• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
asVYloS.jpg

Soccer.

Edit: Shame on anyone who doesn't know where this is from

eznark

Banned
If baseball wants to draw more soccer fans batters need to start screaming after every pitch as though they were just hit, falling on the ground and clutching their face.

If baseball wants to draw more soccer fans batters need to start screaming after every pitch as though they were just hit, falling on the ground and clutching their face.
The constant diving is without a doubt the worst part of soccer. There is no defense for it whatsoever, it's just an embarrassment.

Konka

Banned
Except when the ball is in play for 45 minutes at a time, there are long stretches of nothing happening.

Only if you assume that something happening = scoring. In which scenario the amount of time there is nothing happening in baseball is absolutely off the charts.

Baseball is the only sport I know where they actually have to do stuff like trivia and launching hot dogs from guns so that people actually have something to do at the game.

Dragon

Banned
asVYloS.jpg

Soccer.

Edit: Shame on anyone who doesn't know where this is from

IT Crowd is a great show. I liked when they had that website which told them what to say to discuss football yesterday.

You should watch a Red Sox game sometime, David Ortiz makes it abundantly clear that he still hasn't seen a valid called strike in his MLB career.

Talon

The "baseball rules" bullshit of puffing your chest without throwing punches is about 10% as cringeworthy.

eznark

Banned
Yeah but it feels like it is reaching critical mass right now. Players are starting to speak out against it and Latin players are essentially going full scale fuck you to it.

Of course, we see very different things. The Brewers have embraced fun for a decade while the Braves punch your wife if you smile. Though maybe they stopped that when Cox was sent to the retirement village.

Only if you assume that something happening = scoring. In which scenario the amount of time there is nothing happening in baseball is absolutely off the charts.

Average goals in last 7 world cup games: 2
Average runs in last 7 baseball game: 7

But if you think baseball is like insanely boring, why are you using it as a bar? That's like bragging about your kid for not raping homeless midgets. Way to go, you raised a winner!

Sanjuro

Baseball is the only sport I know where they actually have to do stuff like trivia and launching hot dogs from guns so that people actually have something to do at the game.

It's not always scoring. A good portion of hockey is setting up scoring plays. Soccer does this as well, they just fail more frequently, reducing all interest from potential viewers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
At least baseball crowds respond with the appropriate amount of enthusiasm. They know it's slow paced and that's fine because going to a ball game is about spending an afternoon drinking some $12 beers, sitting in 100 degree heat, and killing about three or four hours of your day.

Meanwhile, soccer fans go nuts the whole game even though the same amount of exciting stuff is happening.

Konka

Banned
Yeah but it feels like it is reaching critical mass right now. Players are starting to speak out against it and Latin players are essentially going full scale fuck you to it.

Of course, we see very different things. The Brewers have embraced fun for a decade while the Braves punch your wife if you smile. Though maybe they stopped that when Cox was sent to the retirement village.

Average goals in last 7 world cup games: 2
Average runs in last 7 baseball game: 7

But if you think baseball is like insanely boring, why are you using it as a bar? That's like bragging about your kid for not raping homeless midgets. Way to go, you raised a winner!

I just think it's odd to see fans of a boring sport hate on another sport because they say its boring.

Sanjuro

At least baseball crowds respond with the appropriate amount of enthusiasm. They know it's slow paced and that's fine because going to a ball game is about spending an afternoon drinking some $12 beers, sitting in 100 degree heat, and killing about three or four hours of your day.

Meanwhile, soccer fans go nuts the whole game even though the same amount of exciting stuff is happening.

Depends on the soccer fans.

I've only been to one game. The stadium was filled to about 9% capacity, food/drinks were just as overpriced, and nobody cared about anything. All you heard was a ball being kicked.

I just think it's odd to see fans of a boring sport hate on another sport because they say its boring.

I think it's odd of fans of the most boring sport grasp at straws to desperately reach an audience.

eznark

Banned

My new favorite thing is reading this thread during games and trying to guess the score. As a rational human you'll guess 4-0 but you know in your heart that it is 0-0.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Lacrosse is the inferior form of hockey. Cricket is the inferior form of baseball. Tennis is the inferior form of ping pong. Canadian rules football is the inferior form of football. Soccer is the inferior form of kick ball.

Konka

Banned
I think it's odd of fans of the most boring sport grasp at straws to desperately reach an audience.

I guess you haven't checked out the ratings showing these matches doing better than world series games, I don't know how desperate they are to reach anyone.

eznark

Banned
I guess you haven't checked out the ratings showing these matches doing better than world series games, I don't know how desperate they are to reach anyone.

How do they do against the Olympics? That seems like a much more fair comparison.

Talon

Really doesn't do any favors to compare a once every four years worldwide event to the third most popular television sport in the United States.

Vyroxis

Banned
So, the world's third largest crane was delivered to start putting up the new Vikings stadium frame. That thing is crazy big.

Konka

Banned
How do they do against the Olympics? That seems like a much more fair comparison.

I'm not sure, I'd have to look into that.

If that actually meant something, cool.

Olympics had good ratings too!

And now you're hating on you Olympics too, I just don't get having such a hateful attitude. It can't be good for you.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So, the world's third largest crane was delivered to start putting up the new Vikings stadium frame. That thing is crazy big.

I'm already anticipating the day when the roof buckles under the weight of 6 feet of snow in about 30 years.

Less than a million people watched the MLS Final.

That's College Softball numbers, breh.

Some of those chicks are decent looking though.

Konka

Banned

Sure but the MLS is shit compared to the WC. How many people watched the AAA baseball world series or whatever they have?

AC Milan and Manchester City are selling out Heinz Field in a couple weeks here in Pittsburgh.

Anyway I'm done with this argument. It has no end point.

eznark

Banned

That's probably not fair. How does the Premier League do? That seems to be the thing every twitter hipster is pointing to as proof of soccers impending American dominance.

Sanjuro

Sure but the MLS is shit compared to the WC. How many people watched the AAA baseball world series or whatever they have?

AC Milan and Manchester City are selling out Heinz Field in a couple weeks here in Pittsburgh.

MLS is considered the primary soccer format in the United States.

AAA is a development league for MLB, who is the primary baseball format in the United States.

The World Cup is held every four years...like another popular sporting event (HINT: It's the fucking Olympics).

I have no idea what an AC Milan and Manchester CIty are.

Draxal

Anyway I'm done with this argument. It has no end point.

Lol, compare Ice Hockey in the Olympics compared to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Dragon

Banned

Seems like if you want to discuss something seriously, you should probably figure that out.

Man City is also playing Liverpool in Charlotte next year.

The MLS is also getting better in terms of quality of the teams.

Konka

Banned
MLS is considered the primary soccer format in the United States.

AAA is a development league for MLB, who is the primary baseball format in the United States.

The World Cup is held every four years...like another popular sporting event (HINT: It's the fucking Olympics).

I'd wager more soccer fans are watching EPL because the quality of play is so much higher. You can make the comparison because soccer is a world sport and thus the MLS is more like AAA baseball teams and EPL and even moreso Champions Leauge are like MLB, it doesn't matter if they're US teams.

Sanjuro

Seems like if you want to discuss something seriously, you should probably figure that out.

Man City is also playing Liverpool in Charlotte next year.

The MLS is also getting better in terms of quality of the teams.

They aren't national teams, why should that factor into the discussion?

I know who Liverpool is, so if they play in the same league nobody really cares. We have them on NESN because John Henry hates the Red Sox.

I'd wager more soccer fans are watching EPL because the quality of play is so much higher. You can make the comparison because soccer is a world sport and thus the MLS is more like AAA baseball teams and EPL and even moreso Champions Leauge are like MLB, it doesn't matter if they're US teams.

You can't defend the argument against the sport being popular in the United States and then revert to "No, It's a WORLD SPORT!"

If regional interest doesn't grow, soccer is going to remain in the basement.

Konka

Banned
They aren't national teams, why should that factor into the discussion?

I know who Liverpool is, so if they play in the same league nobody really cares. We have them on NESN because John Henry hates the Red Sox.

Because MLS is the NFL Europe of Soccer. Most NFL fans in Europe would pay attention to it in passing but would rather watch the real deal in the NFL. MLS is getting better but it's still nowhere close.

You can't defend the argument against the sport being popular in the United States and then revert to "No, It's a WORLD SPORT!"

Sure I can. The sport being popular doesn't mean that MLS teams have to be popular. And that alone makes it uncomparble to the major US sports because there are no other countries with higher quality teams to follow.

Sanjuro

Because MLS is the NFL Europe of Soccer. Most NFL fans in Europe would pay attention to it in passing but would rather watch the real deal in the NFL. MLS is getting better but it's still nowhere close.

...but the United States doesn't have teams in Europe.

Sure I can. The sport being popular doesn't mean that MLS teams have to be popular.

It actually is a pretty big reason the sport isn't that popular. It's growing though.

Talon

These extreme US soccer fans that are under the delusion that sport has somehow already arrived make it really hard to be a soccer fan.

I mean, child please, I've been watching since Cantona flew into the stands, and I like the sport. But it's not even remotely close to baseball levels domestically and won't be for a while.

Top Bottom