• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 4 |OT| Taking a stand by taking a knee

cdyhybrid

DFZOACL.jpg

My boy (and also Floy's boy) Darboh

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
we're getting bad ratings because the NFL has set it up where if your team isnt stacked, you need a good qb to stay somewhat relevant. There's not many good qb's in the league, so like more then half the league has no chance of winning a title, and no chance of succeeding.

I'd be hard pressed to watch football if my QB was Jay Cutler

i agree with this 100%.

but what changed, needing a top tier QB or an elite defense has been a thing for pretty much the last 17 years and seemed like people, like me, were watching every game possible.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I got you Jarate:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/09/trump-hotels-tweets-ugly-steak.html

Noted gourmand Donald Trump’s hotels are famous for their beautiful, wonderful food, like pizza that looks like a reject from the Lunchables R&D kitchen and martinis that time traveled from 1972.

Today, the Trump Hotels added a new dish to this murderer’s row: a desiccated steak — the president’s favorite food — you’d be reluctant to feed your dog.
It’s served at the Trump International Hotel & Tower on an Instagrammable slate plate, with a randomly strewn assortment of vegetables, something crumbly, and some orange sauce that looks like reduced Sunkist mixed with pumpkin.

DI2szrj.jpg

yIB1u7D.jpg

gutshot

we're getting bad ratings because the NFL has set it up where if your team isnt stacked, you need a good qb to stay somewhat relevant. There's not many good qb's in the league, so like more then half the league has no chance of winning a title, and no chance of succeeding.

I'd be hard pressed to watch football if my QB was Jay Cutler

I dunno. The NBA is even more top heavy and superstar dependent and, although it doesn't pull in NFL-level ratings, it feels like interest in the NBA is at an all-time high.

I don't know if you can point to any one factor for the NFL ratings decline. It's a cumulative effect of a fractured media landscape, too many off-field controversies, and a declining on-field product.

Doomsayer

I dunno. The NBA is even more top heavy and superstar dependent and, although it doesn't pull in NFL-level ratings, it feels like interest in the NBA is at an all-time high.

I don't know if you can point to any one factor for the NFL ratings decline. It's a cumulative effect of a fractured media landscape, too many off-field controversies, and a declining on-field product.

The product of the NFL is much worse than the product of the NBA. There is less football on than basketball, and when 70% of the product is mediocre no one tunes in.

The NBA is more exciting in general as well.

Tankard

I have a big problem here. The bucs are behind 1 week in football gaming time and jameis clearly hasnt been hit enough to be even in the top 10. what kinda garbage is going on here? is it because he loves to scramble? I mean there is like no trust for him for his O line

I see the same kind of issues he had at FSU, absolute elite at times , poor decision making at others. I thought he would have erased some of that by now.

captive

The product of the NFL is much worse than the product of the NBA. There is less football on than basketball, and when 70% of the product is mediocre no one tunes in.

The NBA is more exciting in general as well.

disagree with that.

Hindl

Just a few years ago we had a lot of really good QBs. I feel like the following teams dropping off a cliff hasn't helped:

Steelers
Ravens
Niners
Seattle kinda
Cincinnati
Colts
Chargers used to be very competitive
Bears
Saints
Jets were good for a second
Giants aren't what they used to be
Philly hasn't been as good

I feel like the list of teams that have gotten considerably better is much smaller.

Raiders
Cowboys
Falcons (but they've been in the mix for several years so I dont know if this counts)
Rams??
Lions
Vikings (to an extent)
Broncos
Chiefs
Titans, maybe Jags and Bucs, and Bears have a solid team around Trubisky when he's ready, so there's some talent coming up. We'll see if Watson pans out too. And homer opinion but the Eagles seem like they're on the rise too

The problem is we're leaving one of the best eras of QB play ever, and the 2009-2013 drafts didn't really produce any talent to make up for it. There was a delayed reaction since the good teams still had their franchise QBs and the bad teams had busts but whatever since the good QBs were in their prime. But in the last few years the franchise QBs got old so the good teams declined, but the bad teams still sucked because they didn't get good QBs to develop and take over as league leaders. Imo it's getting better now though because the last few drafts look like they've produced some talent, so I don't think it'll remain an issue

The NBA plays 2624 regular season games

The NFL plays 512

Ratings aren’t everything when you’re playing so many more games.

Jarate

Banned
Colleges have stopped trying to develop pro players, especially in the QB position. College basketball only lasts 1 year, and doesnt ruin players careers in the short term nearly as much as football does.

All the high end qbs coming into the league are dual threat QBs, these ones get injured really easily in the NFL

There's also a lot of really really bad football because teams keep wasting high draft picks on useless QBs.

After all of the stuff I'm reading about how the Eagles use an analytics team to help make calls on whether to go for it on 4th and X I'm a lot less down on Pederson for going for it there. After seeing that Wentz had two open receivers on the play that Pederson called and just didn't throw the ball I'm basically not down on Pederson at all. That was really the only questionable call that entire game, and Pederson called the right play based on both the analytics and in terms of getting players open. It's sad it didn't work out the way it could have but the Eagles could probably haved iced that game then if they convert and score there.

cdyhybrid

Colleges have stopped trying to develop pro players, especially in the QB position. College basketball only lasts 1 year, and doesnt ruin players careers in the short term nearly as much as football does.

All the high end qbs coming into the league are dual threat QBs, these ones get injured really easily in the NFL

There's also a lot of really really bad football because teams keep wasting high draft picks on useless QBs.
Wut

There's really only one dual threat QB being talked about as a high draft pick

Titans, maybe Jags and Bucs, and Bears have a solid team around Trubisky when he's ready, so there's some talent coming up. We'll see if Watson pans out too. And homer opinion but the Eagles seem like they're on the rise too

The problem is we're leaving one of the best eras of QB play ever, and the 2009-2013 drafts didn't really produce any talent to make up for it. There was a delayed reaction since the good teams still had their franchise QBs and the bad teams had busts but whatever since the good QBs were in their prime. But in the last few years the franchise QBs got old so the good teams declined, but the bad teams still sucked because they didn't get good QBs to develop and take over as league leaders. Imo it's getting better now though because the last few drafts look like they've produced some talent, so I don't think it'll remain an issue

The QB issue is overblown.

The problem is more teams as a whole suck ass.We talk about the era of franchise QB - the same era that produced Philip Rivers and Drew Brees, both on teams who haven't sniffed 8-8 in years. Brees had 11 rolls of toilet paper on defense for years, and now doesn't even have an offense to work with. Chargers let the team fall to shit around Rivers after LDT left.

This league is chasing franchise QBs too much. What they need to do is build the strength of a team - O and D lines, then the complementary pieces, THEN get the QB. The past few teams to see consistent success did just that - Denver, and Seattle are good examples. (though now that they paid Russell even Seattle is letting the rest of the team fall to shit, starting with the o-line).

Hindl

Wut

Yeah there's a difference between a dual threat QB and a mobile QB. I wouldn't call Wentz and Dak dual threat QBs but they're mobile and can run if they have to. But I don't see coaches calling a bunch of RPOs or designed QB runs with these guys like they would with Kap or RGIII

The problem is more teams as a whole suck ass.We talk about the era of franchise QB - the same era that produced Philip Rivers and Drew Brees, both on teams who haven't sniffed 8-8 in years. Brees had 11 rolls of toilet paper on defense for years, and now doesn't even have an offense to work with. Chargers let the team fall to shit around Rivers after LDT left.

This league is chasing franchise QBs too much. What they need to do is build the strength of a team - O and D lines, then the complementary pieces, THEN get the QB. The past few teams to see consistent success did just that - Denver, and Seattle are good examples. (though now that they paid Russell even Seattle is letting the rest of the team fall to shit, starting with the o-line).
Yeah that's the traditional way to build a team. The problem is fans and teams in general have a lot less patience for development than they used to. For FOs and Head Coaches, they don't have the time to do that. They have to start winning or at least be headed in the right direction quickly or they'll be fired. A QB is the shortest road to wins, so teams are chasing them and hoping that saves their job long enough to build out the rest of the team. But QBs and OL are much less ready for Pro style offenses than they used to so it's a huge gamble that usually fails

Doomsayer

I have to agree with this. Teams are blowing their loads with insane QB contracts. It's getting harder and harder for teams to stay competitive if their QB isn't on a rookie contract.

Stafford is the best example. He doesn't deserve the money he was given but what was Detroit supposed to do? Let him walk and spend years in the gutter again and hopefully get lucky when they draft a QB high?

Jarate

Banned
Wut

last year we had Kizer and Watson, Mohames can run as well (Dont know anything about Trubisky)

and even then, there's been a few high end dual threat in recent drafts QBs, Marcus Mariota, RG3, Jameis can run, Paxton Lynch, and so on

All those guy were selected 1st round too.

cdyhybrid

Them paying the defense is just as much an issue as paying Russell. Don't get me wrong, those guys absolutely earned their money, but you have to go cheap somewhere. In hindsight, I wonder if they should have let Sherman and/or Kam walk and drafted there instead - especially since they seem much more adept at identifying DBs than OL.

last year we had Kizer and Watson, Mohames can run as well (Dont know anything about Trubisky)

and even then, there's been a few high end dual threat in recent drafts QBs, Marcus Mariota, RG3, Jameis can run, Paxton Lynch, and so on

All those guy were selected 1st round too.
As mentioned above, Kizer and Mahomes are not dual threat QBs. I think even Watson is borderline - his long TD run last week was due to great blocking more than anything.

If Kizer and Mahomes are dual threat, so are Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

Kusagari

Fewer and fewer QB's are going to be complete statues like Marino or Rivers is currently.

That doesn't mean a guy like Jameis should be considered duel threat.

Yeah that's the traditional way to build a team. The problem is fans and teams in general have a lot less patience for development than they used to. For FOs and Head Coaches, they don't have the time to do that. They have to start winning or at least be headed in the right direction quickly or they'll be fired. A QB is the shortest road to wins, so teams are chasing them and hoping that saves their job long enough to build out the rest of the team. But QBs and OL are much less ready for Pro style offenses than they used to so it's a huge gamble that usually fails

People talk about this "patience" - what's worse? Taking 5 years to build a team or 10 with trotting bust after bust out?

I have to agree with this. Teams are blowing their loads with insane QB contracts. It's getting harder and harder for teams to stay competitive if their QB isn't on a rookie contract.

Stafford is the best example. He doesn't deserve the money he was given but what was Detroit supposed to do? Let him walk and spend years in the gutter again and hopefully get lucky when they draft a QB high?

You're a Niners fan yes? That team was stacked. So stacked that team had to respect Kaepernick, who was always a one read QB.

I'm over the "franchise" QB. Only QB to win in spite of his team was Brady. That's one guy.

captive

this is so much easier said than done.
Denver only got Manning cause he got injured these types of QBs dont exactly come up often. Seattle got exceedingly lucky with Wilson.

Look at the Texans, they built it exactly as you said, very good defense, offensive weapons, QBs suck.

this is so much easier said than done.
Denver only got Manning cause he got injured these types of QBs dont exactly come up often. Seattle got exceedingly lucky with Wilson.

Look at the Texans, they built it exactly as you said, very good defense, offensive weapons, QBs suck.

What i'm saying though is you don't NEED a Peyton Manning. You need to give whatever quarterback you put back there enough time to blink before getting crushed. Too many teams draft a "franchise" guy, only to get him drilled into oblivion behind 5 slugs at OL.

Hindl

People talk about this "patience" - what's worse? Taking 5 years to build a team or 10 with trotting bust after bust out?

You're a Niners fan yes? That team was stacked. So stacked that team had to respect Kaepernick, who was always a one read QB.

I'm over the "franchise" QB. Only QB to win in spite of his team was Brady. That's one guy.
I absolutely agree, but that comes from the perspective of an owner or fan. A FO or HC doesn't have the goodwill to commit to that timeframe unless they produce early results. I guess the Browns will be a good test with Hue. That team was garbage and they said they'd give him time to craft the team. They're looking better but still not winning games, and that'll test how patient everyone can be

Aaron Rodgers, another example. "Franchise guy" hasn't been able to return to the Super Bowl after winning it with a team stacked on both sides of the ball.

captive

What i'm saying though is you don't NEED a Peyton Manning. You need to give whatever quarterback you put back there enough time to blink before getting crushed. Too many teams draft a "franchise" guy, only to get him drilled into oblivion behind 5 slugs at OL.

ok but thats not what you said. And Denver hasn't done jack without Manning. With Manning they went to two Superbowls and won one of them.

Look at the last ten superbowls. Almost exclusively the teams that won them had a QB considered elite by most people or a QB that somehow managed to play elite during the playoffs. There's like two teams that won it solely because they had a historically great defense.

Doomsayer

Yup, Niners fan and we were stacked. We should've remained competitive but our dumb fuck GM whiffed on every pick from rounds 1-3 for nearly 3 years straight. Absolute incompetence to the highest degree.

Rvaan

Banned
Them paying the defense is just as much an issue as paying Russell. Don't get me wrong, those guys absolutely earned their money, but you have to go cheap somewhere. In hindsight, I wonder if they should have let Sherman and/or Kam walk and drafted there instead - especially since they seem much more adept at identifying DBs than OL.

As mentioned above, Kizer and Mahomes are not dual threat QBs. I think even Watson is borderline - his long TD run last week was due to great blocking more than anything.

If Kizer and Mahomes are dual threat, so are Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

Watson had almost 2k yards rush at Clemson.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yup, Niners fan and we were stacked. We should've remained competitive but our dumb fuck GM whiffed on every pick from rounds 1-3 for nearly 3 years straight. Absolute incompetence to the highest degree.

Also losing a winning head coach didn't help despite the locker room issues

cdyhybrid

Watson had almost 2k yards rush at Clemson.
College ain't the league though. We'll see if he keeps running like that with regularity.

Vick and Kaep were legit "defensive players shitting themselves" NFL runners when they got into the open field.

I'm not even sure Russell is that anymore now that he's always banged up.

ok but thats not what you said. And Denver hasn't done jack without Manning. With Manning they went to two Superbowls and won one of them.

Look at the last ten superbowls. Almost exclusively the teams that won them had a QB considered elite by most people or a QB that somehow managed to play elite during the playoffs. There's like two teams that won it solely because they had a historically great defense.

Last 10 Super Bowl winners:
Code:
XLII	Feb. 3, 2008	University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.)	New York Giants 17, New England 14
XLIII	Feb. 1, 2009	Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.)	Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23
XLIV	Feb. 7, 2010	Sun Life Stadium (Miami)	New Orleans Saints 31, Indianapolis Colts 17
XLV	Feb. 6, 2011	Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas)	Green Bay Packers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 25
XLVI	Feb. 5, 2012	Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)	New York Giants 21, New England Patriots 17
XLVII	Feb. 3, 2013	Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans)	Baltimore Ravens 34, San Francisco 49ers 31
XLVIII	Feb. 2, 2014	MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.)	Seattle Seahawks 43, Denver Broncos 8
XLIX	Feb. 1, 2015	University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.)	New England Patriots 28, Seattle Seahawks 24
50	Feb. 7, 2016	Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.)	Denver Broncos 24, Carolina Panthers 10
LI	Feb. 5, 2017	NRG Stadium (Houston)	New England Patriots 34, Atlanta Falcons 28

Of those teams, the only team to win on the back of their franchise QB only were the Asterisks. Even the Peyton Manning led Broncos went out and paid for a defense after they were embarrassed by Seattle. As it stands, yes Peyton was considered a franchise guy, but he didn't win that game for them - the defense did.

What's funny? Packers had a top 3 defense their Super Bowl year. Not to mention Pack fans are in here complaining on a weekly basis that Thompson and Capers are wasting Rodgers prime with a trash defense.

Teams and fans waiting their whole lives for the one QB that's going to fix everything

Meanwhile Flacco and Dilfer got carried to rings, and I'm set for life because of it
NH9gE7v.gif

Top Bottom