• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

eznark

Banned
I'd wager more soccer fans are watching EPL because the quality of play is so much higher. You can make the comparison because soccer is a world sport and thus the MLS is more like AAA baseball teams and EPL and even moreso Champions Leauge are like MLB, it doesn't matter if they're US teams.

So, how do those leagues do, ratings wise, in the US?

Sanjuro

These extreme US soccer fans that are under the delusion that sport has somehow already arrived make it really hard to be a soccer fan.

I think that's the problem. They really don't see the overall clear picture and just keep blabbering.

I know a few of them in RI. They just load up the Irish pubs, and get violent when people disagree with them.

Konka

Banned
These extreme US soccer fans that are under the delusion that sport has somehow already arrived make it really hard to be a soccer fan.

I dunno, it almost seems like a lot of people in the US would be pissed if Soccer become more popular than homegrown sports, offended almost...

eznark

Banned

I mean, child please, I've been watching since Cantona flew into the stands, and I like the sport. But it's not even remotely close to baseball levels domestically and won't be for a while.

The mid-90's when everyone was pretending hockey was the next big thing because of their FOX contract made it very difficult to be a hockey fan. It's a niche sport and I am thrilled with that. Soccer fans should be as well.

Talon

The mid-90's when everyone was pretending hockey was the next big thing because of their FOX contract made it very difficult to be a hockey fan. It's a niche sport and I am thrilled with that. Soccer fans should be as well.
That seems like such a long time ago...the Bettman effect.

Sanjuro

So, how do those leagues do, ratings wise, in the US?

I think their overall viewership for the for the tournament reached about a million viewers, mostly in heavy Spanish speaking locations.

Something like that. Heard it offhand the other week.

Draxal

I mean, child please, I've been watching since Cantona flew into the stands, and I like the sport. But it's not even remotely close to baseball levels domestically and won't be for a while.

My favorite was how they tried to compare the World Cup rating to Giant and Jets games as a sign that its more popular than the NFL in the tristate. The Giants and Jets home numbers (Giants/Jets are 30/31th in local tv ratings as they cannibalize each other numbers).

Sanjuro

Yup. Hockey is still clinging on there, and it could have jumped up in popularity in the mid-90s onward. Problem was Gary Bettman had no fucking clue how to operate a hockey league.

BigAT

They were the best thing to happen to hockey.

glowing-puck-o.gif

God bless Fox.

Konka

Banned
Last year was Boston vs. St. Louis. In game six, they ended up with over 19 million viewers.

Total viewers yeah, it;s 5 million if you want that, I was using average viewership.

The average rating (percentage of households with televisions watching a program) was 8.9 and the share (percentage with TVs in use at the time) was 15 with an average of 14.9 million viewers. “The expectations were that it would have been more than that with two great franchises and two great pitching staffs,” Ferguson said.

Sanjuro

Total viewers yeah, it;s 5 million if you want that, I was using average viewership.

No, my total was the amount of viewers during the one broadcast.

Here is European soccer ratings in the United States for February of this year.

NBC posted its best monthly Premier League average with 1.1 million February viewers while NBCSN also set a monthly mark with an average of 508,000 Premier League viewers in February.

BigAT

Comparing TV ratings for a sport that maybe has 3 games played every four years to one that is played frequently and every year is such a shitty, disingenuous argument. Anyone that tries to paint it as a valid point deserves to be paraded around a Phillies game in a Santa Claus costume on dollar beer and battery night.

eznark

Banned
Comparing TV ratings for a sport that maybe has 3 games played every four years to one that is played frequently and every year is such a shitty, disingenuous argument. Anyone that tries to paint it as a valid point deserves to be paraded around a Phillies game in a Santa Claus costume on dollar beer and battery night.

That's why the discussion has moved to the leagues where it is played constantly. Maybe your complete inability to follow along is why you've become such a feeder. Your illness must have been more serious than we thought.

Sanjuro

I tried using the MLS as a benchmark, but I'm told it's not real soccer!

Top Bottom