• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/024/3/2/johnny_manziel___nfl_draft__14_by_hesslerstudios-d73jcnj.png

Johnny Squickened

I like that he's up front and center on the Browns.

But shoot I'm assuming the NFL schedule still gets released in April right? So they won't take the chance to put the Browns in prime time without the guarantee that Manziel will be drafted by them.

gutshot

I definitely disagree that Lane was a great pick. He was terrible this year in pass blocking and okay as a run blocker. I would rather have the lower upside but more solid guy then the high upside but bigger chance of busting. I also think WR is a bigger need then LB. They have DJax and that is it. Riley sucks, and is a FA, Maclin is coming off a major injury and also a FA, and Avant is probably the worst WR in the NFL. They dont have to address WR inthe 1st but I really hope that they address it in both FA and the draft. My #1 wish is for a S in the 1st round.

I agree that S is the team's biggest need and if they have the opportunity to land a stud safety in the 1st, they should do it, even if it means trading up. But I think OLB is second. The team lacked the ability to generate consistent pressure without blitzing. Even with all that blitzing, they only ranked 20th in the league in sacks with 37. Cole played better late in the season, but they need a true OLB.

Upgrading at WR should be a priority, but I don't think you need to spend a 1st round pick on one. I mean, we had the 2nd best offense in the league with Riley Cooper as our #2 WR. Clearly the offense works without needing two stud WRs. And I'm not even convinced that Benjamin would be a stud.

Re: Lane Johson, you should read Word of Muth on FootballOutsiders. He gives a pretty in-depth look at the Eagles O-line this year. Be sure to read the whole thing for more details, but here is his summary of Lane:

I’m not saying Johnson is a finished product by any means. Now that he’s not waist-bending and head-butting, he’s playing too high, but he’s gone from a good athlete that could run block a little and was a liability in the passing game to a solid overall tackle with almost limitless potential because of his athleticism. For someone that was supposed to be a bit of a project coming out of school, Johnson seems to have adapted to playing in the NFL pretty quickly.

I think you are being unfairly harsh on Johnson. He struggled early in the season but he improved a lot as the year went on and, as the article says, looks like he could develop into a stud.

squicken

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Johnny-Manziel-Billboard.jpg[/im]

Got dammit squicken stop it![/QUOTE]

I always wonder if these types know they do more harm than good. Why would you want your owner to force a QB on the coach?

MechDX

I like that he's up front and center on the Browns.

But shoot I'm assuming the NFL schedule still gets released in April right? So they won't take the chance to put the Browns in prime time without the guarantee that Manziel will be drafted by them.

Im pretty sure the schedule is made after the Draft

I always wonder if these types know they do more harm than good. Why would you want your owner to force a QB on the coach?

The backlash could potentially be worse that the damn VY situation in 2006. Sports radio will meltdown.

Bread

Banned
Jonathan Pigskin would be a great Patriot, Tom would show him how to walk the runway and Gisele could help with his form.

It's a bummer that Mariota and the two tackles stayed in school, I can only imagine the extra options that would have fallen to 20 and I'd feel pretty confident about having a shot at Lewan. As is, I'm pretty worried the Dolphins will snatch him up one pick before us.

I agree that S is the team's biggest need and if they have the opportunity to land a stud safety in the 1st, they should do it, even if it means trading up. But I think OLB is second. The team lacked the ability to generate consistent pressure without blitzing. Even with all that blitzing, they only ranked 20th in the league in sacks with 37. Cole played better late in the season, but they need a true OLB.

Upgrading at WR should be a priority, but I don't think you need to spend a 1st round pick on one. I mean, we had the 2nd best offense in the league with Riley Cooper as our #2 WR. Clearly the offense works without needing two stud WRs. And I'm not even convinced that Benjamin would be a stud.

Re: Lane Johson, you should read Word of Muth on FootballOutsiders. He gives a pretty in-depth look at the Eagles O-line this year. Be sure to read the whole thing for more details, but here is his summary of Lane:

I think you are being unfairly harsh on Johnson. He struggled early in the season but he improved a lot as the year went on and, as the article says, looks like he could develop into a stud.

That was an interesting read. I still think Lane gets beat the most but I do hope that the author is right and he becomes a great player. I would love to see the Eagles find a replacement for Todd this offseason. It seemed like there were a bunch of plays that teams got pressure up the middle because Kelce was sliding over to help Todd.

If one more mock has the Vikings taking Derek Carr I will snap.

Don't read the one from Walter Football ;) It's ok, I've seen him assigned to the Cards in many mocks and there's zero chance that will happen. Sometimes I think they make stupid choices on purpose so they can change the picks as much as they like to keep people checking all off-season long till the draft.

squicken

If one more mock has the Vikings taking Derek Carr I will snap.

Well the Vikes have straight said they are drafting a QB, though you gotta think they learned their lesson with Ponder as far as reaching. Not optimal, but Cassell isn't a bad choice to play while a later round pick develops

Don't read the one from Walter Football ;) It's ok, I've seen him assigned to the Cards in many mocks and there's zero chance that will happen. Sometimes I think they make stupid choices on purpose so they can change the picks as much as they like to keep people checking all off-season long till the draft.

I think Keim/Arians will try and take Mettenberger (assuming they can live with the off field stuff) or another big armed guy in a later round, sit him for a year, and go one more year with Palmer

e: Riverboat Ron got a 3 year extension. Good?

I think Keim/Arians will try and take Mettenberger (assuming they can live with the off field stuff) or another big armed guy in a later round, sit him for a year, and go one more year with Palmer
I've said this very same thing to you already ;) It's all good, we'll all be reiterating what we think/what we want all off season until FA and the draft actually happens. BUT we'll get nice little fluctuations from the all-important Combine hehe

squicken

I've said this very same thing to you already ;) It's all good, we'll all be reiterating what we think/what we want all off season until FA and the draft actually happens. BUT we'll get nice little fluctuations from the all-important Combine hehe

haha yeah draft is months away. combine and FA still to come. Lots of moving pieces. Just talk. QB class didn't turn out as hot as everyone was saying it would be

Narag

Sapp has been complaining for years about Strahan’s sack record of 22.5, which Strahan set in the last game of the 2001 season when Brett Favre appeared to slide down in front of him intentionally to hand him the record. Sapp said while they were both still playing that there should be an asterisk next to his record because it wasn’t a real record; Strahan responded that there should be a McDonald’s next to Sapp’s house because Sapp is fat.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/28/sapp-says-strahan-doesnt-belong-in-the-hall-of-fame/

haha yeah draft is months away. combine and FA still to come. Lots of moving pieces. Just talk. QB class didn't turn out as hot as everyone was saying it would be

Yeah and neither did LT considering two of the top prospects stayed in school and the Kalijandro or whatever his name is from AL hype train died. He looks like he might be a Levi Brown 2.0 or solid RT at best. I'm particularly interested in FA this year because even if the Cards don't make a splash with signing Albert, the Dolphins doing so would be almost equally influential on our draft as that would significantly increase the odds of Lewan falling to us.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I`m very disappointed in Jahvid Best suing the NFL and Riddell. The guy was trying to get cleared to play by numerous doctors, none cleared him for obvious reasons, and now all of the sudden he wants to sue the NFL?

He has a workers comp. issue with the Lions, but that is easily resolved and thats why companies from construction to the NFL have workers comp. insurance.

Now it seems like he lawyered up just to get some more money. I`m not sure I can fault him for that, but why did he continually try to get medical clearance to play again?

Did we ever get any resolution on Martin/Incognito? What ever happened to the Aaron Hernandez investigation?

I want answers!

mlb_wilsonpic1_400x600.jpg

Isn't this old news? Why is it front page of ESPN that he's getting a baseball card?

Syrinx

"We need to see more of this from Thomas Dimitroff."

...What? You mean trading away numbers of high picks for one guy for the second time in four years, when your team already had its major depth issues exposed last year, including on your offensive line which caused your franchise QB to get battered around like a pinata?

Fuck, I hope the Falcons listen to that guy.

Did we ever get any resolution on Martin/Incognito? What ever happened to the Aaron Hernandez investigation?

I want answers!

Isn't this old news? Why is it front page of ESPN that he's getting a baseball card?

Martin/Incognito report will come out after the superbowl so we should know by then and hopefully or Oline coach gets fried after that, I have no idea why he's still on the team.

rando14

Martin/Incognito report will come out after the superbowl so we should know by then and hopefully or Oline coach gets fried after that, I have no idea why he's still on the team.

Didnt they look at the texts and they showed Martin sent equally vulgar texts to Richie too?

Who knows whats going on!! :-S

Here is an article talking about the Best suit. Interesting that they say he is showing some signs of concussion syndrome but not anything severe yet, seems they are suing more on potential future problems. I wonder if he has a chance to actually win and what he is asking for.

Didnt they look at the texts and they showed Martin sent equally vulgar texts to Richie too?

Who knows whats going on!! :-S

Yeah once that came out everyone figured Martin was full of shit and went along with all the 'bullying' like the dolphin players said. After that not much has been heard or said but we'll find out next week.

e: Riverboat Ron got a 3 year extension. Good?

Was just about to post about this.

I don't think he's an amazing coach, but he's certainly not the worst. At this point, I think there are more terrible HCs in the pool than really good ones. I'm fine with keeping him around and seeing what he can do with (hopefully) upgraded talent at the skill positions and defensive secondary in the next few years.

Shula on the other hand.
Facepalm.gif

Why can't we find a middle ground with OCs? We went from stupidly predictable with Davidson to way too fancy with Chud back to stupidly predictable with Shula.

Yeah once that came out everyone figured Martin was full of shit and went along with all the 'bullying' like the dolphin players said. After that not much has been heard or said but we'll find out next week.

What's the point? Everyone on the team is a lame duck until Philbin is fired.

BigAT

Strahan's response to Sapp's latest round of stupidity:

"I'm all hype. I lasted 15 years on all hype. had 141 1/2 career sacks. All hype. I was always a starter. The coaches put me out there because that was hype. I played left end, that made me get sacks. Reggie White, he was hyped too. Didn’t he play left end? Yeah, I was all hype."

Keep your distance and anticipate stops so you're applying the breaks at a longer distance and apply them slowly if the car starts to glide don't start turning the steering wheel like crazy, stay calm try to steer slowly towards where you want to go and let go of the accelerator until you feel you caught some traction again. Don't accelerate or stomp on the breaks oh and don't accelerate into turns, nice and slow.

Here are some more tips:

http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Car-in-Winter-Weather

But slow and steady should get you safe to where you want.

LJ11

Best was great talent, not only did he have speed/acceleration that were off the charts, but his vision was excellent. Good pass catcher too, shame what happened to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom