the thought of taking his enormous contract when you can get a QB at the top of the draft for a bargain and have just a good (if not better) chance of winning. Surround the young WB with young talent and get better that way. I'm a Colts fan, and we literally just did this. If I was in Tennessee, I would be howling if they brought Jay in instead of one of Mariota or Winston.

Cutler is better suited for a team with a smaller window and a great defense.

EDIT: I should note, all of this is under the theory that the Bears trade Cutler away. If they cut him, then picking him up makes a LOT more sense for a LOT more teams.
Mariota maybe, but Winston is trash. Him and Cutler are regressing at a similair rate.

Top Bottom