• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

cdyhybrid

It's my birthday, braaaaaaaahs (do I have enough a's in there?). Can't fall asleep but I gotta get the dogs to the vet in the AM, work all day, get home to receive a 200 lb grill, then finally go out and enjoy a birthday dinner with my family.

Would be nice to do all that on enough sleep but doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Happy bday!

jakncoke

Banned
It's my birthday, braaaaaaaahs (do I have enough a's in there?). Can't fall asleep but I gotta get the dogs to the vet in the AM, work all day, get home to receive a 200 lb grill, then finally go out and enjoy a birthday dinner with my family.

Would be nice to do all that on enough sleep but doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

1 mark closer to the old club of gaf

Milchjon

Happy Birthday, AK! I could see you being a Jeff, so here's a cake:

new-england-patriots-21221099.jpg

Farooq

Banned
Another day, another delusional post by Farooq. How long before he starts posting "Restore the Yee-haw" or "Restore the Coke"

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said they were going to make the playoffs. All I do is skim articles and find stats that make the Cowboys look good...lol. The graph came from this article.

Delusions? I am not being serious nor do I assume that my posts are taken seriously. In all honesty, I feel the Cowboys will be lucky to be 8-8 this year.

Edit: Btw, Restore the Coke...That is some funny shit.

eznark

Banned
Ok, I have a real soccer question. I realize that fundamentally, the game is not significantly different from hockey (especially international hockey) which made me wonder why it bores me to fucking death.

Hypothesis: scoring opportunities.

I have no idea if the third world countries which love soccer can run complex mathematical formulas like "time of possession" on their abacuses but if they can what I would like to know is the percentage of time soccer is played within the equivalent of its blue line/red zone (the opponents zone, where there is a realistic chance of scoring...I assume there is some equivalent in soccer). It feels to me like the entirety of a soccer match is played within 20 yards of center line, aside from some free balls that result in a leaking offensive player getting a shot and inevitably shooting it into a defender or 40 feet over the crossbar.

Ok, I have a real soccer question. I realize that fundamentally, the game is not significantly different from hockey (especially international hockey) which made me wonder why it bores me to fucking death.

I have no idea if the third world countries which love soccer can run complex mathematical formulas like "time of possession" on their abacuses but if they can what I would like to know is the percentage of time soccer is played within the equivalent of its blue line/red zone (the opponents zone, where there is a realistic chance of scoring...I assume there is some equivalent in soccer). It feels to me like the entirety of a soccer match is played within 20 yards of center line, aside from some free balls that result in a leaking offensive player getting a shot and inevitably shooting it into a defender or 40 feet over the crossbar.
I don't know what a good site is for this information but you're basically looking for the stat where they break the field into thirds:

Screen%20shot%202013-05-09%20at%205.48.40%20PM.png

So for instance in that example a team had possession in the attacking third for 20.2% of the game.

It's true that the battle in mid-field is huge and a lot of times the goals are scored on quick breaks when the defense is out of position. When teams have time to set up their defenders and midfielders on defense, particularly teams composed of world class players like those in the WC, it's generally pretty difficult for an offense to break them down. It seems to me that fairly even matchups in soccer usually lead to defensive struggles. If a team is scoring 4 or 5 goals in a match it's almost always because the other team is much worse. You very rarely see something like a 4-4 match, for instance.

I don't know what a good site is for this information but you're basically looking for the stat where they break the field into thirds:

Screen%20shot%202013-05-09%20at%205.48.40%20PM.png

So for instance in that example a team had possession in the attacking third for 20.2% of the game.

It's true that the battle in mid-field is huge and a lot of times the goals are scored on quick breaks when the defense is out of position. When teams have time to set up their defenders and midfielders on defense, particularly teams composed of world class players like those in the WC, it's generally pretty difficult for an offense to break them down. It seems to me that fairly even matchups in soccer usually lead to defensive struggles. If a team is scoring 4 or 5 goals in a match it's almost always because the other team is much worse. You very rarely see something like a 4-4 match, for instance.

00912e01-b7e0-437f-9b92-8a3a5f03aa26-460x320.jpeg

Oh the memories.

jakncoke

Banned
July 13 after the game should recognized as a holiday for America, so that you idiots of this country can stop pretending to care about soccer through nationalism and for this thread to stfu about soccer already.

Milchjon

You can find some heatmaps (exemplary one). A quick search hasn't lead me to ones that aggregate across a larger sample size of games yet, though.

I would think that a difference to hockey lies in the size of the pitch and the time it takes players to cover that ground. Especially since the ball can reach pretty much any spot on the field rather quickly (I don't know much about hockey, but I assume that there are pretty much no high passes there), while a player's speed is limited, it would make sense that the players are a) more spread out and b) more stationary compared to hockey. Although that probably doesn't explain too much about why so much of it takes place in the middle.

Maybe it's influenced by the way the borders of the field/ice are set up. For one, because there's no playing field behind a soccer goal, and for another because there's an "out" that leads to a change of posession. So I could see an imprecise, long pass in the general direction of the goal, especially if no team mate is there (yet), be a more promising tactic in ice hockey. cause the puck won't leave the field. I'd say this leads to less time spent by the football in the vicinity of the goal compared to Soccer.

Oh well, ignore my rambling, there are lots of people here who know more about both hockey and Soccer.

Talon

Yeah, baseball can be super boring. I like it, but it's not for everyone. Like, I can't imagine being a casual baseball fan.

If soccer nazi's would accept that about soccer the world would be a better place.
"Casual baseball fans" are just people that like to drink at day games.

I have always had a passing interest in soccer since playing it as a kid but lately I've been paying more attention. Part of that has to do with Premier League matches working well with my schedule and part has to do with my FIFA obsession. I've always enjoyed the World Cup, though.

I can definitely see why people think it's a boring sport but I love the constant push and pull nature of it. The chances may not come all that often but it can happen so fast which keeps most matches feeling pretty tense.

Talon

You have to realize that your experience watching soccer at the World Cup is HEAVILY skewed by the fact that these rosters are very much thrown together. International games come in bursts of 3-4 games every couple of months, so there's little time for chemistry to develop. That's why you see so many fucked up deliveries and runs happen, particularly in group stage games.

Soccer fans as a whole really prefer club soccer because it's a much more crisp and fluid game since these guys actually are playing together 38 (league) + 20~ (domestic, international tournament) games a season.

eznark

Banned
You have to realize that your experience watching soccer at the World Cup is HEAVILY skewed by the fact that these rosters are very much thrown together. International games come in bursts of 3-4 games every couple of months, so there's little time for chemistry to develop. That's why you see so many fucked up deliveries and runs happen, particularly in group stage games.

Soccer fans as a whole really prefer club soccer because it's a much more crisp and fluid game since these guys actually are playing together 38 (league) + 20~ (domestic, international tournament) games a season.

Well realistically it (and when my kids play til they are old enough for real sports) is the only soccer I and most Americans will ever watch so for all intents and purposes it IS soccer.

Talon

Baseball has three hours where there are long stretches of nothing happening. Soccer at least has the ball in play for 45 minutes at a time.

I love Baseball, but I won't begrudge anyone for saying that it's boring. We literally let pitchers come in and get ten practice tosses in.

Sanjuro

Baseball has three hours where there are long stretches of nothing happening. Soccer at least has the ball in play for 45 minutes at a time.

I love Baseball, but I won't begrudge anyone for saying that it's boring. We literally let pitchers come in and get ten practice tosses in.

Except when the ball is in play for 45 minutes at a time, there are long stretches of nothing happening.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Whoa whoa whoa. I never said they were going to make the playoffs. All I do is skim articles and find stats that make the Cowboys look good...lol. The graph came from this article.

Delusions? I am not being serious nor do I assume that my posts are taken seriously. In all honesty, I feel the Cowboys will be lucky to be 8-8 this year.

Edit: Btw, Restore the Coke...That is some funny shit.

You'll have to forgive my confusion then since around here we have fans of teams that perennially win 4 or fewer games a season with delusions of winning the Super Bowl.

You guys are probably another 15 years out from going full :kas

You should start practicing though by adding "Restore the Coke 2014" to everything.

Talon

Well realistically it (and when my kids play til they are old enough for real sports) is the only soccer I and most Americans will ever watch so for all intents and purposes it IS soccer.
Well, there's also the MLS which is pretty much a league full of Dan Ugglas and Chris Houstons sucking at life.

Top Bottom