• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Wrayfield

More fun for the Dolphins

YAY!!

MhLbA.gif

ChanHuk

Banned
Im not trying to be a homer but the only back I can think of in recent memory that was worth a high pick was AP. Even then, there are a number of players that can put similar results despite being a level or two below him in talent.

There are too many backs of great value in later rounds.

This, RBs are a dime a dozen. Especially considering their short careers, they're simply not worth a first round pick anymore, especially a top 5 pick. That being said, McFadden is awesome, except he gets hurt by grass. He's a pretty complete back too bad he can't stay healthy. People kept saying that Bush was the power back, but McFadden ran harder and can be shifty. His blocking skills are amazing and can line up at WR.

hiryu

If the Browns stay at 4 the pick better be Richardson or Blackmon and I only want Blackmon if they go Weeden at 37.

If Kalil falls to 4 you have to trade down and then you can go maybe Floyd or Tanneheil.

Also, someone like Massie might fall to 37 for the Browns to get a RT.

I'd like any of the following.

4. Richardson
22. Wright
37. Massie

4. Richardson
22. Johnathan Martin
37. Randle

4. Blackmon
22. Johnathan Martin
37. Weeden

4. Blackmon
22. Doug Martin
37. Weeden

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Bored, So i decided to look at how top 15 drafted rb's have faired. Will go back until i am bored of doing this.

2010; CJ Spiller 9th 844 rushing yards 4td / 426 receiving 3tds
2010; Ryan Mathews 12th 1769 rushing yards 13td/ 600 receiving 0 tds
2009; Knowshon Moreno 12th 1905 rushing yards 12 tds / 686 receiving 6tds
2008; Johnathan Stewart 13th 3500 rushing yards 35 tds/ 702 receiving 3tds
2008; Darren McFadden 4th 2627 rushing yards 16tds / 1191 4tds
2007; Marshawn Lynch 12th 4542 rushing yards 35 tds / 1020 2 tds
2007; Adrian Peterson 7th 6752 rushing yards 64 tds / 1309 3 tds
2006; Reggie Bush 2nd 3176 rushing yards 23 tds / 2438 13 tds
2005; Caddilac Williams 5th 4038 rushing yards 21 tds / 1002 4tds
2005; Cedric Benson 4th 5769 rushing yards 31 tds / 736 4tds
2005; Ronnie Brown 2nd 4951 rushing yards 37 tds / 1491 4tds
2001; LaDainian Tomlinson 5th 13684 rushing yards 145 tds/ 4772 17tds
2000; Ron Dayne 11th 3722 rushing yards 28 tds / 340 0 tds
2000; Thomas Jones 7th 10591 rushing yards 68 tds / 2023 3tds
2000; Jamal Lewis 5th 10607 rushing yards 58 tds/ 1879 4 tds
1999; Ricky Williams 5th 10009 rushing yards 66 tds / 2606 8tds
1999; Edgerrin James 4th 12246 rushing yards 80 tds / 3364 11 tds
1998; Fred Taylor 9th 11695 rushing yards 66 tds / 2384 8 tds
1998; Curtis Enis 5th 1497 rushing yards 4 tds / 428 2 tds
1997; Warrick Dunn 12th 10967 rushing yards 49 tds / 4349 15 tds

So basically if Richardson is LT or AP, draft him.

If you aren't sure he can produce like one of those two, pass on him I guess.

I didn't even think the return on those early investments were that putrid. It's worse than I thought.

I have no doubt that if we did the same list for every other position the return would be basically the same. The draft is a huge crapshoot. Teams should always draft the best player, even if he is a RB. I would love for Richardson to fall to the Eagles but it wont happen.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Sorry the value of running backs has historically been overvalued, and with the way the game is played today it's more true than ever. It's hilarious people keep mentioning backs in here who were late round draft picks or completely undrafted, it's a horrible argument at justifying spending a top 5 pick on the most expendable position in the NFL.

Running the football in most scenarios is a net negative. The best offenses in football have replaceable scrubs at RB for a reason, because running on a down that isn't short yardage or goal line is playing sub-optimal football in today's NFL.

The Browns have a lot of holes to fill. If you really think your team can afford to burn a top 5 pick on a running back instead of addressing a more pressing need then you're drinking way too much kool-aid.

The best justification to taking a back early on is if you are getting one that helps the team in the passing game. I don't know what scouts think of his pass catching skills, I was never blown away by that part of his game watching it in college. If it's not there then it's not worth taking him that early.

Drafting is an inexact science. It's hard to predict via the draft who will be productive at the NFL level and worth the spot they were chosen in. You can make the argument that every position is overvalued in the first round.

Now, if RBs are so replaceable and not worth much, why are they getting monster deals when they become eventual free agents? Foster, AP, Ray Rice, SJax, etc.

edit: Looks like Yankeehater beat me to the punch. Should be common sense.

jakncoke

Banned
:jnc funny or "thats interesting" funny?

It makes sense considering the transition to a passing oriented game.

Interesting. As you look at the years following and how many can you say look to be 10k rushers. AP and maybe Run DMC. so going from 7 of 9 or 77.7% to 2 of 11 maybe even 1 of 11 aka 18.1% drop. Although im sure if we looked deeper 97-01 would just be a statistical anomaly and there wouldn't be any other periods with that much production.

Drafting is an inexact science. It's hard to predict via the draft who will be productive at the NFL level and worth the spot they were chosen in. You can make the argument that every position is overvalued in the first round.

Now, if RBs are so replaceable and not worth much, why are they getting monster deals when they become eventual free agents? Foster, AP, Ray Rice, SJax, etc.

edit: Looks like Yankeehater beat me to the punch. Should be common sense.

I think the mindset is that there are few non replaceable backs. Not that they are useless as a whole.

KingGondo

Banned
Trent Richardson is tremendous, but man... I think the Browns would be better off picking Blackmon and grabbing someone like Doug Martin with their early 2nd-round pick.

Let's say Trent ends up being 3/4 the player that Adrian Peterson is, which is probably an optimistic projection. The Vikes were still at their best when they had a lethal passing attack in Favre's first year there, and physical runners like AD and Richardson can't help but get banged up in today's NFL.

I'm biased though, I want both Weeden and Blackmon to end up in Cleveland.

Trent Richardson is tremendous, but man... I think the Browns would be better off picking Blackmon and grabbing someone like Doug Martin with their early 2nd-round pick.

Let's say Trent ends up being 3/4 the player that Adrian Peterson is, which is probably an optimistic projection. The Vikes were still at their best when they had a lethal passing attack in Favre's first year there, and physical runners like AD and Richardson can't help but get banged up in today's NFL.

Ehh I don't want to see weeden or Any of this years Qbs on the browns unless it's in a later round beyond the 3rd Or unless Tannehill some how falls to the 2nd

Jacobs deal with the Niners:

Mike Garafolo ‏ @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Brandon Jacobs' deal with the 49ers: $950k base, $150k signing bonus, $475k roster bonus. $1.575m total.
Apparently, it was a hair over the Giants original offer to him.

Wes

venison crêpe
I like Weeden. But I don't like him enough to take him anywhere above low 2nd round.

I'd rather stockpile and make a move for Barkley next year.

I like Weeden. But I don't like him enough to take him anywhere above low 2nd round.

I'd rather stockpile and make a move for Barkley next year.

I dont get why everyone seems so high on Weeden all of the sudden. I dont think he has the arm strength or the accuracy to be great.

KingGondo

Banned
yankeehater said:
I dont get why everyone seems so high on Weeden all of the sudden. I dont think he has the arm strength or the accuracy to be great.
Of ALL the things to criticize Weeden for, arm strength and accuracy have to be the two least legitimate.

Oklahoma State's entire offense was predicated on his arm strength and accuracy.

goldlion054 said:
Agreed. I think he benefited immensely from a weak Big-12 defense and the best receiver in college football. Career backup
As opposed to Luck, RG3 and Tannehill, who played against great defenses and had terrible receivers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys

Check out the receivers' stats--he's really good at spreading the ball around (and I'm not denying that Blackmon is a beast).

Plus...just look at him:

brandon-weeden-mug_t620.jpg

Still, I suppose he's less douchey than the ultimate douchebag...

jimmy-clausen.jpg

..and yes I'm just having fun with Weedon mainly because it gives me the opportunity to shit on Clausen who I'm happy to see wilt away as a career clip board holder

Of ALL the things to criticize Weeden for, arm strength and accuracy have to be the two least legitimate.

Oklahoma State's entire offense was predicated on his arm strength and accuracy.

I watched a few of his games this year and I just dont think he has the physical tools top QBs normally have. You say their offense was predicated on his arm strength and accuracy, but I saw plenty of plays were blackmon was wide open and he would put the ball behind him and make him break stride and have to reach back for the ball. Their offense was based on teams having to over commit to Blackmon and that leaving other guys uncovered. We will see how he does in the pros but I think any team that spends a 1st on him will wind up sorry that they did.

KingGondo

Banned
I watched a few of his games this year and I just dont think he has the physical tools top QBs normally have. You say their offense was predicated on his arm strength and accuracy, but I saw plenty of plays were blackmon was wide open and he would put the ball behind him and make him break stride and have to reach back for the ball. Their offense was based on teams having to over commit to Blackmon and that leaving other guys uncovered. We will see how he does in the pros but I think any team that spends a 1st on him will wind up sorry that they did.
He's big, athletic, and has a strong arm. What other "physical tools" is he lacking? No offense, but that is meaningless draftspeak bullshit.

I can't answer your criticisms of him throwing behind Blackmon unless you can point out specific examples.

As opposed to Luck, RG3 and Tannehill, who played against great defenses and had terrible receivers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys

Check out the receivers' stats--he's really good at spreading the ball around (and I'm not denying that Blackmon is a beast).

I take no claim in being an expert, but I just don't think Weeden has the dynamic abilities of Luck or Griffin (I don't like Tannehill, personally). Maybe he will prove me wrong and be a stud NFL player. But I think he will remain on the list of great college QBs from Ok. State, in recent years, that doesn't translate to the nfl

Wellington said:
Fucked up that he wouldn't take a 'hair' less to stay with the team he won 2 SBs with.
You can tell Brandon took it like some kind of badge of honor/pride. He wasn't going to take less than what he wanted from the Giants and Reese wasn't going to give him anything else. It was time to move for the Giants, anyway. I'm eager to see what we do in the draft (there's no doubt we'll draft an RB) and how Scott develops

KingGondo

Banned
I take no claim in being an expert, but I just don't think Weeden has the dynamic abilities of Luck or Griffin (I don't like Tannehill, personally). Maybe he will prove me wrong and be a stud NFL player. But I think he will remain on the list of great college QBs from Ok. State, in recent years, that doesn't translate to the nfl
Luck and Griffin are better prospects, I don't deny that. I'm just defending Weeden against criticism of invented faults in his game. If he's put in the right situation, I have no doubt that Weeden can be a solid starting QB next year in the NFL.

Also, predicting success or evaluating talent based on school is silly. Nobody thought Josh Fields or Zac Robinson would be elite NFL prospects even though they were great college players. How many schools have produced more than 1-2 quality NFL starting QBs?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

AD/AP has had injury problems since College, and it's carried on into his NFL career. Richardson, so far, has been injury resistant. AD/AP is more agile in his moves, but I'd say they were both about the same in straight up power running. Unsure on how they measure up at top speed and acceleration, and @ Alabama, they just didn't throw the ball very much. But Richardson can catch well and block well to great. Richardson also doesn't fumble the ball, which Peterson does. Often.

Richardson's shorter, but 10-15 lbs heavier. Also has less carries in College than AD/AP, so less wear and tear.

I'd rather he go to the Browns over the Bucs, as I don't want Schiano getting his schmarmy mitts on him.

Brandon Wheeden is the same age as Aaron Rodgers...you have to believe his length of playing time left, will be shorter than the other rookie QB's.

He's big, athletic, and has a strong arm. What other "physical tools" is he lacking? No offense, but that is meaningless draftspeak bullshit.

I can't answer your criticisms of him throwing behind Blackmon unless you can point out specific examples.

I dont see how you can say he is athletic. Here are his pro-day results compared to Luck's combine results:

40 yard dash:

4.98s
4.59s

3 cone drill:

7.36s
6.8s

Broad jump:

8'06''
10'04''

Vertical:

32''
36''

Weeden didnt lift at his pro day or the combine so we cant compare those but Luck killed him in every event, and Luck isnt even considered that athletic. I could have compared his numbers to either RGIII or Cam's but we know he isnt athletic like those guys are.

KingGondo

Banned
Weeden didnt lift at his pro day or the combine so we cant compare those but Luck killed him in every event, and Luck isnt even considered that athletic. I could have compared his numbers to either RGIII or Cam's but we know he isnt athletic like those guys are.
That's simply not true.

Besides, whoever drafts Weeden will be doing it for his ability to throw the ball, not for his fucking broad jump or 40 time.

Plus...just look at him:

brandon-weeden-mug_t620.jpg

Still, I suppose he's less douchey than the ultimate douchebag...

jimmy-clausen.jpg

..and yes I'm just having fun with Weedon mainly because it gives me the opportunity to shit on Clausen who I'm happy to see wilt away as a career clip board holder
But seriously though look at him! I don't want this guy to be my Qb smh

Also, predicting success or evaluating talent based on school is silly.

Lets not put words in my mouth. I simply noted the college level talent Ok. State produced at qb recently. I could have said the same thing about Michigan state with Stanton, Hoyer (that asshole), and now Kirk Cousins. All guys who I see is good college qbs (well, not Hoyer) who i don't see translating to the NFL. Its nothing personal, just what i have noticed

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I dont see how you can say he is athletic. Here are his pro-day results compared to Luck's combine results:

40 yard dash:

4.98s
4.59s

3 cone drill:

7.36s
6.8s

Broad jump:

8'06''
10'04''

Vertical:

32''
36''

Luck is considered athletic, just not in the way RG3 or Vick is. Closer to Cam or Tebow (or like that one Stanford QB from ages ago..), in regards to size + power + speed. His College offense wasn't a form of the spread @ Auburn/Florida, so he didn't run as much. But the dude is a tank.

Top Bottom