• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

I never understood why it dropped off so fast. Did they fire their writers after one season? Did it have something to do with the strike? That's what happened with The Office. You can tell when the Writer's Strike happened. I believe it was half way through Season 3.

The original plan for Heroes was to have a new cast every season, but it did so much better then they expected the 1st year that they scrapped that plan, and so the writers had to scramble and come up with a new plan.

JABEE

If that why the office became so shitty?? I almost made it all the way through but I couldn't continue the final season, I stopped about 3 episodes in, it was just so god awful

I think it was Season 4 actually. That's always been my theory. I'm not sure if a bunch of writers left or not.

JABEE

He's been excellent this year imo. Pretty consistent as well. PFF has him ranked third behind 1. Revis and 2. Sherman for what it's worth.

I'm glad to hear he is doing well with you guys. I knew he could be a great player. Strange to see him leaving after this season. He is probably on the verge of getting guarantee money. Seems he wants to leave while he's on top and before he gets slow. Doesn't make much sense, but who knows, maybe he has his money invested somewhere and doesn't feel the need to go back into football and risk his body.

I'm glad to hear he is doing well with you guys. I knew he could be a great player. Strange to see him leaving after this season. He is probably on the verge of getting guarantee money. Seems he wants to leave while he's on top and before he gets slow. Doesn't make much sense, but who knows, maybe he has his money invested somewhere and doesn't feel the need to go back into football and risk his body.

I can see it, the SB is the ultimate goal for a football player, If he wins it he can walk away healthy and rich. Maybe he doesn't have the drive like Manning to continue at such a high level after already winning one but he doesn't need too.

Godslay

Banned

Yeah, or it could be a tactic to drive up his price. Either way I believe that he wants to retire if he wins. Good for him if that's what he wants to do. If he's smart with his money (no used Bimmers or $30 lunches) he's set for life.

cdyhybrid

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 18m
THIS JUST IN: The Dallas Cowboys have hired former Lions OC Scott Linehan to call offensive plays.

(via @mortreport)

squicken

Wonder if they'll take turns calling plays.

It's nuts. Callahan was OC last year and wants to go to CLE for the same job, but Jerry is making him stay. Meanwhile Garrett never wanted to give up play calling duties and now just had Linehan forced on to him.

Yet Monte Kiffin is still the defensive coordinator b/c Jerry won't admit he made an awful mistake last year

It's nuts. Callahan was OC last year and wants to go to CLE for the same job, but Jerry is making him stay. Meanwhile Garrett never wanted to give up play calling duties and now just had Linehan forced on to him.

Yet Monte Kiffin is still the defensive coordinator b/c Jerry won't admit he made an awful mistake last year

So Callahan will do nothing next year for the Cowboys? What a terrible situation that will be for him.

squicken

So Callahan will do nothing next year for the Cowboys? What a terrible situation that will be for him.

He's an excellent offensive line coach, and he did a great job at getting the Cowboys' OL fixed. So he's back to that role. I can see why Jerry wants to keep him but it makes for an awkward setup there

Bread

Banned
I graduated with my MAcc but I avoided the CPA track...took a job with the government instead. Remember, you don't have to work for a CPA firm...you can go straight to private. People need CMAs and what not. Being CPA eligible is a huge advantage wherever you end up.
I know finding a job wouldn't be a problem as a CPA, but is it worth the immediate 2 extra years of schooling? Or is it something I should go back to later on in life once I have some money saved.

eznark

Banned
BfCG2NgCcAAGw2D.jpg:large

squicken

Of course it isn't exactly good news for the Browns that Callahan was their dream OC and now they have to settle. Not even sure who is left. Kyle Shanahan? Loggains?

eznark

Banned
Of course it isn't exactly good news for the Browns that Callahan was their dream OC and now they have to settle. Not even sure who is left. Kyle Shanahan? Loggains?

It's going to be a long, long time before the Browns ever get their first choice of coaches.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I know finding a job wouldn't be a problem as a CPA, but is it worth the immediate 2 extra years of schooling? Or is it something I should go back to later on in life once I have some money saved.

Going back later is a pain. A very few places will pay for it but for the most part it's hard to go back especially if you have a wife and kids or whatever....plus you don't want to miss out on a years salary after all of your expenses are adjusted to however much you make. I often hear "I'd love to go back to school but I can't afford it because of kids/mortgage/etc."

Your MAcc or Masters in Tax isn't like an MBA where it's worthless without experience. Lots of colleges are wanting to implement 5 year programs where the whole thing is integrated and that's what you'll compete against on the job market. Also being CPA eligible allows you to get promoted faster and/or removes barriers to promotion later in your career.

I'm pretty sure most programs are also only 30 semester hours...MBAs however can be three semesters to two years.

Ultimately it really depends on what you want out of your career because grad school is not cheap. If you're looking to use accounting as a springboard into somewhat related job functions like margin management or as a controller....it may not be 100% necessary. If you want to do internal audit, taxation, or something that is very accounting based then yes, get your masters.

squicken

Dream OC seems like a bit much ..

That's true. I guess the of the remaining "name" coaches

Hard to get a read on why Kubiak said no. I know the Browns said he wanted too much power but that seems like spin.

It's going to be a long, long time before the Browns ever get their first choice of coaches.

Just from press reports, Banner and Lombardi don't seem well thought of. Or they are taking all the heat for Haslam acting impulsively

Isn't Shanahan coming with Kubiak?

No. Seems like Kyle and Kubes were in competition for the job, and Kubes got it

Bread

Banned
Going back later is a pain. A very few places will pay for it but for the most part it's hard to go back especially if you have a wife and kids or whatever....plus you don't want to miss out on a years salary after all of your expenses are adjusted to however much you make. I often hear "I'd love to go back to school but I can't afford it because of kids/mortgage/etc."

Your MAcc or Masters in Tax isn't like an MBA where it's worthless without experience. Lots of colleges are wanting to implement 5 year programs where the whole thing is integrated and that's what you'll compete against on the job market. Also being CPA eligible allows you to get promoted faster and/or removes barriers to promotion later in your career.

I'm pretty sure most programs are also only 30 semester hours...MBAs however can be three semesters to two years.

Ultimately it really depends on what you want out of your career because grad school is not cheap. If you're looking to use accounting as a springboard into somewhat related job functions like margin management or as a controller....it may not be 100% necessary. If you want to do internal audit, taxation, or something that is very accounting based then yes, get your masters.
Thanks for this, much appreciated. The biggest reason I wasn't planning on the extra year was just to get out of the north east and move somewhere nice. If I don't get any interest from companies after graduation, I will most likely do the extra year. I just want to work for a small company/brewery on the west coast, so I'm not sure if the CPA is necessary yet. I'll see how it goes before making a decision.

That's true. I guess the of the remaining "name" coaches

Hard to get a read on why Kubiak said no. I know the Browns said he wanted too much power but that seems like spin.
I actually kinda like Loggains, and for Callahan seems like a shitty situation in Dallas for him.

Drakeon

It's hilarious to see Jerry overcompensate for his fuck up with firing Rob Ryan by keeping Monte Kiffin on for another year. The Dallas defense is going to be a fucking joke again next year.

ShaneB

Only 219 days till opening day from today! :-(

=( I know the rest of the Hockey season will keep me entertained until June/July, so that's helpful, but I think Football has overtaken Hockey as my favourite sport. So I'll have to get use to the long offseason. Plus I just joined a Madden 08 PC league, so that could be fun. lol

Farooq

Banned
He's an excellent offensive line coach, and he did a great job at getting the Cowboys' OL fixed. So he's back to that role. I can see why Jerry wants to keep him but it makes for an awkward setup there

Yea, one of the main reasons I wanted him to stay was because of how he helped develop Tyron and is helping with the development of Frederick. He is an excellent o-line coach.

The o-line also runs the zone blocking scheme extremely well. However, Jerry micromanages the Cowboys to mediocrity again.

Top Bottom